Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

I am 30 and I’ve had mild to moderate acne since I was 16. It’s not mostly hormonal around my jaw line with a few hear and there. I’ve had enough of it so I decided to give differin a try. I’ve been using it for 6 weeks. This is not a product that gives quick results, although I am now finding that it is helping my skin a lot. I did have an initial break out /purging about 2-3 weeks in. I could see the stuff coming out of my pores and hard white heads that I could pull out with tweezers and breakouts. It sucks but it’s also good to know that all that stuff is coming out of your pores. I think I am not past the purging and my break outs are subsiding. My break outs are also healing much much faster and everything comes to the surface extremely quickly and then heals. What really helped me was watching dr dray on YouTube. She’s a dermatologist. She recommends that you moisturize your face while still damp in order to reduce moisture loss. I use the avene tolerance extreme emulsion moisturizer. It’s amazing. I am very sensitive to ingredients so it’s a basic moisturizer that works. I also stopped using harsh face washed and I stick to cerave moisturizing cleanser. After moisturizing my face I use a tiny amount of differin fall over. I have also been using some benzoyl peroxide over that to help with the initial break out but that might cause burning and irritation for some people so be careful. I also use Lilly of the desert aloe on my face to help with the irritation with a small drop of glycerin for added moisture if needed. If my face starts to feel burning and irritated I will stop the differin for a day or two and moisturize and use aloe until that feeling goes away. Do not use differin if your face is burning and irritated because it will get worse. Take a break and then resume once it’s gone. :). It’s all about listening to your skin and keeping irritation to a minimum. I really feel like this stuff is helping my skin a lot. My skin heals way faster and I can see that my pores are clearer. Also my skin is more even. It’s also important to note that you NEED to wear SUNSCREEN with this or your face will burn extremely easily even if you usually do not burn. I am sensitive to a lot of sunscreen but I am using derma e mineral face sunscreen (oil free) with no issues.

on 11/17/2017 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

This is great!!!!! Seriously I am so happy to not have to deal with going to the Dermatologist to get a RX anymore!

I am 36 and yes I do get breakouts and I can say that using this as well as the cleanser has been such a blessing for me!

Don’t forget to use SPF...

Non-Irritating, Effective, Available Pretty Much Everywhere!

on 11/8/2017 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i have been using 0.1 gel for 11days/still on week 2. no changes or improvement or break out yet. pores are still very clogged. im waiting for the purge to start. i was hoping it would start sooner because im not going anywhere this week. but sadly it dint start yet. i was starting to suspect adapalene dont work for me, because i didnt experience any dryness or flaking of skin.
i use it a few times few months ago with only a few applications and stop. it did burned a few spot that time and give me new whiteheads along my jaw. But this time round nothing happen at all i find it strange.
will continue to use it to see if it do anything and update here.

UPDATE: im on mid third week. more clogged pores. 2-3 clogged pores become inflamed and become a no head pimples. maybe this is the purging phase?

UPDATE: 4weeks, i have stop using it. it has no effect on me beside making my skin very oily. it dint get worse or any better. if it get worse i would assume its the purge phase but theres none.

on 10/25/2017 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Such a game changer. I’m going on 28 and have been battling acne since the age of 12. This has dramatically reduced my redness, cystic acne around the jaw and hairline and helped smooth the overall appearance of my skin.

Pros, it doesn’t have a noticeable scent, or even that heinous, “scent free” chemical scent. It applies smoothly, the 0.5oz tube lasts a long time and it’s easy to get out of the tube.

Cons, it is expensive for an OTC acne treatment, it will dry out your skin and cause serious flaking if you jump right into using it. It’s still packaged like a medicated tube of acne medicine.

I would suggest starting out smoothing on a pea sized drop once or twice a week after applying moisturizer and then work your way up to every day if necessary. I still use moisturizer before applying, simply because my nose and my chin area can get very dry and even with moisturizing I have noticed dry patches in those areas.

on 8/24/2017 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It doesn't seem to be effective on active inflamed acne for me, but I'm hoping it will help with clogged pores. It helps peel. I've been using it for one month.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have oily skin prone to clogged pores and pimples. Salicylic acid products and Benzoyl Peroxide didn't work and irritated my skin. This used to be a prescription but is now sold over the counter. I buy it at the drugstore for $13.99. It's a Retinoid product. It takes about 3 months used once a day at bedtime to see dramatic results on a face full of acne. After one month of using...wow! First summer not one pimple and it's curing my clogged pores. Make sure you wear a sunscreen during the day because your skin will be more sensitive in the sun. It gently peels off the dead skin on your face. I've finally found something that really works and it's cheaper in the long run. If you break out, say goodbye to pimples.

on 9/21/2016 10:08:00 AM

Differin gave me an impressively painful chemical burn all over my face. Would not use again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worked really well for fading acne scars and reducing its redness. My skin purged when I started using this but after a couple weeks I noticed a lot of improvements!

I am on my 2nd bottle of Differin because it's also great for improving texture, prevent wrinkles, and helps overall appearance of skin.

Fortunately, I am covered by insurance so I would definitely use again

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was prescribed to use Differin Gel 0.01% to treat my mild-to-moderate acne, many years ago. I didn't find this product to be a miracle worker, and neither did it do anything to help with skrinking my pores either. It just isn't the best fit my skin, even though I didn't find it to be harsh on my skin all that much. It is honestly the least harsh acne medication that i have ever been prescribed, but at the same time not effective enough to keep keep my acne breakouts under control like i needed it to. Thank God i never had to pay for it, as i would receive boxes with lots of trial sized samples of it inside given to me. As, this stuff is very expensive, i did come to learn.

Also, i cannot speak on it being possibly anti-aging, because when i was prescribed it, i was quite young without any fine lines or wrinkles on my face at all. Plus, I, didn't end up using it that long anyways either.

on 9/19/2014 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is an amazing product ,it cleared up all my acne in one month and a half and now i rarely get breakouts I used to use it two times a day in the morning and at night and I didn't even use a face wash I just use a home made scrub two-three times a week but bare in mind that it needs some patience to see results and your skin will get drier but the results are worth it, plus it did leave me with scars so i stopped using it as often and just use it when i get pimples, and I started using acretin and now after 3 months and 9 days of using both deffrien and acretin my skin is just left with 30% scaring and I'll give it 1 more month for all the scaring to be gone :)