Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

3.4

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Pros

Inexpensive
Great for sensitive, acne-prone skin
medium/full coverage
Excellent staying power (10+ hours)
Great for mixing with more sheer foundations

Cons

Difficult to find perfect shade (luckily samples are inexpensive & generous)
Have to mix with Meow's Pampered Puss foundation for the most natural finish on the skin. By itself this foundation is too matte for my taste and can easily get too cakey

on 2/27/2017 1:07:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i'm an oily-skinned 30-something who's tried for years to find a perfect powder foundation, but there's a trifecta of issues i encounter: color-matching (pale yellow is always too yellow or peachy, pale neutrals are too peachy or pink, and pale cools are WAY too pink), acne (living that "everything is a breakout trigger" life), and oxidization (SO ORANGE. ORANGE FOREVER).

after a couple weeks of flawless feline, i'm 92% sure i've found my endgame powder. admittedly, winter is the least challenging season for foundations and summer is going to be the real gauntlet, but considering its biggest flaw right now is that it's TOO good at oil control, i have a feeling it's going to handle the heat gracefully.

pros:

- color match! meow cosmetics offers something like 13 different undertones, with 4-7 shades per undertone. if you're a difficult undertone match in mainstream foundation lines, chances are good you're likely to at least come close to a good match here. i found my match in korat, a neutral beige without any hint of pink or peachiness, with a bit of extra yellow, something i've never been able to find anywhere else.

- no oxidization! normally most foundations go orange on me; some will be stopped by primer, but a lot won't. with this, i don't even have to prep or prime, it just straight up doesn't oxidize no matter how long i leave it on. no more uncomfortable orange face!

- oil control! honestly, i feel a little TOO dry at the end of the day. where i might be shiny in 6 hours with a normal powder, i'm just at the "healthy glow" stage around the 10 hour mark with meow.

- the finish, especially over a thin layer of liquid foundation, is amazing. i've been using it as a setting powder over one pump of revlon colorstay, and it's the first time i've been able to achieve actual full coverage without looking cakey or like i'm wearing a papier mache mask.

neutral:

- the packaging is really inelegant, but that's sort of expected when you're shopping with an indie company who can't afford to do a 100,000 piece run of bespoke glass jars. you're paying a little more than drugstore price for packaging that's a little worse, but keep in mind you're ALSO paying a little more than drugstore price for a product that competes with mid/high-end. if you're really concerned about aesthetics, depot into your favorite container and pretend it just came that way the whole time.

- i can think of a lot of more descriptive but less kind words to use for the website, so for the sake of the review, i'll go with "hot mess." the website is a hot mess. again, i totally understand why an indie would be hesitant to take down a site that functions without issues and lose money in the time it takes to switch to a newer, prettier platform, but it is a pain to navigate.

- my sample order arrived within a few days, but it took about a week for them to ship out my second order containing a munchkin size of korat plus some blush and highlighter samples. this is pretty much par for the course when you shop with indies (i've had to wait a month with some companies), but if you've never shopped indie before, you're going to get agitated. this ain't no amazon prime. meow cosmetics clearly states their turnaround time on their customer service page, and i found my orders took less time to get to me than the stated TAT both times.

cons:

- very slightly itchy if you use it on your bare skin. it doesn't cause me physical skin irritation and the sensation goes away pretty quickly, but if you're sensitive to face-feels or tend to develop rashes from irritation, you might want to stay away. however, i've had zero problems or itchiness just using it as a setting powder over liquid, so keep that in mind.

