Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement
Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

4.7

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have been taking omega 3s on and off since I was 17. I have only been taking them daily for the past 6 mo or so with no breaks......the reason I would take breaks in the past was due to boredom or not seeing miracle results. But now at 25, I have to say - any results are a big deal. So I'll continue taking them. Especially now seeing the longterm results in my friends.

I use Nordic Naturals.
--------------------------------------------------------
I always try to wait a while before reviewing products just incase the initial opinions change as my skin (or body) adjust to it. Sometimes my thoughts on a product change later on due to several other variables, but I always make sure to update/edit my reviews. My body has had long enough to decide if it hates these. Luckily for me, there's been no negative effects. I haven't seen DRAMATIC positive results, but there has been enough of an impact that I will continue taking these.

Pros:
-My eyes are less red and less dry. Usually they hurt after a long day of staring at my computer screen but that is no longer the case by bedtime. They both look a lot clearer to me. Omega 3 is a common recommendation for dry eyes.

-Inflammation of my acne & post hyperpigmentation has decreased. KEEP IN MIND I am very diligent about my skincare and use products that target these type of issues already. I had already gotten rid of my acne for the most part. Nevertheless, I've still noticed a slight difference. My skin is (minimally) plumper. I've found that using a moisturizer helps my skin tolerate alpha hydroxy acids. It was a shock to me when I started noticing the omega 3s also could help in this manner. I never thought a supplement would protect my skin's barrier from within. Yet I am definitely able to apply my favorite glycolic acid toner daily now with 0 peeling.

-Recent new growth of hair is coming in a little bit healthier. It's been healthy since 2013 (I lost a ton in 2011-2012ish). But I'm noticing extra shine since adding these in...which is probably due to the neutral pro/con mentioned below.

Neutral pro/con:
-My (already oily) sebum production has started producing more oil. These supplements, based off what I've read on the science behind them affecting hormones, should be regulating my oil levels. :\ I was surprised that they actually increased it. This is bad news for my matte make up finish and greasy scalp. But... I'll make it work. The reason I consider this to be a neutral point rather than a straight up con is because I am a big believer that being oily skinned is a blessing in disguise when it comes to anti-aging and hair health. Think of it as a built in moisturizer. That's a huge reason I decided against ever going on Accutane despite every derm pressuring me. Note: If you are dry skinned naturally, omega 3 should help normalize your skin/oil production.

My biggest piece of advice is BE PATIENT and make sure you're getting an adequate dosage. It takes a few months for these to really get in your system.

Again - these haven't been miracle results but they're significant enough that I've noticed them. I'm sure they could be a miracle product for others. The person with the best skin I know in her 50s swears by these and I've seen INCREDIBLE results in others.

on 10/11/2015 6:59:00 PM

Hey girls!
A little bit about my skin:
I'm almost 21, and though I had not too awful acne during my teens, my lower half of my face went i n s a n e when I turned 20. (My chin had breakouts, my jawline as well) It's to the point where my upper half is perfectly fine but the lower half of my face is insanely red (due to pimples)
Anyhow! I've tried a lot of topical gels/creams, but they honestly didn't work. I didn't know what the cause was, and frankly, I still don't know what's causing this, but I did find a way to help it out: Omega 3 supplements.
A month or two ago, I was on makeupalley just reading reviews of random stuff and a little missy mentioned Omega 3. I started googling & understanding why my pimples were so darn red. The lady who commented before me explains very well why we need Omega 3.
I started taking the supplement about 3 weeks ago, and in the past week, I've noticed how less red my acne spots are! My mom is always aware of how haywire my skin is, and she's commented multiple times how much my skin looks better. I know at first I was very nervous in taking these supplements, because some peoples skins are insane after taking these, and others see a positive impact. Personal opinion of mine: try it out. It's okay if your skin doesn't agree with it; at least you'll know that you tried a new solution. You'll take care of your skin, and eventually the pimples from the omega 3 oil will leave.
Good luck ladies!

on 10/18/2013 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The great omega 3 it has benefited me since I was a baby I was given halibut liver oil squeezed in my bottle as an Infant it was a tiny little gelatin pearl it was High in omega 3 and vitamin a and e within two days my cold had miraculously cleared up as an adult still taking the halibut liver oil as well as hair skin and nails which is very high in omega 3 I found my skin is looking a lot healthier and my eyes are looking a lot clearer but apart from the good points it has boosting The appearance its amazing for your health I have noticed since I have upped my omega 3 in take my mood levels are beginning to stabilize and am feeling a lot less depressed and less anxious omega 3 is amazing and I couldint imagine My life without it.

