Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Filtered by age: 25-29
 Differin Acne Treatment Gel

on 11/8/2017 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i have been using 0.1 gel for 11days/still on week 2. no changes or improvement or break out yet. pores are still very clogged. im waiting for the purge to start. i was hoping it would start sooner because im not going anywhere this week. but sadly it dint start yet. i was starting to suspect adapalene dont work for me, because i didnt experience any dryness or flaking of skin.
i use it a few times few months ago with only a few applications and stop. it did burned a few spot that time and give me new whiteheads along my jaw. But this time round nothing happen at all i find it strange.
will continue to use it to see if it do anything and update here.

UPDATE: im on mid third week. more clogged pores. 2-3 clogged pores become inflamed and become a no head pimples. maybe this is the purging phase?

UPDATE: 4weeks, i have stop using it. it has no effect on me beside making my skin very oily. it dint get worse or any better. if it get worse i would assume its the purge phase but theres none.

on 10/27/2017 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started using this product in February of this year, used it for three months before stopping (I got a bit lazy to be honest) and have recently started using it again. If I'm honest, I purchased this product because I wanted to diminish some fine lines around my mouth and eyes. I realize there isn't sufficient research out there to market this as a wrinkle treatment, and that Retin A is much more effective for this purpose, but I don't have insurance, and have mild rosacea. Given how mild adapalene is supposed to be, I thought I'd give it a shot. I get a few hormonal pimples around my period but lately, I have also broken out terribly under my jaw line. Since I am prone to hyper pigmentation, the result of these breakouts are ugly, purple brown scars down one side of my jaw/neck area. I started applying Differin to my face and upper neck and was impressed by the results. I have fewer breakouts (and the few I do get heal quickly), has lightened my hyper pigmentation (30-40% better) and the larger pores on and around my nose are definitely smaller. I have also noticed the fine lines around my mouth are also much less noticeable. It hasn't done anything for the lines forming near my eyes, but then again, I haven't used this around my eyes since your aren't supposed to, oh well! It definitely works slowly, but it does work. I did experience some initial purging in February, but now that my skin is used to it, It seems as if I can stop and restart treatment without purging. It definitely made my skin flakey the first time around but it did not cause any additional redness or discomfort.

The way I use this is to apply a VERY small amount (pea sized) onto my ring finger and dab onto my cheeks, forehead, chin and nose before bed every other night. I then apply an even smaller amount to my jaw/neck area. It's a bit difficult to spread at first, but since I follow up with a very emollient moisturizer afterwards (DE Lala whipped) I'm confident the product is being evenly distributed. Lastly, since retinoids make your skin especially sensitive to the sun, be sure to use and reapply sunscreen everyday! Seriously, though, don't use this product if you're going to skimp on the sunscreen you'll end up making things worse. (I like Elta MD UV Elements). I will try to remember to update my review in six months time, I hope by then with continued use and sun protection, I'll have gotten rid of any remaining (or at least 80%) hyper pigmentation! Wish me luck!

on 10/25/2017 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Such a game changer. I’m going on 28 and have been battling acne since the age of 12. This has dramatically reduced my redness, cystic acne around the jaw and hairline and helped smooth the overall appearance of my skin.

Pros, it doesn’t have a noticeable scent, or even that heinous, “scent free” chemical scent. It applies smoothly, the 0.5oz tube lasts a long time and it’s easy to get out of the tube.

Cons, it is expensive for an OTC acne treatment, it will dry out your skin and cause serious flaking if you jump right into using it. It’s still packaged like a medicated tube of acne medicine.

I would suggest starting out smoothing on a pea sized drop once or twice a week after applying moisturizer and then work your way up to every day if necessary. I still use moisturizer before applying, simply because my nose and my chin area can get very dry and even with moisturizing I have noticed dry patches in those areas.

on 8/24/2017 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It doesn't seem to be effective on active inflamed acne for me, but I'm hoping it will help with clogged pores. It helps peel. I've been using it for one month.

on 8/17/2017 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

So far (3 weeks) I notice this makes my skin smoother, more sensitive, and also makes breakouts come to the surface faster than usual. Not overnight or anything, but breakouts do come to a head faster.

