Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

3.8

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Flawless Feline in Fierce Abyssinian is the best match I've ever found in a foundation (and I've tried A LOT). I'm South Asian-descent, NC40ish, with cool yellow olive beige undertones and I'm very muted. This can be a little too olive/yellow if built up too much, but worn with a big Kabuki brush (E.L.F.), on top of the Sephora Gel concealer for spots that need better coverage, it's absolutely perfect. Abyssinian is such a gorgeous true yellow-beige shade. The finish is so natural, no sparkle, nothing. It start out matte but lasts into a natural dew by the end of the day. I'm really oily, so I also set this with a rice powder/kaolin clay mix I DIY. After like 12 hours tho the foundation starts to break down (but that's lasting a p darn long time).

I don't think this is total full coverage the way I wear it, but there was a point in time when I did wear this full coverage. I went through the Munchkin size too quickly doing this, but it's still possible. I recommend using the E.L.F. flat top powder brush, spraying it with Fix+ or water, then stippling the powder on -- not blending. You don't really need to buff this on unlike other powder foundations tbh. When I'd do this, I'd use Fierce Manx as a corrector for PIH (it's very yellow with some peach, close dupe for Nars Stromboli but less peachy actually). And you can get a pretty natural-finish full coverage beat look. But again, the FF can also be worn pretty sheerly so it's very flexible. It also plays well with cream/liquid concealers and blushes! And best of all, it doesn't break out my super acne-prone skin. This does, however, require a good base to work well. I use a Japanese sunscreen milk that's quite siliconey, but back when I just put this on top of regular moisturizer, it wouldn't "stick" to my face. Mineral makeup has a learning curve, and this is no exception. Brushes, base products, and application technique are all extremely important for making this work.

The only thing is, color inconsistency. This has me pissed because I love this so much. First time I tried the Fierce Abyssinian sample, it was great. I order it in the munchkin size, but it's much more saturated, green, and yellow than I recall. I mix some Korat and Siamese in Naughty to tone it down but it just ends up a bit too warm. Still workable, I finish it off and order a full size of the Abyssinian, and it's the exact color of the sample from the first go! I was excited but also mad, like, why.....does it have to be inconsistent. That's my main gripe with this. The full size will last me a while, but the whole thing got me feeling some type of way. And I'm not the only one who's had this experience.

All in all, HG to the moon, despite this.

on 2/27/2017 1:07:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i'm an oily-skinned 30-something who's tried for years to find a perfect powder foundation, but there's a trifecta of issues i encounter: color-matching (pale yellow is always too yellow or peachy, pale neutrals are too peachy or pink, and pale cools are WAY too pink), acne (living that "everything is a breakout trigger" life), and oxidization (SO ORANGE. ORANGE FOREVER).

after a couple weeks of flawless feline, i'm 92% sure i've found my endgame powder. admittedly, winter is the least challenging season for foundations and summer is going to be the real gauntlet, but considering its biggest flaw right now is that it's TOO good at oil control, i have a feeling it's going to handle the heat gracefully.

pros:

- color match! meow cosmetics offers something like 13 different undertones, with 4-7 shades per undertone. if you're a difficult undertone match in mainstream foundation lines, chances are good you're likely to at least come close to a good match here. i found my match in korat, a neutral beige without any hint of pink or peachiness, with a bit of extra yellow, something i've never been able to find anywhere else.

- no oxidization! normally most foundations go orange on me; some will be stopped by primer, but a lot won't. with this, i don't even have to prep or prime, it just straight up doesn't oxidize no matter how long i leave it on. no more uncomfortable orange face!

- oil control! honestly, i feel a little TOO dry at the end of the day. where i might be shiny in 6 hours with a normal powder, i'm just at the "healthy glow" stage around the 10 hour mark with meow.

- the finish, especially over a thin layer of liquid foundation, is amazing. i've been using it as a setting powder over one pump of revlon colorstay, and it's the first time i've been able to achieve actual full coverage without looking cakey or like i'm wearing a papier mache mask.

neutral:

- the packaging is really inelegant, but that's sort of expected when you're shopping with an indie company who can't afford to do a 100,000 piece run of bespoke glass jars. you're paying a little more than drugstore price for packaging that's a little worse, but keep in mind you're ALSO paying a little more than drugstore price for a product that competes with mid/high-end. if you're really concerned about aesthetics, depot into your favorite container and pretend it just came that way the whole time.

