4.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

I absolutely love the smell of this product, and love that it's natural. I really like John Masters a lot, too.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Tan

HairBrown

3 years ago

Compared to drug store brands, yes this product is pricy. However, as everyone has said, a bit of product goes a long way. One container has lasted me months and months, and there is little else out there in the natural market for styling products. This product does a good job of adding texture and volume, and also controlling my hair. I'll definitely repurchase.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

from

4 years ago

I have wavy long fine damaged hair, and use this on a daily basis to create an effortless beach hair look. I take about a pearl size and work it through my wet hair, and put it in a bun and let it air dry. Then after my hair dries, I take a little bit more and scrunch it through my hair, and it lasts all day. The texture of this stuff is sticky so I was worried that it would leave my hair sticky/greasy/stiff but it doesn't at all, and instead leaves it soft and textured. And it stuff smells delicious- exactly like their blood orange and vanilla body line ( But sadly the smell doesn't linger.) It comes in a glass jar with a screw on lid. I purchased mine at whole foods around $20 and I think it will last me a while considering how little I have to use. I like the ingredients as well. Will repurchase!

About reviewer (162 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Tan

HairBrunette

5 years ago

Very happy with this! I have fine, thin, wavy, shoulder-length hair that can be static-y in the dry (northeast) winter and limp in summer, and this has worked through the late winter into the summer this year. I like a full, volumized, piece-y look, which is not always easy to get with my hair. This stuff, though--I combine it with a Nexxus mousse I've used for years (apply a small handful of mousse, then add this on top), and my hair is a dream all day. Soft, shiny, thicker than usual, touchable and with body yet has that piece-y, tousled look--it's just ideal. I actually had the woman at the place I go for laser ask what I used the other day, which impressed me, given that I assume she knows everything about products. Loves: that it's all natural and is doing good things for my hair and scalp/skin while doing such a great job with styling, so my conscience is clear about what I'm using. Notes: I really only need the tiniest smear for my past-shoulder-length hair. Don't be dismayed by the size of the jar. It will last forever for me. I had to experiment with how much to use initially, and too much made my hair lank and greasy. Not a good look. You can really feel it coating your hair, so start extremely small and work up from there. UPDATE 8/10: after several months of using this, I am pretty pleased to say my lifelong split ends and breakage have been dramatically reduced. It's been at least two months since my last haircut and I've been using this every day since. I can barely find a split end, and my hair still looks great every day. AND I'm not even a quarter of the way through the jar. I haven't really changed any of my other products, so it has to be this. Pretty impressed!

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

6 years ago

This works fine to add shine and definition to my shoulder-length, curly, very thick hair, though on its own it does not provide enough care, so I usually use some hair oil first and then work a little amount of this stuff into my hair afterwards. As everyone says, this smells delicious though the scent fades within a minute, so it is suitable for those sensitive towards perfumes. The texture is very thick and hard to spread on longer hair, but the results are above-average. Still not sure I wold repurchase given the price level.

About reviewer (91 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

7 years ago

I liked it better a couple of years ago, before they changed it, although i's less sticky now. Nice smell too and I only need the tiniest amount in my thick hair, so a jar lasts me a year, which makes up for the hefty price.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairRed, Curly, Medium

8 years ago

I love the John Masters Organics line. I use multiple products for hair, body & face, and love them all. Once I moved from the dry climate of California to Michigan, I realized I would need something to help my hair in the humidity. This stuff is awesome. It smells delicious, can be used in wet or dry hair and is wonderful at taming fly-aways. I use a tiny bit in the ends of my damp hair before styling and that usually does the trick. If my hair is really dry or it is very humid I rub the teeniest bit between my hands and smooth it over my dry hair. This really helps keep your hair soft, smooth and shiny. The price is not bad either, considering you only need a very minute amount. (my hair is past my shoulders.) Will definitely be keeping this as a staple in my bathroom cabinet.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

9 years ago

Kudos to benz909 for her thorough review! I don't have much to add to what she said, except to repeat the pros: this smells incredibly fabulous (but is not so strong as to be overpowering), makes hair very soft, is versatile, and goes a long way; and the con: the effects you get don't last. This doesn't have the staying power of even a whipped wax. However, I find myself using it a lot on my short, thick, fine hair. If I just air-dry my hair, I use it for a little control and to tame frizzies and flyways (it is THE BEST product EVER for taming flyaways). If I use my Graham Webb Brit Style Moussing Wax (another great product), it's sufficient to add pieciness and tame anything that got misdirected when blowdrying. If I use salt spray and whipped wax, I still use it on my bangs to piece them out perfectly and to smooth the sides a bit. I got this for a song on eBay and I'm glad I did--it's the most versatile styling product I've ever used (and I've used a lot) and also the best smelling. I would repurchase, even at full price.

About reviewer (1188 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Other, Medium

EyesBlue

9 years ago

Completely fabulous in every possible way. A little goes a long way, which helps enormously to justify the price. Very decadent, luxurious natural hair product, that provides excellent results. Lovely scent as well. Crazy about this product.

About reviewer (65 reviews)

Age

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

9 years ago

I put "yes" to buy this product again, but I'm still on the fence. While I do love this product and John Masters, there are a few cons to this... Let me start by saying I never have used styling products in my life for my hair...simply because I have a ton of hair (would take too much time to do anything to it ...like blow drying it...urgh) and I let it dry overnight. I am also hair styling challenged... My current hair routine consists of his lavender/rosemary shampoo and a variety of conditioners (his citrus neroli, burts bees hair repair grapefruit-shea, or his lavender and avocado conditioner). My hair is medium-thin and like I said, I've got a ton. Naturally, it is wavy. But sometimes my hair looks too flat, or too poofy or a little frizzy on the back (weird I know). I picked this up on a whim. Rare of me. It is very small in size, but honestly I just lightly tap my finger in there once or twice and I've got enough for my hair. How I use it: Either mix it with my fingers and run it through my hair (more "oompf") or to tame friziness at the back (flat) or scrunching my hair with my fingers (for volume) Sometimes I use a combination of these. Pros: -little goes a long way -scent (i hate the real scent of tangerines, but this is AMAZING) -makes the hair amazingly soft -not greasy, even if used in the scalp -good amount of control with product -does give volume or flatness, but not extreme (i like this however...looks natural) -does add some shine, but not a lot Cons: -the effect doesn't last... -doesn't control friziness in humidity throughout the day A ton of pros that should outweight the pros...however if my hair doesn't look as fabulous two hours later as it does when I first put it on, then that's quite a shame. You are left with however, super soft, finger run-able hair during the day...which is nice. It doesn't weigh down my hair and it isn't full of silicone to give a false sense of smoothness and softness. So you really are getting a high quality- well formulated product. I would still recommend it.

About reviewer (72 reviews)

Age19-24