Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

4.1

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Flawless Feline in Fierce Abyssinian is the best match I've ever found in a foundation (and I've tried A LOT). I'm South Asian-descent, NC40ish, with cool yellow olive beige undertones and I'm very muted. This can be a little too olive/yellow if built up too much, but worn with a big Kabuki brush (E.L.F.), on top of the Sephora Gel concealer for spots that need better coverage, it's absolutely perfect. Abyssinian is such a gorgeous true yellow-beige shade. The finish is so natural, no sparkle, nothing. It start out matte but lasts into a natural dew by the end of the day. I'm really oily, so I also set this with a rice powder/kaolin clay mix I DIY. After like 12 hours tho the foundation starts to break down (but that's lasting a p darn long time).

I don't think this is total full coverage the way I wear it, but there was a point in time when I did wear this full coverage. I went through the Munchkin size too quickly doing this, but it's still possible. I recommend using the E.L.F. flat top powder brush, spraying it with Fix+ or water, then stippling the powder on -- not blending. You don't really need to buff this on unlike other powder foundations tbh. When I'd do this, I'd use Fierce Manx as a corrector for PIH (it's very yellow with some peach, close dupe for Nars Stromboli but less peachy actually). And you can get a pretty natural-finish full coverage beat look. But again, the FF can also be worn pretty sheerly so it's very flexible. It also plays well with cream/liquid concealers and blushes! And best of all, it doesn't break out my super acne-prone skin. This does, however, require a good base to work well. I use a Japanese sunscreen milk that's quite siliconey, but back when I just put this on top of regular moisturizer, it wouldn't "stick" to my face. Mineral makeup has a learning curve, and this is no exception. Brushes, base products, and application technique are all extremely important for making this work.

The only thing is, color inconsistency. This has me pissed because I love this so much. First time I tried the Fierce Abyssinian sample, it was great. I order it in the munchkin size, but it's much more saturated, green, and yellow than I recall. I mix some Korat and Siamese in Naughty to tone it down but it just ends up a bit too warm. Still workable, I finish it off and order a full size of the Abyssinian, and it's the exact color of the sample from the first go! I was excited but also mad, like, why.....does it have to be inconsistent. That's my main gripe with this. The full size will last me a while, but the whole thing got me feeling some type of way. And I'm not the only one who's had this experience.

All in all, HG to the moon, despite this.

on 4/6/2017 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't know why it is, but I had the *hardest* time trying to find information for a shade that would match me. I searched high and low on the interwebs and read pretty much every review here, there and everywhere before making my decision and it just seemed that since others didn't easily find a match either, they just refused to say anything about their Meow shade vs their MAC shade so that everyone would have to go through the same nightmare. Ok, I'm being dramatic. There might not even be a hint of truth to that... But it was super hard to get info, even on the Meow messageboards (back in the day they were active). Currently the messageboard is inactive but word is you can still get some info on their Facebook page. I haven't tried but have at 'er.

My first attempt was way too dark. I got 5 - Slinky Abyssinian. Doh!! I was stubborn and didn't want to spend the $ on samples, cuz, well.. I'm stubborn. Either way I was probably out the same amount of $. I assumed that the online swatches were probably skewed and that since minerals often look darker than they apply, went darker than I should have. Lesson learned. Now I have a HUGE jar of... eyeshadow. Or contour. I'm stubborn so I'll find a use for it at some point. My next order was more successful. I went up (ilghter) a few shades and got 3 - Naughty Abyssinian and although it looks weirdly darker and more olivey than my usual mineral foundation (a mix of shades from theconservatorie.com which is sadly fell off the grid), it's amazingly similar when applied to my skin. It's a hair less peachy/pink but otherwise very close. Matches me purrrdy good. I can sometimes have a bit of redness so the yellow/olive tone seems to cancel that out. Even though I got the Flawless Feline, I don't find this to feel like a heavy coverage. It's nicely buildable and not cakey at all. I'm normal/combo and have a preference for matte, so I like that this keeps me pretty much shine free for most of the day. I might touch up once mid-day but that's it. I use a flat top kabuki whose name has sadly rubbed off, or it's a no name one from theconservatorie.com - see above - off the grid. Pity...

