Differin Gel

Filtered by age: 44-55
 Differin Gel

3.6

on 9/27/2013 9:15:00 AM

I have been having issues with large cystic acne on my chin for quite a number of years now. I had been using Benzoyl Peroxide or Rx Benzaclin and it seemed to help but it seemed to be getting worse. My derm prescribed Differin and I guess I was resistant to it because of the side effects such as irritation, flaking, etc. I finally tried it, and it seemed to take effect overnight, with no purging at all.

My cystic acne cleared up almost immediately! I couldn't get over it. I only use a small amount and I only apply it about twice a week. I am older so my acne was not horrible, but I was still getting several hard, painful, large bumps on my chin a week and now I no longer get those. So glad I started using Differin.

***Update 1/28/16*** Differin has stopped working for me. My derm has me on antibiotics for now, but after that, will need a new treatment plan.

on 5/7/2013 4:46:00 PM

I am 51 and menopausal. I have also started to suffer from Rosacea (due to the menopause) life is so much fun for us ladies!!!!!
12 months of the usual antibiotics, antibiotic cream and Finacea gel from my GP nothing was working.
I became quite depressed as my face was as bad as it was when I went through puberty.
I requested a referral to a dermatologist who prescribed Differin gel and Doxycycline antibiotics. He said that it was a very strong gel and should be started gradually i.e. every 3rd night for 1 week then every 2nd night and so on. This was to prevent a breakout and other skin problems that have been mentioned in previous posts.
I must say that gradual use did not give me any problems at all. It cleared my face up gradually and the antibiotics helped by preventing further breakouts. I still get the odd breakout but nothing compared to before. At least now I can go out without the full mask of makeup.
So for all you ladies out there trying this for the first time or giving it another go....this is a medication that needs to be gradually introduced to your skin, be patient and take your time your patience will be rewarded and you will look beautiful once again...

on 6/14/2010 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have been using retinoids for about 14 years - Retin A cream at first, then gel when it became available and Differin for the last 8 or 10 years. Although I am oily and acne-prone, I really regard Differin as my anti-aging treatment as I find Skinoren/ Finacea more helpful in preventing outbreaks than retinoids.

My skin had been used to AHAs before I tried retinoids and was fairly clear when I decided to experiment after having bought a tube of Retin A in a chemists in Ukraine. I was rather nervous, expecting my skin to errupt and go red - but virtually nothing happened, apart from a little flaking around my mouth during extremely cold weather. However, if I attemt to use retinoids on my neck I get a red, scaly rash. I
noticed a gradual improvement in the general condition of my skin and when I returned to the UK two years later everyone said how well I looked. I now use Differin because adapalene is the only retinoid available in Russia [11 if you shop around] and I like the gentle water based formula which I find light and non-clogging, but not so drying in the extreme winter weather as the Retin A gel. I generally don't moisturise afterwards, but I do sometimes dilute it with a syrum or oil in extremely cold, dry weather.

I am very happy with Differin, sunscreen [I have had to keep out of the sun since my mid twenties due to melasma ], facial gymnastics and a good diet as my anti-aging regime. It seems to work as most people are surprised on finding out my real age. I didn't find that retinoids particularly helped with melasma, I had the best results with Skinoren. Once I return to the UK and my supplies run out, I may try a stronger retinoid if I have to order online anyway.

Update 24/8/10: I have been using a Russian Isotretinoin 0.1% cream for 2 months and have noticed a definite improvement in my skin- both clogs and wrinkles. In future I will try to obtain either this Isotretinoin cream or order Retin A/generic online.

on 9/26/2009 6:58:00 AM

I have battled acne ever since I was 13 or 14 yrs old. BCP and Differin keep the situation ok.

I just find it difficult to commit to using Differin as adviced: wash your face in the evening, then wait 20 mins untril your skin is totally dry. Id love to apply it straight after washing my face, but it might cause irritation. Sigh.

During the first few weeks of using this it caused flakiness on my nose.

Now, I must admit my skin is better and clogged pores smaller and fewer.

Give it 3 months at least before you judge it!

Will use this as long as necessary, into my olden age?

on 9/15/2009 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have got this on prescription from my derm 3 months ago and till now it did nothing good for my acne.

I put it on my chin and neck at night, my acne is the worst on that area. After a few weeks I had the feeling it worked, my pimples became smaller and disappeared quicker, but after that it became worse again. Now I have 3 big cysts, that don't respond to the Differin.

The good thing is that my sensitive skin doesn't become irritated or dry, so I keep on using it for a while to see if the situation changes.

on 5/8/2009 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have used this off and on for the last couple of years. I think this would work for someone that has mild skin problems, which mine weren't. It did a good job and was not in the least bit irritating but wasn't strong enough for my cystic acne.

on 10/14/2007 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After 2 years of using this product I realized that I never reviewed it. My skin is super sensitive and I was concerned about using Differin gel. Generally I use it once a twice a week and a little more often in the summer months when I am oiler. It works great for my skin and helps keep it clearer and the pores look smaller. I do notice that my face looks red in the morning after using it but usually calms down. Just recently I learned on the boards about waiting before putting on moisturizer so that I don't dilute it and it works much better if I don't dilute it but I do get a little drier and more red. I just ordered my second container and am using it for maintenance. People talk about purging but I never noticed it happening to me. And I am using the .1 strength and now the is a .3. Since I am so sensitive, I will stick with the ..1