Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

I have been using Differin for about 8 months now. My skin is more clear now than I ever imagined was possible. I have had pretty nasty acne since about age 11. Before using Differin, I was able to get a lot of the acne under control by improving my skincare routine, but after the only AHA product that worked for me was discontinued, there was not a single product out there that could battle the closed comedones that were all over my cheeks. I was scared to use Differin because of all the horror stories I read about online, but eventually I got desperate enough to cave in and buy a tube.

I did not experience any purging at all while using this. I noticed a sudden drastic improvement after about 3 weeks of use, and from there my acne gradually faded into nearly nothing. Differin doesn’t 100% prevent breakouts for me, but it completely cleared all of my closed comedones and my breakouts are infrequent and not severe.

During the first few months of use, Differin caused slight dryness and intense sensitivity for me. Most products caused burning on application and I experienced a little bit of flaking. Applying vaseline to sensitive areas before applying Differin is a good way to prevent irritation. After 8 months, my skin is still more dry and sensitive than it ever has been, but it’s not as bad as it was the first few months. A lot of products still burn and my skin needs a lot more hydration/moisturizing than before. But I’m more than willing to deal with it in exchange for clear skin.

If you have acne and feel like you’ve tried everything to get rid of it with no luck, spend the $12 to try this out. I used to not be able to leave the house without a full face of makeup, and now I don’t even own foundation.

on 10/19/2018 8:47:00 AM

So this is a very premature review - I’ve only been using for a week - but I’ve already started to see results! I don’t have terrible acne, but in the last few weeks, my chin has been erupting with really big, deep, painful pimples (I think it’s hormonal??). So off I went to Walmart to find SOMETHING to help. Originally, I was planning on picking up some Neutrogena acne products and a face mask, but I saw the differin gel and decided to give it a try. I had some minor peeling for about two days only, but nothing major. And it started helping! My giant pimples weren’t going away, but they were definitely shrinking! I’m nervous because I’ve heard there’s a major purge period around 2-3 weeks, so I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t get too bad! In general, my skin is looking a little better though, so I’ve been thrilled! In the mornings when I wash my face (I only use the differin at night), my skin definitely feels more sensitive - the skin around my mouth and nose is a little dry and almost sore (if that makes any sense!), but I just make sure to use tepid water and load up on moisturizer and then I’m fine. I got the larger tube that supposedly will last for about 4-5 months. I’m curious to see how well it works over the next month or so as we head into much colder weather. As long as it keeps clearing my chin, it’ll be a definite repurchase!

on 10/10/2018 8:48:00 PM

A retinoid that now is available OTC in the US, this is a lightweight gel formula of 0.1% adapalene. In the UK it is still prescription only. It is effective for the treatment of mild to moderate acne, acting to settle inflammation, "loosen" sebum plugs, and more effective skin cell turnover. Some people will experience a purge in the first few weeks - I personally didn't, but it is a known issue. As the retinoid acts to normalise skin cell division and turnover, the increased activity can aggravate pores with sebum plugs as they come to the surface. After that, skin noticeably appears clearer and smoother, although it can take weeks for it to reach maximal results.

I use this myself, I'm prone to hormonal acne and oily skin but this has dramatically improved the overall evenness of my skin tone as well as reducing both inflammatory and comedonal acne lesions. First week or so I had to use on alternate nights as I did get some dry, tight and flaky skin, but now I use it daily without issue. I do still get premenstrual breakouts, but lesions are not as inflamed and tenacious as they once were, and I feel the number of lesions overall is reduced.

