Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by hair type : Curly
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

4.6

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I have sensitive, combination skin with mild but stubborn acne, in my 30s. I'm so glad this is now available without a prescription. It's changed my skin dramatically for the better. I no longer need to use benzoyl peroxide, which is effective but drying. I've tried tretinoin (Retinin A) but my skin is just too sensitive.

A few tips:
* It will take a few weeks to see a result. Skin cycle time is about 6 weeks, plan on it. I saw results in 3 weeks.
* Apply immediately after cleansing to be most effective, unless you are trying to reduce irritation, in which case apply after moisturisers.
* As this is a retinol, your skin may purge. I didn't, possibly because I switched directly from BP.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I use this product and a benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel nightly (compare to RX Epiduo). This combination is the only treatment that has cleared my mild-moderate acne without excessively drying out my skin (thus causing more oil and subsequent breakouts). Not only that, but my pores are visibly reduced, tone and texture evened, and any scars have faded/continue to fade.
The small tube lasts approximately one month with regular, nightly use. I would suggest purchasing the large tube -- it's around $30, but there are usually coupons available.
I did experience a mild "purge," but after two months of REGULAR use I saw clear, radiant skin.
Keep in mind that your skin will probably look terrible and may feel painful for a little while, especially if you use this in combination with other acne-treating products. Stick with it! Give it at least eight weeks before giving up. Remember, also, that this is not a spot treatment. It's meant to be used ALL OVER the face (and body if that's an area of concern). You must use this regularly to see the desired results.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've been using this product for little over a month. I use their brand cleanser and moisture along with the gel itself. It took about a week and a half before my face changed at all. At first, it was dry and a bit itchy but I did see a slight improvement. I was frustrated and wanted to quit, but for the price, I stuck it out. now, after a month, I'm SOO glad I did. Now, most of the dryness is gone and even the blackheads on my nose are 90% gone. so happy with this product! Yes, it dries out your face....but ONLY where your pores are clogged! Though it days not to spot treat.....using the differin gel itself, I've been treating my acne prone areas daily and less proned areas every other day. ...But still use the cleanser and moisturizer daily. I've also been using a sensitive skin peel-off moisturizing mask ONLY ON THE DRY AREAS, and it definitely helps remove some of the dry skin. **CAUTION** It states on the packaging not to have your eyebrows waxed while on this product....I learned the hard way, don't break this rule!! The wax tore off a layer of skin everywhere it touched. PAINFUL!! The next time, I stopped using the product for 2 days prior to getting them waxed. They were still a bit sensitive, bit all skin stayed intact!

on 8/26/2012 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I'm not gonna tell you my whole life story with acne but it's just generally been a very rollercoaster-y few years with my skin. I finally went to the derm and got a prescription for Differin. Let me tell you, this stuff is miraculous. The first two months really suck, don't take it remotely lightly. You break out in places you've never even seen a zit before. But by the third month everything gets so much better. Perseverance is key with this stuff. And don't forget sunscreen, I was a lifeguard this summer and forgot a few times..... BAD IDEA. It messes with all of the progress you made. Now I can walk out in public with not a lick of makeup on and feel so proud of my skin.
Routine:
Morning: Clean and Clear Cream Face Wash
Cetaphil Moisturizer
Night: wash rag and boiling hot water to wipe your face before cleansing (purges dirt and oil from your pores so the face wash goes as deep as possible)
Clean and Clear Cream Face Wash
Differin 0.3
Before workouts or showers during the day: Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Oil-Cleansing Wipes (smell sooooo good too!)

Hope this helps!

on 10/4/2011 9:06:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I used to use Tretinoin gel (0.01% and 0.025%) for over a year, it made me purge like crazy for about 3 months. Thereafter I had skin clear of spots but it never stopped making me peel and sensitive. I have been using differin for over 2 months and I like it sooooo much better! I wished that it had the same anti aging effect as tretinoin though. My skin is no longer so flakey. I don't think its doing as good a job at keeping my skin clear but it still works. I can leave this on all night without any issea, tretinoin I could only do short contact therapy for about 10mins.

