Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

3.7

on 9/16/2007 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was prescribed Differin by my derm to clear some mild, non-inflamed acne (and occasional inflamed chin pimples). It made my skin 10x worse within the first two weeks. It gave me inflamed red bumps all over my chin, which never went away for the entire 2 months I was using Differin. I didn't start to improve until I went off Differin and started going to an esthetician who specializes in treating acne. I hated this stuff!!!!!

I used differin 0.1% on my whole face a few times only, so I can not comment on how well or bad it's working in general, I think it makes my skin very very oily and itchy, I wanted to comment that it does help to get read of developing pimples very fast, developing, those that sit underneath the skin, not erupted ones. It does not just dry out the pimple like other treatments do, and does not leave red dry spots (it will burn your skin and make things worse if you apply it to inflamed erupted/open zit, never do it, otherwise it will take weeks for one to heal), it kills bacteria from inside and reduces the redness. This is the best spot treatment ever (please note I am talking about a couple of zits, I do not suffer from persistent acne). Update. I believe you can get used to differin. I used finacea gel for a couple of months and ended up having the worst breakouts I have ever had in my life, differin and lower strength retinoids didn't help. 0.1% a-ret gel stopped inflammation and dried cysts out quickly. I still use differin on smaller pimples because it's not as harsh as retin. Good spot treatment for me (6m later).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

God I wish I had known about this sooner. I could have saved myself so much money, time, trouble and countless returns to Sephora. I have super oily, acne prone, sensitive skin. I have tried every blemish gel and treatment out there with the best being Dermadoctor's Acne Control Serum. I wasn't totally thrilled because I still got breakouts and hated that awful sheen like glaze that so many leave on your face (including Dermadoctor's which is still the best of all the OTC stuff I've ever tried).

I kept thinking is this the best I can do? There has to be something better and yet I was running out of options. There are only so many formulations you can try and the search was exhausting and expensive. I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide and cannot tolerate any Glycols. Salycylic Acid is nice but it wasn't enough to truly clear my skin and keep it clear. I have tried a few OTC Retinols, but was not all that impressed. I was so tired of the oil, acne and redness. I finally caved and went to see a dermatologist. She gave me a prescription for Differin Gel and I've been on it now a week. Can you say miracle! I was not expecting much after everything I've been through but holy cow this stuff rocks! Not only has it re-texturized my skin making my face look poreless but all my acne is truly gone and I have less than half the oil I'm used to having! She did tell me that I would notice a significant decrease in oil and that this is the best anti-aging product around but I had no idea that it worked this fast!

I love knowing that this is going to keep my acne finally under control but that it also has the added bonus of keeping me looking younger! If this is a dream please don't wake me! Yes it's super pricey depending on your insurance plan but when I consider all the gels. lotions and stuff I have bought in an effort to rescue my skin, this is well worth the cost! It doesn't sting, burn, smell or even bother my super sensitive skin at all! My search is finally over! I never thought I would say that for an acne product but this is the real deal here. Unbelievable product! I'm just knocking myself for not getting off my butt sooner and seeing a dermatologist!

VIP EDIT! It pains me to say this because Differin was like a miracle for me, however since I began using this on my face, I have had a very bad sunburn like rash on my neck and chest. I did a lot of research on this and found very little regarding this phenomena however I am living proof of this side effect. I didn't even put two and two together myself until very recently after having gone to three different physicians regarding this strange systemic looking rash. I never even thought of the Differin because the rash is on my neck and chest and I only apply the Differin to my face. After reading a message on a dermatology board from another user, I put two and two together and looked at the timing of the rash and how it coincided with my usage of this product. As soon as I stopped using Differin (last week in fact), the rash has mysteriously disappeared. I will never go near this product again. I have had this miserable itchy rash since June and I'm editing this in November! If this edit can help anyone else who may suddenly gets this type of rash, then it was worth editing this review. This creeped me out actually. Never again!!

I absolutely cannot live without this product. I have been using it for probably about 4 years, and will continue to use it until my dying day. My insurance covers it, thanks to my awesome dermatologist, but I would pay full price for it if I had to. The first few months were annoying, as the typical flakiness ocurred, but after the "adjusting" period, my skin is soft, smooth, and blemish free. If I do get a breakout its because I tried a different cosmetic or fell asleep (passed out) with a face full of makeup on. Simple packaging, you can squeeze every last desperate drop out if you want. Retin-A would be my second choice but it is a little bit harsher, as that was a staple for me in my younger, more acne-prone years.

on 11/23/2008 12:54:00 PM

My derm just reccomended this to me becauase my skin has been acting up a lot lately, and I already notice a major change after just 3 days!! My skin used to be very smooth with little problems. Dries my skin out a bit, so I can't use it more than once a day, or even once every other day. Def. reccommend.

on 1/20/2009 7:48:00 AM

I am reviewing for Differin Gel in 0.1% concentration. I used it for awhile a few years back but stopped because I didn't see any improvement in my skin. Then some months back, I went to see a different derm. and she said the reason Differin didn't work for me was because I wasn't using it correctly so I decided to give it another try under her supervision. I was very religious in applying it, and only saw an improvement in four months, but that improvement quickly deteriorated back to my previous condition in less than a week. The gel made the skin on my cheeks quite red and raw looking, like it was inflamed, rather than give me nice skin. When I stopped using it, the redness and inflammation died down and my skin returned to normal. From my own experience, the way for Differin to work better for sensitive skins like my is to use it for a couple days, and when the skin starts looking a little red and raw, stop for a couple days to let the skin recover. This cycle when practised regularly makes the skin appear clearer, rather than make it all inflamed when sensitive can't handle the product well with everyday regular usage. However, I must say that the improvement in my skin is not dramatic at all. My prior condition to using Differin was small blemishes cluttering all around my cheeks, and after using Differin for 6 months now, I can only say the small blemishes have cleared to a certain degree, and not completely cleared. I would really love to try another product as I no longer have much faith in this one, but my derm. told me this is the lightest and least irritating product she can prescribe, there's no other less invasive product for my sensitive skin, so I guess I would just stick with this for the time being till I finish the tube I have. I doubt I would want to get a prescription for a new tube again.

Made me break out when I started using it but does wonders when reducing a zit overnight! Plus I can easily wear it under makeup...thats one of my favorite things about this cause it is undetectable after my moisturizer....I feel like this is a much better choice than drying creams, benzyl peroxide and salycic acid because it goes to the root of the problem and actually recreates new skin cells..the only thing is it doesn't really do very much for acne red marks, which i why I use it for finacea ...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is very effective yet gentle.
I've been used differin about 2 months and it makes my skin smooth.
My acne disappear and now it's better.
Really love this product!!!!

on 9/26/2009 6:58:00 AM

I have battled acne ever since I was 13 or 14 yrs old. BCP and Differin keep the situation ok.

I just find it difficult to commit to using Differin as adviced: wash your face in the evening, then wait 20 mins untril your skin is totally dry. IŽd love to apply it straight after washing my face, but it might cause irritation. Sigh.

During the first few weeks of using this it caused flakiness on my nose.

Now, I must admit my skin is better and clogged pores smaller and fewer.

Give it 3 months at least before you judge it!

Will use this as long as necessary, into my olden age?

I used this in conjunction with minocycline and I have to say it did NOTHING! It just made my skin irritated, sore and oily but it did make it smooth so it gets one lippie for that.