Essie Plumberry

Essie Plumberry

4.2

on 12/14/2017 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Amazing red creme that looks like it should be basic but is actually quite special. It looks a little dull and unpromising in the bottle because of the plummy undertones (hence, probably, the name), but on my hands turns into a complex red that defies categorization. It’s too velvety and ripe to be merely a bright, but too glowingly juicy to be ever described as vampy. Too red to be really seen as any other color, but has enough pink in it to be modern and avoid a too-literal retro vibe.

It’s both youthful and sophisticated at the same time. I think the purple undertones make this shade especially suited for skin with yellow overtones but cool-to-neutral undertones... and no, it’s not just Asians and light-skinned POC who have this kind of skin, I’ve seen it in a lot of pale blondes and redheads as well.

Application is good... Essie shades have rarely given me trouble, but this is on the smooth and velvety side even for Essie. Quite opaque at two coats, though it builds beautifully to three. Lasting power is also good, especially with a good top and base coat... I’ve seen the reviews that say this chips more than other creme nail polishes, but I don’t think that’s been the case for me. I also like that this comes in the old bottle with the “essie” mark embossed into the glass, rather than printed on.

on 6/3/2017 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a pretty jewel-tone red with a cool fuchsia undertone. In indoor lighting, it looks like a classic red, but in sunlight it really comes to life. It has subtle hints of hot pink and plum in sunlight, though I find it dries darker and more red than it looks in the bottle. I wish the fuschia tone was more apparent. (If you prefer a slightly stronger pink undertone, try Essie Double Breasted Jacket.) I find 2-3 coats look best.

Orly Bonder is my go-to base coat, and I finish off with the Essie Gel Couture Clear topcoat. Both extend the weartime of this polish noticeably.

on 6/26/2016 8:58:00 PM

Plumberry is a juicy raspberry shade that has a slight jelly-like finish when two coats are applied. I use this with a topcoat of Seche Vite and find it to be very long wearing with no chipping issues. Great for summer but just deep enough that it works in cooler weather as well.

on 6/6/2016 12:35:00 PM

One of my favorite Essie shades because it is seasonless. The blackened undertones make it totally fall-worthy, and I gravitate toward cremes in the winter, but in spring and summer, I want a punchy shade for my pedicure and Plumberry delivers with a poppy red. One coat looks fine but two coats make this unstoppable. I don't have any trouble with chipping Like previous reviewers.

$8.99 at CVS.

Beautiful shade of red. On my hands it is more red than pink or plum and one coat looks much better than two. The polish is super pigmented and the colour is rather intense. Only problem with that is it chips. The first time I used it applied two coats of it and a coat of Essie Good to Go on the top, and it chipped the very same day. I have worn it a few times since then and it has not lasted more than two days even though I have used topcoat each time. I will buy it again because the colour is gorgeous, but it is a bit disappointing that it does not last long on the nails.

A bold pink-red, raspberry cream; it has decent coverage and isn't streaky but is not a one-coater. The drying time is average. I have had no issues with early chipping with this shade, unlike other reviewers.

on 1/15/2015 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I agree with sparklybeauty 100%. The color is beautiful but it chips off within a day. Essie Polish are priced at $20 in Australia which is robbery. I purchased mine on sale for $9 but it's not worth it. The brush is thin & flimsy, formulation chips off within a day ( and I have tried it with base coat & top coat, nothing works!) and it doesn't go on as OPI.
I'll stick to OPI & illamasqua polishes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is a beautiful red toned raspberry polish and looks stunning. It's a nice alternative to red and the application is as expected with Essie: smooth without streaking or being too gloppy. I'm able to cover my nail with a few even strokes.
I got several compliments about how glamourous my nails looked and it was this polish.
A perfect shade for the fall.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Omg love this color!! Only color I kept re-painting on my toes over and over and never got sick of! Def less boring than a plain old magenta but not so over the top it can't be worn to work. Perfect balance of bright and muted. Great color for fall, very flattering for my more tan skin but I can see it looking great with many skin tones!! No color in my collection like it, even if it isn't a crazy color!

on 8/3/2013 3:52:00 PM

Lasts long, gorgeous rasberry color. (I love rasberry colored stuff :3)
One coat looks ok, but I prefer 2 coats.

Popular Polishes