Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

4.5

on 3/13/2012 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

There are numerous of health benefits from fish oil, and cardiac health being the primary. There has been so many rumors going on over the internet yet facts are often unwritten and mostly only hypothesis and animal studies.

I'm sure you guys and gals who are obsessed with superficial beauty already understand the benefits of fish oil for the inside health, but what about the outside?

Here I'll give you some links for reference about omega-3 and skin health:

In summary, EPA+DHA mainly protects the skin from inside out, mainly from UV damage.
There's an article regarding EFA and lipid peroxidation(or, destruction of lipid by free radical), theoretically, leads to aging, but it should be noted that it's referring to the EFA itself, the destruction of long chain fatty acids like omega 3 because of its own instability, making it the primary source for being a martyr in free radical assault, thus protecting other structures from being targetted by free radicals(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm no expert nor I am a researcher, therefore prefer to refer to the researches that have been done by experts(and well documented) instead of relying on my own experience.(Although I, myself take 2000mg of EPA+DHA every day)

If you're too lazy to read, and I understand that most people are, here is the guideline for taking omega 3:
-For cardiac health 650mg of EPA+DHA
-For weight loss, 660mg EPA+600mg DHA
-**For significant internal UV protection, 1800mg EPA+ 1200mg DHA

**it should be noted that in the guideline, upper limit for omega 3 is 3000mg EPA+DHA, more than that can cause adverse effect on blood clotting or increases the chance of hemorragic stroke, although only theoretical, I suggest not taking more than 3000mg EPA+DHA.

**high omega 3 dose is usually used in many research, this is mainly to see a distinct and visible value to the parameter used, and not to be used as the guidline per se(for example, for UV protection, 3000mg of total EPA+DHA is used to prove it, basically you can get UV protection from a lower dose.)

There is a myth regarding PCB and mercury in supplements but the case is rare and just a media hysteria, I've read Doctor Chopra's book regarding supplements and nutrition(you can google him), and he said that fish oil supps are unlikely to be contaminated and much safer than eating bigger fishes(which are higher in the food chain, accumulating more mercury).

There's also "pharmaceutical grade fish oil"(and uh, by the way, not regulated by FDA anyway, they're allowed to say whatever they want and put it on a higher price), or EE(ethy ester) or TG(triglycerides) form, both forms work well and absorbed well, and the term pharmaceutical is just a nonsense to me. Although I must say, if I could buy it, I would(okay, so deep down, outside the facts I've read,I happen to believe that the pricier the better), but for those who are on the low budget, no need to worry, the "normal"(EE form) and "non-pharmaceutical" fish oil is fine.

It seems that EPA and DHA makes not so much difference in the ratio, rather, the sum of them, and they work synergically. Aim for the total of EPA+DHA 500-1000mg a day for general health.

As for the acne, there has been a non-conclusive(although with a proof) research suggesting that higher omega-3 intakes are beneficial in reducing acne severity(numbers of acnes) and the lessions(you know, the redness...) None of the participants showed an increase of acne severity after 2 months of ingesting omega-3 rich capsules.
The information regarding the amount of omega-3(EPA+DHA) used is not known, it was only said, "...taking 4 capsules of a day." Nonetheless the research is pretty astounding and a great news for acne sufferers.

The omega-3 content in the body will reach its plateau or near-maximum saturation in 3 weeks, so if you're taking fish oils and get more acnes in 1-2days or 1-2 weeks(..or in hours) when taking it, it's unreasonable to blame fish oil. It should be noted that omega 3 fish oil is not a miracle product for eradicating the existence of acnes entirely and relying it entirely is again, unreasonable, other products should be used in conjunction to reduce acnes significantly(like Benzoyl Peroxide or BHA). If everything else fails, consult to a dermatologist.

I'm not promoting any brands and try not to measure it through my own experience(although I do have it), just so I don't sound so biased and rather tell you the well-documented and researched facts. Have fun with fish oil, and don't forget to put your sunscreen on everyday for the sake of beauty!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the way my skin feels when I take Omega 3. A+

on 12/4/2008 12:01:00 PM

i take 2 pills of omega 369 every day and they seem to really help improving my skin condition.. i break out waaay less than i used to..

