Lipstick Queen Lipstick

Lipstick Queen Lipstick

4.4

I have been using YSL Rouge Volupte Shine #8 as my every day nude lipstick for 3 years now and just as it has started to run out I found Lipstick Queen and am so happy that I did. I purchased Bare Nude from the Saint range, hoping that it would be a good replacement for my almost gone YSL go-to and boy am I pleased. It is almost an exact dupe BUT lasts longer. The packaging is wonderful and light with a gorgeous matte gold exterior. I will definitely be repurchasing this if I ever need to!

on 2/4/2016 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

In the 1990's I had most of Poppy's lipstick colours and can remember when the last of them was used up... it was a sad day. It was the day my quest for a decent, long lasting, full coloured, non-drying, matte lipstick, began. There was the occasional find (Orlane, Dior, Guerlain and even a Maybelline) pretty much all of them were discontinued. Why on earth do cosmetic companies do that?!

Lipstick Queen are simply the best lipsticks I have ever owned. I am 50+ and have been a lipstick investor 😄 all of my adult years.

Over the years I have used all of the top end and all of the low end brands of lipsticks and was never totally happy with any of them and never repurchased

For a while I settled on the long lasting 2 packs (Max Factor Infinity, L'oreal Infallible, Chanel). They coloured my lips ok, and they do last but they never looked glam. In fact I think my lips looked smaller using these products.

The length of time a lipstick lasts on the lips is one of the most important features of a lipstick for me, along with the colour and feel of course.

Recently while rambling through the internet continuing my obsessive hunt for the perfect lipstick, I came across Mecca.com and Lipstick Queen... I was shocked to find the Master (Mistress?) of Lipsticks is back! I felt so connected to her that I felt a little betrayed that she hadn't personally contacted me to let me know she was creating her second generation lipsticks.. I got over that pretty fast and got right on to the serious business of restocking the best lipsticks in the world. Yes that's right, I am not exaggerating.

That was only a few months ago. As I now live in fear of losing Poppy King's lipsticks to the ever-present risk, in the cosmetic consumer world, of discontinuation, I have been ruthless in my purchasing.

The Sinner and Velvet Rope range are described as matte and are close to the original Poppy brand only not as dry. This second wave of mattes are moist and have some sheen. They outlast all other lipsticks by hours and the colour range is much better. I generally use the Sinner colours for my first application which is done with care usually at home in the morning. I use the Saint range for retouching through the day, (the Saint lipsticks are in the same colours only much sheerer).

The Saint range are more like the balmy feel of Clinique's Black Honey, Dior Addict, or Guerlains Divinora, only the Saint lipsticks last longer and leave a slight tint of colour on the lips after a few hours. The LQ Saint lipsticks colour choices are much better too.

The only criticism I have of the Saint and Sinner range of lipsticks is the writing on the base is very small and the labels are not colour coded - so I can spend a frustrating few minutes trying to find a particular shade. I do use them all, by the way.

The Velvet Rope lipsticks are in a league of their own. They are expensive $70 Australian, $50 US. Unfortunately there are only 5 colours, most of these are really unique/strong colours. I think if there were a few safer shades available in this line that more people would give it a go, because of the price and the courage required with all of the Velvet Rope colours it will sadly not be an option for many shoppers, particularly online buyers. This lipstick lasts like no other, it feels like a slight veil of fabric has settled on the lips and it stays true to colour for hours on the lips. Hint ...the Velvet Rope - Black Tie is an amazing medium/deep red that would be perfect for the palest blonde to the darkest ebony. It is not nearly as dark as it looked to be on my iPad.

I have 2 of the Bete Noir range, the Sheer and Intense. These lipsticks are a beautiful plumb, the Intense matte is a dark beetroot colour, or the colour of the outside of a ripe dark plumb. With one swipe the Intense gives your lips a deep crimson. I tend to put this on my bottom lip and press my lips together - so that would be half a swipe. The Sheer is carried around through the day for retouches and is the most perfect colour, like a drop of red wine on a white table cloth. It is soft and sheer and lasts for a few hours. They are both comfortable to wear. I have also found if I use a LQ, balm like Frog Prince underneath the Intense, that the colour is softened by a few shades, to the most beautiful berry red.

Hello Sailor - Gimmick mood lipstick/balm - this is a balm that reacts with your lips to give a unique lilac shade to suit you. This does not do flattering things to my lips. I have found it useful to change the colour of another lipstick. I have used this over Saint Coral and the result was a lovely scarlet red. So this is a rescue remedy for other colours I may not be that excited about. It's Blue...

Frog Prince - A big improvement on Hello Sailor only this turns your lips to a natural looking pink. The pink does stain so it is great for a bit of colour when you aren't up to a full face of makeup. It is very natural looking and a lovely balm - its green. That seems to excite some people...

Medieval - a nice sheer red, balmy type lipstick that is easy to apply and like the Frog Prince leaves a tint on your lips. Great for retouching through the day and no mirror necessary.

I have also tried the Cupids Bow Crayon in Apollo and it is a lovely shade of crimson that is similar to the Bete Noir range in shade, not sure on its last-ability yet though.

