DHC Lip Cream

DHC Lip Cream

3.9

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I bought this in Japan for around $6-7 at the drugstore. It gets high marks from cosme.net, which is similar to MUA in Japan, which is why I was interested in trying this out. This is the same brand infamous for their Deep Cleansing Oil.

I had this un-open and stored in a cool dark place for over a year before using it. By the time I opened it, it had a distinct rancid waxy smell, but I used it anyway. I can imagine that it was tasteless and odor-less when fresh. I'm not that picky, so I'm still midway of using it daily. I estimate it will last 2-3 months with frequent use. Heed reviews that it will start smelling funky around 6 months.

I would repurchase this again if I knew I would be able to use it fresh within 6 months of purchase.

PROS:
- sturdy packaging, elegant, good heft (metal and plastic), reminiscent of Clinique's Black Honey packaging
- more emollient on the lips than most "chapstick" type balms
- great as a lip treatment
- priced well for what you get
- fragrance free

CONS:
- fragrance free (LOL) This means there is no fragrance to make it scent-free
- must be low on preservatives, because this will start smelling like rancid oil in less than a year
- those allergic to lanolin should stay away

on 7/25/2008 12:59:00 PM

This is probably the best lip balm I have ever used - not the least bit greasy or waxy (for comparison, Chapstick and Burt's Bees are a bit waxy to me, Softlips Vaseline and Philosophy's Kiss Me are greasy, Clinique's superbalm is neither but is quite thick and glossy) and seems to interfere the least with lipgloss or lipstick application as far as changing the color or intensity of whatever I put on top - it doesn't "sheer out" lipsticks like some balms that sit on top of your lips will. It feels like it's really conditioning and moisturizing my lips, and no scent or taste is a plus, I like to use it at night sometimes for these reasons. Also the nicest packaging of a lipbalm I've ever seen - not cheap at all, much like a slim lipstick. The downside is the price - $7 a tube is a bit expensive (especially when you consider the amount - only .05oz per tube compared with .15oz for a more "normal" chapstick like Blistex or Burt's Bees which is way cheaper) and the only reason I even tried it is that it was on sale ($11 for two) and I order from DHC quite frequently. I like this enough that I will continue to purchase it though - I try not to use it up too quickly by mostly using it when I am wearing a more opaque lipstick or gloss since it works better than any other balm or treatment under other products, since most days I use balm like tints I don't use it too much. I also love lip products so I rotate it w/my other ones (Tendertones, Burt's Bees, Clinique superbalms) so I don't go through it so quickly.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

One of the best lip balms ever - it's a champ at hydrating and possibly the lightest lip balm formula I've ever used, since it doesn't even feel like I have anything on. It has a clear, waxy formula and smell but on your lips, it's really light and absorbs quickly. I've decided to make this my new priming lip balm before wearing matte lipsticks, it takes care of dry lips really well. Also the packaging is simple but secure, no danger of this losing its cap when it gets knocked around in a bag.

The only negative is that it's rather expensive for a clear lip balm. I got mine on discount in Japan, but I don't think I'd have bought it at full price. I'll probably buy another tube when I go back, though. That said, this is not an absolute necessity since my Nivea and other drugstore lip balms do just fine, but like I said, I'd love it as a priming balm for lipsticks.

Things I like about this product:
- very sturdy, peach-colored twist-up container like a high-end lipstick; nice tactile feel to it
- good ability to moisturise lips
- slight sheen so can use under or over lipstick to give an extra gloss

Things I don't like:
- very strong odor of linseed oil. I think this is the smell people complain about.
- not much product for the price. I used my tube up in about 1.5 months of daily use. It's pretty expensive for a balm.
- diameter of product is relatively small (narrow column of balm) and the balm is rather soft, so if you twist too much up it will easily bend/break off.

I probably won't purchase again unless I could get a great sale price or something since it does about the same thing as vaseline, but it's a little more convenient in the twist up tube. (No need to use fingers to apply.) The linseed oil smell is also off-putting, although I did get used to it after a while and didn't notice the smell as much.

EDIT: I just checked the ingredients and it doesn't seem to include linseed oil. But that's what it smells like to me. So, Yes, there's an odor, but No, it's not linseed oil.

on 5/6/2008 5:28:00 AM

This is the very famous DHC Lip Cream thats always ranked about no.1 at Cosme.net. I finally got round to purchasing one myself and it didnt cost me much money, about US$8 maybe.