I'd actually bought this a few years ago, but when I got it and saw the shade in person, I assumed it was too yellowy/grey/green to work and put it with my other unloved things that I couldn't bear to toss just yet (because it might work with something else should I have a 'mad scientist' day). Recently I was digging through my stash - gotta shop that stash - pulled it out and gave it a go, and good thing too. I am also considering trying a sample of Manx. Even though Naughty Abyssinian is *so* close, Manx has a bit more peach to it and mixing the two might be near nirvana. I'm stubborn...and a perfectionist... and there are a few eye shadows I'm eyeing anyways. For the record, I've also tried a sample of 4-Fierce Chartreaux but that one was both too dark and too pink. (Whoo, more eyeshadow!)
So use my disappointments to your advantage. If you're in the range of NC30-35ish, give Naughty Abyssinian a shot, or at least try a sample. Unless you're open to a huge jar of eye shadow.

Pardon me now while I get to work on my collection of Slinky Abyssinian eye shadows. I'll call them "Res-purrection from the Abyss".. or "Abysmal Failure to Fur-tune". Abysseeing you later...

on 2/27/2017 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i'm an oily-skinned 30-something who's tried for years to find a perfect powder foundation, but there's a trifecta of issues i encounter: color-matching (pale yellow is always too yellow or peachy, pale neutrals are too peachy or pink, and pale cools are WAY too pink), acne (living that "everything is a breakout trigger" life), and oxidization (SO ORANGE. ORANGE FOREVER).

after a couple weeks of flawless feline, i'm 92% sure i've found my endgame powder. admittedly, winter is the least challenging season for foundations and summer is going to be the real gauntlet, but considering its biggest flaw right now is that it's TOO good at oil control, i have a feeling it's going to handle the heat gracefully.

pros:

- color match! meow cosmetics offers something like 13 different undertones, with 4-7 shades per undertone. if you're a difficult undertone match in mainstream foundation lines, chances are good you're likely to at least come close to a good match here. i found my match in korat, a neutral beige without any hint of pink or peachiness, with a bit of extra yellow, something i've never been able to find anywhere else.

- no oxidization! normally most foundations go orange on me; some will be stopped by primer, but a lot won't. with this, i don't even have to prep or prime, it just straight up doesn't oxidize no matter how long i leave it on. no more uncomfortable orange face!

- oil control! honestly, i feel a little TOO dry at the end of the day. where i might be shiny in 6 hours with a normal powder, i'm just at the "healthy glow" stage around the 10 hour mark with meow.

- the finish, especially over a thin layer of liquid foundation, is amazing. i've been using it as a setting powder over one pump of revlon colorstay, and it's the first time i've been able to achieve actual full coverage without looking cakey or like i'm wearing a papier mache mask.

neutral:

- the packaging is really inelegant, but that's sort of expected when you're shopping with an indie company who can't afford to do a 100,000 piece run of bespoke glass jars. you're paying a little more than drugstore price for packaging that's a little worse, but keep in mind you're ALSO paying a little more than drugstore price for a product that competes with mid/high-end. if you're really concerned about aesthetics, depot into your favorite container and pretend it just came that way the whole time.

- i can think of a lot of more descriptive but less kind words to use for the website, so for the sake of the review, i'll go with "hot mess." the website is a hot mess. again, i totally understand why an indie would be hesitant to take down a site that functions without issues and lose money in the time it takes to switch to a newer, prettier platform, but it is a pain to navigate.

- my sample order arrived within a few days, but it took about a week for them to ship out my second order containing a munchkin size of korat plus some blush and highlighter samples. this is pretty much par for the course when you shop with indies (i've had to wait a month with some companies), but if you've never shopped indie before, you're going to get agitated. this ain't no amazon prime. meow cosmetics clearly states their turnaround time on their customer service page, and i found my orders took less time to get to me than the stated TAT both times.

cons:

- very slightly itchy if you use it on your bare skin. it doesn't cause me physical skin irritation and the sensation goes away pretty quickly, but if you're sensitive to face-feels or tend to develop rashes from irritation, you might want to stay away. however, i've had zero problems or itchiness just using it as a setting powder over liquid, so keep that in mind.