- i can think of a lot of more descriptive but less kind words to use for the website, so for the sake of the review, i'll go with "hot mess." the website is a hot mess. again, i totally understand why an indie would be hesitant to take down a site that functions without issues and lose money in the time it takes to switch to a newer, prettier platform, but it is a pain to navigate.

- my sample order arrived within a few days, but it took about a week for them to ship out my second order containing a munchkin size of korat plus some blush and highlighter samples. this is pretty much par for the course when you shop with indies (i've had to wait a month with some companies), but if you've never shopped indie before, you're going to get agitated. this ain't no amazon prime. meow cosmetics clearly states their turnaround time on their customer service page, and i found my orders took less time to get to me than the stated TAT both times.

cons:

- very slightly itchy if you use it on your bare skin. it doesn't cause me physical skin irritation and the sensation goes away pretty quickly, but if you're sensitive to face-feels or tend to develop rashes from irritation, you might want to stay away. however, i've had zero problems or itchiness just using it as a setting powder over liquid, so keep that in mind.

- if you're as blemishy and blotchy and unevenly skintoned as me, you know that any powder foundation that advertises as full coverage is going to be light-medium at absolute best. it's the same thing here: if you use this powder on its own and you want full coverage, you're going to have to layer it multiple tones, which is going to start to look noticeably powder after two layers. if you're looking for medium coverage, you're good to go, but if you're buying full coverage for actual full coverage, you're going to want to layer this over your liquid.

caveats:

- ORDER SAMPLES. order samples if you aren't already matched to a meow color and order samples if you aren't sure of your coverage. color matches do NOT carry over to other coverages, so if you're a perfect 5 mau in full coverage and decide you want to switch, you are going to be SOL if you order a full size jar of 5 mau in light coverage and discover it doesn't match. they don't take returns and they aren't as willing to bend over backwards like other indies, so don't expect to get your money back if you order a mismatch and sheepishly ask for a refund.

- this goes double for darker skinned women! meow tends to jump shades for darker skintones, so order a sample in the shade you think you are, plus one step lighter and one step darker. you may very well have to mix shades in order to get the right color for you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Not really a fan of this or the company.

It took the company 7 days to fulfill my order. They also require a $10 minimum purchase in addition to charging quite a bit on shipping- more than they actually need to spend to ship an item.
Their samples were kind of chintzy. I have used Alima in the past and they will give you mini pots, but Meow just puts them in ziploc baggies. It seems petty but it affects how messy and functional the product is. I tried the flawless version of the foundation and found it really powdery. Believe me, there are mineral powders out there that melt into your skin. Much of it has to do with the milling process of the foundation. The finish on this left me powdery, with no coverage, and it clung to my dry skin.
Also, regarding the milling process. I know that Meow sells these 3 oz, mega jars of foundation. I am sure they are less expensive than other brands, but because the foundation is not finally milled you will use much more to get the coverage of a higher quality foundation.

I was on the hunt for a cruelty-free, mineral, medium to full coverage foundation. As a former bare minerals matte user, I was ready to try something more cost effective. The 3 oz jar from Meow is $40 (it's HUGE) vs. the 0.2 oz jar from BE for $28.50. That's a massive savings!

I chose Flawless Feline to get the most coverage. It applies smoothly and wears well throughout the day. I can get pretty full coverage from this if I layer it, but I tend to use it with concealer on problem areas. I am not about the powdery look, so all I do is set with a finishing spray and it really melds everything into my skin. I also like how this foundation works on top of a pore filling primer (when I use them together, my pores are basically invisible). Basically, if you've ever liked a mineral foundation, you will love this!

The biggest drawback to that is that you must order samples from Meow to find your color (10 bucks and a few more for shipping). But, the color range is massive and caters to humans of all colors and undertones! It's a bit of a process and a waiting game to finally get your color match. But still...think how much you'll be saving not having to buy a new jar from BE every month!

The other drawbacks are slightly petty. The packaging is not going to look sleek on your vanity as it has a big cartoon cat on it. The huge powder jar does have a sifter, but not nearly as awesome as the BE twisty caps. My solution for you is to simply refill your old BE sifter jars with your new Meow foundation.

