Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

4.1

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Pros

Inexpensive
Great for sensitive, acne-prone skin
medium/full coverage
Excellent staying power (10+ hours)
Great for mixing with more sheer foundations

Cons

Difficult to find perfect shade (luckily samples are inexpensive & generous)
Have to mix with Meow's Pampered Puss foundation for the most natural finish on the skin. By itself this foundation is too matte for my taste and can easily get too cakey

on 2/25/2014 11:49:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

YOOOOOOOO CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH HELL YEAH FOR THIS FOUNDATION

This is going to be a long-winded and somewhat rambly review because I feel like I need to add in as many details as possible, so if you make it to the end I will give you a cookie. Or if you don't like cookies, some steamed brocolli or something.

Im still on my sample baggie and have been using this for about a week now (just placed my order for the full size). Not the longest time to wait to review a foundation, but when Im trying something new on my face Ill know if its not going to jive with my skin and cause breakouts for me or any other such tom foolery annoyances within the first couple days.

For starters, my skin type is very oily, very VERY fair, sensitive, and I dont really get breakouts anymore but still the occasional threesome of blemishes popping up here and there. And I am just so sick of liquid and cream foundations. Settling into pores and lines, separating by mid-day, and even the ones that promise an eternal matte finish breaking out in a gosh dang oil spill after 4 hours no matter what primer or setting powder I tried. By the time I got home from work my foundation always just looked janky as hell, and my face just looked tired because of the foundation. And not to mention that it seems to be a universal thing in drugstore (and even high-end brand foundations) that everyone is either yellow or straight-up diaper rash pink.

I heard about this company after a google search for pale foundations and someone on some forum had mentioned the brand so I checked it out. And holy hellsecks they have a ton of foundation shades (86 if were being exact here) and a buttload of undertones (13) and depths (6) to choose from. Sample baggies are $1 each and please, dear lord have mercy PLEASE get samples before you order a full size. The lighter coverage formulations are a bit more forgiving but if you're getting the Flawless Feline, it needs to be a pretty dang exact match. You think youre one shade but it turns out youre something completely different. And, to be honest, I always brushed off mineral or other powder foundations because they just didnt make sense to me, I dont know why. I always just thought What? Powder? How is that going to give any coverage or even stay on your face? HOW WRONG AND FOOLISH I WAS, MON CHERI.

I got my sample shades all in the Inquisitive range, Flawless Feline version (well, duh, otherwise why would I be writing the review for the Flawless) because I love me a good full coverage foundation. And lemme tell you this - there are pretty much two types of pale skin: normal pale skin, and then translucent pale skin. The latter of the two is an absolute arse to try to match a foundation to because if it's not a perfect match, it's really hard to make that foundation work with your skin. Underneath the black hair dye I am a natural redhead with that translucent skin, but I have found my perfect match with this.

I use a smaller, somewhat dense kabuki brush to apply it and it just melts into the skin when youre buffing it on. Covers my redness, evens out skintone, and after the initial buffing I go back in with a bit more of the foundation to apply it to areas where I get extra red, like around the nose and mouth. After it settles for a few minutes it just looks so good. Also the coverage seems to go up after it's settled for a couple minutes, so give it a little time before going back in and putting more on. Does it look like youre wearing foundation? Well, yeah, because it makes the skin look pretty flawless, but it doesnt make you look like youre wearing foundation in a bad way (if that even makes sense). And it just looks like great skin, dare I say even somewhat airbrushed. You DO have to use a light hand though because apply too much and it won't look so pretty.

It doesn't feel heavy on the face. I was actually really surprised at how light it feels, I guess because I'm so used to "full coverage" meaning that heavy feeling on the skin. It really feels almost like I have nothing on my face.

On to the issue of oiliness - I use this with their Oily Skin Primer and it looks great all day. I put this on at around 8AM this morning, it's now 10:50PM, still lookin' good. A little sheen, but more of a..."skin" sheen rather than an oily sheen if you know what I mean. Doesn't look oily, just looks like natural skin, and the texture has stayed mostly the same as well.

After I take it off my skin still looks good, too. It doesn't look like it's been suffocating all day under a mask.

I also don't notice a smell with it when sticking my nose into the baggie.
-----------------------
If you got through this entire review, thanks for reading. I'm just so in love with this I can't help but ramble a little. After my full size jar comes, I plan on just tossing out my old foundations because I really have no desire to try anything else now. Not even a brand advertising a foundation using Tom Hanks riding a 3-headed camel with dragon wings into the sunset with wild promises of perfection could snag me in to try something.

