Differin Gel

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
 Differin Gel

on 7/30/2017 10:15:00 PM

I'm 64, have struggled with mild but persistent adult acne for a long time, and can't believe I waited this long to try Differin. Okay, I did use my daughter's prescription tube a few years ago, but it was winter. I got too dry and irritated and it was a short-lived experiment. This time I started Differin in the summer, and my skin had no trouble at all adjusting to it. In fact, it's been a life saver in the summer, when I normally experience many more breakouts and clogged pores as a result of the heat and humidity. The other tip that seems to help is to wait thirty minutes after washing to apply it. I've been on it for about six weeks and am seeing big improvements. My skin tone is actually less red than it used to be.

I have written a lot of reviews over the years -- the mark of a never-satisfied customer with sensitive, acne prone skin! Differin has really helped me feel like I'm doing the right thing. I've streamlined my routine and don't feel the need to experiment with products like I used to. I'm sticking with it.

UPDATE: Another reviewer noted that this doesn't prevent acne caused by cosmetics, and that seems to be the gospel truth. For example, I seem to break out any time I try a product containing any kind of silicone -- which means all silky feeling foundations and sunscreen, etc. My hair is long, and I can't even get away with using conditioners containing silicone. I just went through an awful round of cosmetic-induced acne, and no, Differin is not magic enough to keep me clear under those conditions.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have used this 2 seperate times, both times it dried my skin out so badly I couldn't continue. I initially asked for this as it is supposed to be the mildest form of retinoid, however my skin was just too sensitive for it.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was prescribed to use Differin Gel 0.01% to treat my mild-to-moderate acne, many years ago. I didn't find this product to be a miracle worker, and neither did it do anything to help with skrinking my pores either. It just isn't the best fit my skin, even though I didn't find it to be harsh on my skin all that much. It is honestly the least harsh acne medication that i have ever been prescribed, but at the same time not effective enough to keep keep my acne breakouts under control like i needed it to. Thank God i never had to pay for it, as i would receive boxes with lots of trial sized samples of it inside given to me. As, this stuff is very expensive, i did come to learn.

Also, i cannot speak on it being possibly anti-aging, because when i was prescribed it, i was quite young without any fine lines or wrinkles on my face at all. Plus, I, didn't end up using it that long anyways either.

on 8/26/2012 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I'm not gonna tell you my whole life story with acne but it's just generally been a very rollercoaster-y few years with my skin. I finally went to the derm and got a prescription for Differin. Let me tell you, this stuff is miraculous. The first two months really suck, don't take it remotely lightly. You break out in places you've never even seen a zit before. But by the third month everything gets so much better. Perseverance is key with this stuff. And don't forget sunscreen, I was a lifeguard this summer and forgot a few times..... BAD IDEA. It messes with all of the progress you made. Now I can walk out in public with not a lick of makeup on and feel so proud of my skin.
Routine:
Morning: Clean and Clear Cream Face Wash
Cetaphil Moisturizer
Night: wash rag and boiling hot water to wipe your face before cleansing (purges dirt and oil from your pores so the face wash goes as deep as possible)
Clean and Clear Cream Face Wash
Differin 0.3
Before workouts or showers during the day: Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Oil-Cleansing Wipes (smell sooooo good too!)

Hope this helps!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got this in 0.1% from my derm for my mild acne (whiteheads and blackheads mostly on my cheeks). Been using for almost a mth and now i cannot live without it! My bumps looks much lesser just after a few days into this treatment. So far it didnt cause me any purging nor did it stings my skin. After about 4 days into it, my skin burns so badly after cleansing at night (im using mu remover n cleanser which contains aha and my clarisonic brush). So much so tat watever i put onto my skin after tat just makes my skin burns like mad! I know i should not be using harsh cleanser with differin but im not comfortable using a gentle cleanser at night... Perhaps i should not use clarisonic too but i dont feel my skin is clean without a strong cleanser plus clarisonic! So whenever it starts burning real bad, i skip using differin a few days and resume when my skin no longer burns upon washing (my skin dosent burn in the am with my gentle cleanser..). Im receiving microdermabrasion treatment every forthnightly as well so was advised to stop differin a few days before and after the treatment so ive been on n off on differin but still, it gives me great results! Perhaps since im going on n off on differin, i dun get all the bad reactions too.. My derm says its perfectly fine to go on n off like this till my skin get used to it without burning so im just gonna do tat! i realised my skin is less oily, pores looks a bit smaller, skin looks smoother (lesser bumps) overall with no bad side effects except the burning. Very happy with this!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been on the generic version of Differin (adapalene) for several years now. It really works for me. This will not clear up underlying hormonal acne, and it won't work overnight. It's a long-term treatment that will reduce surface-y breakouts. My skin can be sensitive, but I don't think I even experienced any signficant dryness when I started using this stuff. In fact, I think it makes my skin a little more dewy. Although I've read that this stuff is fine to use during the day (it's a synthetic retinoid -- natural retinoids like Retin-A can be changed in a dangerous way in the sunlight), I wear it at night only, after washing my face before bed. It does feel a bit gooey (doesn't sink in all the way), but I notice a difference when I wear it (glowy-er, healthier-looking skin) so I do it. I don't even need to put a moisturizer over it -- that would be waaaaay too much goo for me, but I know that is a matter of personal preference/needs. During the day I make sure to use at least SPF 15 (usually SPF 30), and I am all set. It's not a cureall, but I think it makes a difference. ALSO: Although it isn't marketed as an anti-aging product, I think years of cumulative use have slowed down my wrinkles a little (knock on wood!!) -- I'm 31 and I don't have crows feet or anything like that. Score!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