- if you're as blemishy and blotchy and unevenly skintoned as me, you know that any powder foundation that advertises as full coverage is going to be light-medium at absolute best. it's the same thing here: if you use this powder on its own and you want full coverage, you're going to have to layer it multiple tones, which is going to start to look noticeably powder after two layers. if you're looking for medium coverage, you're good to go, but if you're buying full coverage for actual full coverage, you're going to want to layer this over your liquid.

caveats:

- ORDER SAMPLES. order samples if you aren't already matched to a meow color and order samples if you aren't sure of your coverage. color matches do NOT carry over to other coverages, so if you're a perfect 5 mau in full coverage and decide you want to switch, you are going to be SOL if you order a full size jar of 5 mau in light coverage and discover it doesn't match. they don't take returns and they aren't as willing to bend over backwards like other indies, so don't expect to get your money back if you order a mismatch and sheepishly ask for a refund.

- this goes double for darker skinned women! meow tends to jump shades for darker skintones, so order a sample in the shade you think you are, plus one step lighter and one step darker. you may very well have to mix shades in order to get the right color for you.

This is an absolute HG foundation for me. I use the flawless feline foundation in sleek chausie.

The color chart on their website is helpful and I was able to find a great match after ordering a few samples. They have comparisons to popular brands' foundation shades to give you an idea of where to start and there is a large selection of colors. There are several different undertones (cool pink, warm pink, beige, olive, etc.) and each of those is offered in 6 different shades. I have trouble finding foundations pale enough for me but I am actually not the lightest shade in this brand.

The coverage is the best of any mineral make up I have tried, including BE and EDM. I don't think powders can achieve as heavy coverage as liquid or cream foundations, but this is pretty good and very buildable. It does start to look powdery if too much is applied. I apply with a kabuki brush and it covers small pimples/ discolorations, but not under eye circles or very red spots.

My skin tends to be very sensitive and I have not had any problems with this product. It has not caused any breakouts of irritation for me. With BE I had a lot of itching.

Overall this is a good every-day foundation for me. It is easy and quick to apply, lasts all day, and gives nice medium coverage that looks like natural skin. I have been using it for several months and still have a ton left in the container. I will re-purchase!

on 1/20/2014 12:29:00 PM

ABOUT MY SKIN: I am extremely pale with minor skin problems including mild rosacea. I have this in Inquisitive Chartreux. I have combo skin, but my dry areas are very dry.

PACKAGE - This is a way bigger container than any other mineral foundation I've ever encountered! The design is a little quaint, but I like that. It comes in a cute bag too!

VALUE - Good grief!! I have had mine for over a year and I do not feel like I have used any of it. There is an inordinate amount of product for the money!

APPLICATION - I have applied this with several brushes and all of them have worked well with this foundation. The only thing I think is important to say about applying this product, is go light. This stuff will make you look like you have a pound of makeup on, even if you only put a tiny bit. Be careful!

WEAR - I don't use a primer, but I would suggest that most people should. It will last all day on my face, unless I touch it. In which case, I will remove some onto my finger where I rubbed/scratched my face.

FINISH - Very, extremely natural. This is one of the more natural looking products I have ever used, provided that you apply it lightly. There is very little to no shimmer and it seems to even and smooth out my face.

COLOR RANGE - This is where Meow has got it covered! The have more than 80 colors or something like that. If you are extremely pale and can't find any other suitable foundation, please try this! There are also several undertone options, which is great if you are on the extreme end of the color spectrum, because you can find a true match!!

FACIAL CARE - If you want to use this foundation, you have to ensure that you are exfoliated and moisturized or you will have a lot of problems with it.

IRRITATION - I am sensitive to almost everything I put on my skin. But even though this does contain mica, it has never been problematic for me. Other foundations have caused me to break out, but this one leaves my skin very healthy looking.

OVERALL - Get yourself some samples and fall in love with this foundation.

NOTE - I tried the lighter version of this foundation, Pampered Puss, and found that it was much more shimmery (which is not my personal preference.)

