Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

4.9

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

on 4/6/2017 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't know why it is, but I had the *hardest* time trying to find information for a shade that would match me. I searched high and low on the interwebs and read pretty much every review here, there and everywhere before making my decision and it just seemed that since others didn't easily find a match either, they just refused to say anything about their Meow shade vs their MAC shade so that everyone would have to go through the same nightmare. Ok, I'm being dramatic. There might not even be a hint of truth to that... But it was super hard to get info, even on the Meow messageboards (back in the day they were active). Currently the messageboard is inactive but word is you can still get some info on their Facebook page. I haven't tried but have at 'er.

My first attempt was way too dark. I got 5 - Slinky Abyssinian. Doh!! I was stubborn and didn't want to spend the $ on samples, cuz, well.. I'm stubborn. Either way I was probably out the same amount of $. I assumed that the online swatches were probably skewed and that since minerals often look darker than they apply, went darker than I should have. Lesson learned. Now I have a HUGE jar of... eyeshadow. Or contour. I'm stubborn so I'll find a use for it at some point. My next order was more successful. I went up (ilghter) a few shades and got 3 - Naughty Abyssinian and although it looks weirdly darker and more olivey than my usual mineral foundation (a mix of shades from theconservatorie.com which is sadly fell off the grid), it's amazingly similar when applied to my skin. It's a hair less peachy/pink but otherwise very close. Matches me purrrdy good. I can sometimes have a bit of redness so the yellow/olive tone seems to cancel that out. Even though I got the Flawless Feline, I don't find this to feel like a heavy coverage. It's nicely buildable and not cakey at all. I'm normal/combo and have a preference for matte, so I like that this keeps me pretty much shine free for most of the day. I might touch up once mid-day but that's it. I use a flat top kabuki whose name has sadly rubbed off, or it's a no name one from theconservatorie.com - see above - off the grid. Pity...

I'd actually bought this a few years ago, but when I got it and saw the shade in person, I assumed it was too yellowy/grey/green to work and put it with my other unloved things that I couldn't bear to toss just yet (because it might work with something else should I have a 'mad scientist' day). Recently I was digging through my stash - gotta shop that stash - pulled it out and gave it a go, and good thing too. I am also considering trying a sample of Manx. Even though Naughty Abyssinian is *so* close, Manx has a bit more peach to it and mixing the two might be near nirvana. I'm stubborn...and a perfectionist... and there are a few eye shadows I'm eyeing anyways. For the record, I've also tried a sample of 4-Fierce Chartreaux but that one was both too dark and too pink. (Whoo, more eyeshadow!)
So use my disappointments to your advantage. If you're in the range of NC30-35ish, give Naughty Abyssinian a shot, or at least try a sample. Unless you're open to a huge jar of eye shadow.

Pardon me now while I get to work on my collection of Slinky Abyssinian eye shadows. I'll call them "Res-purrection from the Abyss".. or "Abysmal Failure to Fur-tune". Abysseeing you later...

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have gone through so many foundations out there, from the high end (Lancome, Estee Lauder, MAC, etc.) to the cheap end (Coty, Wet-N-Wild, etc.), and even though a lot of them seem to be HG at the time, I always ended up getting frustrated or disappointed with the results, or the price! Since my face will no longer tolerate liquid foundation, I went back to Bare Minerals. Even though I was using the Matte formula, it gave me horrible cystic acne on my chin! WTH?? So I researched mineral foundations here on MUA, and after reading the reviews, I decided I would try Meow Cosmetics. After reviewing the foundations on their website, I emailed them my questions about what foundation would work best for me, and I received a very nice reply with some suggestions. I then ordered samples from all three formulas of various colors in my range (NW20, Fairly Medium), and I found a perfect match that makes me look, well, Flawless - Frisky Syphnx in Flawless Feline. It makes my skin look like my skin only better! It blends nicely, feels like nothing at all, it doesn't cake or settle into my lines, and it may not hide all the redness, but it makes my skin look good and healthy. Flawless is the heavier of the formulas, but it looks good, and that makes me happy! And I haven't had any cystic acne since I have been using this foundation! If I do have a pimple (stupid period!), I put the foundation on, then dab a little bit of the Meow concealor, which is awesome too, and it fades away. The price you pay for the full size foundation is a steal! The jar is huge and it will last me a good long while. I am so very, very happy that I tried Meow, and I will definitely repurchase! An awesome product from an awesome company!

on 1/5/2013 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Update: I just wanted to add something. If you are a true Mac NC or C, none of Meow's shades are going to come close. Most of Meow's yellow based shades are unnatural. Abyssinian, Manx, and Angora are ridiculously yellow, and Chartreuse is extremely peachy. Korat will work well for some, but it has a lot of olive, so if you're not olivey, you may be out of luck finding a truly natural shade.