You can also feel good purchasing from a made in the USA, cruelty-free indie brand.

on 3/23/2015 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've been a long time user of Meow's Purrfect Puss foundation but lately I've been searching for a full coverage foundation and decided to try Flawless Feline. OMG, this is the BEST! I ordered the same shade I was in PP and it was perfect. I apply it with the elf powder brush and I get the full coverage I need. I don't even need a separate concealer. I couldn't believe the quick full coverage I got by this one product plus it gives a natural flawless finish. Doesn't look cakey, shiney or accentuates my large pores. I love it!

on 2/23/2015 2:35:00 PM

I live in the UK and have tried every foundation and every bb cream. My skin is very oily with terrible acne in the past. I use the same brand primer and top coat for the past 3 or 4 months. I find this is the only foundation that has not broken me out and reduces how oily I am. I'm not looking for my scars to be covered, my main aim is not to add more acne. As this has not broken me out this is fine, I only need to blot once and that's only for special occasions and not as much as before. I can go to bed and when I wash there is makeup to remove, previously all my foundation's would be long gone by 1pm, mainly on my phone. Yes I can look a bit chalky for the first 30 mins after I apply but then my skin looks fine. If I reapply for a special occasion and want to go straight out I just either mist with toner or put my clean, warm palms on my face to help it settle more quickly. The match of the colour is amazing and worth the effort of ordering the samples. If you have acne made worse by foundations I can't recommend this enough, first time I've felt like I'm using a foundation that makes my skin better not worse. I've used Liz Earl, Channel, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Bare Minerals and Laura Gellar to name but a few, none stuck and some really aggravate my skin. If I really wanted to their concealer does cover my red old scars but they don't bother me enough to bother.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been an Everyday Minerals (EDM) customer for years. After I ran out of my last full size (about 6 months ago), I've been trying dozens of other foundations to find the *perfect* one. I tried a bunch of liquid foundations, which look and smell like paint to me now. I like the applications and the ingredients of mineral foundations. Somehow I found out about Meow Cosmetics and decided to give it a shot. I can't help but compare Meow to EDM in this review.

Everyone talks about the cheap $1 samples, but you need a minimum order of $10 and they charge you $4.35 for shipping. That means you are paying $14.35 for SAMPLES. Compare that to EDM which charges you nothing for the samples and $2-3 for shipping.

I used Meow's color help service and they suggested Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat in the 0 and 1 depth. I skipped over the 0 depth entirely and managed to get 1 depth ("Sleek") in Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat, plus 2 depth ("Frisky") Korat from somone in a swap. I wasn't even able to assess Abyssinian becasue it was so light, almost white. It would have looked ghoastly. Korat seems to be a decent match, but I'm between Sleek and Frisky in depth. I'm not willing to buy 2 right now, so I ordered a full size of Frisky Korat in the Pampered forumla and hope for the best! I placed my order 10 days ago and I haven't received it yet, nor have I gotten confirmation of shipping. I realize that I purchased it during a sale but I think it's not unreasonable to expect to get the things you ordered within a week. I've since run out of my Korat samples and went on to Siamese while I wait, and I'm surprised how nice it looks as a full application. Many people are saying that if you want Flawless you need an exact match. I think even with Flawless, there are probably a few matches which would look good on you. Siamese seems to be the one that gets recommended to everyone to at least try.

I find that the Flawless formula is not very heavy, but kind of a medium coverage. It seems to disappear into my skin, which makes me feel that this is more of a powder than a foundation.

I took a photo of myself with EDM and it looked very obvious on my skin, thick, powdery, and a bit yellow. In general, EDM has an awful color selection (although they did introduce a new color organization scheme yesterday) - disorganized, extreme colors (some were very pink, extremely yellow, or gray). Meow organizes the colors in a way that makes sense and offers 86 colors in 3 formulas, plus pure white in case you need it. After I compared it to a photo of myself wearing Meow, I decided to go with Meow. It looked very natural on my skin (BUT it doesn't seem to cover as much either).

The things I prefer about EDM: the website, fast shipping, the price of samples
The things I prefer about Meow: the number of colors, true color matches, and the finish.
If only these two companies could merge and combine the best of both worlds...!

Meow also does not have a return policy, which troubles me. I have never EVER returned a cosmetic for any reason. If I don't like it, I live with it. But the fact that they don't even have that option is strange. Slow, slow processing time. Excessively priced samples. And a website which could do with some modernization and a professional graphic designer. Nevertheless, this seems to be a quality product, with skin-friendly ingredients, a large color selection, and reasonably priced for full-sized products. I could see myself becoming a regular customer.

on 2/2/2014 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried samples from this site once before, and I wasn't really blown away with their foundation. My purpose of my first order was to get some of the -amazing- blushes after seeing beautiful swatches online. I got some face samples - just because.