I've been taking Omega 3 pills for 4 months now and i'm so glad i did! My nails are stronger, leess brittle and so is my hair. Skin's more supple too!

on 10/9/2007 3:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I suspect most people will have unexciting results like mine --- I took fish oil pills for about a month and a half, then switched to cod liver oil because it offers a higher dose of EPA and DHA at a lower cost. So I've been on fish oil for about 2 months now.

Hair, skin ---no visible improvement in terms of hydration. But I hardly get any pimples now and the one or two small ones I got disappeared very quickly. I have acne-prone skin, took accutane 7 years ago after which the acne returned but of a less severe variety. Nails grow very fast, as most people have noted.

What confuses me about the reviews is how some people have noticed such dramatic results, whether good or bad, often at low doses and a very short duration of time,eg 2 weeks . I am taking it at pretty high dosage (I now aim for 3g of EPA+DHA--- if you look at the label, the amount of EPA and DHA usually adds up to only about 300mg per fish oil capsule. I am following some of the guidelines from acne.org regarding the dosage.) but I don't see anything major, nothing exciting to shout about. I think most people will have results similar to mine unless they've taken it for a much longer period of time---like 6 months or longer. Will update because I plan to take this long-term.

EDIT: 21/7/2010: I'm an on-and-off long-term user. I don't really see any visible difference, sorry. I hope it's doing good stuff to my insides though.

UPDATE: 15/11/2015: Nails and hair definitely grow faster. Smoother body skin texture with improvement in cracked heels. Maybe now that I'm getting older, I notice the difference more when I take it vs not taking it.

on 10/5/2007 11:20:00 AM

Fish oil ruined my skin. I have dry skin so I was hoping this would help. I ended up with pimples all over my nose and chin. It was weeks before I connected it with the fish oil. A couple days after I stopped taking the pills, the pimples started going away. I can't believe a tiny pill could cause so much trouble!

on 9/25/2007 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil Liquid is my choice. I have tried several brands, and this is the only one that doesn't upset my stomach or give me fish burps. It is probably the most economical choice from their brand as well. The capsules are pricier. I will not live with out my NN, it is as necessary to me as my Shiseido sunscreen lotion (check it out if you are oily/acne prone!). My skin breaks out so much less, and looks less red and blotchy. Give it a try. I get mine at the local health food store for about $22 for a 40 day or so supply.

on 9/21/2007 8:36:00 AM

I'm taking GNC's fish oil and I noticed how smooth my face has gotten. My skin feels more moisturized and silky. I rarely break out but the past month I've been getting spots/pimples on my face. As soon as I took this, my face cleared up. I don't like that the pills are huge but I can deal with it. I haven't noticed any change in my hair or nails so far. Omega 3 is good for the brain which is a plus for me ^_^
I've only been using this for a week now and saw a significant change in my skin quality. My makeup goes on better :)
I'm just taking one pill a day but might bump up to two. Next time I will try to get one that includes vitamins.

::update::
I'm taking this every other day because I noticed my skin and hair gets oily faster. My husband noticed this too when he took some himself. This stuff is great but I'd minimize intake if you get oily.

on 8/30/2007 11:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

who woulda thunk!? i bought a bottle of orange flavored omega-3 fish oil from my local health food store ($13 for 60 pills of their brand) and i am hooked! not only is fish oil good for your insides, its good for emotional health and skin/hair/nails!! for about 6 weeks, i have taken 2-3 pills per day with lots of water, and have noticed my hair is growing shiny and fast, my nails are strong. i *think* my skin looks nice too! this is a way underrated beauty secret so i'm SHOUTING to all MUA'ers - use omega 3 fish oil pills! my suggestion: take only the kind that is purified/filtered - the super cheap ones are not and therefore, all the chemicals/bad stuff the fish have ingested will go right into you. give them plenty of time to work, probably several months. also, make sure you take them with a big glass of water, otherwise, fish burps will get ya. ;-)

on 6/12/2007 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Interesting! I did not know fish oil pills being reviewed here. I wrote this for my mom and grandma. I buy plenty of finish oil pills for both of them every year! Both of them like it a lot. My grandma said she feels she is healthier physically (She is 83 this year, I guess it is hard to notice differences for the skin, hair and nails), she said she doesn't get cold easily compared with otherwise. My mom said her skin looks smoother when taking these pills... I never know young people can take these pills too...well I will give it a shot then..

Popular Other Products