Sadly, this does not prevent breakouts from cosmetics. If I put on a problematic powder, foundation, or sunscreen, I WILL get pimples from it as per usual.

The way I apply this is after moisturizer at night. I wash my face, put either Differin Balancing moisturizer or Vanicream Light lotion on damp skin, let that set/dry, and then I put on a layer of differin gel all over. After a minute or so I dab either PC 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide, or 10% BENZOYL peroxide Persagel. I far prefer the 10% as my face is a frigging mess of breakouts at the moment. I can tell its getting better though, which is at least a relief from the annoyance of getting wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and acne at the same time.

Using this makes my usual chemical sunscreens burn a little, but I still use them BECAUSE I tried switching to there different mineral sunscreens and they all caused me breakouts, setting me back in the improvements I was seeing with the aid of differin gel.

I plan on sticking with this for at least 3 months. Hopefully this works.

on 12/31/2016 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this here and there for quite some time and realized I never wrote a review for it. I credit chemical exfoliators for being a large component of: getting rid of my acne/keeping me clear, smoothing out my skin texture, and quickly fading any marks. It's something I've posted about on MUA a lot about over the years as my skin is a major issue in general.

The FDA recently lifted the ban on Adapalene being over-the-counter in the U.S. Adapalene is the active ingredient in Differin. It's a type of retinoid, not to be confused with Retin-A. Retin-A is tretinoin (another type of retinoid). Tretinoin is a lot stronger & won't likely be approved for over the counter sales anytime soon.

There's been a ton of debates on whether or not Differin can help with anti-aging. In my opinion, it can. There's a major misconception that it's useless for that purpose. Differin is marketed to help with acne. The reason they don't intend it for anti-aging purposes is because there hasn't been enough research for collagen production like there has with Retin A. The fact of the matter is adapelene is a retinoid, and retinoids are chemical exfoliators no matter how mild. Just keep in mind Retin-A is a lot stronger (and likely more effective).

I typically use Retin-A gel in the lowest strength (.025). Differin .1% adapalene is still milder, but I find it to be a nice alternative. Especially if I'm feeling like my skin's barrier is close to being compromised.

As already mentioned, this is a chemical exfoliator. Since it exfoliates off the top layer of skin you are more photo-sensitive. I can not stress enough how important it is to wear sunscreen if using this (even at night..even a week after stopping usage..). IT DOES NOT MATTER if the only sunlight you get is through windows or in the car. We call this "incidental exposure" on the skincare board. I myself never spend time in the sun. Regardless any natural light that hits you = UVA rays. UVA rays are damaging. In terms of anti-aging, sunscreen is even more important than using chemical exfoliators. I know those of you using this for acne purposes probably won't think that's a big deal but it goes beyond anti-aging. Protecting your barrier will help acne heal better.

If you find Differin to be too strong for you there are a few suggestions I'd like to include:
-Wait an hour after washing your face to apply
-Buffer with moisturizer
-Apply every other night (with Retin-A gel I apply once every 3 nights but with Differin I can apply almost every night...it's much more mild)

Last but not least, please only wear this at night. This goes back to the photo-sensitivity issue. I'd recommend giving Differin some time to work its magic for a couple of weeks before judging on it's effectiveness. Again this is quite mild, so it may take a while to really start exfoliating.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have used this 2 seperate times, both times it dried my skin out so badly I couldn't continue. I initially asked for this as it is supposed to be the mildest form of retinoid, however my skin was just too sensitive for it.

