Differin Gel

Filtered by age: 36-43
 Differin Gel

3.8

I purchased this because I wanted to see if this would work for me instead of using retin a. I will say this works very well and on my skin is quite gentle. I have been using this for months daily at bedtime and am very happy with the results. My skin is clear and smooth. But I do still get hormonal spots that I sometimes have to use my retin a on. Reason being the Differin gel works but it's not as strong as retin a so it takes longer for spots to go away. I had a cluster of underground spots and it took months with the differin gel to finally clear it. In the end I did use some retin a to finally get rid of the acne spots I had. So I rated this 5 lippies because if you don't mind waiting and putting in the effort in time this does work.

But if you are still dealing with spots for quite a long time I find the retin a works better. Now granted one is now otc while the other is by RX. So I find now that I use them both but not at the same time. I use differin gel daily while I'll spot treat with the retin a when I have a spot that's taking forever to heal. The Differin gel though is an excellent product no doubt about it as both me and my sig other loves it. I use it on his spots too but he only needs it as a spot treatment. For me it comes down to speed and convenience if you have the patience to use this for the long haul it will work. But if you want speed and rapid exfoliation the retin a is the route to go.

I will continue to use differin gel everyday and that is the key with this you must stick with it. I find it very gentle and it's a great daily acne treatment. So to me this does work as long as I use this daily without fail. Also I do not peel at all with this whereas with the other I peel and that's something I really dislike. So for me I prefer the Differin but if I want anti aging use plus acne treatment the retin a is better hands down. So if you're looking for an acne treatment my advice with this is to just stick with it. Give it at least 8 solid weeks or longer. It does work and it does work well. Plus being able to get this otc I think is excellent and a great product for me. Also the fact that it's so gentle makes it a great product for my sensitive skin. Recommended.

on 3/26/2017 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was searching to add a little more to my skin regimen in regards to retinoid vs BHA as I already use a AHA at night. I was originally going to purchase Sunday Riley UFO for AM use as I love Luna. Then I noticed I can purchase Differin gel OTC. Adapelene is a retinoid that can be use in the AM as it is light stable. Also less likely to cause the skin irritation that Retin-A can cause. I use to use Retin-A in my college years.

After 1 month of use, I love how smooth my skin feels. I mix an equal portion of Differin along with my 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream (DIY epiduo!) and apply to my face every morning. I feel I makes my BP creme work better. My skin is very clear. Maybe an occasional pimple due to hormonal changes with that time of the month, but otherwise my skin has been perfect.

Cost wise I'm very happy, as my original choice was much more $$$. I purchased it at Sam's club, got 2 tubes for about 30 bucks.

I highly recommend to those struggling with mild to moderate acne and have plateaued with just BP treatments.

on 3/7/2017 10:59:00 PM

Purchased both the cleanser, and gel a little over one month ago. Initially started using both daily. Had a breakout, and severe dry skin within days. Took a break from both for one week. Recovered nicely. Began using cleanser again daily, gel every other day. I moisturize every day with YES to Tomatoes ( an Acne product you can buy at Target), and have not had any reaction to the Differin since I switched my routine.
I have oily, acne prone skin. I have textural issues on my lower cheeks and chin. I'm 42, Caucasian. I get occasional acne that seems to last forever, and will sometimes leave a mark although I do not pick or touch.
Since I've been on the differin routine, I have not experienced one breakout. My acne scars are fading. My pores have gotten smaller. My oil is under control, although not gone. My scarring just seems to be less noticeable. It feels like my skin is slowly turning over. I am that person who looks in the mirror in every different light, who doesn't date because they are afraid of getting caught in that "bad" light. I feel that in the next couple of months, this product could be the slow, but sure change for me. I will update.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was prescribed to use Differin Gel 0.01% to treat my mild-to-moderate acne, many years ago. I didn't find this product to be a miracle worker, and neither did it do anything to help with skrinking my pores either. It just isn't the best fit my skin, even though I didn't find it to be harsh on my skin all that much. It is honestly the least harsh acne medication that i have ever been prescribed, but at the same time not effective enough to keep keep my acne breakouts under control like i needed it to. Thank God i never had to pay for it, as i would receive boxes with lots of trial sized samples of it inside given to me. As, this stuff is very expensive, i did come to learn.

Also, i cannot speak on it being possibly anti-aging, because when i was prescribed it, i was quite young without any fine lines or wrinkles on my face at all. Plus, I, didn't end up using it that long anyways either.

on 11/4/2014 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Push yourself past he first 6 to 8 weeks of use. I have clear, dry skin and was prescribed this for its anti-aging benefits. The dryness and irritation subsided . My advice is learn how to use this product properly. Apply a tiny amount on clean dry skin and hold out on you moisturiser for a bit after applying. I have been using this for 3 years and, at nearly forty, I haven't a wrinkle in sight. My skin is smooth and bright and looks as good or better than it did 10 years ago. Wear sunscreen! I have used the cream as well and honestly find very little difference between the two. It Is simply a preference.

on 6/23/2014 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

TiyaFab please where did you get this product in Dubai and was it on prescription. Im visiting Dubai and desperately need this product. I tried a sample that my friend gave me and it has cleared my forehead. I need it to clear the other parts of my face. Would be ever so grateful if you respond.
Thanks so much...☺

