Differin Gel

Filtered by eye Color : Black
 Differin Gel

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was prescribed to use Differin Gel 0.01% to treat my mild-to-moderate acne, many years ago. I didn't find this product to be a miracle worker, and neither did it do anything to help with skrinking my pores either. It just isn't the best fit my skin, even though I didn't find it to be harsh on my skin all that much. It is honestly the least harsh acne medication that i have ever been prescribed, but at the same time not effective enough to keep keep my acne breakouts under control like i needed it to. Thank God i never had to pay for it, as i would receive boxes with lots of trial sized samples of it inside given to me. As, this stuff is very expensive, i did come to learn.

Also, i cannot speak on it being possibly anti-aging, because when i was prescribed it, i was quite young without any fine lines or wrinkles on my face at all. Plus, I, didn't end up using it that long anyways either.

on 6/8/2014 5:37:00 PM

This looks rather like a cream than gel, but works WONDERS! I apply it to all the acne pron areas of my face before going to bed and it not only prevents acne but also helps fade the old scars.
I've been getting new pimples nearly every week since I got my 1st period in 2005, and it was so damn frustrating. I've been using differin for 3 months and now I only get PMS pimples which clear up real quick!
And also I got this for 30AED, which is about '7' dollars!!! (I live in Dubai) how inexpensive is that!!!!! It is available in all the pharmacies in dubai

on 5/29/2014 9:15:00 AM

I'm glad this helps some people, but it didn't work at all for me. I had a massive, continuous breakout after taking Plan B (so, hormonal acne) and this didn't do anything but make my skin redder, itchier, drier, and flakier, on top of cysts that continued to erupt. I will acknowledge that this made my skin go from 4~5 new pimples a day to maybe 1~2. But, still, the flakiness made my face look even worse than it'd looked before. I pushed through for two whole months before realizing that my whole face constantly looked like it'd been burned, there would be clumps of dead skin hanging off my face by noon, and it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I now follow a more natural skincare/acne-care routine, which has drastically reduced my hormonal acne. I never put chemicals on my face anymore, partly because of my experience with this gel. For THREE WEEKS after I stopped using it COMPLETELY, the itchiness/dryness/flakiness/all-around irritatedness did not go away, and I started flaking on my chest and arms as well. This really scared me, because it was obvious that the Differin had really, really affected my whole body, not just my skin. I guess it's true what they say to be careful what you put on your skin, it really does get absorbed into your bloodstream.

on 10/4/2013 7:40:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My boyfriend, who has oily, problematic, and acne-prone skin, introduced Differin to me 6 years ago. It is absolutely the best acne product!

While it doesn't prevent acne (try proper diet, sleeping schedule, less alcohol etc.) or diminish the breakouts (try Clindoxyl), it does wonders for healing skin. I get one or two breakouts a month, but my skin usually takes months (even years) to heal fully. Differin really increases the healing process for me - it still takes two-three months. I apply it at night and wake up to better-looking skin. Honestly, it's a miracle product.

In addition to healing acne scars, it works great on blackheads. I have extremely stubborn blackheads on my nose and have tried possibly every trick in the world to remove them. Toothbrush, home remedies, exfoliators... you name it. So far Differin works the best. It can make my skin red, dry, and even flaky, so I always wear moisturizer under it. Even store brand moisturizer will help with the dryness and redness. And always wear sunscreen if you wear this product during the day.

on 6/22/2012 6:10:00 AM

I use the 0.1 gel nightly and use sunscreen underneath my makeup in the morning. I apply this right after I shower; my damp skin helps absorb it better. At first I thought a pea size wasn't enough, as my skin wasn't reacting to it at all. However, the dryness and redness set in by night 5, and my skin peeled when I applied makeup. My usual cleanser started to sting a bit, and surprisingly my lips peeled from the differin (I didn't even apply it there). I normally don't use moisturizer, but I immediately went down to the chemist to buy physiogel cream, and will now use it after applying differin. Will update with further use.
5 Weeks Update **

My skin had gotten way too sensitive because I was using too much, so I cut the dosage to only the size of a green pea and only applied it to my T zone. After using it for three weeks with no effects, I added a AHA+BHA exfoliating serum, and my blackheads have decreased significantly. Now the blackheads are not completely gone, but the exfoliating serum has helped clear out my pores, and the Differin gel helps to shrink pores and renew the skin. So far nothing impressive.
Week 9 Update