I'll be uploading some photos tomorrow sometime of swatches, how it looks on the skin after applying, and also how it looks after most of the day.
-------------------------------
UPDATE 12/17/14

Still in love. Actually, I'm even more in love now. Previously I had gotten a full size of Inquisitive Manx, but I've since switched to Inquisitive Siamese (thank you, Black Friday sales!) Manx still works, and I can definitely mix it with Siamese, but Siamese is the absolute, 100%, completely matches shade for me. And also with their Black Friday sales I got their Jumbo Buffer brush, which applies it even more beautifully than any brush I was using before. This is going to be my foundation for life! I honestly haven't bought or tried another foundation at all since getting my first samples of Meow.

on 10/6/2013 8:14:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love Meow Cosmetics foundations! Flawless Feline is very full coverage and is very matte. After about 6 months of use (in combination with the OCM), my acne cleared up and I don't need full coverage anymore, so I've since switched to Pampered Puss (medium coverage) version. The price is great, lasts forever; only downside is finding the perfect shade when ordering online (you can get samples for $1 each, but I had to spend about $20 in samples to find a good shade for me). This has more coverage than the concealers they sell, so you may want to save $ by using this as concealer.

on 1/15/2013 11:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

at last a make up that doesnt irritate or clog my pores! i have searched and wasted so much time and money with other make up brands and finally my search is over! I do have to admit that it is quite a journey finding the right shade for yourself because there are so many choices.....all my live i thought i was a yellow skin type because it was always pink or yellow undertones....with this foundation i was able to find out i am a yellow neutral peachy kind of tone....haha! it took some mixing and matching and i finally found the combination for me is frisky siamese and naughty manx or ambyssian! the cat named foundation colors does get overwhelming at first but it is all worth it for clear skin! the only negative i would say is that if you apply this all crazy a huge powder cloud will have you all choked up....be careful not to constantly inhale this stuff...anyways...i wuld suggest for a mixture between the flawless feline and pampered puss for the perfect consistancy because the flawless feline alone might get a bit too powdery if not applyed just right.....and let me jsut say that all mineral make up is not the same!!! this was the only one that didnt break me out one bit....Everyday Minerals broke me out like crazy! All in all i really like this company and i hope they never go out of business because i dont want to ever have to look for make up good enough for my skin ever again

on 1/5/2013 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Update: I just wanted to add something. If you are a true Mac NC or C, none of Meow's shades are going to come close. Most of Meow's yellow based shades are unnatural. Abyssinian, Manx, and Angora are ridiculously yellow, and Chartreuse is extremely peachy. Korat will work well for some, but it has a lot of olive, so if you're not olivey, you may be out of luck finding a truly natural shade.

Many of Meow's shades in general are unnatural. I have a friend with peach skin, for example, who is fair but very rosy. Naughty Persian is a good shade for her, but there is simply no way anyone could be, say, an Independent Persian (the deepest version of Persian) without looking like their face is bleeding. There's just only so dark that peach gets on human skin. So even though they have a million shades, there are not that many that will work on real skin.

So if you're going for something as close as possible to Mac NC or C, you will need to mix. Mixes that have worked well for me are:

Manx and Siamese (or Mau)
Chartreux and Abyssinian

If you think of Meow makeup as a paintbox of mixing colors (as I do), it can be really fun, and you can adjust your look regularly with the weather or mood. Just realize you might have a hard time finding one perfect color.

Previous Review:
I have spent the past year trying to find the perfect shade and formula of mineral foundation. I tried just about everything and was largely unsatisfied. I started thinking it was just me, and either my skin was too messed up to ever look nice, even in foundation, OR i was just neurotic and needed to move on to more important matters in life. Well, I have to say that I'm very glad I stuck it through, because I've finally found the most exquisite mineral makeup. I should mention that I tried Meow a few months back, but I couldn't get the shade down, so I gave up. Something inside said I needed to give it another go, and I'm so glad I did. My perfect match is half Frisky Siamese and half Naughty Manx. And for me what works best is a mix of Pampered and Flawless formulas. Pampered is lovely, but it really is pretty light on coverage. Mixing the two gives me an amazingly natural, radiant coverage. Finding the right color is so, so important, but you may have to work at it for a while. It's time consuming and somewhat expensive to keep ordering more samples, but once you nail your shade, it feels like a miracle. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's literally changed my life and increased my overall sense of well-being. Every time I apply this, I am simply in awe. I never thought my skin could look like that. Now my biggest fear is that Meow will someday go out of business, and I'll be stuck without this!

