Revlon Shiny Sheers in Sheer Mauvy Star

No Image

3.3

I am very fair, cooler-toned, and like subtle looks so a sheer mauve gloss-lipstick looked like a great choice for a my-lips-but-better look. However, (at least for my skintone) I have pigmented lips and this did not show up at all. I was expecting at least a tiny bit of color but this is invisible. Even on my hand or wrist, this is very sheer. This shade is probably best suited for those with lightly pigmented lips. Although this shade is a disappointment for me, I also bought the cherry one and find it to be a nice wearable red. It looks like I will have to stick with the red and plum shades in this line.

on 8/18/2008 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The sheerest possble mauve lippy you could ever imagine. Not so good. At least, not on me. Revlon is famous for its lipsticks but this one disappoints. Big time.

I do like this shade, but it's my least favorite of Shiny Sheers. While the color is gorgeous in the tube, it doesn't show any color on my lips. These lippies are very sheer, so I didn't expect a lot of color, but I did expect there would at least be a subtle tint of color. But no, not really any color at all. Just glossy shine. Which is fine, but oh well.

on 8/28/2007 6:54:00 PM

Nice natural lip color for me. Almost like a YLBB. I would use it like a lipbalm that is just a bit more flattering.

on 10/5/2007 5:02:00 AM

This is where the rubber meets the road when it comes to comparing the drug store lipsticks with the department store brands.

For instance, I keep giving the drugstore brands like Revlon a try. The colors all look so wonderful in their display racks and the colors have a nice sound to them. They're all duplicates of the ones seen in dept. stores. However, we know that the similarity in appearance is where the likeness ends.

The tube of Sheer Mauvy Star is the best drugstore lipstick/gloss I've bought in a long time and it most closely approximated the lipstick by Estee Lauder (from last fall, I think) called, "Grape Dandy." Same packaging, same tube, etc.

The Revlon Mauvey Star would be almost identical to Estee Lauder's Grape Dandy were it not for the fact that Revlon has made their product mostly petrolatum and paraffin/wax and just a hint of color. The Estee's version has twice as much color and the product is still mostly sheer.

I wish the drugstore brands would put at least 25 percent more coloring in their products. As it is, these lip color tubes are more suitable for a four-year old playing house than a grown woman.

I love this! This is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I think about "sheer" lipsticks. Other companies that have sheer lipsticks always seem to make them almost opaque. Although others were complaining that this is too sheer, I actually like the fact that they are. These are really wearable, and it is definitely a "your lips but better" product. It gives them a lot of shine for a lipstick, and this actually has a bit of a blue tinge to it, yet gives my lips a sheer wash of a mauvey/wine color.
The blue in in doesn't show up much on my lips but it does balance out my warm skin tone. The only problem I have with these is the problem I always have with revlon (besides their LE collections)- the horrendous packaging. I mean, to others, it might not seem so awful compared to even cheaper brands like Wet n Wild or whatever, but the shiny, black packaging that revlon has just irks me so much. What's worse is the tacky gold lettering/stamp in an awful font on this tube of lipstick. The gold print wears off so quickly, making my lipstick look tacky and cheap. I guess I'll deal with it though, cause I really do love this product.

on 3/28/2007 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the first Revlon shiny sheer lipstick I have tried and I love it! I honestly can't say that about any drugstore lipstick in a very long time. I have fair skin and almost no pigment in my lips so this color, while sheer, does shoes up on my lips as a really pretty, very slightly shimmery, light mauve. If you have pigmented lips this color might not be strong enough to show up on you. I find myself reaching for this almost every day in the past 3 weeks since I bought it. I don't expect it to be long lasting as that's the price I am willing to pay for sheerness, which I require in a lipstick. I like the fact that I don't need to apply any lip gloss on top of this and that it feels moisturizing on my lips. I also really appreciate the fact that there is no scent and wish more cosmetic companies would figure out that many people don't want their cosmetics (especially on the lips) to be scented. I compare this very favorably to my beloved Bobbi Brown SPF lipshines which I also adore but cost approximately twice as much as this lipstick. I will definitely be looking to get another color or two and will repurchase this color when it runs out.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

Goodness--like the name says, this lipstick is sheer. Very, very sheer. Other than a bit of shine, you cannot see this on my lips. The lasting power stinks, too. I'm not impressed.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is on sale for $4.99 CAD at London Drugs, so being a fan of sheer lipsticks, I picked "Sheer Mauvy Star" up because mauve usually suits my colouring nicely. It's in a slim black tube with a cap that clicks shut - simple and elegant packaging, I would say. However being in a slim tube means you really are not getting a lot of product for the price...but I knew that. This colour is a very sheer mauve, with tiny blue flakes providing a subtle cool cast. (the flakes are not visible on lips) Sounds good, except the colour is SO sheer, it barely shows up on my pale lips. Layering it over my usual Cover Girl Outlast Smoothwear lipliner in Natural can create the my-lips-but-better look, but I don't think I should have to do that in the first place. And here's the kicker: it's not very moisturizing. Within an hour or so I feel like a little gloss on top is needed. Granted I have dry lips to begin with, but this is somewhat disappointing. The SPF 15 is nice, but overall, I don't see myself buying this shade again.

on 2/6/2007 11:39:00 AM

Sheer Mauvy Star is a beautiful MLBB looking glaze with a cool cast. I am loving this color right now, especially with my lavendar hued eyeshadows. Doesn't last any length of time on your lips, but I wouldn't expect that anyway--I use this as a lipgloss in convenient stick form. Moisturizing feel and beautifuly sheer color. I've tried 4 of the Shiny Sheers so far and they've all been flattering. Great option for a sheer lipstick--the formula is just as good as Clinique & BB sheer lippies. I'll buy this again, and the other shades too!