Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

3.9

on 12/17/2015 2:57:00 PM

No. Nonononono.

I started taking these as it's supposedly supposed to help with hormones and acne. Literally two days after starting these pills, I broke out something fierce all over my jawline and chin area. Big red inflamed pimples, too. I *almost* persevered thinking this was just a phase, but my skin looked so bad that I couldn't do it. After stopping them (and drinking a lot of water) I immediately cleared up. I'm glad this method works for some people, but it was bad for me.

So if you start breaking right away, just stop. It's not worth it. :(

on 10/10/2013 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I initially started taking omega 3 fish oil at the recommendation of my eye doctor to treat my dry eyes (!). I had also been struggling with adult acne for many years. About two weeks into taking fish oil my skin was so much clearer and breakouts stopped. My skin continues to remain acne free as long as i take omega 3 fish oil. I have been taking it for more than 5 years. I initially took it with flax oil & vit E, but now only take omega 3 fish oil. I take the liquid form made by nutri- supreme. This gets absorbed and digested better than capsules. When i first started taking it, i took capsules and i felt like i was burping up the flavor the rest of the day. With the liquid there is no after taste. I take about 1 1/2 tsps about 4x a week after supper. I drink juice after to mask the taste.

Also my hair got less dry and frizzy. The one who cuts my hair keeps commenting on how quickly my hair grows.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

It feels weird to give only one lippie to Omega 3, which is definitely healthy and necessary for optimal health. However, this review is for the supplement/ fish oil, a common ingredient in omega 3 supplements. Like others have touched on, there's a dozen reasons to take these, for beauty and for health. I'd read that omega 3/fish oil was good for the dry skin/whitehead skin type, which is usually me, so I figured this would be helpful and picked up a quality brand fish oil supplement from an organic produce store, it was called Carlson Eco-smart omega 3.

This brand was a large clear liqui-gel pill, and gave me no strange side effects such as 'fish burps'. First day or two, I thought my skin did seem brighter/more glowy, so I figured I'd found the beauty pill as most ladies here experienced it, and kept up with them.

My skin- I usually have mild/mildy-moderate breakouts, mostly in whitehead form toward the sides of my chin. Once popped, they are usually gone in a day or two, with the pinkness behind gone in another few days after that. Only thing I'd found that significantly affected my skin was birth control, so I've always figured it was hormonal, though I've tried all kinds of ways to combat it from inside and out.

A few more days into these and a small pink pimple showed up on the side of my nose, which soon became a dreaded cyst. This is not your typical pimple- it's the deep under the skin type that's big, red, swollen, and hurts. They feel like 5 pimples in one spot, and there's not much you can do to either reduce its swelling or make it come to a head. All in all, it took about two weeks for it to go away before being replaced by another one in the 'monroe' piercing spot beneath my nose, and then another one in the middle of my chin. I think one had started forming to the side of my mouth, but I'd by then stopped taking these so it wasn't as bad as the others (and it still scarred).

It probably didn't longer than a week or two to figure out that this supplement was the only thing new I'd taken and stop them. A month or two later I'm still left with a bright pink scar from each of them that probably will have to fade in more months time or be taken care of with a professional type of facial. If I remember correctly, I also had a few of these on my back as well, the kind that hurt to even lay on the wrong way.

Omega 3 is necessary for your body but this supplement is not the only way to get it. Though most of the reviews here are glowing in its favor, *please* don't ignore the dispersed reviews of other women who also broke out in disfiguring cysts. I took pills from a great brand and still experienced this, so it's not a matter of quality. Please also research alternative methods of getting your omega 3, such as from quality tuna/ salmon/ flax seeds (highest percent daily value) / and walnuts.

Here's a helpful site all about omega 3: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84
It states that research indicates that omega 3 may be better absorbed from food than from supplements anyway. Ground flax seed can easily be added to cereal in the morning for a healthy and natural way to get your omega 3- I used to do this and didn't even notice them much, they are kind of nutty. Flax seeds are a phytoestrogen though, so they may not be best for everyone (including women like me with hormonal imbalances already). The past few days I've been eating walnuts (the second highest percent daily value) in homemade granola in kefir and it's delicious. My skin is looking good- whatever little bumps were there have reduced and my overall tone is bright.