- if you're as blemishy and blotchy and unevenly skintoned as me, you know that any powder foundation that advertises as full coverage is going to be light-medium at absolute best. it's the same thing here: if you use this powder on its own and you want full coverage, you're going to have to layer it multiple tones, which is going to start to look noticeably powder after two layers. if you're looking for medium coverage, you're good to go, but if you're buying full coverage for actual full coverage, you're going to want to layer this over your liquid.

caveats:

- ORDER SAMPLES. order samples if you aren't already matched to a meow color and order samples if you aren't sure of your coverage. color matches do NOT carry over to other coverages, so if you're a perfect 5 mau in full coverage and decide you want to switch, you are going to be SOL if you order a full size jar of 5 mau in light coverage and discover it doesn't match. they don't take returns and they aren't as willing to bend over backwards like other indies, so don't expect to get your money back if you order a mismatch and sheepishly ask for a refund.

- this goes double for darker skinned women! meow tends to jump shades for darker skintones, so order a sample in the shade you think you are, plus one step lighter and one step darker. you may very well have to mix shades in order to get the right color for you.

on 1/25/2016 1:42:00 PM

I have been using the Pampered Puss foundation (medium coverage) and love it but wanted to try the Flawless Feline for more coverage. I wear Frisky Siamese in the PP and ordered the same shade for FF. I'm not sure if it's because it's a denser formulation, but the shade looks significantly lighter in FF compared to PP. It's not the perfect match that Pampered Puss was for me, but I can make it work with some bronzer and a layer of PP over the FF (sorry about all the abbreviations haha). So that's something to be aware of when ordering! It's also slightly more expensive than the PP, but still a good value.

Aside from that, I am loving Flawless Feline as well. I use just a tiny bit on my brush and buff pretty intensely and it spreads very finely over my skin, melting into oblivion and covering very well by the time I'm through. If you want to take it to 100% full coverage, it will definitely look slightly patchy and powdery, but this light application - followed by a layer of the Pampered Puss and a smidge of their Top Cat finishing powder - creates a very even, satiny complexion for me with great oil control that lasts all day.

I've had zero breakouts from Meow products. I'm not a natural makeup junkie by any means but I really appreciate that I can look at the ingredients list and accurately gauge that nothing will irritate my skin. I also love that I don't NEED to double cleanse to get this stuff off at the end of the day, even though it has great longevity!

on 3/23/2015 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've been a long time user of Meow's Purrfect Puss foundation but lately I've been searching for a full coverage foundation and decided to try Flawless Feline. OMG, this is the BEST! I ordered the same shade I was in PP and it was perfect. I apply it with the elf powder brush and I get the full coverage I need. I don't even need a separate concealer. I couldn't believe the quick full coverage I got by this one product plus it gives a natural flawless finish. Doesn't look cakey, shiney or accentuates my large pores. I love it!

on 7/21/2014 10:19:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Two layers of this applied with a flat top powder brush and I almost have full coverage, I feel confident wearing this alone. Alright oil control (not the best but still decent) and no breakouts. I just don't like the loose powder form but it's worth the sacrifice seeing as I don't need to reapply during the day and of course the colour selection is extraordinary for pale skin. I wear The 0 Siamese shade.

on 5/6/2014 7:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

If you're looking for full coverage then this is NOT it! I spent over $30 just on samples hoping to find that most perfect match that every woman seems to want. I fall between 2 Frisky Siamese (a little too pink on me) and 1 Sleek Sphynx (looked white on my skin when swatched).
Now maybe I could look past actually not being able to find my perfect color match, but the fact that you have to spend $10 or more on your purchase in order for your purchase to be processed and samples are $1 per bag, which are skimpy and not much product imo-(So many other companies such as Lucy Minerals offer generous samples) BUT- this product is a horrible misrepresentation of what the product itself is suppose to be: FULL COVERAGE!! It's not full coverage at all! And the lack of customer service, about 2 weeks to process my order, waiting and checking my email constantly to see when my order shipped was annoying. I understand this is a small Indie company but at least a heads up to the customer saying your order may take 2 weeks to process would be appreciated.

