Differin Gel

Filtered by eye Color : Green
 Differin Gel

3.8

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I have sensitive, combination skin with mild but stubborn acne, in my 30s. I'm so glad this is now available without a prescription. It's changed my skin dramatically for the better. I no longer need to use benzoyl peroxide, which is effective but drying. I've tried tretinoin (Retinin A) but my skin is just too sensitive.

A few tips:
* It will take a few weeks to see a result. Skin cycle time is about 6 weeks, plan on it. I saw results in 3 weeks.
* Apply immediately after cleansing to be most effective, unless you are trying to reduce irritation, in which case apply after moisturisers.
* As this is a retinol, your skin may purge. I didn't, possibly because I switched directly from BP.

I purchased this because I wanted to see if this would work for me instead of using retin a. I will say this works very well and on my skin is quite gentle. I have been using this for months daily at bedtime and am very happy with the results. My skin is clear and smooth. But I do still get hormonal spots that I sometimes have to use my retin a on. Reason being the Differin gel works but it's not as strong as retin a so it takes longer for spots to go away. I had a cluster of underground spots and it took months with the differin gel to finally clear it. In the end I did use some retin a to finally get rid of the acne spots I had. So I rated this 5 lippies because if you don't mind waiting and putting in the effort in time this does work.

But if you are still dealing with spots for quite a long time I find the retin a works better. Now granted one is now otc while the other is by RX. So I find now that I use them both but not at the same time. I use differin gel daily while I'll spot treat with the retin a when I have a spot that's taking forever to heal. The Differin gel though is an excellent product no doubt about it as both me and my sig other loves it. I use it on his spots too but he only needs it as a spot treatment. For me it comes down to speed and convenience if you have the patience to use this for the long haul it will work. But if you want speed and rapid exfoliation the retin a is the route to go.

I will continue to use differin gel everyday and that is the key with this you must stick with it. I find it very gentle and it's a great daily acne treatment. So to me this does work as long as I use this daily without fail. Also I do not peel at all with this whereas with the other I peel and that's something I really dislike. So for me I prefer the Differin but if I want anti aging use plus acne treatment the retin a is better hands down. So if you're looking for an acne treatment my advice with this is to just stick with it. Give it at least 8 solid weeks or longer. It does work and it does work well. Plus being able to get this otc I think is excellent and a great product for me. Also the fact that it's so gentle makes it a great product for my sensitive skin. Recommended.

on 7/17/2017 5:04:00 AM

This stuff saved my actual life. My skin was struggling about 6 months ago and when I saw this was in stores, I was so excited to give it a try. My acne has pretty much cleared now, or at least looks better than it ever has. I am confident enough to go out without makeup on now! I have been using this product for about 4 months now, and I don't think I will ever stop. It continues to improve the appearance of skin even after the recommended 12 weeks. It does take around 12 weeks to really see the results, but you can tell it's working after about 3 weeks! My only advice to make the process faster, is DO NOT pick at any acne once you start using it. It will help your skin calm down so much faster. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way, but I truly stand by it! I hope it works for everyone else the way it did for me.
Also, do not get your eyebrows waxed while using this product. it makes the skin too thin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I use this product and a benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel nightly (compare to RX Epiduo). This combination is the only treatment that has cleared my mild-moderate acne without excessively drying out my skin (thus causing more oil and subsequent breakouts). Not only that, but my pores are visibly reduced, tone and texture evened, and any scars have faded/continue to fade.
The small tube lasts approximately one month with regular, nightly use. I would suggest purchasing the large tube -- it's around $30, but there are usually coupons available.
I did experience a mild "purge," but after two months of REGULAR use I saw clear, radiant skin.
Keep in mind that your skin will probably look terrible and may feel painful for a little while, especially if you use this in combination with other acne-treating products. Stick with it! Give it at least eight weeks before giving up. Remember, also, that this is not a spot treatment. It's meant to be used ALL OVER the face (and body if that's an area of concern). You must use this regularly to see the desired results.

on 12/31/2016 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this here and there for quite some time and realized I never wrote a review for it. I credit chemical exfoliators for being a large component of: getting rid of my acne/keeping me clear, smoothing out my skin texture, and quickly fading any marks. It's something I've posted about on MUA a lot about over the years as my skin is a major issue in general.

The FDA recently lifted the ban on Adapalene being over-the-counter in the U.S. Adapalene is the active ingredient in Differin. It's a type of retinoid, not to be confused with Retin-A. Retin-A is tretinoin (another type of retinoid). Tretinoin is a lot stronger & won't likely be approved for over the counter sales anytime soon.