2nd EDIT: It's been almost 4 month and I am 100% clear, radiant and don't use foundation on a daily basis anymore.

EDIT: I've been using this for 2 months and my skin has never looked better. I am 98% clear with one or two small spots a month. Amazing product!

I was prescribed Differin two weeks ago by my dermatologist. My skin has been reactive over the past 6 months. I break out due to stress and my continuous testing of skincare products and have developed fine lines around my eyes, whiteheads and sporadic acne on T-zone and cheeks.

She told me to STOP using everything that I am currently using. She prescribed a gentle lactic acid cleanser called Lactibon to balance the PH of my acid mantle. She also recommend Purpose Gel Cleanser if Lactibon wasn't available. She then told me to use a pea size amount of Differin Gel after washing my face each night. In the morning, I was my face with the cleanser and then I apply C-Vital Oil-Free Gel for Oily Combination skin. Differin can make my eyelids a little dry, so I keep some Vitamin E oil handy and just tap my upper eyelids and undereye area with it.

After using hundreds of products in the past 4 years, I am relieved to see only 3 products next to my sink. At first, Differin made me breakout a little and my skin felt dry, but nothing major. After 2 weeks (and although I still have a few whiteheads that are under the surface), my skin looks clear, radiant, and even my fine lines and freckles are lightening. I have oocasional purging but they clear up within 2-3 days due tho the Differin. I absolutely love Differin. Go out and get a prescription now!

on 11/28/2010 4:41:00 PM

This product seriously ruined my skin. I had mild acne to begin with and my dermatologist prescribed this to me and told me my acne would get worse to start out with and get better after a few months. It instantly made me break out like crazy all over my face but i stuck with it for about 9 months. I still had horrible skin. Now, 5 years later... i have never been able to get my skin back to where it was. I have to wear makeup now and can't seem to break that cycle. I have a lot of scarring from this product as well. It gave me a lot of stress and self esteem problems and I didnt even want to leave the house! I would say that if you only have mild acne or if you have sensitive skin then AVOID this product!!!

on 8/15/2010 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After a few years of pubescent acne, I decided I finally wanted to clear it up. My dermatologist had previously prescribed rx Retin-A (0.04 concentration) and my skin just never got used to it. It shrunk my pores (fantastic at that) but it didn't help at all with acne and rather made my skin more dry and ended up somehow causing more of those small subsurface nodules that never came to a head and just stayed there. My dermatologist told me that it would take at least 6 weeks to see results and that I would go through an initial 'purging' period in which all of the gunk underneath my skin was brought to surface. He said afterwards, however, my skin would be luminous, clear, and retin-a would give me the handy side-effect of preventing any wrinkles in the future (way too young to be worrying about that at 18). I tried my best to stay on it- I would gladly dish out the money to start a prescription routine that would help me keep my skin fabulous for the rest of my life. Like I said, my skin hated it. I had to use a heavy cream at night. If I didn't put a very moisturizing layer on before the retin-a (only a tiny pea sized amount for my face and neck) my skin would peel and be pink. I also swim and run competitively and the retin-a made my skin very sensitive to heat, sweat, and chlorinated water. Once I stopped the prescription, my skin slowly got back to normal and my acne was somewhat reduced. I decided to give my skin a nice long break before I tried another prescription treatment. I had a year long break until I had a dermatologist appointment again about two weeks ago. He knew that I would follow a regimen carefully and was aware that I would do whatever I needed to get my nice preteen skin back. He told me we were going to go 'all out', meaning a super-lowe dose minocycline oral antibiotic, topical clindamycin gel during the day, and differin 0.3 every other night. I have found that the differin barely irritates my skin at all (very strange) and my skin has gradually gotten much better. I had some redness and a few pimples and it has all receded into milky clear skin. All comedones are gone.
This cost about $40 and I have a great insurance policy so I don't know how much some people would pay. I would tell everyone to give it a try- and go ahead and get the 0.3.

on 9/15/2009 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have got this on prescription from my derm 3 months ago and till now it did nothing good for my acne.

I put it on my chin and neck at night, my acne is the worst on that area. After a few weeks I had the feeling it worked, my pimples became smaller and disappeared quicker, but after that it became worse again. Now I have 3 big cysts, that don't respond to the Differin.

The good thing is that my sensitive skin doesn't become irritated or dry, so I keep on using it for a while to see if the situation changes.