Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 5/9/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this from my GP 1,5 year ago. and it worked really good for me! not everything was gone but it was much better! I only used it at night and washed it of in de mornings with water. But then it became summer and I got sunburns all the time. I stopped using it and my skin stayed really good but now It has never been worse so I'm thinking of using it again but it's becoming summer and I don't know if it's a good idea..

DIFFERIN Cream 0.01

I typically have normal skin, I am 34, but I have cystic acne on my chin. This began at 23ish..but i think its mostly stress related.
I am generally a very healthy eater. I dont normally ever have gluten or refined sugar and the dairy I would consume would typically be considered healthy greek yogurt, or natural plain yogurt etc..you catch my drift. Although I have now for the past 1-2 months have cut it totally out. Slight difference not a whole lot.

Went to the doctor asked about accutane he said yes it works, but the acne would come back! whats the point then!! so I decided not to go ahead plus its not that severe.

I have been taking Zinc Gluconate on and off, this time it isnt working, so he gave me Differin cream its a low dose, BUT ITS WORKING :) most of the acne is coming to a head and leaving...finally! Its nice to see that my pores are being unclogged I guess..also NO peeling or redness I used it for 4-5 days straight then took a few days off just in case..and yup it looks a touch better.

I also used coconut oil and Clinque turnaround radiance renewer new and old kind I have both and Neutrogena 3in1 hyrdrating cream, bought because of beautypedia $12.99 at shoppers drug mart its not discontinued in Toronto I guess. I will probably be getting the Differin again although this is the first time in my life I didnt have benefits and I paid $130 thats crazy!:( BTW Cetaphil is made by the same company thats why they try to tell you to use it in conjunction I am assuming for some people. I don't like it, well I tried when this all started and I didnt so...ya years later now I use CeraVe. :)

I've been on differin 0.1 gel for 2 months,and it has cleared my skin a bit,but i'm getting a few more pimples in spots i never used to get them.It caused my skin to be really dry and flaky at first and i still get it a little bit.It's hard to tell if its going to completly clear my skin or not,but i've heard you have to be patient.So i'm going to keep using it for a few more months.Overall i do like differin,you just have to be patient to see results (my doctor also told me this)

on 1/20/2013 6:08:00 PM

I never write reviews but when I was searching for a solution to my cystic acne I promised myself I would if I found a product that worked. Over the past 20 years I've tried oral antibiotics, Accutane, benzol peroxide, salicyc acid, and nothing has helped like Differin did (other than the pill which does work wonders but which I stopped taking several years ago). Differin does cause an awful purge for the first 8-12 weeks but you just need to stick with it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

*UPDATE 30 Jan 2012* I scrapped Differin at the end of December. Unfortunately, after about 5 months of being on the stuff, I just didn't see enough of an improvement to warrant continuing. I continued to break out though all other side effects - redness, dryness, itching, etc. all went away. Shame. Gonna give Skinoren a whirl now...

Okay, so first let me say that I will be returning in the next couple of weeks to a month to edit my review as I have not yet hit my target number of weeks of being on this medicine. Could be that plenty changes from now till then, but I wanted to write a partial review as normally I just troll this site reading what others have written (thanks to everyone for their input).

I've been on Differin now for just about 10 weeks. I picked it up prescription free from a pharmacy while on a trip to the Emirates a few months ago. I was looking for Skinoren (which I bought two tubes of) and the pharmacist recommended Differin instead.

While I've been on Differin, I have not been using any other acne treatments topically nor systemically. I use a Vichy facial cleanser for all skin types and I moisturize with Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (the kind that comes in a big tub). I tried Dr. Haushka's rose light moisturizer, but it left my skin seriously tight and burned like hell. In all fairness though, since starting Differin, even touching my face causes it to burn.

I have moderate acne. Had great skin for years (I'm 30 now) and for whatever reason the last few years my skin has turned to crap - constantly breaking out with whiteheads, pustules, papules, a few blackheads here and there and cysts. Most of this stuff pops up on my chin with a few scattered on my cheeks and hairline. In the past I've tried the typical stuff - BP, topical anti bacterial stuff, etc. I also tried accutane for 1.5 months, but got off because I got bad side effects - blurry vision (which lasted till almost a year later), horrible headaches, body pain, etc. Within the 1.5 months I was on it though, it did a great job. Cleared me right up and my skin somehow was even radiant, but this was short lived. Within a few months, the acne started coming back.

So, back to the Differin. I started a little over 9 weeks ago and within the first week of use, I noticed my break outs were getting worse. My skin was also extremely dry and peeling (which lasted for a good 6-8 weeks, but now it only peels around the nose crevices, corners of my mouth and around the acne lesions - dab some Cetaphil on and I'm good to go) and very sensitive to the touch. Also, the first few weeks, even though this stuff dried my skin out big time, when I'd wake up, my skin was like an oil slick. I know that makes next to no sense, but it would be so shiny and greasy - very weird for someone with otherwise normal to dry skin. Anyway, the breakouts continued to get worse and frankly, quite horrible (so many at once, red and painful and even in places where I didn't get pimples before like my forehead - albeit, I've only gotten 2-3 there).

Oh yeah, I should say that I apply Differin - gel .01%- once per day, in the evening. I don't apply a moisturizer before or after. I only use moisturizer in the mornings. I apply what I think is a thin layer - I don't understand how people can spread a pea-sized amount over their entire face. I dot a small pea sized amount on each cheek, my forehead and chin - 4 'small peas' in total. I also don't wear any make up.

