Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

4.5

on 7/15/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Fixed all my acne problems!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have basically tried ever single acne treatment on the market, and this is the best thing I've ever used. The main ingredient, Adapalene, does wonders for my troublesome skin. It goes straight to the source and starts to get rid of it that way. I've used it for about 3-4 months now and the results are amazing. You can get a small tube of this at Walgreen's for $8 and it's worth every penny! You will experience some dryness when you first start using it, but it will go away eventually.

on 12/31/2016 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this here and there for quite some time and realized I never wrote a review for it. I credit chemical exfoliators for being a large component of: getting rid of my acne/keeping me clear, smoothing out my skin texture, and quickly fading any marks. It's something I've posted about on MUA a lot about over the years as my skin is a major issue in general.

The FDA recently lifted the ban on Adapalene being over-the-counter in the U.S. Adapalene is the active ingredient in Differin. It's a type of retinoid, not to be confused with Retin-A. Retin-A is tretinoin (another type of retinoid). Tretinoin is a lot stronger & won't likely be approved for over the counter sales anytime soon.

There's been a ton of debates on whether or not Differin can help with anti-aging. In my opinion, it can. There's a major misconception that it's useless for that purpose. Differin is marketed to help with acne. The reason they don't intend it for anti-aging purposes is because there hasn't been enough research for collagen production like there has with Retin A. The fact of the matter is adapelene is a retinoid, and retinoids are chemical exfoliators no matter how mild. Just keep in mind Retin-A is a lot stronger (and likely more effective).

I typically use Retin-A gel in the lowest strength (.025). Differin .1% adapalene is still milder, but I find it to be a nice alternative. Especially if I'm feeling like my skin's barrier is close to being compromised.

As already mentioned, this is a chemical exfoliator. Since it exfoliates off the top layer of skin you are more photo-sensitive. I can not stress enough how important it is to wear sunscreen if using this (even at night..even a week after stopping usage..). IT DOES NOT MATTER if the only sunlight you get is through windows or in the car. We call this "incidental exposure" on the skincare board. I myself never spend time in the sun. Regardless any natural light that hits you = UVA rays. UVA rays are damaging. In terms of anti-aging, sunscreen is even more important than using chemical exfoliators. I know those of you using this for acne purposes probably won't think that's a big deal but it goes beyond anti-aging. Protecting your barrier will help acne heal better.

If you find Differin to be too strong for you there are a few suggestions I'd like to include:
-Wait an hour after washing your face to apply
-Buffer with moisturizer
-Apply every other night (with Retin-A gel I apply once every 3 nights but with Differin I can apply almost every night...it's much more mild)

Last but not least, please only wear this at night. This goes back to the photo-sensitivity issue. I'd recommend giving Differin some time to work its magic for a couple of weeks before judging on it's effectiveness. Again this is quite mild, so it may take a while to really start exfoliating.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is very effective yet gentle.
I've been used differin about 2 months and it makes my skin smooth.
My acne disappear and now it's better.
Really love this product!!!!

on 3/18/2009 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Best treatment gel ever. I live on this.I apply a tiny amount on small pimples overnight and they are almost gone by the morning. Good for marks too. Large pimples take longer to heal.

It is drying and v.irritant so I only use at night and wash it off in the morning. I do not use it over my whole face only on the pimple. it does not prevent my spots but it heals them

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been on this a couple weeks now. In the first few days, I experienced some peeling and itching. Now, a few weeks later, my face is oilier than ever and covered in huge cysts. Is this purging? Because I hope it goes away soon...I look HORRIBLE! I've never had so many large pimples at one time in my life, and am using bp during the daytime to try to combat the acne. SO far, Differin has not helped my skin at all- I hope that the purging will end quickly and that my skin begins to respond to treatment. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, but if this keeps up, I prbly can't continue.