Differin Gel

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
 Differin Gel

4.1

I purchased this because I wanted to see if this would work for me instead of using retin a. I will say this works very well and on my skin is quite gentle. I have been using this for months daily at bedtime and am very happy with the results. My skin is clear and smooth. But I do still get hormonal spots that I sometimes have to use my retin a on. Reason being the Differin gel works but it's not as strong as retin a so it takes longer for spots to go away. I had a cluster of underground spots and it took months with the differin gel to finally clear it. In the end I did use some retin a to finally get rid of the acne spots I had. So I rated this 5 lippies because if you don't mind waiting and putting in the effort in time this does work.

But if you are still dealing with spots for quite a long time I find the retin a works better. Now granted one is now otc while the other is by RX. So I find now that I use them both but not at the same time. I use differin gel daily while I'll spot treat with the retin a when I have a spot that's taking forever to heal. The Differin gel though is an excellent product no doubt about it as both me and my sig other loves it. I use it on his spots too but he only needs it as a spot treatment. For me it comes down to speed and convenience if you have the patience to use this for the long haul it will work. But if you want speed and rapid exfoliation the retin a is the route to go.

I will continue to use differin gel everyday and that is the key with this you must stick with it. I find it very gentle and it's a great daily acne treatment. So to me this does work as long as I use this daily without fail. Also I do not peel at all with this whereas with the other I peel and that's something I really dislike. So for me I prefer the Differin but if I want anti aging use plus acne treatment the retin a is better hands down. So if you're looking for an acne treatment my advice with this is to just stick with it. Give it at least 8 solid weeks or longer. It does work and it does work well. Plus being able to get this otc I think is excellent and a great product for me. Also the fact that it's so gentle makes it a great product for my sensitive skin. Recommended.

on 8/17/2017 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

So far (3 weeks) I notice this makes my skin smoother, more sensitive, and also makes breakouts come to the surface faster than usual. Not overnight or anything, but breakouts do come to a head faster.

Sadly, this does not prevent breakouts from cosmetics. If I put on a problematic powder, foundation, or sunscreen, I WILL get pimples from it as per usual.

The way I apply this is after moisturizer at night. I wash my face, put either Differin Balancing moisturizer or Vanicream Light lotion on damp skin, let that set/dry, and then I put on a layer of differin gel all over. After a minute or so I dab either PC 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide, or 10% BENZOYL peroxide Persagel. I far prefer the 10% as my face is a frigging mess of breakouts at the moment. I can tell its getting better though, which is at least a relief from the annoyance of getting wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and acne at the same time.

Using this makes my usual chemical sunscreens burn a little, but I still use them BECAUSE I tried switching to there different mineral sunscreens and they all caused me breakouts, setting me back in the improvements I was seeing with the aid of differin gel.

I plan on sticking with this for at least 3 months. Hopefully this works.

on 7/30/2017 10:15:00 PM

I'm 64, have struggled with mild but persistent adult acne for a long time, and can't believe I waited this long to try Differin. Okay, I did use my daughter's prescription tube a few years ago, but it was winter. I got too dry and irritated and it was a short-lived experiment. This time I started Differin in the summer, and my skin had no trouble at all adjusting to it. In fact, it's been a life saver in the summer, when I normally experience many more breakouts and clogged pores as a result of the heat and humidity. The other tip that seems to help is to wait thirty minutes after washing to apply it. I've been on it for about six weeks and am seeing big improvements. My skin tone is actually less red than it used to be.

I have written a lot of reviews over the years -- the mark of a never-satisfied customer with sensitive, acne prone skin! Differin has really helped me feel like I'm doing the right thing. I've streamlined my routine and don't feel the need to experiment with products like I used to. I'm sticking with it.