This is a superior quality mineral foundation. It is extremely finely milled, glides on smoothly and evenly, blends easily, and is available in a HUGE selection of shades and colour depths. I use the flawless feline formulation (sleek depth - I am extremely pale skinned and even I found the inquisitive depth too light. Perhaps best suited for the very palest of redheads!), which is described by meow as being "heavy coverage". I'd say that is a fair assessment, as it certainly offers the fullest coverage of any mineral foundation I have ever tried, making short work of any skin tone uneveness: blotches, broken capillaries, old scarring, etc. I use Meow's undereye concealer (I find the regular formula difficult to work with) on any more serious flaws that decide to put in an appearance, such as larger, angrier spots, as I find even the flawless feline foundation needs just a little leg up to help conceal a major disaster. Nonetheless, very impressive coverage for a mineral foundation, and when applied with a light touch and a decent brush it's very easy to achieve a smooth, natural look thats not at all cakey.

This has pretty great staying power too, I can apply my make up in the morning and find it holds up to inspection reasonably well at the end of the evening with no touch ups, although I must admit that I usually like to blot my skin a couple of times throughout that period for oil control.

The packaging, while not devastatingly attractive, is sturdy and practical, with a built in sifter and the jar being wide enough to allow for even a larger flat top brush or kabuki to be dipped into the lid (which I sift a little of the product into at a time in order to apply it). I've had cause to take the jar away with me when travelling on several occasions and have yet to experience any problems with breaking or leakage.

Perfect for those of you who, like me, feel you need a little more help evening out the imperfections. For now, HG! :D

on 2/26/2007 3:39:00 PM

I've been using Meow's Original Formula Foundation for months, but I decided to try the flawless Feline version for days I need more coverage. I bought some samples, and I am VERY impressed. It blends perfectly and melts into my skin, yet covers completely. No itchies, no oily breakthrough. I think I've found my HG. I'm ordering a full size immediately!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been an Everyday Minerals (EDM) customer for years. After I ran out of my last full size (about 6 months ago), I've been trying dozens of other foundations to find the *perfect* one. I tried a bunch of liquid foundations, which look and smell like paint to me now. I like the applications and the ingredients of mineral foundations. Somehow I found out about Meow Cosmetics and decided to give it a shot. I can't help but compare Meow to EDM in this review.

Everyone talks about the cheap $1 samples, but you need a minimum order of $10 and they charge you $4.35 for shipping. That means you are paying $14.35 for SAMPLES. Compare that to EDM which charges you nothing for the samples and $2-3 for shipping.

I used Meow's color help service and they suggested Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat in the 0 and 1 depth. I skipped over the 0 depth entirely and managed to get 1 depth ("Sleek") in Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat, plus 2 depth ("Frisky") Korat from somone in a swap. I wasn't even able to assess Abyssinian becasue it was so light, almost white. It would have looked ghoastly. Korat seems to be a decent match, but I'm between Sleek and Frisky in depth. I'm not willing to buy 2 right now, so I ordered a full size of Frisky Korat in the Pampered forumla and hope for the best! I placed my order 10 days ago and I haven't received it yet, nor have I gotten confirmation of shipping. I realize that I purchased it during a sale but I think it's not unreasonable to expect to get the things you ordered within a week. I've since run out of my Korat samples and went on to Siamese while I wait, and I'm surprised how nice it looks as a full application. Many people are saying that if you want Flawless you need an exact match. I think even with Flawless, there are probably a few matches which would look good on you. Siamese seems to be the one that gets recommended to everyone to at least try.

I find that the Flawless formula is not very heavy, but kind of a medium coverage. It seems to disappear into my skin, which makes me feel that this is more of a powder than a foundation.

I took a photo of myself with EDM and it looked very obvious on my skin, thick, powdery, and a bit yellow. In general, EDM has an awful color selection (although they did introduce a new color organization scheme yesterday) - disorganized, extreme colors (some were very pink, extremely yellow, or gray). Meow organizes the colors in a way that makes sense and offers 86 colors in 3 formulas, plus pure white in case you need it. After I compared it to a photo of myself wearing Meow, I decided to go with Meow. It looked very natural on my skin (BUT it doesn't seem to cover as much either).