I don't want to scare anyone away from omega 3 in general, I just want to warn everyone that this sort of bad reaction from a fish oil/ omega 3 supplement is a real risk, and that you can still get the omega 3 without necessarily having to take that risk yourself. I hope this helps someone!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I wanted to share my experience taking an Omega 3 supplement every day for 3 weeks now. Ever since I turned 37 I noticed a change in my skin and hair. My skin became more sensitive, blotchy red, and dry. My longe, high and low lighted blonde hair became thinner, oily at the roots, and dry on the ends. Before i turned 37, i never even washed my face before going to bed, let alone moisturize or use a retinol product. The only makeup i used was the neutrogena healthy skin foundation over an olay face moisturizer to even out my skin tone in the morning. I washed my hair with a drugstore shampoo and conditioner every morning that had sulfates and silicones in it. I never used a hair mask. My hair was pretty normal, as well as my skin (never exfoliated). This past year I have been coming on this sight to find the best skin products to use on my aging skin. I have now implemented a pretty good skincare regimen. I also rotate between 3 sulfate free shampoo and conditioners in the shower. I had an Omega 3 supplement in my linen closet i bought last year that i never successfully stuck to taking every day so in the closet it went. I read an article one day about how good Omega 3s were good for your skin and hair so I took it out one week before christmas and started taking 1 capsule 3x daily. I got my hair done on christmas eve and bought a new shampoo and conditioner called Amazon Oils my stylist wanted me to try (my salon has their own line of products). After Christmas i began to see that my hair was really really soft...almost too soft if that makes sense. I have thinning hair so i want my individual hair strands to be as plump as possible for volume. No matter what volumizing product i tried before blow drying my hair(including the free one i got from my stylist), my hair was still too soft. I though "Wow this new shampoo and conditioner i bought from the salon must be making my hair this soft," so i told my mom about it because she goes to the same salon. A week later I noticed my skin was less blotchy red and less dry...almost perfect to the point where i didnt need my full coverage foundation. Thats when i realized that it must be the Omega 3 supplement im taking that is making my hair and skin so soft! I would have never expected this effect on my skin and hair from taking it. Since starting the supplement, my hair is soooo soft. My face is just as soft and it isn't dry, red, blotchy anymore. I can even skip moisturizer if I wanted to....the same with my skin on my body! Super soft! I wanted to share this with everyone because maybe you are having the same problems with your skin and hair as you start to age. Omega 3s might help! I take the Natural Factors brand from iherb.com and cut back to taking 2 a day cuz taking 3 a day left my hair too soft. I don't get fish burps. I havent noticed my hair growing in faster and fuller yet or less hair fall...just really soft. i'm hoping if i continue with my omega 3s, i will notice fuller hair. i will keep you updated on that. They have regulated the oil production for my face and scalp though which is a plus. I dont have oily roots anymore and i dont have to wash my hair every day. i also only have to use a light tinted moisturizer with sunscreen on my face, no more full coverage creme foundation to hide redness and even out skin tone or a heavy moisturizer cause the omega 3s took care of all that for me! Try it and see if it works for you...you have nothing to lose if it doesn't.

My family has a history of heart disease, so I wanted to supplement my predominately (I do eat fish once or twice a week) vegan diet with fish oil: the omega fatty acids are supposed to be good for cardiovascular health. Anyway, after about two weeks of taking 2 pills a day, I started to break out. I was taking high quality fish oil, purchased at a local health foods store, so I don't think it was the quality, rather the oil itself. Anyway, my breakouts were predominately concentrated on my chin, and were what I consider cystic acne: deep below the skin, painful, and swollen. I was alarmed because I have never had problems with my skin besides the occasional bump or two, and I am well into my mid-20s, so I shouldn't be developing any new acne issues. I tried tons of different facial washes, to no avail; the problem was underneath my skin. I finally figured out the fish oil was probably the problem (thanks to a search on MUA), and I stopped taking the pills. Within a month was skin was clear and blemish free. Maybe one day I will take them again (if the doctor orders) but for now, I am steering clear of the supplements because of the absolute havoc it wreaked on my skin.

