Lavanila vanilla grapefruit

Filtered by hair type : Other
Lavanila vanilla grapefruit
LaVanila Vanilla Grapefruit (full-size)

4.2

I really like this. I notice that on my sister, the vanilla note seems to be stronger. But on me, it's definitely more citrus smelling. It seems to vary from person to person, so you definitely might want to try it before you order it.

I do like that it's not too sweet. I love vanilla, but sometimes scents with vanilla can come across as really young and too sweet. This is not too young, but not too mature either---and it's not overpowering, so it is a perfect everyday scent. I notice some of the criticism in the reviews is that it's not long lasting. It really was long lasting to me, but maybe I'm just extra sensitive to scents.

I like that the ingredients here are more "friendly" and less chemical----my skin is super sensitive, so I didn't have any problem with my skin reacting badly to it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I LOVE Vanilla Grapefruit! :-D Got it as a Christmas gift after loving it in Urban Outfitters months before. I do have to say it is strong the first 10 or so minutes of wearing it, but nothing bad. Just a LOT of grapefruit. But if you stick it out, it fades into the vanilla, and the longer you wear it, the vanilla becomes the prominent note. The vanilla isn't too sweet at all...in fact, it smells like you rubbed vanilla extract on you! Very real and not at all fake, which I love. The best part is, after reapplying it once yesterday, I thought the smell was gone-turned out that my nose had just stopped smelling it. When I woke up in the middle of the night, it was on me and filled the air pocket under my covers! I've never enjoyed breaking my sleep cycle so much! Pure vanilla goodness! Though you might have to put more on, it does last a while..about 14 hours for me,yesterday. And I hade no rollerball problems, the parfum came out easily. Get the rollerball if you're unsure, like I did, and go from there. The fragrance and healthy ingredients definitely make it a great way to spend $19!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got this at Sephora the other day because they were offering atomizers filled with any perfume for $10. I quite literally smelled every perfume in the store, and this was the only one I fell in love with.

I don't wear perfumes very often (and therefore don't know anything at all about the different layers and notes); I mostly don't wear perfume because I feel most are too astringent-y smelling and harsh, and they don't smell natural. However, vanilla grapefruit was not like that at all. It smells warm and all the notes blend well together. The vanilla isn't overpowering at all (which I sometimes find in other vanilla-scented things, like it smells *too* vanilla-y and too sicky-sweet). This is just perfect, and the cedarwood is subtle and is the perfect touch (honestly one of my favorite scents).

The staying power is also good. I spritz some on at the beginning of the workday and find that by the time I get home for the night, I'm still smelling good.

When I run out of the atomizer, I will definitely purchase the full bottle.

I've had this scent in my collection for a couple of years and eventually, I always come back to it. This is essentially two different perfumes wrapped into one sleek little package. Of course, I realize that scents are constructed of base notes, mid-notes, and top notes, and transform throughout wear, however, this fragrance really changes from a citrusy, fruity-yet-warm composition, into a smoky, creamy vanilla, with no in-between moments of transformation.

The first half-hour or so on my skin is when this scent is most beautiful, most addictive, and most unique. The lime is very present here, and mixed with a splash of grapefruit and laid out on a warm base of vanilla and cedarwood, it's like nothing I've ever smelled before. Even, expertly-blended, intoxicating. As it dries down, it really loses the citrusy feel and becomes very creamy, with a touch of smokiness. Think birthday-cake-candle smoke, not the campfire smoke of say, Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. If you've tried other scents in the LaVanila line, you'll find the drydown quite similar to the drydown of their Pure Vanilla scent - once the patchouli has worn off.

Overall, this remains an HG fragrance, though I wear it mostly for the first half hour of its sillage. The dry-down is still lovely, though far less original than the opening, still - definitely not unpleasant. I seemed to get far more compliments while wearing Pure Vanilla (mostly from men), and I think that's because it's a big stronger and more bourban than Vanilla Grapefruit, which smells less like the actual vanilla extract that goes into a cake and more like the finished product.

Everyone will react differently to Vanilla Grapefruit and I recommend spraying it on the skin and allowing it to go from citrusy to sweet before making a purchase. Gourmand lovers may find the drydown most appealing, but those who prefer light, citrusy scents may be disappointed with what remains after the first moments of wear.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

I don't love this. I bought it for my purse. It has a nice drydown, but the opening notes are so bright and almost .....green?! I usually love citrus fragrances, but there's something quite masculine in the opening which I'm finding in a lot of fragrances these days. It fades eventually into a round comforting vanilla, but it takes about 30-40 minutes.

I own the large bottle of this and while I do not normally like the smell of grapefruit, this one dries down to a soft sweet vanilla with just a little hint of grapefruit. The staying power is really good as well.

Great pick-me-up scent. This and Pure Vanilla are my absolute favorites from the line - although I have and love them all. :) I love how this scent lasts all day, especially if I spray on my clothes. Spraying this in the morning really helps me feel a little better. Will always have a bottle around. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this perfume. I decided to try it out after watching a Sephora Beauty hour on HSN. Since it was the small roll-on, and it was much less than the $56 for the regular size bottle, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try it. I'M SO HAPPY I DID!! One of the things I miss most is not being able to wear perfume any longer (chemical sensitivity). Many of the "natural" perfume oils caused me grief as well. Not only do I love the smell of this product but I haven't had any adverse reactions to it!! As for the smell, it has the sweetness of grapefruit but the smoothness of vanilla. If you're familiar with The Body Shop's Vanilla products, imagine this rich smooth smell (make's me want a vanilla latte) with the sweet smell of a ruby red grapefruit. If you're a person who craves more of a floral scent then this may not be the item for you. If you're a person who enjoys the smell of citrus, vanilla, mild sandlewood (think cruise to islands type of smells) then you will like this item. I'm def planning on sampling the other scents. I really hope they add more to the line.EDIT: My friend liked the way this smelled on me so she decided to get one herself. IT DOES NOT SMELL THE SAME ON HER!! It's the weirdest thing. I'm inclined to believe that body chemistry plays a HUGH part in how this smells on people. On me it smells identical to the way it smells from the bottle. On her, it only smells like vanilla! No grapefruit at all! I don't know if it has to do with our diets or what (she's a smoker and drinks and eats EVERYTHING/ANYTHING. I'm the complete opposite). This is definitely one that I would suggest people try out for a couple of days first.

on 4/25/2008 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This fragrance is an oddity for me. I mentioned to the SA that I liked grapefruit notes & she suggested trying this. I loved it when sprayed on a card - lovely balanced mix of citrus & tempered vanilla & took a decant to try for a day or two. On the skin however the grapefruit disappears very quickly to leave a sugary sweet vanilla & nothing else. The drydown is so over the top sickly sugar cookie on me that its bothersome; I'm not fond of foodie scents to start with, & this one is just too much. Don't know if they make a candle of this, but if its more like the scent on the card I'd buy it in a heartbeat - just not getting it anywhere on my skin. If you like sweet vanillas you may like this, but its not quite right for my style.

ETA - so I wear this for a couple of days to use up the decant (I can't bear throwing out scents unless they are scrubbers, & then I'd rather give them away) & boy, do other people (cough:men:cough) like this on me. I may have to try the other scents in this line to find something I like (and they like ;D)

It's funny that the negative reviews for this say it turns musty. It does, in fact, turn a bit musty on me as well but I really like it. Something about this reminds me of Bond Chinatown. I don't think there are many shared notes between the two but the overall effect is similar on me. It's a fairly unique scent and I like the lasting power.

Popular Fragrances