Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.7

on 10/27/2017 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started using this product in February of this year, used it for three months before stopping (I got a bit lazy to be honest) and have recently started using it again. If I'm honest, I purchased this product because I wanted to diminish some fine lines around my mouth and eyes. I realize there isn't sufficient research out there to market this as a wrinkle treatment, and that Retin A is much more effective for this purpose, but I don't have insurance, and have mild rosacea. Given how mild adapalene is supposed to be, I thought I'd give it a shot. I get a few hormonal pimples around my period but lately, I have also broken out terribly under my jaw line. Since I am prone to hyper pigmentation, the result of these breakouts are ugly, purple brown scars down one side of my jaw/neck area. I started applying Differin to my face and upper neck and was impressed by the results. I have fewer breakouts (and the few I do get heal quickly), has lightened my hyper pigmentation (30-40% better) and the larger pores on and around my nose are definitely smaller. I have also noticed the fine lines around my mouth are also much less noticeable. It hasn't done anything for the lines forming near my eyes, but then again, I haven't used this around my eyes since your aren't supposed to, oh well! It definitely works slowly, but it does work. I did experience some initial purging in February, but now that my skin is used to it, It seems as if I can stop and restart treatment without purging. It definitely made my skin flakey the first time around but it did not cause any additional redness or discomfort.

The way I use this is to apply a VERY small amount (pea sized) onto my ring finger and dab onto my cheeks, forehead, chin and nose before bed every other night. I then apply an even smaller amount to my jaw/neck area. It's a bit difficult to spread at first, but since I follow up with a very emollient moisturizer afterwards (DE Lala whipped) I'm confident the product is being evenly distributed. Lastly, since retinoids make your skin especially sensitive to the sun, be sure to use and reapply sunscreen everyday! Seriously, though, don't use this product if you're going to skimp on the sunscreen you'll end up making things worse. (I like Elta MD UV Elements). I will try to remember to update my review in six months time, I hope by then with continued use and sun protection, I'll have gotten rid of any remaining (or at least 80%) hyper pigmentation! Wish me luck!

I was so excited to try this when it became over the counter. I try to buy it on sale or with a coupon which helps it to become reasonably priced for me. My skin had already been doing much better in the year prior to using differin but I do think this has helped clear the last 10% or so of my acne and helps to treat any pimples I get here and there. I use every other night and only experience dryness in the winter. I only wish this had a reputation for anti aging as well.

In combination with Vitamin C serum, Differin has totally changed my skin for the better. I've been on Spironolactone for the last 15 years to manage my hormonal acne, and that worked beautifully up until the beginning of this year. Out of nowhere (and without even starting new products!), my skin freaked out, and I started getting clogs and painful cystic acne in places where I've never before broken out. I tried all the usual things: washing my pillow cases every night, doing a very bland skincare routine, keeping my hands/hair/etc off of my face. Nothing helped.

Two months ago on Prime Day, Amazon had a lightening deal on 0.5 oz of Differin gel for $8.48. For that price, why not give it a try? I started out using it twice a week at night and using only a pea-sized amount for my entire face. After the first week, I went up to every-other night, which I did for the remainder of the first month. Since then, I've worked up to every night.

Even after two months, I probably have 3/4 of the tube still left. I use only the tiniest amount and dot it around my cheeks. It spreads easily and dries down quickly. I usually buffer it with my other facial products (2 drops squalane+3 drops Timeless hyaluronic acid), and this seems to help with irritation. I have a drastic decrease in the number of painful lesions, and my clogs are almost entirely gone. Differin definitely helps acne go away more quickly, and it also makes it easier to extract clogged pores.

I did have some initial purging, but I honestly expected much worse. Working up slowly to nightly application helped mitigate the flakiness and irritation that others experience. My skin continues to get clearer the longer I use it, but it does take a bit of patience to starts seeing results. I imagine that a lot of the negative reviews are from people who use it too frequently in the beginning and also don't give it enough time to start working. As with all skincare YMMV, but Differin is worth a shot if you have congested skin or hormonal acne (where Spiro or BCP aren't enough).

Will I repurchase? Absolutely!

on 7/12/2017 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

What a game changer! My skin looks incredible. I only wish this were made over the counter sooner! Would have saved my skin some fuss in my 20s. I had horrible horrible acne during my pregnancy, I didn't use this then as it's not recommended if you are pregnant or bf, but! This has dramatically cleared up residual hormonal (v stubborn cystic) acne and lightened all the hyperpigmentation left over from pregnancy. If you use this you need to drink LOTS of water though! It will make you less likely to peel. I started a few nights a week and then worked myself up to every other night (eventually rotating nights with The Ordinary's 5% lactic acid + HA serum 👌.) Love this! I buy it every time I see it on sale. Had the best luck with sale prices on Amazon ;).

on 11/4/2014 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Push yourself past he first 6 to 8 weeks of use. I have clear, dry skin and was prescribed this for its anti-aging benefits. The dryness and irritation subsided . My advice is learn how to use this product properly. Apply a tiny amount on clean dry skin and hold out on you moisturiser for a bit after applying. I have been using this for 3 years and, at nearly forty, I haven't a wrinkle in sight. My skin is smooth and bright and looks as good or better than it did 10 years ago. Wear sunscreen! I have used the cream as well and honestly find very little difference between the two. It Is simply a preference.