My second time around, I figured I would give these a better shot. My tried and true foundation never really matched me, and I was tried of mixing to get my shade every single day. I needed something easier.

Firstly, their foundation charts are INSANE, in a good way! There are even foundation matches based from other brands, so transitioning is easier. Along with the detailed descriptions given, I pretty much had my shade from my first order! I love that your color has a shade range, so you can go lighter, or darker with ease. No more mixing (hopefully!). This site has the best shade range I've seen anywhere, in stores or online. I've also never had a foundation that actually matched ME before. I'm blown away by this! I'm neutral, leaning yellow, and Frisky Siamese is just right. Why did I gave up on this in my first order?!

For me, this has build-able coverage. Major acne scarring will not be covered up with one layer (at least mine won't). This has nothing to do with quality issues. I've used MM for years, from several brands, and layering for coverage has always been a must.
Layering is pretty easy, though, and it leaves out the need for concealer. I never feel like I have a heavy face, even after hours of wear. M

I also use dense kabuki brushes. The Eco Tools retractable (retracting it in can make this super dense when I need it), and the Eco Tools Bronzing Dome brush are both great. If you're looking for super full coverage, a dense brush is a must as well.

I do set with a pressed powder, or cornstarch, and this lasts until I wash it off. All day long! I've used this for about a week, and I'm sold.

My samples came in baggies, which are annoying, but cheap and functional - so whatever. The big jars look adorable on the site, so I will comment when mine comes!

There is a $10 minimum you have to spend on the site when you place an order. With a small company, I understand the need for that, but be warned. There is also a commit to order prompt that you must agree to, stating no changes can be made once the order goes through. I'm not sure why this policy is in place either, but the three times I have ordered, I've never encountered an issue.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been using Meow since Aromaleigh went out of business awhile back. I tried all three formulas, but Flawless Feline seems best suited to my skin. I like medium to full coverage, and if my skin is behaving, FF delivers. I've been struggling with hormonal acne since going off the pill, and this definitely doesn't contribute to my skin problems. In fact, it probably saved my skin because wearing heavy liquid foundation every day to hide my hideousness wasn't letting my skin breathe. Even though this doesn't cover every little blemish/scar, it does make my skin look decent enough that I'm not insecure about it. I also love the it can hold up the extremes of my skin. I have normal to dry skin in the winter, and oily to really oily skin in the summer. One of the biggest perks I've found is their amazing range of shades! I'm fair but really yellow, and Meow has given me the best color match so far (I use Naughty Angora). I've been through one of their munchkin sizes, and after using it up, I repurchased but in the full size. I love how affordable Meow is! I've been using the full size since July 2012, and I have more than half left after using it every single day. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is my HG, but because it works for me and is affordable, I don't really have the desire to look for anything else.

I absolutely love Meow Cosmetics! Their shipping takes a long time (over 2 weeks for me and I don't live very far away) but I can forgive that because they're a small company-- 5 women I think-- and they personally check every order. Plus they give free samples-- one of mine was a blush that I love! Anyway, flawless feline does have good coverage, but you have to make sure you have the right shade. For Pampered Puss, my personal Meow favorite, I can wear four or five different shades because it bends so beautifully. FF, not so much. It is easy to apply though, and doesn't leave a line of foundation demarcation. Oily skin control is not quite as good as I would have hoped (not as good as PP), but its not as bad as it could be, either. I do wish the sifter was like Bare Minerals, because you cant stop the product from coming into the lid when its not sitting flat. I took it with me in my bag, and when I went to open it, foundation everywhere! The huge lid is great, though. I got the munchkin size, about $16, which is really not a bad deal. It'll last a long time, and their ingredients are about as good as it gets. It did look a bit shimmery-- mica?-- but its not noticeable at all on the face. Overall, good product! It didn't break me out, has great staying power, covers well, and will last a long time! I saw some reviews that said it made their face itchy or looked cakey. In my experience it wont look cakey as long as you don't apply too much, and it wasn't itchy for me at all. I said I would buy again, because it is a good product. Still, I may try some PP mixed with concealer next time, just because of the shade matching and staying power.