DHC Lip Cream

3.4

on 3/16/2015 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a pretty good dupe for MAC prep + prime. At first I thought it was a fair performing balm but nothing to write home about. It is nourishing and moisturising but because of the soft waxy texture the good effects weren't as noticeable until the coating wore off to reveal nice soft lips. I used to wipe it off before applying lipstick but now I leave it on as something of a primer, which the balm texture allows for. I purchased in Japan for ~$6 so good price, but more expensive to import. Still cheaper than MAC though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A great lip balm. This makes your lips feel like butter. This has the same smooth, non sticky, silky texture at Nivea, Labello, & Soft Lips lip balms. This by far lasts longer on the lips than any of the above mentioned, which is why I would gladly pay full price for it. This could be a uni-sex product as it leaves a slight sheen to the lips but no color. There is a faint smell of petroleum jelly, but I could not smell it on my lips, only out of the tube. Lots of emollient ingredients in this balm, it really is like a treatment. It does not have a thick texture at all, however the beeswax in it gives it just enough texture to stick & stay on the lips, but this is still not sticky if that makes sense? Where as soft lips or nivea slide off within an hour, this one does not. I can eat & drink and this is still on my lips protecting them. This doesn't have spf but I'm wondering if the beeswax & other emollients would protect in the sun? I have not tested this myself. This really nourishes my lips, and I would really recommened for all lip types, especially dry & chapped. So soothing to the lips, glad I caved into this after years of being a DHC fan. So far the Deep cleansing oil & this are my 2 favorite products. Update June 2012, after having this for 6 months the petroleum smell is starting to come out of it, the product works the same but the smell stinks when first applying.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was honestly prepared to hate this product based on prior reviews. Anyways, I now realize how wrong I was. While it does feel a bit too heavy/greasy for daytime use it is fantastic before bedtime! My lips are soft, smooth, and incredibly supple in the morning. The only downside, as others have noted, is that you don't much product for the price (I paid $7.50 at an Asian market). I recommend this if you need a nighttime balm.

on 4/6/2010 2:34:00 AM

Overall Review:
The packaging is nice & sweet looking to be carry around for touchup & such. Its easy to apply smooth gliding on lips and great to use as base on lipstick. For the price, its kinda steep to get to use in the day only as its isnt performing for night.

Day use: I would say its ok to be use for day use,very lightweight & mild but you need to re-apply frequently in the day. Since it would kinda absorb or dry up in a while.

Night use: Its not a suitable formula to be use for night as it can hardly last you till morning. I realised that my lips are dry up & wrinkled when i wake up in the morning. For night use a thicker formula would better as the application would have to see you thru from hours without re-applying.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I like DHC products and had been interested in trying out this product however, I was extremely disappointed!!! It has the consistency of dried candle wax and is probably the worse lip treatment I've ever used. In fact, it makes my lips feel very dry and not at all moisturized, worse than before I put some on my lips! I'm surprised DHC would make such a dismal product. I'll stick with my $1.25 Carmex!

on 5/6/2009 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I picked up few tubes of this in Osaka without even knowing if it was good or not.. so i'm stuck~ Anyway. That certainly does sound like I dont like it that much. The moisturize of it is so-so. I do have to reapply quite often, like every 1 - 2 hours and it actually happens to dry out my lips sometimes (yeah I do talk a lot at work tho lol) This balm is pretty creamy, and feeling a bit heavy. The tube is kinda small and you really don't get much product for the price you paid for. On me, a tube last about 3 months maybe

on 8/8/2008 9:29:00 PM

This moisturizes ok, but has the consistency of petroleum jelly and if it gets a little warm it will melt. Also, for $7 you do not get much product at all. I've literally only used it twice a day (once in a.m., and again at night) for 3 weeks now and I'm already scraping the last bit out of the bottom of the tube. Save your money and try a different product.

on 7/25/2008 12:59:00 PM

This is probably the best lip balm I have ever used - not the least bit greasy or waxy (for comparison, Chapstick and Burt's Bees are a bit waxy to me, Softlips Vaseline and Philosophy's Kiss Me are greasy, Clinique's superbalm is neither but is quite thick and glossy) and seems to interfere the least with lipgloss or lipstick application as far as changing the color or intensity of whatever I put on top - it doesn't "sheer out" lipsticks like some balms that sit on top of your lips will. It feels like it's really conditioning and moisturizing my lips, and no scent or taste is a plus, I like to use it at night sometimes for these reasons. Also the nicest packaging of a lipbalm I've ever seen - not cheap at all, much like a slim lipstick. The downside is the price - $7 a tube is a bit expensive (especially when you consider the amount - only .05oz per tube compared with .15oz for a more "normal" chapstick like Blistex or Burt's Bees which is way cheaper) and the only reason I even tried it is that it was on sale ($11 for two) and I order from DHC quite frequently. I like this enough that I will continue to purchase it though - I try not to use it up too quickly by mostly using it when I am wearing a more opaque lipstick or gloss since it works better than any other balm or treatment under other products, since most days I use balm like tints I don't use it too much. I also love lip products so I rotate it w/my other ones (Tendertones, Burt's Bees, Clinique superbalms) so I don't go through it so quickly.

on 6/27/2007 2:31:00 PM

I really like this lip moisturizer. It moisturizes my lips exceptionally well, has good staying power and I really love the packaging. You do get a lot more product for the price if you get Carmex or even Smith's Rosebud Salve, but DHC works best for me.

Top Rated Lip Treatments