Im 36 now and it got my first prescription at the age of 31.
I suffer from skin that keratinizes too much and therefore, my pores around my mouth and chin area clog easily.
Im nowhere near having a full acne, but my chin and jaw area looked quite bumpy, sometimes with red spots and I had underlying impurities.
I used it only a few months, but concentrated on my mouth and chin area, not using it on my whole face. At the same time, I used some erythromycin cream on my face. My spots dissappeared and my skin cleared up.
Theres a huge warning from my side: DO use a high spf sunscreen when you use this! Your skin may become thinner and more sensitive to sun exposure, so use at least spf 30 every day.
As I didnt want to use this in long term, I changed my skincare routine and eliminated comedogenic ingredients.
By finding a skincare regimen, that worked for me (took me years!) and knowing my skin, I reduced my breakouts to the unavoidable hormonal breakouts once a month.
But I returned to this just last year because I got a melasma on my upper lip.
My derm wanted me to use aha or bha, but that didnt work for my melasma. So I got the second prescription of differin gel at the age of 36.
Studies have proven, that retin-a works for melasma, but it takes 6 months at least for it to work. You have to be patient, but it improved my melasma in just a few weeks and I hope, it will eventually remove it completely in the next few months. Again, I used it only on a small area in my face, on my upper lip to target the melasma.
I didnt want to use hydroquinone or other treatments for my melasma and I was willing to use it every night for months in order to make it work. Treating a melasma is so difficult, but if your skin tolerates retin-a, you might try differin as a treatment.
Of course, I wear spf 50 every day to prevent my melasma from emerging once again and I avoid being in the sun with my face. I put on a hat and apply loads of sunscreen when I go to the beach.
So, the differin gel helped me with different skin issues and I really recommend this.
But I dont want to use this over years and years, because there certainly are side-effects. And there are people, who just cannot use this at all, because their skin doesnt tolerate the adapalene.
For me, its a concentrated treatment for serious skin issues, but definitely no long-term product.

on 1/5/2013 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I've had persistent cystic acne on my chin for the last 7 years or so, and I really, really wanted this to work. Instead it's been like a bad relationship that I just can't quit. After 8 months of dedicated use, at best, it did not do much of anything (except cause these tiny clogs on the side of my face, so I started to apply to my chin only). But a few days ago, a planet started growing in the middle of my chin, and in my panic and desperation, I grabbed my Differin to give it yet another chance. I don't know what happened, maybe I applied too much, but by the next morning, the planet had spawned its own galaxy and taken over my entire chin. No joke, my chin and lower lip were so red and swollen that it actually hurt to talk. It's been two days now, and I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen to bring down the swelling, which has helped some, but wow. I think I'm finally breaking up with you for good, Differin. You and me are just no good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I started on Differin .1, but quickly moved to .3, and I LOVE it!
I have combo/oily acne prone and sensitive skin, and this hasn't caused any irritation, almost no peeling either. I had occasional minor flaking (no one would have noticed but me) for the first few weeks and still occasionally around my hairline in the am. But, it is nothing a gentle morning face wash can't clean up. This stuff clears my skin so well! I had no purging, and I wasn't red either. It does make me super oily though. I have to Use blotting papers at least twice a day. But, my skin is looking almost flawless, so a little blot here and there isn't anything to complain about, especially when I hardly have to wear makeup now.
This is not the only thing I do for my skin, but it is a major contributor to my clear skin. amazing! (I have tried retinA micro, and that made my skin tight and itchy).

WARNING: DO NOT WAX EYEBROWS WHILE USING THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Sorry for the all caps, but no one warned me, and now I have ugly red marks under my eyebrows where the skin was ripped/burned off. Google "differin eyebrow waxing" and you will see that many other people have had this problem. Differin thins the skin and can make it much more prone to damaging. Just wanted to warn you guys because I didn't see anything in any of the other reviews about this, and trust me, it is NOT attractive.

Now, on to the review. Basically, I love this stuff. I had been using OTC retinol (RoC) for about a year but felt that I had gone about as far as I could with it. I have some blackheads on my nose and small whiteheads on my chin that seem to always have been there. The occasional zit, but nothing major. Since starting the Differin two weeks ago, this is all clearing up beautifully. My skin is getting a lovely glow and wrinkles seem to be diminishing. I got this for the anti-aging benefits but love that it's clearing up my skin as well. I use only at night, but want to work up to 2x/day. There are some flaky spots as would be expected, but these went away after I had used the retinol for a few weeks and I expect that it will be the same with the differin.

I cleanse my face at night with CeraVe, wait about half an hour, apply the differin, wait another half hour, then apply vitamin E oil. I am LOVING this combo.

I chose this over retin-A/taz/etc. because it was the only retinoid product that my insurance (blue cross) would pay for for a person my age. To get the others, I would have to be 24 or under. Why I don't know, but for some reason they would spring for the differin, so that's what I asked my Dr for. It was $15 after my co-pay.

I think that because I had already used retinol, my skin was more used to it, and caused me to tolerate the differin very well. Just not on anything that I will be waxing!
EDIT: According to Paula Begoun, retinol/retinoids are NOT exfoliants. Yes, they speed up cellular turnover which is why people get the "flakies" with these products, but they do nothing to actually remove the flakies from the skin's surface. Since reading this, I have started using a mild salicylic acid lotion (CeraVe SA) to remove all the stuff that the Differin brings up. NOT at the same time (Differin at night, SA after work). I let the SA lotion set on my face for a bit and give myself a facial massage. All the dry bits literally roll off my skin in little pills (sorry to be gross) and I am left with baby smooth skin afterwards. I have found all mechanical exfoliants to be too harsh on my skin since using Differin.
BONUS: This seems to be removing my syringoma which everyone says only a dermatologist can do. YAY!