Differin Gel

Filtered by age: 19-24
 Differin Gel

3.9

on 10/6/2017 10:19:00 AM

Okay, so I literally made an account just to write this review because the stuff is that good. I always had minimal acne in the past that would spike randomly but eventually die down. This year, I found out I have a thyroid disease, which totally screws up your hormones. My acne was out of control and I tried EVERYTHING. I started using Differin about 5 months ago and I rarely ever see a single zit. Not kidding. I think it's even faded my acne scars. I wanted to wait five months to write this because you can't trust reviews that are written after a few tries. Retinoids work slowly over time. I am the least patient person I know but I swear this stuff is GOLD. I mean, to be able to combat endocrine crash related acne?? That's good stuff. I washed my face with a simple cleanser, Castille Soap, and moisturizer with Garnier Moisture Bomb. They work well with the Differin if you're more oily prone. Your face might have more oil or it might dry out in the first two weeks, but after that everything evens out. Best of luck!!

on 9/17/2017 2:16:00 PM

I can truly say I think I've finally found the cure to my acne after years of misery and embarrassment. ANYONE who feels like they have tried everything besides accutane (which i refused to use), please give this a try. Obviously, its not an overnight thing, give it a few weeks! My acne would be cystic and painful, and would always reside under my cheekbones, and contouring my face would always be the worst part of my make up routine. The way the directed use with this stuff is has cut my skincare regimen in half. I cut out any salicylic acids/harsh products and just let the adapalene do it's job. I haven't seen my skin this clear since I was in high school, it honestly puts me all up in my feels how much my skin has improved. My skin is almost 100%! This stuff has allowed me to be able to start the process of evening out dark spots and scarring. I am so thankful for this product, and I'm begging you guys to give it a try! <3
side note:
1. STOP PICKING YOUR FACE!!!!! The dramatic improvement I saw from this product made me leave my face alone. I used to pop and pop and pick and pick and my skin would look angry, and my acne would swell. Whenever I pick my face now, I instantly regret it because my skin looked great until I started messing with it!!
2. Use an SPF with this stuff, your skin gets a bit sensitive to UV. I've began using Bareminerals Bareskin spf 20 for some protection.
3. Definitely use before bed! I put this stuff on after a good gentle cleansing and my witch hazel toner. Retinoids, for me, have always been so much more effective as a before bed product.
4. Try to cut out harsh drying products! This stuff has trained me to not over do it (I used to be so guilty of this) I use dermalogica gentle calming cleanser, I also did buy Differin's cleansing wash as well. I seldom use benzoyl peroxide products, maybe for the occasional mask or spot treatment, but my skin is loving the adapalene, that's really all it needs now.
Good luck everyone, I hope this stuff works miracles on you too! xoxo

**Updated 7/17 to account for PM routine changes**

I swear by this stuff. I'm using the OTC 0.1%.

To start out, here's my PM routine:
remove makeup and/or sunscreen (CVS brand eye makeup remover, and Kose's Softymo Speedy oil cleanser)
cleanse with Hada Labo Tokyo hydrating facial cleanser
wait about 10 minutes
apply pea size amount of Differin **EVERY OTHER DAY!** (on days that I don't use Differin, I apply the Kiku-Masamune High Moist Lotion)
wait at least 20 minutes
apply CeraVe's moisturizing cream AKA CeraVe in the tub, sometimes mixed with 2 drops of argan oil (I use the Trader Joe's brand)
and about once a month I use the Makeup Artist's Choice mandelic/salicylic acid peel. I do not use Differin on the day before, or after the peel. (example: no Differin Monday, do peel Tuesday, no Differin Wednesday, resume Thursday)
I also do sheet masks fairly frequently, but don't have any standout favorites. Whenever I use a sheet mask, I use it on a day I'm not using differin.

Now, for some background. I'm 23 and have dealt with acne since I was around 13, however it got much worse when I was around 17-18. I've tried what feels like everything, short of actually going to the doctor and getting a prescription. I'd say my acne is moderate, but definitely not severe. I never get deep, painful, cystic pimples. I would typically break out in fairly large pimples, sometimes clusters of pimples, that usually took about 2-3 weeks to fully go away. And of course by the time that breakout cleared up, I had another one waiting to surface. My breakouts occur mainly on my cheeks, with some here and there on my chin, and never on my forehead. Oh, and I ALWAYS scar.

I started using Differin on December 24, 2016. It's now May 11, 2017. So, I've been using it consistently for almost 5 months. I know you're supposed to build up your usage of this, however, I did not. I was using The Ordinary's advanced retinoid 2% before trying Differin, so my skin had already built up a bit of a tolerance. I was initially planning on slowly working my way into it, but when I didn't experience any redness or extreme dryness, I delved into using it every night. I have since quit using it every single night, and have switched to using it every other day, to help reduce dryness.

It's also worth noting that I'm still on my first tube, which is supposed to be a 3 month supply. Granted, I have skipped days here and there, but in total I've probably only skipped about 20.

I didn't purge with this at all, but it may be due to the fact that I was using the other retinoid beforehand. The only "side effect" I've had is flaking. When I first started using this, I was also using the corresponding cleanser and moisturizer. I didn't mind the cleanser, and used up almost the entire bottle, but it didn't foam and I prefer something that does...so I decided on the CeraVe foaming cleaser and love it. The moisturizer wasn't heavy enough for me at all. I was having tons of flaking, so decided I needed to find a different moisturizer. The CeraVe moisturizing cream cured that, but I often times still felt dry, so I added the argan oil in after 2 months.