The things I prefer about EDM: the website, fast shipping, the price of samples
The things I prefer about Meow: the number of colors, true color matches, and the finish.
If only these two companies could merge and combine the best of both worlds...!

Meow also does not have a return policy, which troubles me. I have never EVER returned a cosmetic for any reason. If I don't like it, I live with it. But the fact that they don't even have that option is strange. Slow, slow processing time. Excessively priced samples. And a website which could do with some modernization and a professional graphic designer. Nevertheless, this seems to be a quality product, with skin-friendly ingredients, a large color selection, and reasonably priced for full-sized products. I could see myself becoming a regular customer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been using Meow since Aromaleigh went out of business awhile back. I tried all three formulas, but Flawless Feline seems best suited to my skin. I like medium to full coverage, and if my skin is behaving, FF delivers. I've been struggling with hormonal acne since going off the pill, and this definitely doesn't contribute to my skin problems. In fact, it probably saved my skin because wearing heavy liquid foundation every day to hide my hideousness wasn't letting my skin breathe. Even though this doesn't cover every little blemish/scar, it does make my skin look decent enough that I'm not insecure about it. I also love the it can hold up the extremes of my skin. I have normal to dry skin in the winter, and oily to really oily skin in the summer. One of the biggest perks I've found is their amazing range of shades! I'm fair but really yellow, and Meow has given me the best color match so far (I use Naughty Angora). I've been through one of their munchkin sizes, and after using it up, I repurchased but in the full size. I love how affordable Meow is! I've been using the full size since July 2012, and I have more than half left after using it every single day. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is my HG, but because it works for me and is affordable, I don't really have the desire to look for anything else.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The two biggest things I love about Meow Cosmetics are what it's made out of and how it matches my skin tone. Over the last couple of years, my skin has gone from being resistant to slightly sensitive. Since I wear makeup everyday for work, I decided to switch over to mineral makeup in an effort to cut down on breakouts. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the right color with Bare Escentuals. The closest I could get was the Medium Tan, but I still ended up looking pink...and kind of off. Being of Polynesian and Asian descent, it's incredibly difficult to find a foundation and powder that really looks good - not beige, but also not entirely yellow. Neutrals such as MAC's NC line is okay, but covers over rather than match my skin if that makes any sense. I can't remember how I stumbled on to Meow Cosmetics, but I absolutely love how they have such a huge selection. Buying up a range of samples, I discovered the one that was perfect for me: Manx. It's a mix of peach (not pink or beige!) and yellow, which matched perfectly with my skin. I stick with the flawless line because I like having full coverage. The coverage is excellent; it covers up my dark spots wonderfully and blends beautifully with my skin color.

Some of the downers, though, is that it can be pretty expensive to get the concealer, the primer, the finishing powder, as well as the foundation. Also, it always takes a while for my order to ship, sometimes two weeks even with paying for priority mail delivery. The latter is a bit annoying, but that's only because I tend not to plan early enough so when I order, it's cause I really need it. :) And like with any mineral cosmetics line, the whole loose powder deal is a bit inconvenient (I used to be a compact powder gal) when wanting to do touch-ups to, say, go from work to a night out. Still, it's small stuff compared to it's perfect color matching and non-irritating ingredients. I'll take that over a little inconvenience any day!

on 9/17/2008 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I am 29 years old South East Asian Girl. I'm considering my self having a golden medium skin. In EM, I using Olive Golden Medium. I'm not sure about my NC in MAC, but probably about NC 35. I only tried Korat Frisky and Naughty since it was meant for ethic girl. I think Korat Naughty is the best for me, although now I want to try something else... hehehe...

I ordered in Flawless Feline, so I can't compare to other coverage. But I like it. It covered my face well without feeling to heavy or something like that. I didn't use concealer, so there are still some dark spot left uncovered in my face. But I'll try again after my concealer sample arrive.