DIFFERIN Acne Treatment Gel

DIFFERIN Acne Treatment Gel

3.3

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

If you suffer from hormonal acne, try this if nothing has worked before going to the big guns. Based on what I’ve researched from infinite resources most acne is hormonal but I’m no scientist so I’ll refrain from stating that as canon. I’m a hound when it comes to information, I like to see both and all sides and the whole shebang before I try or give an opinion. After growing frustrated with what I was realizing was a persistent case of acne on my jaw and the resulting hyperpigmentation from their healing, I decided to try this. I considered just going straight to tretinoin from alldaychemist but I believe in a progressive way to testing things. I had started with all sorts of OTC retinol before getting this with the goal of advancing to a low grade tretinoin and sticking with it for years until slowly upgrading to the mid level and stopping there. This method has helped me immensely and so has this product. I started using it in January of this year, had a small purge the second week of using it and it was gone within two weeks. Since that little purge I haven’t gotten a single pimple during my periods. Not one. I’ve been using a pea sized amount 3x a week every week for the last four months. Or three? I think three.

My forehead wrinkles have also been greatly reduced. So have my laugh lines and trust me I had very pronounced ones. My teeth are my best feature and I’m a goofball so I laugh often. That results in my having some very pronounced nasolabial folds that make my cheeks look like chipmunk cheeks since I still have a full baby fat face. They’re nearly gone. Differin isn’t supposed to be as potent for wrinkles and scars like the original tretinoin, but you could’ve fooled me. Maybe not dramatic or too deep wrinkles perhaps or maybe I’m an anomaly. Now I just look like a chubby cheeked human with baby butt skin. To me baby butt skin is the definition of perfect skin and this thing gave it to me. Mind you I still have slight “freckles” but they’re more like small raised moles, called “dermatosis papulosa nigra”. They’re indeed a hybrid of moles and freckles and quite common in people with a black or African ancestor that had them. Not all black folks, mixed or nay, have them much like not all Asians have slick straight hair. However they too have been minimized to a nearly invisible degree. Now they look like tiny freckles as opposed to slightly larger rounded dots. I’m still not done with my first tube mind you. I bought the big one. But once I finish it I will proceed to the tretinoin.

All I have to say is that despite its stance as a deviation of retinols, it is potent and a very well crafted product. It gets it done and it does FAST. You just have to brave that purge. I can understand why some many people would be horrified by it, since I hated when I’d get my monthly attack of pimples and though they would heal fast I loathed the spots. I grew up having the most clear, well mannered skin until I started experimenting with makeup and having bad lifestyle habits. To me it was like falling into an ocean of ice cold water when my periods brought acne on with a vengeance. However I decided to own up to it and fix it and let me tell you, this fixed it. I use this and the sunscreen frequently. Mind you my nose blackheads refuse to go away but they have minimized to the point that even I with my 20/05 vision (what my doctor calls eagle eye vision) can barely see them from even up close. And before I could see them from afar. Highly recommend as an acne treatment AND as a transition to the higher levels of retinol. Do be prepared with hydrating gels and creams because it can dry your skin or make it flake sometimes.

on 7/24/2018 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

This gel made my skin rougher, drier, oiler and pimples multiplied. Since I stopped using this my skin is slowly getting better.

on 8/17/2017 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

So far (3 weeks) I notice this makes my skin smoother, more sensitive, and also makes breakouts come to the surface faster than usual. Not overnight or anything, but breakouts do come to a head faster.

Sadly, this does not prevent breakouts from cosmetics. If I put on a problematic powder, foundation, or sunscreen, I WILL get pimples from it as per usual.

The way I apply this is after moisturizer at night. I wash my face, put either Differin Balancing moisturizer or Vanicream Light lotion on damp skin, let that set/dry, and then I put on a layer of differin gel all over. After a minute or so I dab either PC 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide, or 10% BENZOYL peroxide Persagel. I far prefer the 10% as my face is a frigging mess of breakouts at the moment. I can tell its getting better though, which is at least a relief from the annoyance of getting wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and acne at the same time.

Using this makes my usual chemical sunscreens burn a little, but I still use them because I tried switching to FOUR different mineral sunscreens and they all caused me breakouts and some burned my face (Neostrata, Neutrogena, Clinique, Paulas Choice), setting me back in the improvements I was seeing with the aid of differin gel.

I plan on sticking with this for at least 3 months. Hopefully this works.

Video Reviews & Tutorials