UPDATE: Another reviewer noted that this doesn't prevent acne caused by cosmetics, and that seems to be the gospel truth. For example, I seem to break out any time I try a product containing any kind of silicone -- which means all silky feeling foundations and sunscreen, etc. My hair is long, and I can't even get away with using conditioners containing silicone. I just went through an awful round of cosmetic-induced acne, and no, Differin is not magic enough to keep me clear under those conditions.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have oily skin prone to clogged pores and pimples. Salicylic acid products and Benzoyl Peroxide didn't work and irritated my skin. This used to be a prescription but is now sold over the counter. I buy it at the drugstore for $13.99. It's a Retinoid product. It takes about 3 months used once a day at bedtime to see dramatic results on a face full of acne. After one month of using...wow! First summer not one pimple and it's curing my clogged pores. Make sure you wear a sunscreen during the day because your skin will be more sensitive in the sun. It gently peels off the dead skin on your face. I've finally found something that really works and it's cheaper in the long run. If you break out, say goodbye to pimples.

on 12/31/2016 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this here and there for quite some time and realized I never wrote a review for it. I credit chemical exfoliators for being a large component of: getting rid of my acne/keeping me clear, smoothing out my skin texture, and quickly fading any marks. It's something I've posted about on MUA a lot about over the years as my skin is a major issue in general.

The FDA recently lifted the ban on Adapalene being over-the-counter in the U.S. Adapalene is the active ingredient in Differin. It's a type of retinoid, not to be confused with Retin-A. Retin-A is tretinoin (another type of retinoid). Tretinoin is a lot stronger & won't likely be approved for over the counter sales anytime soon.

There's been a ton of debates on whether or not Differin can help with anti-aging. In my opinion, it can. There's a major misconception that it's useless for that purpose. Differin is marketed to help with acne. The reason they don't intend it for anti-aging purposes is because there hasn't been enough research for collagen production like there has with Retin A. The fact of the matter is adapelene is a retinoid, and retinoids are chemical exfoliators no matter how mild. Just keep in mind Retin-A is a lot stronger (and likely more effective).

I typically use Retin-A gel in the lowest strength (.025). Differin .1% adapalene is still milder, but I find it to be a nice alternative. Especially if I'm feeling like my skin's barrier is close to being compromised.

As already mentioned, this is a chemical exfoliator. Since it exfoliates off the top layer of skin you are more photo-sensitive. I can not stress enough how important it is to wear sunscreen if using this (even at night..even a week after stopping usage..). IT DOES NOT MATTER if the only sunlight you get is through windows or in the car. We call this "incidental exposure" on the skincare board. I myself never spend time in the sun. Regardless any natural light that hits you = UVA rays. UVA rays are damaging. In terms of anti-aging, sunscreen is even more important than using chemical exfoliators. I know those of you using this for acne purposes probably won't think that's a big deal but it goes beyond anti-aging. Protecting your barrier will help acne heal better.

If you find Differin to be too strong for you there are a few suggestions I'd like to include:
-Wait an hour after washing your face to apply
-Buffer with moisturizer
-Apply every other night (with Retin-A gel I apply once every 3 nights but with Differin I can apply almost every night...it's much more mild)

Last but not least, please only wear this at night. This goes back to the photo-sensitivity issue. I'd recommend giving Differin some time to work its magic for a couple of weeks before judging on it's effectiveness. Again this is quite mild, so it may take a while to really start exfoliating.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have used this 2 seperate times, both times it dried my skin out so badly I couldn't continue. I initially asked for this as it is supposed to be the mildest form of retinoid, however my skin was just too sensitive for it.

on 8/26/2015 11:29:00 PM

I've tried most of the major topical retinoids - tretinoin (retin-a), tazarotene (tazorac), and adapalene (differin). I initially used them for acne and now use them to prevent skin cancer and to help with photodamage (wrinkling and pigmentation problems).This is my favorite. Tretinoin and Tazarotene, while not making me a flaky mess, somehow cause constant low-grade irritation that often manifested as tiny pimples and ruddiness. This just keeps my skin clear, and has prevented sun-related pigmentation problems (I have more freckling on my neck where I didn't use retinoids when I was younger).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

