Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 12/14/2017 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I’m about to rain on everyone’s parade, because I know how much everyone loves this stuff. I’d like to start by saying that I went into my dermatologist’s office for an issue unrelated to acne, and with pretty clear skin. I’ve had my share of gross cystic acne breakouts beginning at age 29, (I’m 43 now) but my skin has been decent lately and my acne fairly well controlled. I mentioned to my derm that I still had occasional breakouts, and that my skin is SUPER oily, (like 13 year old boy going through puberty oily) so she recommended Differin. I immediately went and bought a tube, and I have to say during the first 3 weeks, my pores were smaller and I was definitely less oily! Enter week 4 and the cystic acne eruption began. I’m talking pimples on my chin the size of my chin! I also began breaking out around my upper lip, which made it painful to eat and speak. The makers of this product should definitely give you a heads up on this initial breakout/skin purging thing, but I guess if they did, no one would buy it! I know it’s common for a retinoid to do this, but unless you plan on hiding your face from humans or spending about 2 months in a cabin in the woods, I don’t recommend this. Or...just be emotionally prepared to live with cystic acne for a while. I couldn’t do it.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Not just for acne, smooths and tones older skin too. Stubborn blackheads drying up and surfacing, smoother overall texture. I can't believe something this effective is affordable and readily available OTC.

on 10/6/2017 10:19:00 AM

Okay, so I literally made an account just to write this review because the stuff is that good. I always had minimal acne in the past that would spike randomly but eventually die down. This year, I found out I have a thyroid disease, which totally screws up your hormones. My acne was out of control and I tried EVERYTHING. I started using Differin about 5 months ago and I rarely ever see a single zit. Not kidding. I think it's even faded my acne scars. I wanted to wait five months to write this because you can't trust reviews that are written after a few tries. Retinoids work slowly over time. I am the least patient person I know but I swear this stuff is GOLD. I mean, to be able to combat endocrine crash related acne?? That's good stuff. I washed my face with a simple cleanser, Castille Soap, and moisturizer with Garnier Moisture Bomb. They work well with the Differin if you're more oily prone. Your face might have more oil or it might dry out in the first two weeks, but after that everything evens out. Best of luck!!

In combination with Vitamin C serum, Differin has totally changed my skin for the better. I've been on Spironolactone for the last 15 years to manage my hormonal acne, and that worked beautifully up until the beginning of this year. Out of nowhere (and without even starting new products!), my skin freaked out, and I started getting clogs and painful cystic acne in places where I've never before broken out. I tried all the usual things: washing my pillow cases every night, doing a very bland skincare routine, keeping my hands/hair/etc off of my face. Nothing helped.

Two months ago on Prime Day, Amazon had a lightening deal on 0.5 oz of Differin gel for $8.48. For that price, why not give it a try? I started out using it twice a week at night and using only a pea-sized amount for my entire face. After the first week, I went up to every-other night, which I did for the remainder of the first month. Since then, I've worked up to every night.

Even after two months, I probably have 3/4 of the tube still left. I use only the tiniest amount and dot it around my cheeks. It spreads easily and dries down quickly. I usually buffer it with my other facial products (2 drops squalane+3 drops Timeless hyaluronic acid), and this seems to help with irritation. I have a drastic decrease in the number of painful lesions, and my clogs are almost entirely gone. Differin definitely helps acne go away more quickly, and it also makes it easier to extract clogged pores.

I did have some initial purging, but I honestly expected much worse. Working up slowly to nightly application helped mitigate the flakiness and irritation that others experience. My skin continues to get clearer the longer I use it, but it does take a bit of patience to starts seeing results. I imagine that a lot of the negative reviews are from people who use it too frequently in the beginning and also don't give it enough time to start working. As with all skincare YMMV, but Differin is worth a shot if you have congested skin or hormonal acne (where Spiro or BCP aren't enough).