on 1/17/2010 5:01:00 PM

I have battled acne for 17 years, and AHA and BHA products have really helped, but I've been curious about the underlying causes of acne and why there are some parts of the world where acne is virtually unheardof. I did some web research and found that 2 dietary factors are repeatedly mentioned in literature as causes/aggravators of acne: The imbalance of Omega 3s vs Omega 6s in the common western diet, and a high glycemic diet.
When my mom suggested to me in the past that my diet was a factor in my acne, I became really upset, because avoiding foods like chocolate and french fries that are commonly thought to aggravate acne didn't seem to do anything for me. But I finally realized that even what we consider to be a healthy western diet is pretty unbalanced when you look at the kind of diet we have evolved to eat. Think of how much vegetable oil is in everything we eat, which has very high ratios of Omega 6 to Omega 3 (the exact ratios depend on the type of oil, but all are not great with the exception of flax oil). Some research I read said that we have evolved to eat a diet of 1:1 or 2:1 Omega 3:Omega 6. But the ratio of the typical western diest is skewed way towards Omega 6s, which are more inflammatory fatty acids.
Also, we eat refined foods that have been stripped of fiber and therefore are high on the Glycemic index scale. You may think eating white rice or crackers or mashed potatoes is not going to aggravate your acne, but they are higher on the glycemic index than ice cream (which has fat in it which slows digestion) and therefore the sugars in these foods are quickly digested and send a rush of insulin into your bloodstream that can aggravate acne.
I have been eating a diet of steamed vegetables and brown rice, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, yams, 2% unsweetened yogurt, lentils, nuts and seeds, using only flax seed oil (and vinegar) as a garnish or salad dressing and making sure there was no extra sugar or oil in what I bought (they even put oil and sugar in trail mix!) and eat 2 fish oil capsules a day, and even without the AHA and BHA my skin has been amazingly clear. Its a hard diet to follow but I wanted to test if diet really worked, and it finally did for me. If I want a sweet desert, I eat fresh fruit or mix up some agave nectar (low glycemic sweetner) with cocoa powder and silken tofu in the blender, or use agave nectar on unsweetened yogurt.
Years ago I tried just fish oil capsules without changing my diet and it didn't improve my acne. I think you really have to go all out and be diligent about eating high in omega 3s, low in omega 6 and 9, and low on the glycemic index to see results.
Read about the imbalance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in the common western diet on the University of Maryland Medical Center webpage: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Me: 22 years old, not always as healthy an eater as I should be, but avid about my exercise and always looking for things to boost energy and muscle tone.

The product: Omega 3 in general, but Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil (lemon flavor) in particular. I buy this online, usually from the Vitamin Shoppe, and take 1-2 teaspoons a day...usually about 1.5 teaspoon. The cool thing about taking liquid fish oil is you can decide exactly how much you want to take every day. I get the 16.7 ounces in a big, hefty glass bottle, for around $25 including shipping. To be honest, the taste isn't that good and the texture is, of course, oily...in fact, taking it straight up can make me gag. I usually mix it in something else. But the upside is it tastes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like fish at all. I do get some "repeating" but I wouldn't call it fish burps...more like lemon burps.

One of the best ways to gauge whether your fish oil is fresh and effective is to put some of it in the freezer. Good fish oil should NOT freeze. I'm happy to say that my Carlson's didn't freeze even when I wish it would've - swallowing a fish oil ice cube would be easier than taking it plain!

Another good thing about this product line is they come fortified with vitamin E. Omega-3 requires vitamin E to work properly or it will be unstable and ineffective. In fact, not only will it not work as well, but it will also drain vitamin E from your own body's stock to work half as well as fish oil that comes with vitamin e in the liquid/capsule.

My experience: One of the things I can say for absolute certain is my weight management is a lot easier with vitamin E. I'm a person who watches and calculates my weight and intake every single day. Even when I go through a day of junk food and laziness I record everything I ate and my weight too...and I've definitely been losing more with omega-3s. This is with exercise, yes (at least 3 miles of walking a day), but that was something I did before taking these. Less easier to measure and yet significant for me is the improvement I've seen in my skin and hair, both of which are more balanced since I've begun. The dry areas of my face are more hydrated and the oily areas are more matte. My hair suffers the same combo, with an oily, itchy scalp and brittle, dry hair. Both have come closer to a happy medium.