Finally seeing some results. I now use a pea sized differin on my T-zone, then add an AHA+BHA serum on top (T-zone only), then moisturize with a water-based gel (all over). Recently I have not been wearing makeup and have extracted my blackheads with a tool a couple times, and my blackheads have cleared about 85%. I found out that with Differin, you have to be patient (waiting out the initial breakout and flaking), and "help" the product work. Not wearing makeup and keeping the skin moisturized at all times will help your pores decrease in size. Also, cleansing the skin with cleansing oil will help melt the blackheads away. This new skincare routine is working out great for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got this in 0.1% from my derm for my mild acne (whiteheads and blackheads mostly on my cheeks). Been using for almost a mth and now i cannot live without it! My bumps looks much lesser just after a few days into this treatment. So far it didnt cause me any purging nor did it stings my skin. After about 4 days into it, my skin burns so badly after cleansing at night (im using mu remover n cleanser which contains aha and my clarisonic brush). So much so tat watever i put onto my skin after tat just makes my skin burns like mad! I know i should not be using harsh cleanser with differin but im not comfortable using a gentle cleanser at night... Perhaps i should not use clarisonic too but i dont feel my skin is clean without a strong cleanser plus clarisonic! So whenever it starts burning real bad, i skip using differin a few days and resume when my skin no longer burns upon washing (my skin dosent burn in the am with my gentle cleanser..). Im receiving microdermabrasion treatment every forthnightly as well so was advised to stop differin a few days before and after the treatment so ive been on n off on differin but still, it gives me great results! Perhaps since im going on n off on differin, i dun get all the bad reactions too.. My derm says its perfectly fine to go on n off like this till my skin get used to it without burning so im just gonna do tat! i realised my skin is less oily, pores looks a bit smaller, skin looks smoother (lesser bumps) overall with no bad side effects except the burning. Very happy with this!!

Ok , so my GP prescribed me with this gel and Tetralysal 300mg for 2 months. I don't have to pay for anything here in UK (with NHS prescription). I don't have big, deep spots, but tiny pumps cover all over my face, and they are easily popped up, but easily replaced with another yeallow stuff inside as well, I've now got a really rough skin! So I'm unsure if this treatment is right, but I'm diagnosed with acnes anyway...

I take the pill in the morning with empty stomach which makes me feel sick!, and apply the gel thinly at night. I've only been using it for 5 days, so my skin has really got worse as the GP warned me before. She said it would be worse for 4 weeks, after that I would probably see improvement, if not, then I had to go back to her. So a bit of patience here.

So far getting worse in my case is that even more tiny pumps on my face, red and burning sensation, sun sensitivity... I will update my skin condition later...

on 6/30/2009 5:25:00 PM

Differin was like a nightmare for me.
I got a perscription for this and Clindamycin Phosphate topical gel and differin. The CP gel was for morning and Differin at night. I got the CP gel first because they didn't have Differin stocked yet, and for about a week my face was like butter smooth. Then I got differin. It worked well for about a day or two, but then I noticed rough sun burn-like patches of scabby skin under my eye brows the continued to develop onto my chest, neck My friends began teasing me saying that my boyfriend was giving me hickeys I tried to exfoilate the rough skin, when I did the skin was bright pink and hurt when I touched it, but within an hour it became rough and discolored again. After that I got a series of bumps on my right shoulder that look like aliens were hatching from my arms, I didn't yet piece this together with differin, and so I continued using it. Soon I developed the same thing that was on my shoulder emerged from my checks. I have never in my life broke out that badly on my checks, in fact I rarely ever get any acne on my checks.
My acne was mild/minor and before getting my prescriptions my breakouts were not that bad and my skin was actually smooth on my neck and arms. I used to have really bad skin and I was very insecure about it but after differin I can say that my skin is worse than it's ever been.

I feel like people are just looking at my bumps and discolored rough skin when they see me rather than the features that define me, like my eyes or my smile.

I suppose the only good thing about it is a little bit goes a long way when using it and it didn't sting, but I'm telling you please don't waste your money, the over the counter crap works better than differin.

on 2/23/2009 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Reviewing 0.1% Differin Gel by Galderma.

It's either love it or hate it. I'm the second.

Differin is simply too irritating to me. I was using it every 3rd night. Each morning after that I wake up with new small flesh colored bumps on my forehead and my face looks reddish than usual for 1-2 days. I don't believe differin will make any difference in reducing the pore size, in fact none of the retinoids (topical or oral) does, it's a myth.

I am also using the retinaldehyde products of Avene in between the differin nights and Avene calms the redness unlike any other retinoids. I wanted the differin to be something like a non-irritable exfoliator for better penetration of Avene cause my skin is sensitive and doesn't tolerate acid exfoliators at all. I can't put up anymore with differin destroying the results from the retinaldehyde (mainly calm uniform skin color, not reddish) so I'm ditching it.

Next I will try topical accutane (isotretinoin, this is NOT the retin-A form) and retin-A micro. I have the feeling those won't make me reder as differin if used every 3rd night. All forms of topical retinoids, namely retin-A, do NOT reduce oiliness, it's another myth. Speaking from experience, oral accutane in small doses 10mg/day does reduce oiliness dramatically but the effect is systemic, it changes the whole biochemistry of the body, it's not a local effect on the pores. That is in agreement with the reports I've seen that topical accutane does not decrease oiliness since it doesn't get systemic.

on 1/26/2009 9:21:00 AM

the Best acne treatment gel

have to use before go to bed or your face will be burnt.