As general comment - both the colours and finishes you will find in Lipstick Queen are unique. You will not find the complexity of colour or variation in finishes that LQ have, with any other brand. How good is it to be able to buy a deep matte colour and the same colour in a sheer, and use the matte for the first careful morning application and the sheer for retouches in a busy day. I don't know if this was the intention but this is one of the benefits of LQ.

My only criticism of all of the products listed above is the tiny print and the need for colo

To Read all 40 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/17/2015 1:18:00 PM

I have two of the Saint variety. They're ok, but nothing to write home about. Just glorified lipbalms, really. Certainly NOT worth the high price.

on 10/6/2014 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I am very disappointed. Deep Red Sinner is not matte at all. In fact, it's very shiny and wet-looking. Of you're a matte lipstick lover. Stay away from Deep Red. I'm not sure if I got a dud, but I sure am not buying other Sinner shades. I'm giving it a 2 because it's still a good lipstick. Maybe people who like MAC's amplified or satin formula would like this more. It's very pigmented.

on 10/1/2014 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have bare nude from lipstick queen which is an essential day to day colour to have! Lipstick queen is amazing! Not only does it apply smoothly on the lips but it does last for a very long time! I have dry lips, so when I wear lipstick it can often dry up and look clumpy and uneven, however my lips stayed hydrated with this lipstick! I know its pricy but I would recommend it to anyone, because you will have a lipstick that works instead of buying cheap ones that fade fast; its an investment!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

A few years ago I bought Saint Berry. When I tried the tester on my hand, it looked quite sheer, so I bought it. However, on the lips it is rather opaque, but not in a bad way, as it still looked satin. I have very sensitive lips, the vast majority of lipsticks make my lips dry and peel, I usually stick to Clinique for this reason. But Lipstick Queen is very good, there is no scent and no irritant. I recently bought the color Hang Ten from the Endless Summer range. It is a lovely pale peach pink and it is quite sheer, which I like. I am thinking of getting 1 or 2 more from the Saint range. Probably due to the popularity, the price of these lipsticks have rocketed, which is a shame.

on 2/11/2014 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I got this in Saint Sunny Rouge, which is a lovely coral-red shade. After years of hearing about the awesomeness of this brand, I spent an afternoon researching the different shades & finally shelled out $22 to get one of my own. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed.
PRO- the Saint formula is really thick & opaque, considering it's supposed to be a sheer line. So I can tell they have really pigmented formulas.
(Big) CON- It was really drying & irritating. I have dry lips to begin with, and heard this brand was fine for other ladies with the same issue. Not so much. This is the only lip product I've tried that actually causes my lips to start peeling within an hour or so of application. I couldn't wait to remove it.
If you have no lip issues, this is probably a fantastic product! Just didn't work for me.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

I have used three of these lipsticks now two sinners (berry and natural) and medieval. So here is a summary of each:
Natural
You can see my other review of this but over time I have found that this colour does not cooperate well with other makeup - the pigment is so strong it swallows lip liner whole, it becomes gloopy with any gloss over it and generally when worn with a full face of makeup (tinted moisturizer, mascara, liquid liner and brows) it made me look like a mannequin. Despite these issues I continued to wear it with little to no make up and eventually passed it on to a friend, who loves it.
Final assessment: Lovely colour but beware of the high amount of pigment, perhaps wear a full face of makeup when testing these colours.

Berry
I love this colour and literally scraped out the bottom and made a balm to finish it. This is a bit of a 90's colour, but in a good way. Remember that brown Naomi Campbell used to wear on the cover of every magazine in the early 90's, for me this is that brown! Its warm, has a hint of red but completely brightens my face. It can be worn everyday and looks amazing with cream tops. Out of the three this is the one I would consider buying again
Final assessment: Take a look at this colour if you love the classy type of 90's looks.

Medieval
I have only a couple of millimeters of this left. I really like this but I got it on ebay and would be annoyed if I had paid full price for this as it is essentially a red tinted lip balm that leaves a slight stain. I purchased this for 11 back when it was selling for 16...it costs 20 now! Granted I am always surprised at how deep the stain is, how long it lasts and how moisturizing it is but then again I'm pretty sure that Dr Pepper lip smacker could do the same thing for a fraction of the price.
Final assessment: Lovely...but a rip off

UPDATE: Rust (sinner)
This makes my lips look... sensuous and pouty for such a pigmented colour it looks quite soft. Like Berry it completely brightens up my face. I have no point of reference for this colour; the MA said it looked a bit coral on me, but it looks burnt red when I wipe it off so I'll say that this is a browny burnt red shade. I love this for everyday, no need for lipliner just a bit of balm underneath.
Final assessment: The name is unappealing but don't sleep on Rust Sinner

on 6/21/2011 6:25:00 PM

Saw it online cause of some good reviews. Such simple product, really like it, but the bottom fell off of mine :(

Overall pretty nice!!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I love pigment-rich lipsticks. The sinner collection has a few beautiul shades. The rose shade is super flattering and the wearability is excellent. Like Julie Hewett Lipsticks (JH is a little thicker), they can be a bit drying. I prefer to line my lips, apply once, blot, and then reapply. Using this method, I can have perfect lips even throughout coffee and a morning snack. The staying power is better without gloss. I just make sure to moisturize my lips at the end of the night.