Many of Meow's shades in general are unnatural. I have a friend with peach skin, for example, who is fair but very rosy. Naughty Persian is a good shade for her, but there is simply no way anyone could be, say, an Independent Persian (the deepest version of Persian) without looking like their face is bleeding. There's just only so dark that peach gets on human skin. So even though they have a million shades, there are not that many that will work on real skin.

So if you're going for something as close as possible to Mac NC or C, you will need to mix. Mixes that have worked well for me are:

Manx and Siamese (or Mau)
Chartreux and Abyssinian

If you think of Meow makeup as a paintbox of mixing colors (as I do), it can be really fun, and you can adjust your look regularly with the weather or mood. Just realize you might have a hard time finding one perfect color.

Previous Review:
I have spent the past year trying to find the perfect shade and formula of mineral foundation. I tried just about everything and was largely unsatisfied. I started thinking it was just me, and either my skin was too messed up to ever look nice, even in foundation, OR i was just neurotic and needed to move on to more important matters in life. Well, I have to say that I'm very glad I stuck it through, because I've finally found the most exquisite mineral makeup. I should mention that I tried Meow a few months back, but I couldn't get the shade down, so I gave up. Something inside said I needed to give it another go, and I'm so glad I did. My perfect match is half Frisky Siamese and half Naughty Manx. And for me what works best is a mix of Pampered and Flawless formulas. Pampered is lovely, but it really is pretty light on coverage. Mixing the two gives me an amazingly natural, radiant coverage. Finding the right color is so, so important, but you may have to work at it for a while. It's time consuming and somewhat expensive to keep ordering more samples, but once you nail your shade, it feels like a miracle. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's literally changed my life and increased my overall sense of well-being. Every time I apply this, I am simply in awe. I never thought my skin could look like that. Now my biggest fear is that Meow will someday go out of business, and I'll be stuck without this!

There is one minor thing that bugs me about this line... The difference between the Frisky and Naughty shade depth is enormous. Other people have noted this too. I really wish they would remedy this, because I fall right between the two (as I'm sure many people do) and am unwilling to buy a third jar. Once you start mixing colors and formulations, and then need different depths for summer and winter, it can get really out of hand. There are ways to manage it though, and the payoff of having PERFECT foundation for your skin is worth the trouble to me. A good way to fix a too-light shade is to buy samples of the darkest shade (Independent), and add in small amounts. That way you're using almost pure pigment. You can do this with the same color, or you can add in other colors. You can even purposely buy a color in a slightly too light shade, so that you can alter the color with a second shade in Independent. I'm not doing this with my Siamese/Manx blend, because I also want the Pampered/Flawless blend, so I have to buy two jars anyway.

Anyway, this stuff is amazing... !!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Well, I'll tell you, after eight years as a Bare Escentuals loyalist, I've made the jump. This is just so much better! Flawless Feline gives me way better coverage, and Sleek Siamese matches my skin tone like no other foundation shade I've ever used. Plus, when you buy the large jar, it's the same price as BE, but you get twice the product. It sucks to have to wait for it to arrive in the mail, but that's a small quibble. This is just a much better product and deal all around.

Seeing such a low rating really surprises me on this one, so I had to stick in my 2 cents. I will start by saying I used to wear Bare Minerals, but after a couple of years I discovered I was breaking out in hives from the bismuth. I went through a glut of mineral makeups, and I landed on Aromaleigh. When they went out of business, someone suggested Meow. once I got the right shade I have been a happy camper and have turned my friends on to it as well. I have extremely sensitive skin and need full coverage...this stuff delivers! When I recently ran out I tried yet another foundation at the drug store, and proved to myself again that Meow has it down. Shipping for me has only been a few days. I ordered on a Wednesday and got it on the following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday). As for colors, you have to get samples. Small price to pay for such a great product at such a good price.

One final word, I don't think a lot of people realize how irritating bismuth is, and some think they can't wear mineral makeup when in fact it may be a sensitivity to bismuth. Meow has no bismuth, and I think they should proclaim that boldly. I had to do a lot of research and finally an email to know for sure. I'm not sure why so many high end cosmetics use bismuth, but I suspect it has to do with coverage. Few mineral makeups without it have a nice coverage, but Meow does!

on 8/25/2007 10:08:00 PM

This is my HG mineral makeup. I sampled many brands. I found my best match here. It also has great coverage for acne scars. For reference, I am NW20 and I found a match with Frisky Siamese and Frisky Ocicat. I never sampled Frisky Mau or Persian but it is possible that may have been a match also.

My best application method is with a damp flocked sponge from Alima. I also like to used the Philosphy airbrush flattop brush.

on 2/4/2007 12:31:00 PM

This is another fabulous foundation from Meow Cosmetics! I usually use it as a concealer because I get the results I need from Pampered Puss. This definitely has a permanent place in my makeup arsenal!