Differin Gel

Filtered by skin type : Combination
 Differin Gel

3.9

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I have sensitive, combination skin with mild but stubborn acne, in my 30s. I'm so glad this is now available without a prescription. It's changed my skin dramatically for the better. I no longer need to use benzoyl peroxide, which is effective but drying. I've tried tretinoin (Retinin A) but my skin is just too sensitive.

A few tips:
* It will take a few weeks to see a result. Skin cycle time is about 6 weeks, plan on it. I saw results in 3 weeks.
* Apply immediately after cleansing to be most effective, unless you are trying to reduce irritation, in which case apply after moisturisers.
* As this is a retinol, your skin may purge. I didn't, possibly because I switched directly from BP.

I purchased this because I wanted to see if this would work for me instead of using retin a. I will say this works very well and on my skin is quite gentle. I have been using this for months daily at bedtime and am very happy with the results. My skin is clear and smooth. But I do still get hormonal spots that I sometimes have to use my retin a on. Reason being the Differin gel works but it's not as strong as retin a so it takes longer for spots to go away. I had a cluster of underground spots and it took months with the differin gel to finally clear it. In the end I did use some retin a to finally get rid of the acne spots I had. So I rated this 5 lippies because if you don't mind waiting and putting in the effort in time this does work.

But if you are still dealing with spots for quite a long time I find the retin a works better. Now granted one is now otc while the other is by RX. So I find now that I use them both but not at the same time. I use differin gel daily while I'll spot treat with the retin a when I have a spot that's taking forever to heal. The Differin gel though is an excellent product no doubt about it as both me and my sig other loves it. I use it on his spots too but he only needs it as a spot treatment. For me it comes down to speed and convenience if you have the patience to use this for the long haul it will work. But if you want speed and rapid exfoliation the retin a is the route to go.

I will continue to use differin gel everyday and that is the key with this you must stick with it. I find it very gentle and it's a great daily acne treatment. So to me this does work as long as I use this daily without fail. Also I do not peel at all with this whereas with the other I peel and that's something I really dislike. So for me I prefer the Differin but if I want anti aging use plus acne treatment the retin a is better hands down. So if you're looking for an acne treatment my advice with this is to just stick with it. Give it at least 8 solid weeks or longer. It does work and it does work well. Plus being able to get this otc I think is excellent and a great product for me. Also the fact that it's so gentle makes it a great product for my sensitive skin. Recommended.

on 9/17/2017 2:16:00 PM

I can truly say I think I've finally found the cure to my acne after years of misery and embarrassment. ANYONE who feels like they have tried everything besides accutane (which i refused to use), please give this a try. Obviously, its not an overnight thing, give it a few weeks! My acne would be cystic and painful, and would always reside under my cheekbones, and contouring my face would always be the worst part of my make up routine. The way the directed use with this stuff is has cut my skincare regimen in half. I cut out any salicylic acids/harsh products and just let the adapalene do it's job. I haven't seen my skin this clear since I was in high school, it honestly puts me all up in my feels how much my skin has improved. My skin is almost 100%! This stuff has allowed me to be able to start the process of evening out dark spots and scarring. I am so thankful for this product, and I'm begging you guys to give it a try! <3
side note:
1. STOP PICKING YOUR FACE!!!!! The dramatic improvement I saw from this product made me leave my face alone. I used to pop and pop and pick and pick and my skin would look angry, and my acne would swell. Whenever I pick my face now, I instantly regret it because my skin looked great until I started messing with it!!
2. Use an SPF with this stuff, your skin gets a bit sensitive to UV. I've began using Bareminerals Bareskin spf 20 for some protection.
3. Definitely use before bed! I put this stuff on after a good gentle cleansing and my witch hazel toner. Retinoids, for me, have always been so much more effective as a before bed product.
4. Try to cut out harsh drying products! This stuff has trained me to not over do it (I used to be so guilty of this) I use dermalogica gentle calming cleanser, I also did buy Differin's cleansing wash as well. I seldom use benzoyl peroxide products, maybe for the occasional mask or spot treatment, but my skin is loving the adapalene, that's really all it needs now.
Good luck everyone, I hope this stuff works miracles on you too! xoxo

