Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

2.6

on 11/4/2014 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Push yourself past he first 6 to 8 weeks of use. I have clear, dry skin and was prescribed this for its anti-aging benefits. The dryness and irritation subsided . My advice is learn how to use this product properly. Apply a tiny amount on clean dry skin and hold out on you moisturiser for a bit after applying. I have been using this for 3 years and, at nearly forty, I haven't a wrinkle in sight. My skin is smooth and bright and looks as good or better than it did 10 years ago. Wear sunscreen! I have used the cream as well and honestly find very little difference between the two. It Is simply a preference.

on 1/5/2013 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I've had persistent cystic acne on my chin for the last 7 years or so, and I really, really wanted this to work. Instead it's been like a bad relationship that I just can't quit. After 8 months of dedicated use, at best, it did not do much of anything (except cause these tiny clogs on the side of my face, so I started to apply to my chin only). But a few days ago, a planet started growing in the middle of my chin, and in my panic and desperation, I grabbed my Differin to give it yet another chance. I don't know what happened, maybe I applied too much, but by the next morning, the planet had spawned its own galaxy and taken over my entire chin. No joke, my chin and lower lip were so red and swollen that it actually hurt to talk. It's been two days now, and I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen to bring down the swelling, which has helped some, but wow. I think I'm finally breaking up with you for good, Differin. You and me are just no good.

WARNING: DO NOT WAX EYEBROWS WHILE USING THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Sorry for the all caps, but no one warned me, and now I have ugly red marks under my eyebrows where the skin was ripped/burned off. Google "differin eyebrow waxing" and you will see that many other people have had this problem. Differin thins the skin and can make it much more prone to damaging. Just wanted to warn you guys because I didn't see anything in any of the other reviews about this, and trust me, it is NOT attractive.

Now, on to the review. Basically, I love this stuff. I had been using OTC retinol (RoC) for about a year but felt that I had gone about as far as I could with it. I have some blackheads on my nose and small whiteheads on my chin that seem to always have been there. The occasional zit, but nothing major. Since starting the Differin two weeks ago, this is all clearing up beautifully. My skin is getting a lovely glow and wrinkles seem to be diminishing. I got this for the anti-aging benefits but love that it's clearing up my skin as well. I use only at night, but want to work up to 2x/day. There are some flaky spots as would be expected, but these went away after I had used the retinol for a few weeks and I expect that it will be the same with the differin.

I cleanse my face at night with CeraVe, wait about half an hour, apply the differin, wait another half hour, then apply vitamin E oil. I am LOVING this combo.

I chose this over retin-A/taz/etc. because it was the only retinoid product that my insurance (blue cross) would pay for for a person my age. To get the others, I would have to be 24 or under. Why I don't know, but for some reason they would spring for the differin, so that's what I asked my Dr for. It was $15 after my co-pay.

I think that because I had already used retinol, my skin was more used to it, and caused me to tolerate the differin very well. Just not on anything that I will be waxing!
EDIT: According to Paula Begoun, retinol/retinoids are NOT exfoliants. Yes, they speed up cellular turnover which is why people get the "flakies" with these products, but they do nothing to actually remove the flakies from the skin's surface. Since reading this, I have started using a mild salicylic acid lotion (CeraVe SA) to remove all the stuff that the Differin brings up. NOT at the same time (Differin at night, SA after work). I let the SA lotion set on my face for a bit and give myself a facial massage. All the dry bits literally roll off my skin in little pills (sorry to be gross) and I am left with baby smooth skin afterwards. I have found all mechanical exfoliants to be too harsh on my skin since using Differin.
BONUS: This seems to be removing my syringoma which everyone says only a dermatologist can do. YAY!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

God I wish I had known about this sooner. I could have saved myself so much money, time, trouble and countless returns to Sephora. I have super oily, acne prone, sensitive skin. I have tried every blemish gel and treatment out there with the best being Dermadoctor's Acne Control Serum. I wasn't totally thrilled because I still got breakouts and hated that awful sheen like glaze that so many leave on your face (including Dermadoctor's which is still the best of all the OTC stuff I've ever tried).

I kept thinking is this the best I can do? There has to be something better and yet I was running out of options. There are only so many formulations you can try and the search was exhausting and expensive. I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide and cannot tolerate any Glycols. Salycylic Acid is nice but it wasn't enough to truly clear my skin and keep it clear. I have tried a few OTC Retinols, but was not all that impressed. I was so tired of the oil, acne and redness. I finally caved and went to see a dermatologist. She gave me a prescription for Differin Gel and I've been on it now a week. Can you say miracle! I was not expecting much after everything I've been through but holy cow this stuff rocks! Not only has it re-texturized my skin making my face look poreless but all my acne is truly gone and I have less than half the oil I'm used to having! She did tell me that I would notice a significant decrease in oil and that this is the best anti-aging product around but I had no idea that it worked this fast!

I love knowing that this is going to keep my acne finally under control but that it also has the added bonus of keeping me looking younger! If this is a dream please don't wake me! Yes it's super pricey depending on your insurance plan but when I consider all the gels. lotions and stuff I have bought in an effort to rescue my skin, this is well worth the cost! It doesn't sting, burn, smell or even bother my super sensitive skin at all! My search is finally over! I never thought I would say that for an acne product but this is the real deal here. Unbelievable product! I'm just knocking myself for not getting off my butt sooner and seeing a dermatologist!

VIP EDIT! It pains me to say this because Differin was like a miracle for me, however since I began using this on my face, I have had a very bad sunburn like rash on my neck and chest. I did a lot of research on this and found very little regarding this phenomena however I am living proof of this side effect. I didn't even put two and two together myself until very recently after having gone to three different physicians regarding this strange systemic looking rash. I never even thought of the Differin because the rash is on my neck and chest and I only apply the Differin to my face. After reading a message on a dermatology board from another user, I put two and two together and looked at the timing of the rash and how it coincided with my usage of this product. As soon as I stopped using Differin (last week in fact), the rash has mysteriously disappeared. I will never go near this product again. I have had this miserable itchy rash since June and I'm editing this in November! If this edit can help anyone else who may suddenly gets this type of rash, then it was worth editing this review. This creeped me out actually. Never again!!

on 9/16/2007 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was prescribed Differin by my derm to clear some mild, non-inflamed acne (and occasional inflamed chin pimples). It made my skin 10x worse within the first two weeks. It gave me inflamed red bumps all over my chin, which never went away for the entire 2 months I was using Differin. I didn't start to improve until I went off Differin and started going to an esthetician who specializes in treating acne. I hated this stuff!!!!!