There's been a ton of debates on whether or not Differin can help with anti-aging. In my opinion, it can. There's a major misconception that it's useless for that purpose. Differin is marketed to help with acne. The reason they don't intend it for anti-aging purposes is because there hasn't been enough research for collagen production like there has with Retin A. The fact of the matter is adapelene is a retinoid, and retinoids are chemical exfoliators no matter how mild. Just keep in mind Retin-A is a lot stronger (and likely more effective).

I typically use Retin-A gel in the lowest strength (.025). Differin .1% adapalene is still milder, but I find it to be a nice alternative. Especially if I'm feeling like my skin's barrier is close to being compromised.

As already mentioned, this is a chemical exfoliator. Since it exfoliates off the top layer of skin you are more photo-sensitive. I can not stress enough how important it is to wear sunscreen if using this (even at night..even a week after stopping usage..). IT DOES NOT MATTER if the only sunlight you get is through windows or in the car. We call this "incidental exposure" on the skincare board. I myself never spend time in the sun. Regardless any natural light that hits you = UVA rays. UVA rays are damaging. In terms of anti-aging, sunscreen is even more important than using chemical exfoliators. I know those of you using this for acne purposes probably won't think that's a big deal but it goes beyond anti-aging. Protecting your barrier will help acne heal better.

If you find Differin to be too strong for you there are a few suggestions I'd like to include:
-Wait an hour after washing your face to apply
-Buffer with moisturizer
-Apply every other night (with Retin-A gel I apply once every 3 nights but with Differin I can apply almost every night...it's much more mild)

Last but not least, please only wear this at night. This goes back to the photo-sensitivity issue. I'd recommend giving Differin some time to work its magic for a couple of weeks before judging on it's effectiveness. Again this is quite mild, so it may take a while to really start exfoliating.

on 9/21/2016 10:08:00 AM

Differin gave me an impressively painful chemical burn all over my face. Would not use again.

on 6/3/2016 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm on Differin 5 days. Used it 3 times, 2 days gap. At 4th day my skin started peeling a little and my mistake- started using it in summer. So Differin+sun=buuurn!!! It fu**ing burns. :DDD No redness. There is no new pimples by using gel only 3 times. Will continue treatment when it will be cloudy weather.

Update:
I'm using gel only once a week and it is more than enough for me. After 2 days skin starts drying and peeling. Can't use make up because of dry patches. Few times got red painful burns but Panthenol cream helps with this.
Pimples are nearly gone and scars are faiding.
Be really careful with sun exposure!!!!

on 3/14/2016 2:18:00 PM

This is an amazing product that I have used on and off since the age of 13. I am 26 now. Initially it may make your skin red and peely, but if you push through that adjustment period, your skin will glow. I do think that it looses its effectiveness after a while so I take a few month break every couple of years or so and then it works again like magic. It is also amazing at preventing wrinkles and sun damage. I use this product in combination with many other natural products and oils and this is what works best for me. I have tried to eliminate the differin gel completely because it is not totally natural but i have found that my skin just doesn't look or feel the same without it. I have also tried other perscription retinoids but this one works the best for me. It is so gentle compared to other retinoids, yet highly effective. I have noticed that many girls my age are starting to get some minor wrinkles but my face is totally wrinkle free and I seriously think it is because I have used differin for so many years. Differin definitely helps to reduce acne and clogged pores but is not a miracle cure for acne. I have found that eating healthy (no fried foods, lots of fruits and veggies, lots of water, etc.), taking some skin boosting supplements, and staying active, along with the differin gel, keeps my acne at bay for the most part. Even after all these years, the .1% which I believe is the lowest strength, works best for my skin. I have tried stronger doses and they have just been really irratating. If you have minor to moderate acne or just want to prevent wrinkles, I highly suggest you talk to your derm about this medicine!

on 5/9/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this from my GP 1,5 year ago. and it worked really good for me! not everything was gone but it was much better! I only used it at night and washed it of in de mornings with water. But then it became summer and I got sunburns all the time. I stopped using it and my skin stayed really good but now It has never been worse so I'm thinking of using it again but it's becoming summer and I don't know if it's a good idea..

oh my god. JUST NO.
i got this prescribed by my doctor (i actually asked for it though) since i have/had mild clogged pores which led to mild acne and thought this might be the 'cure all' for my skin. HOW WRONG I WAS. firstly, the gel leaves your skin incredibly oily and it does not 'settle' into your skin. this oily film will leave on your skin all day. secondly, this gave me awful cystic acne which took MONTHS to heal over. i tried this product on/off quite a few times because i know there is supposedly a 'purging' stage but my skin just could not ever seem to get over that. it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make my skin better, in fact it made it 100 times worse!!!!! only now after using more simple products (clinique toner/occassional BP gel and oil free make up) is my skin back to normal again. i threw this away and urge anyone thinking about trying it to steer well clear!