Johnson & Johnson Medicated Penaten Cream

No Image

4.9

Petrolatum, Zinc Oxide, Lanolin, Talc, Aqua, Panthenol, Hamamelis Virginiana Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Water, Allantoin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Paraffinum Liqidum, Glycine Soja Oil, Alcohol, Parfum, Beta Carotene

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This 18% zinc oxide cream is meant as a treatment for diaper rash and other irritations. I wouldn't know about the diaper rash myself, not having had any children, but it does work to calm down rashes on my face and elsewhere on my body. I also use it as a sunscreen in a pinch, although this is extremely whitening. The only thing I am not so crazy about is the tub packaging, but I can live with that.

Medicinal Ingredients: Hamamelis Extract (Witch Hazel) .527%, Zinc Oxide 18.724%

Non-medicinal Ingredients: Panthenol 1.055%, Allantoin 0.211%, Cetylpyridinium Chloride 0.106% in Penaten Cream base

My guess as to the contents of the Penaten Cream base are petroleum jelly, lanolin, talc, sorbitan sesquioleate, and (unknown) petroleum distillates.

Source: Use of Penaten to Control Zebra Mussel Attachment

HTML summary: HTML abstract

In PDF form: PDF of article
continued >>

on 6/28/2012 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is probably the weirdest beauty secret I've ever heard, but it really works. I have dry, sensitive facial skin and this is my SOS-night cream for when all else fails. It seems to put moisture in where I need it and literally suck the moisture OUT of blemishes -including cysts. I wake up in the morning with a moisturized face and little dried marks where zits used to be. The biggest con is that it's ugly -this is not a cream that soaks into your skin. It is an extremely heavy moisturizer that stays white and can rub off on pillows, bedsheets, and clothes. It's also not super natural, and I cringe a little thinking what my face is absorbing.

on 7/4/2009 5:14:00 AM

if you want to get rid if pimples, this is the safest cream you can use!Furthermore,I have read that lots of women use diaper rash creams as night creams. I don't know if it has anti aging properties, but it is regarded as more trustworthy than other moisturizers/night creams.

on 1/6/2015 1:12:00 PM

I found a seemingly very very weird use for this stuff, and that is lighten my foundation with it. crazy, i know!!! but it works for me! i have a hard time finding foundations that match my skintone, so that really was some discovery for me!!!! :-) actually, i just discovered this cream recently and since my colleague once told me she used it on insect bites, i purchased it. been using it on a blemish and it seems to work for that too. i was glad to discover it doesn't smell of baby (what i feared it might, since it is used as diaper cream a lot) but it smells hardly of anything to me. I read it was supposed to smell citrusy what it doesn't do to me. Anyhow I mostly use it mixed with my foundation. It gives it more staying power also, which is great! might get whitewashed if i use too much. One tad is enough. but that works perfectly!!

on 4/13/2013 1:18:00 PM

I use this cream for every type of skin irritation. It works great for rashes, burns, pimples, or to heal cuts and scrapes. My mom used it on me and my siblings since we were babies so I have always had a container of this around. I now use it on my three boys, as a diaper cream and for all the weird little rashes they get! Packaging is not so good, the lid always comes off. One time I bought it in a tube like container which was better but it wasn't the exact same formulation but still worked well.

on 4/27/2010 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I use this or everything. As a mask, spot treatment, for dryness on my face or rest of the body, after shaving to calm the skin. It's a miracle what this can do. Best for rough lips. I put it on during the night and in the morning they're supersoft again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I get heat rash through out the summer and was told years ago to use diaper rash cream, which I did and worked well. Recently I have been getting heat rash on my stomach, between my boobs and chest. Picked up this product and WOW, worked like a charm. I read more about zinc and heard it could be used as pimple cream, and what do you know it works very, very well.
Quit wasting your money on acne products and grab a tin of this, you will not be disappointed. The packaging is ho-hum, the lid seems very loose. So if you travel be sure to put it into a ziploc bag. Other than that, wonderful product.

on 12/11/2007 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've been buying this for years. Not for my kids, as I don't have any, but for myself. As already stated by the people below me, it works great on zits. I've also found it to be great for when you shave/wax your bikini line. It really soothes the bumps and acts as a protective barrier between your skin and clothing...

I'm surprised more people do not know about this.

on 5/12/2013 9:51:00 PM

It is also great for rosacea.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This really surprised me in a good way. I've had it in my drawer for ages and decided to use it as an emergency product for these weird spots i get on my cheek occasionally. I have sensitive skin and instead of a breakout my skin gets red, itchy and is a bit swollen and very dry around that area. there is nothing that can soothe it except for this stuff. It is very white and will make dry skin very visible so yes, only really wearable at night but will do a good job.