I will use this and hope one day my skin can tolerate tretinoin!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I LOVE this stuff. Ive always had acne prone skin and a very oily T zone. I started using this years ago and at first i used it all over my face but it made my cheeks dry. So i started only using it on my forehead and chin. And then any pimples elsehwere. I dont have bad acne. Only a few breakouts every once and awhile. But they always left scars. This stuff made my scars fade drastically in weeks! I only realized how well it worked until i stopped using it and now my scars take months to fade on their own. I really need to get more of this stuff. It is pricey but with my insurance cost me only 25 dollars. Love this stuff!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

2nd EDIT: It's been almost 4 month and I am 100% clear, radiant and don't use foundation on a daily basis anymore.

EDIT: I've been using this for 2 months and my skin has never looked better. I am 98% clear with one or two small spots a month. Amazing product!

I was prescribed Differin two weeks ago by my dermatologist. My skin has been reactive over the past 6 months. I break out due to stress and my continuous testing of skincare products and have developed fine lines around my eyes, whiteheads and sporadic acne on T-zone and cheeks.

She told me to STOP using everything that I am currently using. She prescribed a gentle lactic acid cleanser called Lactibon to balance the PH of my acid mantle. She also recommend Purpose Gel Cleanser if Lactibon wasn't available. She then told me to use a pea size amount of Differin Gel after washing my face each night. In the morning, I was my face with the cleanser and then I apply C-Vital Oil-Free Gel for Oily Combination skin. Differin can make my eyelids a little dry, so I keep some Vitamin E oil handy and just tap my upper eyelids and undereye area with it.

After using hundreds of products in the past 4 years, I am relieved to see only 3 products next to my sink. At first, Differin made me breakout a little and my skin felt dry, but nothing major. After 2 weeks (and although I still have a few whiteheads that are under the surface), my skin looks clear, radiant, and even my fine lines and freckles are lightening. I have oocasional purging but they clear up within 2-3 days due tho the Differin. I absolutely love Differin. Go out and get a prescription now!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This product has noticeably helped my acne. I have been using it for about two weeks and it is great. I haven't got any new pimples but it is extremely drying, especially coming from me, a person who has extremely oily skin. I was suppose to use this product at night and a clindoxyl cream in the morning.However, I had to stop using hte morning cream since this product made my skin so sensitive that it significantly irritated and burned my skin.

on 1/27/2010 1:41:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I've been using this for about 4 months now, and I'm happy I stuck with it. I had lost my job and cobra was like 300 dollars a month, so I had to buy this from alldaychemist.com (like, 5 dollars a tube!, I buy 15-20 at a time :) I had used this when I was younger, and I guess not really knowing or even caring to know how to use this properly, I ditched it after a month because my skin was worse. At 13, I wanted results quickly and couldn't comprehend another few months time. That's forever when you're that age! Anyway, now that I'm back on it I love it. The first week was great. It cleared my skin up amazingly. Then the next week, it was bad. Not crazy purging but I wasn't used to having so many blemishes on my face at the same time. It dried my skin...even around my eyes where I did not apply it. After 4 months, I finally have the clearest skin I think is possible for me. No pimples really (except during ttom which was just one, but still annoying and I usually zap it with my zeno hot spot), no blackheads. Last month I decided my skin was definitely tougher, so I put acne.org BP treatment over it. For me, it works great. A little dry, but I use korres yogurt mask in the daytime and spray my face often with rosewater mist to keep the flaky look away. My red spots haven't faded completely, especially since I got new ones when I first started, but I'm ok with that so far. Also, clogged pores are at a minimum. I do wear liquid foundation and powder, so having some for me is given, but no where near as many as before. My jawline is completely clear.
Overall, I'm really happy with this. I don't mind wearing tinted moisturizer anymore and I'm not afraid to go bare face in front of my bf (though I do avoid it if I can lol). I'm excited to see what this brings in the long term. Hopefully by the summer I won't have to wear any face makeup at all, imagine that! I'll update if things change :D