Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

PSA!!! a motto for this product is if you don’t have the will you won’t get your way! background context (bc this is always so useful to me when i’m trying to compare how products will work with my skin so I got you girl): I am 22 almost 23, I’ve dealt with hormonal, genetic, severe acne for 11 years!! I have combination to oily oily skin. As I have gotten older it has become less aggressive but still very consistent in my EVERYDAY life (I always expected to wake up and have a pimple - sad but true) acne areas: mainly cheeks, chin, occasional forehead, and upper lip review: the key to this product is patience!! I have been using Differin for about 3 months now and let me just say.. I’ve never given a review on a product ever and this is my first time bc I believe in this. I was at a breaking point like I have been many times before.. I have never been to a dermatologist so I decided to give an over the counter product one more try before I took that step and I’m glad I did bc the dermatologist is expensive and I’m on a college budget. This is not to discourage anyone but the purge is real and it is heartbreaking. My skin has consistently had bumps but nothing like it did when it purged.. I cried and I got over it bc I was determined to have clear skin and like they always say “it gets bad before it gets worse” and it’s true. My face blew up (yes I know everyone doesn’t “purge” but mine was very severe) and it was devastating. I did read about purging so I would know what to expect but my skin PURGED like I didn’t know it could. BRIGHT SIDE: After the purge which lasted 2 to 2 1/2 weeks my skin started to clear up slowly. I saw a turn so I continued NIGHTLY to put a pea size on after moisturizer (it helps it spread more easily) then put more moisturizer on after it had dried completely. This is a very drying treatment so if you have dry skin make sure you moisturize!! My skin did get a little flaky so exfoliate gently every other day. As I have continued with Differin my skin has done a 180!! the majority of my face is clear - haven’t seen it like this since birth lol. I still have texture and acne scars that I have to work on but as for acne this product has cleared my skin, except for a few little spots here and there - but still a major improvement! I can gladly say for the first time in 11 years I am on the track to permanently clear skin. Last note: I always thought putting sunscreen on would make my skin more oily and disgusting but it is necessary for the moisture this product takes out of your skin. I put the neutrogena face lotion (sunscreen) with SPF of 70 in the morning before makeup and it doesn’t break out my face. Also! do not use any other acne treatment with this including the small amount of salicylic acid that’s in your face wash (it cancels out the Adapalene in this product which is the retinoid that causes it to be successful). I hope this was helpful for anyone who needs some hope in their fight with acne. xoxo J

on 9/25/2018 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Did experience a slight purge in the beginning but they went away days later. Used a pea sized amount every other night for 2 weeks then nightly after that. Im in my mid forties & my skin has never looked better! Bye bye acne!

P/S: DO NOT FORGET to wear a substantial amount of sunscreen in the day. EVERDAY!

This did not work on my deep-seated closed comedones despite having used it every night for years. However, it provides less irritation and sensitivity than tretinoin and helps to control oil production and pore size. Over time, it also smoothens out the skin. I use this on alternate nights with tretinoin 0.025% cream for acne control. It is a milder product that would be most suited for sensitive skins who cannot use tretinoin

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sorry guys, I'm here to crash the Differin party. Using this stuff was a nightmare for me. Is this product designed to trick people into thinking their skin is worse than it is so they keep using it?! I tried it on 3 different occasions, stuck with it for months, but alas the only difference I saw in my skin was negative -- redness, irritation, peeling, bumps on my forehead, big cystic pimples that scarred my face, and a horrible "orange peel" texture when I would try to put on my makeup. Some of these can be considered normal side effects of using a retinoid and I told myself for a while it was normal, but ultimately once I stopped using Differin for a week my skin was calm, happy, healthy, and 90% of the acne I thought was hormonal was gone. If you want to give Differin a shot it might work for you, but be careful and pay attention to your skin. If you continuously break out in areas where you normally don't, you are NOT purging and you should stop use immediately.

on 11/8/2017 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i have been using 0.1 gel for 11days/still on week 2. no changes or improvement or break out yet. pores are still very clogged. im waiting for the purge to start. i was hoping it would start sooner because im not going anywhere this week. but sadly it dint start yet. i was starting to suspect adapalene dont work for me, because i didnt experience any dryness or flaking of skin.
i use it a few times few months ago with only a few applications and stop. it did burned a few spot that time and give me new whiteheads along my jaw. But this time round nothing happen at all i find it strange.
will continue to use it to see if it do anything and update here.

UPDATE: im on mid third week. more clogged pores. 2-3 clogged pores become inflamed and become a no head pimples. maybe this is the purging phase?