on 4/26/2017 2:47:00 AM

Please note, no reviews should be even considered if they use the gel less than 8 weeks. Results may even take slightly longer. There is a purge, READ the documents included in the differin package, and FOLLOW them. In 5 weeks I noticed smoother skin, smaller pores, less blackheads, less redness (it's also an antinflammatory). Who needs highlighter when your skin is smooth and glowing. Give it a shot, but only if you can commit to a purge and at least 8 weeks of nightly application.

I've started using Differin gel, not for acne but for age prevention/ tone correction. I've been a user of Retin A on and off since '08, and love it after the initial purging and peeling stage. Sadly I can no longer afford to go to my derm twice a year or pay for the RX. But I discovered that Differin is available OTC since last year, at $28 a pop. So I figured it was worth a shot to test out its efficacy for non acne issues. I have read that Differin is more photo stable than Retin A, so you are at less risk of sun damage (that being said, I will still be using sunscreen during the AM hours). I've been using it for about a week now. Far too soon to have yielded results, but I'll edit my review as I go. So far I'm liking it better than Retin A in the initial stage. I'm am starting to peel lightly, but not anything like the snakeskin molting that occurs when I'm starting out with the RA. I'm also not experiencing the blistering on my chin/side of mouth like I do with RA until I've built up a tolerance to it. I am starting to get pimples popping up that were under my skin, but that is the normal purging process of retinoids. My combination skin seems to agree more with the gel Differin that to the cream RA. I'm a recovering product junkie trying to embrace minimalism in my skin regime. My night time routine is as follows. I use a baking soda face wash from Biore, for light daily exfoliation. Afterwards I mist my face with pure rosewater and rub in organic rosehip seed oil. I then apply a pearl sized dab of Differin onto my whole face, then use CeraVe Pm facial lotion, as it really seems to soothe the inevitable irritation that comes with retinoid use. I know not to expect the same results that RA gives me, but my skin is in a good state right now, so I'm not in need of a serious overhaul, just general maintenance. We'll see if Differin fills that need. Stay tuned...
***Update 9/18/17
So I've been using this almost every night (sometimes I get lazy and skip my routine, just wash and slap my night cream on), but I'm pretty impressed! No, it's not the same as my Retin A, but my skin tolerates the Differin better. My skin is nearly poreless, and my glow is seriously no joke. The shallow wrinkles that go from my nose to my mouth have filled in almost completely. The skin under my eyes have plumped up, in a good way. The little comma by my right eyebrow remains the same, but should I want to fix that one, it would probably require a neddle and some bee toxin. No thanks. I did experience some purging and peeling, but nothing that wasn't alleviated by babying my skin (I'd be lost without CeraVe healing ointment!). All in all I'd have to say that if you want to experiment with a retinoid but can't get to a derm or afford the rx retin a to give this a shot. Its works a lot better than all the skin care retinols on the market. Recommend!

on 11/6/2016 4:50:00 PM

People give up wayyyy too soon, with a retinoid like this you're unlikely to see any actual improvements till month 3, and the differin has likely yet finished improving your skin even then, so when I see people giving up 2 days in, or 9, I can't help but laugh, clearly this med isn't for you if that's how long you're willing to give it, unless you got actual contact dermatitis from using this there's absolutely no reason to stop or judge the med before month 4-5, you shouldn't even be leaving reviews as a few days isn't long enough to judge any skincare product ever.
An initial worsening of your acne is possible and even likely which is why it's often paired with a topical/oral antibiotic to get through the purging months until the Differin starts working, so no, it's not Differin being terrible or useless rather your lack of research and ability to commit to something.

on 9/21/2016 10:08:00 AM

Differin gave me an impressively painful chemical burn all over my face. Would not use again.