I have been searching for my HG in the mineral makeup world for some time now and Meow is the one company I seem to be fuming about the most because of all the money I wasted in samples alone and was still not able to find a perfect match even though Meow offers 36 colors to the fairest of skin tones to the darkest of skin tones. And yet me, who is light skinned, not fair, with very slight yellow undertones, not dominate pink or peach and maybe a tad neutral or warm toned could not find a color match. Sigh. You'd think with all the color selection someone like me would be able to find a match but nope, wasn't able to. I even swatched the samples several times on my face just be sure.
I've tried Bare Minerals (HATE!! And offers no coverage), EDM (ok, offers more coverage than Meow but not the kind of coverage I desire), Lucy Minerals (LOVE! But not an exact perfect match), Aromaleigh (way too chalky!) and other brands that I can't remember off the top of my head but my bathroom is full of samples, the grave site of laid to rest of samples I have tried and hated (other than Lucy Minerals).
I had such high expectations of this mineral foundation and I'm severely disappointed in the lack of coverage and the inability to find a match for my skin even though there's 36 colors to choose from. Today I applied my EDM in the color Ivory (an almost perfect match) and was able to get full coverage with just a tiny amount of product used.
(I LOVE Lucy Minerals, it's definitely full coverage but I get REALLY shiny as time goes on and I don't have oily skin but I do have combination skin, with a few breakouts and some acne scarring and I have not been able to find that perfect skin match that I'm craving. Pale Olive and Light seem to be the best color matches for me but not perfect.) Lucy is what I will be comparing all the other brands I sample to from now on because I have never been able to find a full coverage foundation until I tried Lucy Minerals. Maybe that's why my expectations weren't met from Meow?
I'm not planning on throwing away my samples, I might try tinkering around with them again just to see if I can get the coverage I'm craving but I'm doubtful. And I refuse to mix 2 colors together considering that there are 36 colors available so I SHOULD be able to find a match
I will be sampling foundation from Signature Minerals next and hopefully will find that perfect color match from them with the full coverage I desire.
I had high expectations for this because of the reviews on here. I'm so disappointed :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been an Everyday Minerals (EDM) customer for years. After I ran out of my last full size (about 6 months ago), I've been trying dozens of other foundations to find the *perfect* one. I tried a bunch of liquid foundations, which look and smell like paint to me now. I like the applications and the ingredients of mineral foundations. Somehow I found out about Meow Cosmetics and decided to give it a shot. I can't help but compare Meow to EDM in this review.

Everyone talks about the cheap $1 samples, but you need a minimum order of $10 and they charge you $4.35 for shipping. That means you are paying $14.35 for SAMPLES. Compare that to EDM which charges you nothing for the samples and $2-3 for shipping.

I used Meow's color help service and they suggested Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat in the 0 and 1 depth. I skipped over the 0 depth entirely and managed to get 1 depth ("Sleek") in Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat, plus 2 depth ("Frisky") Korat from somone in a swap. I wasn't even able to assess Abyssinian becasue it was so light, almost white. It would have looked ghoastly. Korat seems to be a decent match, but I'm between Sleek and Frisky in depth. I'm not willing to buy 2 right now, so I ordered a full size of Frisky Korat in the Pampered forumla and hope for the best! I placed my order 10 days ago and I haven't received it yet, nor have I gotten confirmation of shipping. I realize that I purchased it during a sale but I think it's not unreasonable to expect to get the things you ordered within a week. I've since run out of my Korat samples and went on to Siamese while I wait, and I'm surprised how nice it looks as a full application. Many people are saying that if you want Flawless you need an exact match. I think even with Flawless, there are probably a few matches which would look good on you. Siamese seems to be the one that gets recommended to everyone to at least try.

I find that the Flawless formula is not very heavy, but kind of a medium coverage. It seems to disappear into my skin, which makes me feel that this is more of a powder than a foundation.

I took a photo of myself with EDM and it looked very obvious on my skin, thick, powdery, and a bit yellow. In general, EDM has an awful color selection (although they did introduce a new color organization scheme yesterday) - disorganized, extreme colors (some were very pink, extremely yellow, or gray). Meow organizes the colors in a way that makes sense and offers 86 colors in 3 formulas, plus pure white in case you need it. After I compared it to a photo of myself wearing Meow, I decided to go with Meow. It looked very natural on my skin (BUT it doesn't seem to cover as much either).

The things I prefer about EDM: the website, fast shipping, the price of samples
The things I prefer about Meow: the number of colors, true color matches, and the finish.
If only these two companies could merge and combine the best of both worlds...!