I bought it in Tokyo and it was Springtime.. the air was very dry and the winds were cold and my lips were cracking apart. On first application it didnt feel at all impressive. Just your regular lipbalm feeling. Nothing unusual. Was about to lose hope but i still put it on the night before i slept, but the next morning the DHC had healed my cracks! It sure doesnt feel or look like anything special but the point of it, and why its probably so famous is that it actually works and is not some prettily packaged gimmick.

Back in Singapore where the weather is hellishly hot and we're all sweating like pigs, DHC grew uncomfortable to use because its so thick and quite heavy. Not to mention my stick has become softer due to the higher temperatures. In Singapore i prefer to use a chapstick that has abit of a cool tingly sensation, so in conclusion i would only use this product in the situation of dry weather.

I actually like the packaging - its a glossy plastic apricot colored lipstick-type twist out container - nothing flimsy, and very sturdy. Ive seen some girls in Japan pimping their DHC Lip Cream by adding on stick on jewels. A cult item there for sure.

edit: i suspect the girls here and i are refering to different products, so heres a pic of mine - click continued.

continued >>

on 2/3/2018 6:41:00 AM

This is wonderful, its highly moisturising, emollient and long lasting. Love the tube packaging. Far better value than the Shiseido lip treatment. What would make this a winner is a bit of retinol. I've got the tinted, flavoured and plain versions and have purchased many times. Its best under lippie in AM and once after lunch, its all you need. Melts well and super smooth. Try it, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised, just as I was. Note its lanolin based but negligible fragrance.

on 1/6/2014 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this stuff. I've used all types of chapsticks, ranging from Burt's Bees, to Eos, Carmex, to generic brands. This definitely ranks as one of the top lip creams/balms that I've ever used. I loved that it was not super waxy (unlike Burt's Bees balms) and it STAYED on my lips. It's incredibly softening, and does wonders if you leave it on overnight. I also love that there is no smell. I'm personally a big fan of Eos lip balm, and I use it consistently. I think that this DHC lip cream definitely measures up, and ranks just barely under the Eos lip balms.

on 4/14/2012 10:48:00 PM

Probably the best lip balm I have used thus far. It's rather cheap (at around 7 usd) if you get friends going to Japan for holidays to buy it back for you. My chapped lips are healed the next day after I've applied it and it gives this soft shine look. Applied it before my Dior Addict Lipstick and the combination is great. DHC products have no added fragrance, preservatives, colour, etc, so it's so much better than having all kinds of weird chemicals into your system since you'll probably ingest some of the lips product. The only bad thing is that it gives this weird oily smell (no added fragrance to mask it up) after some time and I'll always have to replace this every 6 mths.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A great lip balm. This makes your lips feel like butter. This has the same smooth, non sticky, silky texture at Nivea, Labello, & Soft Lips lip balms. This by far lasts longer on the lips than any of the above mentioned, which is why I would gladly pay full price for it. This could be a uni-sex product as it leaves a slight sheen to the lips but no color. There is a faint smell of petroleum jelly, but I could not smell it on my lips, only out of the tube. Lots of emollient ingredients in this balm, it really is like a treatment. It does not have a thick texture at all, however the beeswax in it gives it just enough texture to stick & stay on the lips, but this is still not sticky if that makes sense? Where as soft lips or nivea slide off within an hour, this one does not. I can eat & drink and this is still on my lips protecting them. This doesn't have spf but I'm wondering if the beeswax & other emollients would protect in the sun? I have not tested this myself. This really nourishes my lips, and I would really recommened for all lip types, especially dry & chapped. So soothing to the lips, glad I caved into this after years of being a DHC fan. So far the Deep cleansing oil & this are my 2 favorite products. Update June 2012, after having this for 6 months the petroleum smell is starting to come out of it, the product works the same but the smell stinks when first applying.

on 7/22/2011 2:05:00 AM

Wow, this is THE lip treatment for me. What a pleasant surprise. DHC had these on sale two for one, so I took a chance and ordered them - I'm so glad I did! I use lip treatment products a lot and have a stash of Lip Vitamins, Prevage, lip smackers, Burt's Bees, you name it. Then I started using DHC and boom! it's made my lips noticeably softer and smoother in just a week of use. Now I wake up with lips that feel plump and smooth and supple, and are silky like butter all the time!! No other product was doing that! It makes me feel younger - I love the small size and retro-pink color of the tubes.

Popular Lip Treatments