UPDATE: 4weeks, i have stop using it. it has no effect on me beside making my skin very oily. it dint get worse or any better. if it get worse i would assume its the purge phase but theres none.

on 10/25/2017 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Such a game changer. I’m going on 28 and have been battling acne since the age of 12. This has dramatically reduced my redness, cystic acne around the jaw and hairline and helped smooth the overall appearance of my skin.

Pros, it doesn’t have a noticeable scent, or even that heinous, “scent free” chemical scent. It applies smoothly, the 0.5oz tube lasts a long time and it’s easy to get out of the tube.

Cons, it is expensive for an OTC acne treatment, it will dry out your skin and cause serious flaking if you jump right into using it. It’s still packaged like a medicated tube of acne medicine.

I would suggest starting out smoothing on a pea sized drop once or twice a week after applying moisturizer and then work your way up to every day if necessary. I still use moisturizer before applying, simply because my nose and my chin area can get very dry and even with moisturizing I have noticed dry patches in those areas.

on 10/6/2017 10:19:00 AM

Okay, so I literally made an account just to write this review because the stuff is that good. I always had minimal acne in the past that would spike randomly but eventually die down. This year, I found out I have a thyroid disease, which totally screws up your hormones. My acne was out of control and I tried EVERYTHING. I started using Differin about 5 months ago and I rarely ever see a single zit. Not kidding. I think it's even faded my acne scars. I wanted to wait five months to write this because you can't trust reviews that are written after a few tries. Retinoids work slowly over time. I am the least patient person I know but I swear this stuff is GOLD. I mean, to be able to combat endocrine crash related acne?? That's good stuff. I washed my face with a simple cleanser, Castille Soap, and moisturizer with Garnier Moisture Bomb. They work well with the Differin if you're more oily prone. Your face might have more oil or it might dry out in the first two weeks, but after that everything evens out. Best of luck!!

on 9/17/2017 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can truly say I think I've finally found the cure to my acne after years of misery and embarrassment. ANYONE who feels like they have tried everything besides accutane (which i refused to use), please give this a try. Obviously, its not an overnight thing, give it a few weeks! My acne would be cystic and painful, and would always reside under my cheekbones, and contouring my face would always be the worst part of my make up routine. The way the directed use with this stuff is has cut my skincare regimen in half. I cut out any salicylic acids/harsh products and just let the adapalene do it's job. I haven't seen my skin this clear since I was in high school, it honestly puts me all up in my feels how much my skin has improved. My skin is almost 100%! This stuff has allowed me to be able to start the process of evening out dark spots and scarring. I am so thankful for this product, and I'm begging you guys to give it a try! <3
side note:
1. STOP PICKING YOUR FACE!!!!! The dramatic improvement I saw from this product made me leave my face alone. I used to pop and pop and pick and pick and my skin would look angry, and my acne would swell. Whenever I pick my face now, I instantly regret it because my skin looked great until I started messing with it!!
2. Use an SPF with this stuff, your skin gets a bit sensitive to UV. I've began using Bareminerals Bareskin spf 20 for some protection.
3. Definitely use before bed! I put this stuff on after a good gentle cleansing and my witch hazel toner. Retinoids, for me, have always been so much more effective as a before bed product.
4. Try to cut out harsh drying products! This stuff has trained me to not over do it (I used to be so guilty of this) I use dermalogica gentle calming cleanser, I also did buy Differin's cleansing wash as well. I seldom use benzoyl peroxide products, maybe for the occasional mask or spot treatment, but my skin is loving the adapalene, that's really all it needs now.
Good luck everyone, I hope this stuff works miracles on you too! xoxo

on 8/24/2017 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It doesn't seem to be effective on active inflamed acne for me, but I'm hoping it will help with clogged pores. It helps peel. I've been using it for one month.

on 8/17/2017 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

So far (3 weeks) I notice this makes my skin smoother, more sensitive, and also makes breakouts come to the surface faster than usual. Not overnight or anything, but breakouts do come to a head faster.

Sadly, this does not prevent breakouts from cosmetics. If I put on a problematic powder, foundation, or sunscreen, I WILL get pimples from it as per usual.

The way I apply this is after moisturizer at night. I wash my face, put either Differin Balancing moisturizer or Vanicream Light lotion on damp skin, let that set/dry, and then I put on a layer of differin gel all over. After a minute or so I dab either PC 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide, or 10% BENZOYL peroxide Persagel. I far prefer the 10% as my face is a frigging mess of breakouts at the moment. I can tell its getting better though, which is at least a relief from the annoyance of getting wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and acne at the same time.

Using this makes my usual chemical sunscreens burn a little, but I still use them because I tried switching to FOUR different mineral sunscreens and they all caused me breakouts and some burned my face (Neostrata, Neutrogena, Clinique, Paulas Choice), setting me back in the improvements I was seeing with the aid of differin gel.

I plan on sticking with this for at least 3 months. Hopefully this works.