It seems as though just this week my skin MAY be starting to improve. I haven't noticed any new break outs and the stuff that was existing seems to be on its way out. Thing is, I've just started my period which for me means the week before I'm likely to start breaking out (in other words, maybe my skin is normalizing on its own again and perhaps it's not the Differin), so I want to give it another month, till my next period, to see how my skin reacts then.

Differin does a really good job of clearing pimples away. They come to a 'head' faster, pop faster (yup, I give them some encouragement), and disappear quickly. Also, the super hard ones - I think that are called blackheads - start coming out much easier too. In the past week, I've also noticed my skin generally looking more radiant. I hate to use silly words like that, but that's precisely how it is. I'm getting the same 'glow' that I did while I was on Accutane. Overall, my skin's texture is smooth (obviously I'm not talking about the bits with acne) and a lovely even color and just has a nice...glow to it. Granted, all of this just happened within the last week, so it could be fluke. I'm going to stick it out at least until I reach the 12 weeks mark (7 Nov - I keep close track of exactly how long I've been on this stuff) and likely until the end of November so I can see how my skin reacts during another period.

Some folks say they didn't start seeing results till the 6 month mark. I don't have the heart to keep at it for that long and I'm surprised at myself for sticking with it as long as I have. My 'initial breakout' lasted, um, until this week (perhaps longer depending on how the next weeks go). And let me tell you, it SUCKS. It is no exaggeration to say that each day I woke up with more and more acne and just washing my face became painful (due to wiping my hands over the acne). And this stuff was angry looking. It's really hard to be 30 and have this kind of skin.

The thing is, I'm really hoping the folks who've written reviews and told everyone who's trying Differin not to give up are right. Anyway, if this week turns out just to be a fluke after all, and if there's no continued/obvious improvement by week 12 or end Nov, then I'm likely going to bail. Differin really does do a good job of smoothing out the skin - no more under the skin bumps (which, in my case, all turned into either blackheads or nasty pustules) and the healing rate of my acne is much faster, but I want a CLEAR F

on 8/3/2011 7:17:00 PM

I have used Differin 0.1% gel cream for almost 4 years. My skin is oily, acne-prone, huge pores, occasional cystic acne, etc.

In the beginning, my skin was very sensitive. Initial breakout was bad, after months I noticed a difference. Differin would get rid of acne within the week, faster than just using my salicylic acid cleanser.

Skin is very sensitive to sun, must wear SPF. Differin does dry out my skin, moisturizer is key (I use pond's). I use Cetaphil cleanser since it is from the same company as Differin. *note: you should not use a salicylic acid cleanser as stated w/the product, benzoyle peroxide is okay*

My skin is clearer than it was back then, I still get some acne due to stress, hormones, lazy days. I still have bumps on forehead, sides of cheeks, w/occasional cystic acne. I find that differin clears up my stress,hormonal acne. Keeps it in control.

1 tube lasts almost 5 mon. - year. Skin texture is smoother. Acne scars lighten up within the month.

Still sticking to Differin, just trying out different cleansers to see if skin will be 100% clear.

I was on a course of accutane approximately two years ago that cleared my skin right up - not a single spot, and the medication dramatically reduced my skin oiliness. Two years on, and my skin has been started to get more spots, but my dermatologist thought a topical solution would be better rather than an additional course of accutane.

I've only been using the differin gel at night for over a week, but it has been great. I thankfully have not yet experienced the initial breakout, and my existing spots have dried up. In addition, my skin has started to look more glowy and toned.

Previous to my accutane treatment, topical solutions did not work for me at all and accutane was the only thing that worked. However, post accutane, I am finding that differin is working well and I would definitely repurchase.

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I love differin. My face used to be so horrible with breakouts all over my cheeks and forehead. I tried BP, tretinoin and oral antibiotics but they didn't have a lasting effect. Then my doctor prescribed me Differin 0.1% and I saw results after 1 week. My skin started to getting clear and all my whiteheads dried up. After a month or so, my skin looked so much better except there were a couple persistent red bumps here and there. Around the time of my period, I still broke out with red bumps but Differin kept it to a minmum.

I just finished using the tube, which lasted me about 6 months or so. I think after using it for awhile, my skin got used to it so I'm now on Differin 0.3% and I'm loving it.

So I won't be purchasing this again since I'm using a stronger version of it but Differin 0.1% helped me so much!!

on 2/14/2010 1:23:00 PM

I bought this buck for 26 Singapore dollars and I heard you can get it at 20 dollars at CGH.
I have a love hate relationship with this.
When I first started using it, it made me peel, breakout and I had perfect skin after that in 2 months or less. So I started to get lazy and decided to stop using it...
Now that I have gone back on the product for almost 2 months it doesn't seem to be that effective as it first was where it purged my pimple.. I don't know. It's been 2 months and I'm still trying.
A week ago, I tried this with benzoyl peroxide and it STINGED like hell and killed 2 pimples bumps I had immediately!! After that I started peeling like crazy. And when I peeled the hyperpigmentation faded slightly. :)
Ooh But my skin was red for 2 days?? And that's coming from someone who doesn't really have sensitive skin.
I'm still using this now. Will update! :)

Made me break out when I started using it but does wonders when reducing a zit overnight! Plus I can easily wear it under makeup...thats one of my favorite things about this cause it is undetectable after my moisturizer....I feel like this is a much better choice than drying creams, benzyl peroxide and salycic acid because it goes to the root of the problem and actually recreates new skin cells..the only thing is it doesn't really do very much for acne red marks, which i why I use it for finacea ...