on 3/14/2016 2:18:00 PM

This is an amazing product that I have used on and off since the age of 13. I am 26 now. Initially it may make your skin red and peely, but if you push through that adjustment period, your skin will glow. I do think that it looses its effectiveness after a while so I take a few month break every couple of years or so and then it works again like magic. It is also amazing at preventing wrinkles and sun damage. I use this product in combination with many other natural products and oils and this is what works best for me. I have tried to eliminate the differin gel completely because it is not totally natural but i have found that my skin just doesn't look or feel the same without it. I have also tried other perscription retinoids but this one works the best for me. It is so gentle compared to other retinoids, yet highly effective. I have noticed that many girls my age are starting to get some minor wrinkles but my face is totally wrinkle free and I seriously think it is because I have used differin for so many years. Differin definitely helps to reduce acne and clogged pores but is not a miracle cure for acne. I have found that eating healthy (no fried foods, lots of fruits and veggies, lots of water, etc.), taking some skin boosting supplements, and staying active, along with the differin gel, keeps my acne at bay for the most part. Even after all these years, the .1% which I believe is the lowest strength, works best for my skin. I have tried stronger doses and they have just been really irratating. If you have minor to moderate acne or just want to prevent wrinkles, I highly suggest you talk to your derm about this medicine!

on 8/26/2015 11:29:00 PM

I've tried most of the major topical retinoids - tretinoin (retin-a), tazarotene (tazorac), and adapalene (differin). I initially used them for acne and now use them to prevent skin cancer and to help with photodamage (wrinkling and pigmentation problems).This is my favorite. Tretinoin and Tazarotene, while not making me a flaky mess, somehow cause constant low-grade irritation that often manifested as tiny pimples and ruddiness. This just keeps my skin clear, and has prevented sun-related pigmentation problems (I have more freckling on my neck where I didn't use retinoids when I was younger).

on 1/25/2015 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I think this works for people who perhaps really need it or have skin issues but I would not recommend it to someone with minor skin blemishes. I used this years ago when I was in high school. The following all happened while I was 17 years old. This experience has one major theme: irresponsibility!

1. I was seeking perfect skin when I really didn't have major issues and took my doctors advise without a second thought (irresponsible)
2. I noticed my skin was a flakey and sensitive and I continued use, hoping my doctors recommendation would in fact give me flawlessness (even more irresponsible).

The story: I didn't really have a lot of problems with my skin in high school - just the typical breakouts that any girl would have. My doctor recommended that I use this when I complained that my skin wasn't "up to standard" or whatever the hell I thought it should be at this age. She told me to use Differin.

Not only was it seemingly ineffective for me, but it made my skin feel sensitive, but...I wasn't sure. I did notice my skin was a bit dry and flakey but I was just thinking that the doctor said it would help and so I continued to use it. What is the worst that could happen? :)

After about 4 months of use, I went to get my eyebrows waxed as I normally did at the time. The woman applied wax, no big deal and tore it off. Pretty standard. After she ripped off one side, I felt like skin had come off. Being too scared to ask her wtf was going on and why it felt so unbearable I actually let her do the other side. I stood up, paid, walked out and cried all the way home. The wind hitting my face on the way home was too much to bear. The pain was absolutely terrible and I can manage physical pain!

When I got home, literally all of the skin above and below my eyebrows was gone. Missing. Not there. Pure red flesh. One of the most painful things ever. Not to mention the utter embarrassment!

Now, I get it could have totally been the wax and initially that is what I thought, too. After speculating, the wax was not hotter than usual, that woman had done my eyebrows a series of times and the only thing I had changed in my skin care routine was using Differin. I think it made my skin overly sensitive and ....really just weak. I had very resilient/ non sensitive skin prior to using the product.

This is just my experience. If you do not need to use a prescribed product, don't mess with it. I am happy this works for people that rely on it, but for me I do believe it changed my skin in a negative way. I waited three years to try waxing again, and a similar thing happened (with cold wax), I think the strength/ makeup of my skin had changed since using Differin. No big deal I just don't use it anymore.....................OR wax my eyebrows :)