LIFE SAVER! Guys be patient. This does not work its miracle overnight. You just have to be patient. I'm already on my 12/13th week and already seeing results. My face definitely feels and looks smoother (some of my blackheads and clogged pores from using Physiogel Gentle Skin Cleanser are already gone), skin tone evened out and acne scars lightened. But make sure to use a good sunscreen before going out under the sun!

on 1/25/2015 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I think this works for people who perhaps really need it or have skin issues but I would not recommend it to someone with minor skin blemishes. I used this years ago when I was in high school. The following all happened while I was 17 years old. This experience has one major theme: irresponsibility!

1. I was seeking perfect skin when I really didn't have major issues and took my doctors advise without a second thought (irresponsible)
2. I noticed my skin was a flakey and sensitive and I continued use, hoping my doctors recommendation would in fact give me flawlessness (even more irresponsible).

The story: I didn't really have a lot of problems with my skin in high school - just the typical breakouts that any girl would have. My doctor recommended that I use this when I complained that my skin wasn't "up to standard" or whatever the hell I thought it should be at this age. She told me to use Differin.

Not only was it seemingly ineffective for me, but it made my skin feel sensitive, but...I wasn't sure. I did notice my skin was a bit dry and flakey but I was just thinking that the doctor said it would help and so I continued to use it. What is the worst that could happen? :)

After about 4 months of use, I went to get my eyebrows waxed as I normally did at the time. The woman applied wax, no big deal and tore it off. Pretty standard. After she ripped off one side, I felt like skin had come off. Being too scared to ask her wtf was going on and why it felt so unbearable I actually let her do the other side. I stood up, paid, walked out and cried all the way home. The wind hitting my face on the way home was too much to bear. The pain was absolutely terrible and I can manage physical pain!

When I got home, literally all of the skin above and below my eyebrows was gone. Missing. Not there. Pure red flesh. One of the most painful things ever. Not to mention the utter embarrassment!

Now, I get it could have totally been the wax and initially that is what I thought, too. After speculating, the wax was not hotter than usual, that woman had done my eyebrows a series of times and the only thing I had changed in my skin care routine was using Differin. I think it made my skin overly sensitive and ....really just weak. I had very resilient/ non sensitive skin prior to using the product.

This is just my experience. If you do not need to use a prescribed product, don't mess with it. I am happy this works for people that rely on it, but for me I do believe it changed my skin in a negative way. I waited three years to try waxing again, and a similar thing happened (with cold wax), I think the strength/ makeup of my skin had changed since using Differin. No big deal I just don't use it anymore.....................OR wax my eyebrows :)

on 8/29/2014 9:38:00 PM

I get terrible breakouts during my period and if you want a list of all the treatments I have tried, you will be here for a very long time. As of writing, I have countless cystic acnes all over my face and the hyperpigmentation around my mouth looks like a beard from afar.

I remember my dermatologist prescribing Differin Gel a couple years back but I do not exactly recall the effect it had on my skin back then. So, two days ago, after having read tons of good reviews about the product, I decided to give it another shot.

It's my second day using the product and, though I know it's a bit too early to say this, I am actually happy with the results. I did not get any initial breakouts (again, it may be too early to make conclusions) though my skin got a little bit drier than usual--nothing a good moisturizer can't fix.

Every night after washing, I apply a very thin layer of Differin all over my face. I wait for it to dry for about fifteen minutes before moisturizing. Simple. The first time I used it, I woke up with less redness and less pain on my face. The blemishes plaguing my nose also cleared up a little. I am not sure if it does anything to fade acne scars. I guess I have yet to find out.

Again, I have only been using Differin for two days. My skin may--and hopefully--continue to get better or it may not. It's too early to say. I am just too happy because of the immediate effects! I will continue to use this product and will keep you guys posted. Wish me luck!