I can't and wouldn't say that omega-3s are a miracle, but my supplement has become an essential and integral part of my daily regimen and I can't imagine not taking them anymore!

Ingredients:

continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I take these religiously, along with CoQ10 and I've noticed an increase in my energy level. Omega 3 have anti-inflammatory properties that are good for the heart. I find that if I take these after a long run, my knees and shins don't get as sore. There are medical studies that prove Omega 3's aren't just a "placebo" effect. In fact a lot of cardiologists recommend CoQ10 and Omega 3's as supplements after open heart surgery. FYI: because Omega 3's are an oil and as such, can go rancid after a time, I keep mine in the fridge to help avoid that.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Although I don't have dramatic results when I take these pills, I feel healthier and I think I look a little "healthier". My skin is slightly more glowy, my nails seem stronger, my knees pop less (which used to be a problem for me being a dancer), and my body acne is almost gone. Great stuff!

on 9/6/2008 10:03:00 PM

I have been taking Omega 3 for the past few months (on and off, but have been more consistent the past few weeks). In the past, I have had acrylic nails, since my natural nails would always chip/break and it was difficult for me to get them to a length I liked. Taking Omega 3 (in combo with using Sally Hansen's Maximum Growth polish)-- seems to have REALLY helped me keep my nails looking healthy and LONG. I have ALSO noticed that my fine, thin, shoulder-length, highlighted hair grows much more quickly now-- I am glad for this on the one hand, but it also means I have to get my hair colored MUCH more often--LOL. Give it a try, it can't hurt!

I have taken these everyday for a few months now. I take them for health reasons, because the Omega 3's are good for the bod, and I don't eat enough fish to get them. After reading the reviews here for fish oil, I couldn't help but laugh. Taking any pill can cause a placebo effect, and takers can blame/notice all sorts of things because of the pill, when in all reality, the conditions people are describing can be caused by HUNDREDS of variables. It would take nothing short of a scientific study to prove that taking fish oil supplements does indeed cause better skin, or faster growing nails/hair, or uplift one's mood, or lessen menstrual cramps or the plethora of other benefits that people have been describing. Other products one may be using, diet, medical conditions, activity, the weather/humidity, and allergies can cause many of the "symptoms" that people describe from using fish oil....or ANY product. Some people say that taking it "smooths frizz" and tames wild hair...but unfortunately, this is not possible, unless you have been taking fish oil for about three years, and have given your hair the chance to completely grow from roots to tip with the influence of fish oil. Hair that has already passed one's follicles cannot be influenced by further dietary adjustments...only at the root where it is currently growing can it be made to look healthier by means of supplements. Hair is not made of living cells, and nothing can change its appearance other than topical products. The thing is, a lot of medicine "works" because people want it to, and the placebo effect is very common and very commonly seen in studies. Since I've taken these pills, I've noticed nothing about my outward appearance that I'd be willing to attribute to taking them. Afterall, I use so many facial products, and those change every few months to boot, and my diet fluctuates, and it's summer, with changing levels of humidity...these things are more apt to affect the way your skin, hair, and nails appear. However, I hope my insides are a bit healthier from taking these. I don't know. So as to the copious claims I've seen about these pills, take it with a grain of salt. If you think they're going to work and do miraculous things for you, then chances are, you're going to "see" all sorts of benefits. Taking them most likely won't hurt you, unless you have an allergic reaction. I apologize if I've offended the "fish oil" fans out there, I'm simply trying to be objective.

on 7/18/2008 9:54:00 PM

After hearing so much about the health benefits of Omega 3 and how it's supposed to also make your skin and nails better I purchased a bottle of the oil which tastes like lemon and thyme and DOES NOT give me any fish belches. I wasn't going to stand for that side effect. If you pay enough for the the product you can avoid this.

So only two weeks into taking a teaspoon a day (which is a whopping 40 calories that I don't need), I'm thinking, "yah, whatever, another waste of 26 dollars....I better finish this stuff". Well, in the next few days I noticed that my EXTREMELY dry eyes are actually comfortable. It's amazing not living with the constant irritation, scratchiness, and redness. I've tried all the lubricants and gels and had punctal plugs put in to keep moisture in my eyes. Nothing has worked as well as this. The whites of my eyes are way clearer. They're not permanently irritated anymore! That means EMU looks better!! Drinking all the water in the world has never done what this teaspoon of oil has. I don't like taking it and I don't like the calories but geez, my eyes look and feel soooooooo much better.

It's worth a try.....and you never know what benefits you may experience.

Popular Other Products