As far as seeing progress, I noticed a difference in how my skin looked after about a month. I was breaking out less often, and my scars were fading. After almost 5 months of use, all of my pre-existing scars are almost completely gone. I know that may sound like slow progress, but it's progress that I've never had before. My pores look clearer, and my skin just looks more...radiant. As far as breaking out goes, I still get a pimple here and there (usually at the end of my period), but with the exception of one time (which is partly my fault*), I never break out in clusters of pimples anymore. Whenever I do get a pimple, it goes away quicker and does not leave as dark as a mark.

*The reasoning for why the cluster breakout is my fault, is that I picked. I had developed a pimple, and tried to pop it when it wasn't ready, which of course just irritated it even worse, and therefore caused more pimples...which I also picked at.

Another thing I've changed since starting Differin that has made a considerable difference is that I've started drinking more water. I've been drinking at least 60 oz a day, but typically around 75-80. I also quit drinking soda as often (used to drink it daily, now probably once a week), which I think has made a small difference.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing you must do while using Differin (or any retinoid or acid) is to WEAR SUNSCREEN!!! The one I'm currently using is the Missha All Around Safe Block Soft Finish Sun Milk SPF50+/PA+++ and really like it. If you're someone who hates sunscreen because they feel heavy and greasy, I definitely recommend looking into Asian sunscreens.

The packaging is great. No frills, not messy, easy to get every last bit out. The price is good for what it does. You can get a two pack of the large size and small size at Sam's for $30, and there's also coupons on their website.

So...I think I've covered everything?
In my experience, this is a fantastic product. Of course, this isn't going to be for everyone, but if you aren't having extreme discomfort or horrible "side effects" I recommend being patient and giving it the 3 months before you give up. You aren't going to see overnight results, and it may get worse before it gets better, but it's worth it in the long run.
To end things, my skin looks clearer and more radiant after these 5 months than it has in years, and I'm having less pimples and faster healing times. I actually feel comfortable going into public with no face makeup, which is huuuuge for me! I will never be without this product

on 4/26/2017 2:47:00 AM

Please note, no reviews should be even considered if they use the gel less than 8 weeks. Results may even take slightly longer. There is a purge, READ the documents included in the differin package, and FOLLOW them. In 5 weeks I noticed smoother skin, smaller pores, less blackheads, less redness (it's also an antinflammatory). Who needs highlighter when your skin is smooth and glowing. Give it a shot, but only if you can commit to a purge and at least 8 weeks of nightly application.

on 6/3/2016 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm on Differin 5 days. Used it 3 times, 2 days gap. At 4th day my skin started peeling a little and my mistake- started using it in summer. So Differin+sun=buuurn!!! It fu**ing burns. :DDD No redness. There is no new pimples by using gel only 3 times. Will continue treatment when it will be cloudy weather.

Update:
I'm using gel only once a week and it is more than enough for me. After 2 days skin starts drying and peeling. Can't use make up because of dry patches. Few times got red painful burns but Panthenol cream helps with this.
Pimples are nearly gone and scars are faiding.
Be really careful with sun exposure!!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

LIFE SAVER! Guys be patient. This does not work its miracle overnight. You just have to be patient. I'm already on my 12/13th week and already seeing results. My face definitely feels and looks smoother (some of my blackheads and clogged pores from using Physiogel Gentle Skin Cleanser are already gone), skin tone evened out and acne scars lightened. But make sure to use a good sunscreen before going out under the sun!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worked really well for fading acne scars and reducing its redness. My skin purged when I started using this but after a couple weeks I noticed a lot of improvements!

I am on my 2nd bottle of Differin because it's also great for improving texture, prevent wrinkles, and helps overall appearance of skin.

Fortunately, I am covered by insurance so I would definitely use again

I've been using Differin gel for only 4 nights and the difference its made has been amazing! My acne has faded about 70% as well as some previous scarring. It is drying, but I'll take using an exfoliant and a good moisturizer over acne any day!

on 10/4/2014 12:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Differin is a Vitamin A derivative, similar to Retin-A and other retinoids - it takes a long time to treat acne but once the initial phase of redness and irritation has stopped it is very effective, much more so than Benzoyl Peroxide which I'd say is a better short term treatment/spot treatment. I have been using it for 6 months now and my moderate/severe cystic acne and blackheads have gone completely. I have also noticed much smaller pores and diminished fine lines. If you can manage to get Differin at a reasonable price (my country it's subsidized to $5) then I would absolutely recommend it for people who are serious about getting rid of their acne.

on 9/19/2014 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is an amazing product ,it cleared up all my acne in one month and a half and now i rarely get breakouts I used to use it two times a day in the morning and at night and I didn't even use a face wash I just use a home made scrub two-three times a week but bare in mind that it needs some patience to see results and your skin will get drier but the results are worth it, plus it did leave me with scars so i stopped using it as often and just use it when i get pimples, and I started using acretin and now after 3 months and 9 days of using both deffrien and acretin my skin is just left with 30% scaring and I'll give it 1 more month for all the scaring to be gone :)