There is one minor thing that bugs me about this line... The difference between the Frisky and Naughty shade depth is enormous. Other people have noted this too. I really wish they would remedy this, because I fall right between the two (as I'm sure many people do) and am unwilling to buy a third jar. Once you start mixing colors and formulations, and then need different depths for summer and winter, it can get really out of hand. There are ways to manage it though, and the payoff of having PERFECT foundation for your skin is worth the trouble to me. A good way to fix a too-light shade is to buy samples of the darkest shade (Independent), and add in small amounts. That way you're using almost pure pigment. You can do this with the same color, or you can add in other colors. You can even purposely buy a color in a slightly too light shade, so that you can alter the color with a second shade in Independent. I'm not doing this with my Siamese/Manx blend, because I also want the Pampered/Flawless blend, so I have to buy two jars anyway.

Anyway, this stuff is amazing... !!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Well, I'll tell you, after eight years as a Bare Escentuals loyalist, I've made the jump. This is just so much better! Flawless Feline gives me way better coverage, and Sleek Siamese matches my skin tone like no other foundation shade I've ever used. Plus, when you buy the large jar, it's the same price as BE, but you get twice the product. It sucks to have to wait for it to arrive in the mail, but that's a small quibble. This is just a much better product and deal all around.

on 2/6/2012 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

After realizing my beloved Chanel foundation and primer were the cause of my breakouts, I began the switch to mineral foundations. I heard good things about Meow, and I wish I tried them sooner! As I have acne scarring/pitting from my teenage years I needed something with full coverage, so I passed on Purrfect Puss. Pampered Puss is nice, but I needed to build it up to get the coverage I needed and it didn't control oil at all despite using the oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder with it. Flawless Feline is *perfect* for my needs, giving full coverage yet a natural look in one thin layer. Used together with Meow's oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder my face is flawless yet natural-looking all day long. When I *do* get oily my face is dewy, not shiny. I spritz my kabuki with rosewater during application and spritz my face when done, which is probably why I'm not getting the dry, cakey look others have mentioned. I also use a HA serum and camellia oil for my moisturizer, so I imagine that if your face were bone-dry FF may not work for you. There *is* a bit of tightness when first applied (probably from the kaolin clay) but this dissipates quickly. I did have to take a lippy off as there's a major leap between Meow's medium and medium-deep shades (the 3-5 range).

On another note, I'm unsure as to why this foundation is getting such a low rating. I can understand any allergic reactions and drying effects, but those complaining about the color matching and shipping IMO need to chill and be patient. Meow is a small indie company, not a huge international conglomerate like MAC. If you want instant gratification, this isn't where you should be looking. If you want to support a small company with great products and value for the cost, you can't get much better than Meow. As for the color matching, it's easy to figure out if you're willing to be patient, do your research, and ask for help.

EDIT 5/9/12: Had to knock another lippy off and change my re-buy status to "no". My skin's gotten a lot better so I don't need as much coverage, and with the weather getting warmer FF was making my face itch and sting like crazy. Switched to Pampered Puss and I'm perfectly happy. I did find a perfect match in PP without mixing, Slinky Manx.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I got a sample of Flawless Feline in Inquisitive Chausie. First off, I have very pale skin, and drugstore makeup is always too dark for me. But this stuff was waaaay too light. Even for a pale redhead like me! Also, this stuff sunk right into my pores. Yuck, not a good look. It also made me itchy. Not pleasant. Also, the coverage was pretty pathetic, even after 2 layers. Luckily, I didn't break out, but it didn't do anything for my skin. Which sucks, because I was really excited and had high hopes for Meow. :(

EDIT: It also made the skin around my eyes turn kind of pink and of course, itch.

on 6/9/2009 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

After sampling literally dozens of mmu, I settled on Flawless Feline in Frisky. I love this mu. It is so finely milled and such a good match, I can do a featherlight swipe with my brush if I feel casual. And if I want a more finished, polished look, I add a layer or two. No need to buff (which always irritated my skin, even with the fluffiest brushes). Finding your exact match can be quite an adventure as there are so many colors and levels, but it's well worth it in the end. And Jen is always there to help.. Not one of the cheapest mmu around but so much cheaper than HE and the amounts are generous. And they have loads of sales. I'm hoping this is a keeper for a long time because I looked so long and hard for it.