Meow also does not have a return policy, which troubles me. I have never EVER returned a cosmetic for any reason. If I don't like it, I live with it. But the fact that they don't even have that option is strange. Slow, slow processing time. Excessively priced samples. And a website which could do with some modernization and a professional graphic designer. Nevertheless, this seems to be a quality product, with skin-friendly ingredients, a large color selection, and reasonably priced for full-sized products. I could see myself becoming a regular customer.

on 2/2/2014 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried samples from this site once before, and I wasn't really blown away with their foundation. My purpose of my first order was to get some of the -amazing- blushes after seeing beautiful swatches online. I got some face samples - just because.

My second time around, I figured I would give these a better shot. My tried and true foundation never really matched me, and I was tried of mixing to get my shade every single day. I needed something easier.

Firstly, their foundation charts are INSANE, in a good way! There are even foundation matches based from other brands, so transitioning is easier. Along with the detailed descriptions given, I pretty much had my shade from my first order! I love that your color has a shade range, so you can go lighter, or darker with ease. No more mixing (hopefully!). This site has the best shade range I've seen anywhere, in stores or online. I've also never had a foundation that actually matched ME before. I'm blown away by this! I'm neutral, leaning yellow, and Frisky Siamese is just right. Why did I gave up on this in my first order?!

For me, this has build-able coverage. Major acne scarring will not be covered up with one layer (at least mine won't). This has nothing to do with quality issues. I've used MM for years, from several brands, and layering for coverage has always been a must.
Layering is pretty easy, though, and it leaves out the need for concealer. I never feel like I have a heavy face, even after hours of wear. M

I also use dense kabuki brushes. The Eco Tools retractable (retracting it in can make this super dense when I need it), and the Eco Tools Bronzing Dome brush are both great. If you're looking for super full coverage, a dense brush is a must as well.

I do set with a pressed powder, or cornstarch, and this lasts until I wash it off. All day long! I've used this for about a week, and I'm sold.

My samples came in baggies, which are annoying, but cheap and functional - so whatever. The big jars look adorable on the site, so I will comment when mine comes!

There is a $10 minimum you have to spend on the site when you place an order. With a small company, I understand the need for that, but be warned. There is also a commit to order prompt that you must agree to, stating no changes can be made once the order goes through. I'm not sure why this policy is in place either, but the three times I have ordered, I've never encountered an issue.

on 11/5/2013 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Meow's Flawless Feline is a very good, medium-to-full coverage loose powder foundation without bismuth and is therefore unlikely to cause skin irritation. It's comes in 86 shades; samples are available for $1 each to help you find your best shade. After a lot of trial and error, I found my shade in Frisky Sphynx (NW20). The powder adheres well to my angled kabuki, does not puff back at me, and provides a gorgeous, natural finish. After applying the rest of my makeup, I spray with a tiny bit of Fix+. With setting powder (Meow's Equilibrium Balancing Powder all over and MAC's blot powder on my forehead) I get through most of my day with a lovely finish and a few dabs of blotting paper around my nose at lunch. The foundation is not undetectable; you will look like you're wearing something on your face, but the ability to match your skin tone exactly means you'll look like a polished version of your best self.

With so many shades over three depths of coverage, it can be daunting to find your shade. If you're a bit of a perfectionist, patient, and realize that samples are a necessary evil, you should be able to find your perfect match. This is not an instant-gratification process but it's been worth it to me.

A warning about Meow's customer service policies, which you are asked to read before placing an order: there are no returns, exchanges, credits, or amendments to orders. Once you press that "pay" key, you're committed. I found this out the hard way. I'd be happier with friendlier customer service policies, but the excellence of the product speaks for itself. Meow is generous with gift samples and the purchased samples, while small (1/4 tsp), are sufficient to let you make a decision about the shades. Although I love the powder itself, the lack of a twisty lid over the inner powder sifter is annoying and, along with the customer service policies, is why I deducted one lippy from my overall rating.

Update: it is now September, 2017, and I am still using and loving my Meow Flawless Feline Foundation. If possible, I'm happier than ever with it! It continues to function beautifully, wear all day and be quick and super-easy to apply. I've re-ordered from the company and was happy with my purchases. I'm upping my rating to five lippies as this has passed into HG status. The best mineral makeup ever for: colour match, ease of application, longevity, coverage and value.