Of the most commonly used topical retinoids - tretinoin, tazarotene, isotretinoin, and adapalene - adapalene has the weakest effect on fine lines and wrinkles although it does still improve their appearance, Just not as much as tretinoin, so in my opinion this one is best suited for use as an acne treatment rather than as an anti-ageing one. It also has the mildest side effect profile of the lot in terms of skin irritation. Compared to retinol, which must undergo conversion by skin cells into an active form, it has a much more noticeable effect on acne, and is backed up by clinical trials and evidence. I'm really happy with the way this is clearing my face, would recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone with mild-moderate acne. Just make sure you wear sunscreen in the day!

on 9/27/2018 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

After finding this I will not be with out it. Always hav exta tube along with the mositurizer. Spent years and years trying to find something to stop breakouts. Helped more than anything else and I tried it all. Just so happens I am in my 60's and still hav breakouts if I don't use this. It is not harsh and I follow with differin mositurizer. Only products I hav ever stuck with ever.

on 9/25/2018 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Did experience a slight purge in the beginning but they went away days later. Used a pea sized amount every other night for 2 weeks then nightly after that. Im in my mid forties & my skin has never looked better! Bye bye acne!

P/S: DO NOT FORGET to wear a substantial amount of sunscreen in the day. EVERDAY!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to try differin (Idk if I used it with a prescription when i was younger) again since the .1% is now available otc (.3% still need a script for it). Since I've had a bad experience with retin-A, the retinoid ingredient is much milder and easier on the skin. Before I learned that I have to put it on AFTER my night cream or else applying it before the cream makes it spread around and get into areas where it shouldn't, thus making it burn. I also started using sunscreen more often while using this as well as a more gentle cleanser for during the retinization process.

This did not work on my deep-seated closed comedones despite having used it every night for years. However, it provides less irritation and sensitivity than tretinoin and helps to control oil production and pore size. Over time, it also smoothens out the skin. I use this on alternate nights with tretinoin 0.025% cream for acne control. It is a milder product that would be most suited for sensitive skins who cannot use tretinoin

on 7/24/2018 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

This gel made my skin rougher, drier, oiler and pimples multiplied. Since I stopped using this my skin is slowly getting better.

I am 30 and I’ve had mild to moderate acne since I was 16. It’s not mostly hormonal around my jaw line with a few hear and there. I’ve had enough of it so I decided to give differin a try. I’ve been using it for 6 weeks. This is not a product that gives quick results, although I am now finding that it is helping my skin a lot. I did have an initial break out /purging about 2-3 weeks in. I could see the stuff coming out of my pores and hard white heads that I could pull out with tweezers and breakouts. It sucks but it’s also good to know that all that stuff is coming out of your pores. I think I am not past the purging and my break outs are subsiding. My break outs are also healing much much faster and everything comes to the surface extremely quickly and then heals. What really helped me was watching dr dray on YouTube. She’s a dermatologist. She recommends that you moisturize your face while still damp in order to reduce moisture loss. I use the avene tolerance extreme emulsion moisturizer. It’s amazing. I am very sensitive to ingredients so it’s a basic moisturizer that works. I also stopped using harsh face washed and I stick to cerave moisturizing cleanser. After moisturizing my face I use a tiny amount of differin fall over. I have also been using some benzoyl peroxide over that to help with the initial break out but that might cause burning and irritation for some people so be careful. I also use Lilly of the desert aloe on my face to help with the irritation with a small drop of glycerin for added moisture if needed. If my face starts to feel burning and irritated I will stop the differin for a day or two and moisturize and use aloe until that feeling goes away. Do not use differin if your face is burning and irritated because it will get worse. Take a break and then resume once it’s gone. :). It’s all about listening to your skin and keeping irritation to a minimum. I really feel like this stuff is helping my skin a lot. My skin heals way faster and I can see that my pores are clearer. Also my skin is more even. It’s also important to note that you NEED to wear SUNSCREEN with this or your face will burn extremely easily even if you usually do not burn. I am sensitive to a lot of sunscreen but I am using derma e mineral face sunscreen (oil free) with no issues.

on 12/14/2017 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

I used this product for 10 months. It had no effect on breakouts or blackheads (however, I don't suffer from severe symptoms; I'm just chasing that unicorn of "perfect" skin). Differin did give me an "orange peel" texture on my forehead and cheek area, which still hasn't completely gone away. I will not purchase simply because it was an extra step in my routine that did nothing beneficial for me, unfortunately.