Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.9

on 7/24/2018 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

This gel made my skin rougher, drier, oiler and pimples multiplied. Since I stopped using this my skin is slowly getting better.

I am 30 and I’ve had mild to moderate acne since I was 16. It’s not mostly hormonal around my jaw line with a few hear and there. I’ve had enough of it so I decided to give differin a try. I’ve been using it for 6 weeks. This is not a product that gives quick results, although I am now finding that it is helping my skin a lot. I did have an initial break out /purging about 2-3 weeks in. I could see the stuff coming out of my pores and hard white heads that I could pull out with tweezers and breakouts. It sucks but it’s also good to know that all that stuff is coming out of your pores. I think I am not past the purging and my break outs are subsiding. My break outs are also healing much much faster and everything comes to the surface extremely quickly and then heals. What really helped me was watching dr dray on YouTube. She’s a dermatologist. She recommends that you moisturize your face while still damp in order to reduce moisture loss. I use the avene tolerance extreme emulsion moisturizer. It’s amazing. I am very sensitive to ingredients so it’s a basic moisturizer that works. I also stopped using harsh face washed and I stick to cerave moisturizing cleanser. After moisturizing my face I use a tiny amount of differin fall over. I have also been using some benzoyl peroxide over that to help with the initial break out but that might cause burning and irritation for some people so be careful. I also use Lilly of the desert aloe on my face to help with the irritation with a small drop of glycerin for added moisture if needed. If my face starts to feel burning and irritated I will stop the differin for a day or two and moisturize and use aloe until that feeling goes away. Do not use differin if your face is burning and irritated because it will get worse. Take a break and then resume once it’s gone. :). It’s all about listening to your skin and keeping irritation to a minimum. I really feel like this stuff is helping my skin a lot. My skin heals way faster and I can see that my pores are clearer. Also my skin is more even. It’s also important to note that you NEED to wear SUNSCREEN with this or your face will burn extremely easily even if you usually do not burn. I am sensitive to a lot of sunscreen but I am using derma e mineral face sunscreen (oil free) with no issues.

on 12/14/2017 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

I used this product for 10 months. It had no effect on breakouts or blackheads (however, I don't suffer from severe symptoms; I'm just chasing that unicorn of "perfect" skin). Differin did give me an "orange peel" texture on my forehead and cheek area, which still hasn't completely gone away. I will not purchase simply because it was an extra step in my routine that did nothing beneficial for me, unfortunately.

on 12/14/2017 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I’m about to rain on everyone’s parade, because I know how much everyone loves this stuff. I’d like to start by saying that I went into my dermatologist’s office for an issue unrelated to acne, and with pretty clear skin. I’ve had my share of gross cystic acne breakouts beginning at age 29, (I’m 43 now) but my skin has been decent lately and my acne fairly well controlled. I mentioned to my derm that I still had occasional breakouts, and that my skin is SUPER oily, (like 13 year old boy going through puberty oily) so she recommended Differin. I immediately went and bought a tube, and I have to say during the first 3 weeks, my pores were smaller and I was definitely less oily! Enter week 4 and the cystic acne eruption began. I’m talking pimples on my chin the size of my chin! I also began breaking out around my upper lip, which made it painful to eat and speak. The makers of this product should definitely give you a heads up on this initial breakout/skin purging thing, but I guess if they did, no one would buy it! I know it’s common for a retinoid to do this, but unless you plan on hiding your face from humans or spending about 2 months in a cabin in the woods, I don’t recommend this. Or...just be emotionally prepared to live with cystic acne for a while. I couldn’t do it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sorry guys, I'm here to crash the Differin party. Using this stuff was a nightmare for me. Is this product designed to trick people into thinking their skin is worse than it is so they keep using it?! I tried it on 3 different occasions, stuck with it for months, but alas the only difference I saw in my skin was negative -- redness, irritation, peeling, bumps on my forehead, big cystic pimples that scarred my face, and a horrible "orange peel" texture when I would try to put on my makeup. Some of these can be considered normal side effects of using a retinoid and I told myself for a while it was normal, but ultimately once I stopped using Differin for a week my skin was calm, happy, healthy, and 90% of the acne I thought was hormonal was gone. If you want to give Differin a shot it might work for you, but be careful and pay attention to your skin. If you continuously break out in areas where you normally don't, you are NOT purging and you should stop use immediately.

on 11/17/2017 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

This is great!!!!! Seriously I am so happy to not have to deal with going to the Dermatologist to get a RX anymore!

I am 36 and yes I do get breakouts and I can say that using this as well as the cleanser has been such a blessing for me!

Don’t forget to use SPF...