on 3/14/2016 2:18:00 PM

This is an amazing product that I have used on and off since the age of 13. I am 26 now. Initially it may make your skin red and peely, but if you push through that adjustment period, your skin will glow. I do think that it looses its effectiveness after a while so I take a few month break every couple of years or so and then it works again like magic. It is also amazing at preventing wrinkles and sun damage. I use this product in combination with many other natural products and oils and this is what works best for me. I have tried to eliminate the differin gel completely because it is not totally natural but i have found that my skin just doesn't look or feel the same without it. I have also tried other perscription retinoids but this one works the best for me. It is so gentle compared to other retinoids, yet highly effective. I have noticed that many girls my age are starting to get some minor wrinkles but my face is totally wrinkle free and I seriously think it is because I have used differin for so many years. Differin definitely helps to reduce acne and clogged pores but is not a miracle cure for acne. I have found that eating healthy (no fried foods, lots of fruits and veggies, lots of water, etc.), taking some skin boosting supplements, and staying active, along with the differin gel, keeps my acne at bay for the most part. Even after all these years, the .1% which I believe is the lowest strength, works best for my skin. I have tried stronger doses and they have just been really irratating. If you have minor to moderate acne or just want to prevent wrinkles, I highly suggest you talk to your derm about this medicine!

on 8/26/2015 11:29:00 PM

I've tried most of the major topical retinoids - tretinoin (retin-a), tazarotene (tazorac), and adapalene (differin). I initially used them for acne and now use them to prevent skin cancer and to help with photodamage (wrinkling and pigmentation problems).This is my favorite. Tretinoin and Tazarotene, while not making me a flaky mess, somehow cause constant low-grade irritation that often manifested as tiny pimples and ruddiness. This just keeps my skin clear, and has prevented sun-related pigmentation problems (I have more freckling on my neck where I didn't use retinoids when I was younger).

on 1/25/2015 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I think this works for people who perhaps really need it or have skin issues but I would not recommend it to someone with minor skin blemishes. I used this years ago when I was in high school. The following all happened while I was 17 years old. This experience has one major theme: irresponsibility!

1. I was seeking perfect skin when I really didn't have major issues and took my doctors advise without a second thought (irresponsible)
2. I noticed my skin was a flakey and sensitive and I continued use, hoping my doctors recommendation would in fact give me flawlessness (even more irresponsible).

The story: I didn't really have a lot of problems with my skin in high school - just the typical breakouts that any girl would have. My doctor recommended that I use this when I complained that my skin wasn't "up to standard" or whatever the hell I thought it should be at this age. She told me to use Differin.

Not only was it seemingly ineffective for me, but it made my skin feel sensitive, but...I wasn't sure. I did notice my skin was a bit dry and flakey but I was just thinking that the doctor said it would help and so I continued to use it. What is the worst that could happen? :)

After about 4 months of use, I went to get my eyebrows waxed as I normally did at the time. The woman applied wax, no big deal and tore it off. Pretty standard. After she ripped off one side, I felt like skin had come off. Being too scared to ask her wtf was going on and why it felt so unbearable I actually let her do the other side. I stood up, paid, walked out and cried all the way home. The wind hitting my face on the way home was too much to bear. The pain was absolutely terrible and I can manage physical pain!

When I got home, literally all of the skin above and below my eyebrows was gone. Missing. Not there. Pure red flesh. One of the most painful things ever. Not to mention the utter embarrassment!

Now, I get it could have totally been the wax and initially that is what I thought, too. After speculating, the wax was not hotter than usual, that woman had done my eyebrows a series of times and the only thing I had changed in my skin care routine was using Differin. I think it made my skin overly sensitive and ....really just weak. I had very resilient/ non sensitive skin prior to using the product.

This is just my experience. If you do not need to use a prescribed product, don't mess with it. I am happy this works for people that rely on it, but for me I do believe it changed my skin in a negative way. I waited three years to try waxing again, and a similar thing happened (with cold wax), I think the strength/ makeup of my skin had changed since using Differin. No big deal I just don't use it anymore.....................OR wax my eyebrows :)