It's miracle cream!. It does make my skin a little dry, but nothing moisturizer can't fix. Highly recommend!!

WARNING: DO NOT WAX EYEBROWS WHILE USING THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Sorry for the all caps, but no one warned me, and now I have ugly red marks under my eyebrows where the skin was ripped/burned off. Google "differin eyebrow waxing" and you will see that many other people have had this problem. Differin thins the skin and can make it much more prone to damaging. Just wanted to warn you guys because I didn't see anything in any of the other reviews about this, and trust me, it is NOT attractive.

Now, on to the review. Basically, I love this stuff. I had been using OTC retinol (RoC) for about a year but felt that I had gone about as far as I could with it. I have some blackheads on my nose and small whiteheads on my chin that seem to always have been there. The occasional zit, but nothing major. Since starting the Differin two weeks ago, this is all clearing up beautifully. My skin is getting a lovely glow and wrinkles seem to be diminishing. I got this for the anti-aging benefits but love that it's clearing up my skin as well. I use only at night, but want to work up to 2x/day. There are some flaky spots as would be expected, but these went away after I had used the retinol for a few weeks and I expect that it will be the same with the differin.

I cleanse my face at night with CeraVe, wait about half an hour, apply the differin, wait another half hour, then apply vitamin E oil. I am LOVING this combo.

I chose this over retin-A/taz/etc. because it was the only retinoid product that my insurance (blue cross) would pay for for a person my age. To get the others, I would have to be 24 or under. Why I don't know, but for some reason they would spring for the differin, so that's what I asked my Dr for. It was $15 after my co-pay.

I think that because I had already used retinol, my skin was more used to it, and caused me to tolerate the differin very well. Just not on anything that I will be waxing!
EDIT: According to Paula Begoun, retinol/retinoids are NOT exfoliants. Yes, they speed up cellular turnover which is why people get the "flakies" with these products, but they do nothing to actually remove the flakies from the skin's surface. Since reading this, I have started using a mild salicylic acid lotion (CeraVe SA) to remove all the stuff that the Differin brings up. NOT at the same time (Differin at night, SA after work). I let the SA lotion set on my face for a bit and give myself a facial massage. All the dry bits literally roll off my skin in little pills (sorry to be gross) and I am left with baby smooth skin afterwards. I have found all mechanical exfoliants to be too harsh on my skin since using Differin.
BONUS: This seems to be removing my syringoma which everyone says only a dermatologist can do. YAY!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I was given this a long time ago by the derm when I was about 12, when my acne problem first started. I was turned off by the amount of patience that was supposedly needed to use this project. Fast forward, I'm 16 and still suffering from acne. About a month ago, I went back to the derm and was given this product once again. This time, I used it as intended. I'm more patient now. But actually, patience wasn't so necessary this time around. My skin is already clearer than it has ever been before, and I didn't even have to suffer a "purging" period.

But now, I still have to do something about this pesky hyperpigmentation. Grrr.

on 4/18/2011 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Has made such a huge difference in my skin! I started seeing results after a couple a weeks and my skin just continued to get better. It does dry my skin out a bit so I have to be diligent about moisturizing. I now feel confident enough to go without makeup and wear it for fun rather than necessity. My skin feels soft and smooth almost all the time. Although it is not perfect and I still get minor breakouts, they are so minimal compared to the constant state my skin used to be in. I am no longer ashamed to look in a mirror.
I use adapalene, the generic version, and a topical antibiotic gel. They are $10 each with insurance. Using a pea size amount every night, a tube lasts about 3 months. I realize now my skin care doesn't need to be expensive or labor intensive.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I love differin. My face used to be so horrible with breakouts all over my cheeks and forehead. I tried BP, tretinoin and oral antibiotics but they didn't have a lasting effect. Then my doctor prescribed me Differin 0.1% and I saw results after 1 week. My skin started to getting clear and all my whiteheads dried up. After a month or so, my skin looked so much better except there were a couple persistent red bumps here and there. Around the time of my period, I still broke out with red bumps but Differin kept it to a minmum.

I just finished using the tube, which lasted me about 6 months or so. I think after using it for awhile, my skin got used to it so I'm now on Differin 0.3% and I'm loving it.

So I won't be purchasing this again since I'm using a stronger version of it but Differin 0.1% helped me so much!!