Will I repurchase? Absolutely!

on 7/12/2017 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

What a game changer! My skin looks incredible. I only wish this were made over the counter sooner! Would have saved my skin some fuss in my 20s. I had horrible horrible acne during my pregnancy, I didn't use this then as it's not recommended if you are pregnant or bf, but! This has dramatically cleared up residual hormonal (v stubborn cystic) acne and lightened all the hyperpigmentation left over from pregnancy. If you use this you need to drink LOTS of water though! It will make you less likely to peel. I started a few nights a week and then worked myself up to every other night (eventually rotating nights with The Ordinary's 5% lactic acid + HA serum 👌.) Love this! I buy it every time I see it on sale. Had the best luck with sale prices on Amazon ;).

on 11/6/2016 4:50:00 PM

People give up wayyyy too soon, with a retinoid like this you're unlikely to see any actual improvements till month 3, and the differin has likely yet finished improving your skin even then, so when I see people giving up 2 days in, or 9, I can't help but laugh, clearly this med isn't for you if that's how long you're willing to give it, unless you got actual contact dermatitis from using this there's absolutely no reason to stop or judge the med before month 4-5, you shouldn't even be leaving reviews as a few days isn't long enough to judge any skincare product ever.
An initial worsening of your acne is possible and even likely which is why it's often paired with a topical/oral antibiotic to get through the purging months until the Differin starts working, so no, it's not Differin being terrible or useless rather your lack of research and ability to commit to something.

on 3/14/2016 2:18:00 PM

This is an amazing product that I have used on and off since the age of 13. I am 26 now. Initially it may make your skin red and peely, but if you push through that adjustment period, your skin will glow. I do think that it looses its effectiveness after a while so I take a few month break every couple of years or so and then it works again like magic. It is also amazing at preventing wrinkles and sun damage. I use this product in combination with many other natural products and oils and this is what works best for me. I have tried to eliminate the differin gel completely because it is not totally natural but i have found that my skin just doesn't look or feel the same without it. I have also tried other perscription retinoids but this one works the best for me. It is so gentle compared to other retinoids, yet highly effective. I have noticed that many girls my age are starting to get some minor wrinkles but my face is totally wrinkle free and I seriously think it is because I have used differin for so many years. Differin definitely helps to reduce acne and clogged pores but is not a miracle cure for acne. I have found that eating healthy (no fried foods, lots of fruits and veggies, lots of water, etc.), taking some skin boosting supplements, and staying active, along with the differin gel, keeps my acne at bay for the most part. Even after all these years, the .1% which I believe is the lowest strength, works best for my skin. I have tried stronger doses and they have just been really irratating. If you have minor to moderate acne or just want to prevent wrinkles, I highly suggest you talk to your derm about this medicine!

on 8/26/2015 11:29:00 PM

I've tried most of the major topical retinoids - tretinoin (retin-a), tazarotene (tazorac), and adapalene (differin). I initially used them for acne and now use them to prevent skin cancer and to help with photodamage (wrinkling and pigmentation problems).This is my favorite. Tretinoin and Tazarotene, while not making me a flaky mess, somehow cause constant low-grade irritation that often manifested as tiny pimples and ruddiness. This just keeps my skin clear, and has prevented sun-related pigmentation problems (I have more freckling on my neck where I didn't use retinoids when I was younger).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

LIFE SAVER! Guys be patient. This does not work its miracle overnight. You just have to be patient. I'm already on my 12/13th week and already seeing results. My face definitely feels and looks smoother (some of my blackheads and clogged pores from using Physiogel Gentle Skin Cleanser are already gone), skin tone evened out and acne scars lightened. But make sure to use a good sunscreen before going out under the sun!

on 12/20/2014 3:21:00 PM

This is the best acne treatment. I started in September and now in December I'm free from acne. I get some hormonal spots but they heel fast. In the beginning my skin was very dry so I used a cream one hour after I applied Differin. Now my skin is so soft!! It works well as an anti age treatment too. Don't forget to use sunscreen! Here in Sweden my friends and colleagues (I work in a pharmacy)laugh at me but it's very important to protect the fine and soft skin from the sun!!!