Non-Irritating, Effective, Available Pretty Much Everywhere!

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Not just for acne, smooths and tones older skin too. Stubborn blackheads drying up and surfacing, smoother overall texture. I can't believe something this effective is affordable and readily available OTC.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Differin is a wild ride for sure. I used it when it was prescription many years ago, and at that time I had no real skincare routine other than washing my face to speak of, and on top of that I had no idea what the side effects were. It was a terrible experience, but it did clear my acne (in addition to drying my face out so badly that my skin occasionally cracked and bled.) I have continued to struggle with acne, and I am pretty much done with that BS now that I am in my 30s. Once I heard that Differin was becoming an OTC treatment I debated whether or not I'd give it another try since things that had previously been working well for me weren't anymore. I finally bought a small tube about three months ago and did a lot of research on how to prevent the nasty peeling and cracking while still getting an anti-acne benefit from this product. I learned through MUA and other avenues that buffering the gel by using something else underneath it helps to ease the irritation, especially on sensitive skin. I've also been piling on loads of additional moisture and using the gel on alternating nights up to about four times a week. It does still make my skin a little dry and peely, but nowhere nearly as bad as when I used it before. My acne still isn't 100% clear since I am neither using the product full strength directly on my skin and adding a ton of moisturizer/oil to help mitigate the intense dryness this causes, but I am definitely seeing an improvement in the texture of my skin, the appearance of deep pimples, and the healing time of existing pimples. It hasn't been a miracle, but again, I am not using it nearly as often as is recommended. The results are worth the time and the extra work, and I will continue using it this way until my acne has cleared sufficiently. Of course, your mileage may vary, but if you have sensitive skin and acne, I'd recommend this product if you do some research for buffering it and how to moisturize while still letting the product be effective.

on 11/8/2017 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i have been using 0.1 gel for 11days/still on week 2. no changes or improvement or break out yet. pores are still very clogged. im waiting for the purge to start. i was hoping it would start sooner because im not going anywhere this week. but sadly it dint start yet. i was starting to suspect adapalene dont work for me, because i didnt experience any dryness or flaking of skin.
i use it a few times few months ago with only a few applications and stop. it did burned a few spot that time and give me new whiteheads along my jaw. But this time round nothing happen at all i find it strange.
will continue to use it to see if it do anything and update here.

UPDATE: im on mid third week. more clogged pores. 2-3 clogged pores become inflamed and become a no head pimples. maybe this is the purging phase?

UPDATE: 4weeks, i have stop using it. it has no effect on me beside making my skin very oily. it dint get worse or any better. if it get worse i would assume its the purge phase but theres none.

on 10/27/2017 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started using this product in February of this year, used it for three months before stopping (I got a bit lazy to be honest) and have recently started using it again. If I'm honest, I purchased this product because I wanted to diminish some fine lines around my mouth and eyes. I realize there isn't sufficient research out there to market this as a wrinkle treatment, and that Retin A is much more effective for this purpose, but I don't have insurance, and have mild rosacea. Given how mild adapalene is supposed to be, I thought I'd give it a shot. I get a few hormonal pimples around my period but lately, I have also broken out terribly under my jaw line. Since I am prone to hyper pigmentation, the result of these breakouts are ugly, purple brown scars down one side of my jaw/neck area. I started applying Differin to my face and upper neck and was impressed by the results. I have fewer breakouts (and the few I do get heal quickly), has lightened my hyper pigmentation (30-40% better) and the larger pores on and around my nose are definitely smaller. I have also noticed the fine lines around my mouth are also much less noticeable. It hasn't done anything for the lines forming near my eyes, but then again, I haven't used this around my eyes since your aren't supposed to, oh well! It definitely works slowly, but it does work. I did experience some initial purging in February, but now that my skin is used to it, It seems as if I can stop and restart treatment without purging. It definitely made my skin flakey the first time around but it did not cause any additional redness or discomfort.

The way I use this is to apply a VERY small amount (pea sized) onto my ring finger and dab onto my cheeks, forehead, chin and nose before bed every other night. I then apply an even smaller amount to my jaw/neck area. It's a bit difficult to spread at first, but since I follow up with a very emollient moisturizer afterwards (DE Lala whipped) I'm confident the product is being evenly distributed. Lastly, since retinoids make your skin especially sensitive to the sun, be sure to use and reapply sunscreen everyday! Seriously, though, don't use this product if you're going to skimp on the sunscreen you'll end up making things worse. (I like Elta MD UV Elements). I will try to remember to update my review in six months time, I hope by then with continued use and sun protection, I'll have gotten rid of any remaining (or at least 80%) hyper pigmentation! Wish me luck!