on 7/11/2009 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Just wanted to share my experience with the Omega 3 fish oils...I heard about all the great benefits and was so excited to start taking them. When I first started, I was taking every other day, and did start to notice my hair grew faster (mind you - all body hair which is not necessarily the intended effect :) but also my nails grew faster and stronger, I was starting to see an effect on my skin....but unfortunately a few weeks after taking them, I started breaking out. I didn't want to believe it was the fish oils, soI stoppped for awhile. After starting up again and changing up the frequency (once every 3-4 days or so), I started breaking out again. And these zits were large and painful...not just the little whiteheads I normally get. Stopped taking again...waited a few more months....started 1/week....and started the breakouts again. I know there are certain times of the month where skin is more apt to break out, but this was not one of them. Sadly, I have to surrender and know I will have to get my extra Omega 3 another way....I am giving 3 lippies as these DO provide many health benefits...but I am just not willing to sacrifice my skin for them :( I'll probably end up dumping the rest out, as there is no way my roommate will take them after seeing what they have done to my face

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

After reading the reviews for fish oil pills here on MUA, I went out a bought a huge jar. I have been taking the them for about a week now and have noticed a huge improvement in my complexion. It looks so much more radiant and healthy! My cheeks are rosier and I have lost that ashy tone my skin had. It works better than any cream or exfoliant. I am so delighted and think it is the best beauty buy I have ever made. These should be part of everyone's beauty routine imo.

I have also suffered from a sore neck with cracking joints for ages. Well, since I have been taking these pills my neck hasn't become sore and I'm very surprised! My joints still crack though, but at least there's no pain.

Overall, I give fish oil full marks. Just try it, you will be amazed at the difference in your skin!

EDIT: 22/04 I am continuing to be wowed by these pills! I have noticed the KP on my thighs is suddenly much improved. I haven't been doing anything different and because of my complexion has improved, I think MUST be these pills: they are really improving my skin. I have even noticed the skin on my lower legs is much less dry as well. I'm taking these pills for the rest of my life!! HG!!!

on 4/11/2009 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Original review written 2007: NOTE: DO NOT NOT *NOT* take omega 6's! You get plenty of 6 in your diet, simple homework will reveal that your body needs BALANCED levels of omega 3:6:9 and taking the 3/6/9 supplements will OFFSET the 3 to 6 ratio and cause more HARM then good! PLEASE do not make the mistake of not doing your research, anyone who says otherwise has not bothered to take a moment and check what they are doing to themselves!

With that said, I have been taking Omega 3's (NatureMade) for a couple months now and it has become a staple in my routine for skincare...not only that but nail care too! My flaky nails and hangnail prone fingers no longer have either problem at all, they are very strong and have a pretty sheen. My hair and nails grow faster - but moreso than anything - it helps control my cystic acne. I stopped taking these for a couple of days while on a trip and BIG MISTAKE - huuuge zits less than a couple days later and now I am fighting them off again. No more skimping on my omegas. I highly recommend taking the odorless ones...they are more expensive but eliminate any possibility of fish burps and have no smell or taste. I put them in the fridge because it helps extend their shelf life. I wouldnt freeze them tho, like someone else mentioned. Anyway - definitely recommended.

.. Just a suggestion, I buy the brand "nature made" from CVS, only the odorless "no fish burps" type though. Theyre in a yellow bottle.

***UPDATE*** 4/11/09: I switched over to the liquid form shortly after writing this review in hopes that I could benefit from the smaller quantity req'd for the same effect. I also went with cod liver oil (still omega 3) Carlson's Lemon flavor, because cod liver has vitamin D which I find necessary to stabilize my mood in winter months when I cannot get much natural sun light. Anyway, after using almost the entire bottle I decided to try freezing it out of curiousity, and to my horror it FROZE which leads me to believe either a) it went bad at some point or b) it is not a great product. I am sort of beside myself now about taking it, but plan on it in some form because it helps in so many ways. I am acne prone and it did not exacerbate my condition, but rather it calmed it down quite a bit in conjunction with saw palmetto berry to regulate my hormones. Just thought I would add that.

And, FYI to anyone who's noticed this unfortunate effect, some types of lower end pills will make your private parts smell fishy. Be warned...you get what you pay for.

On that note: I do still recommend it very much. But do your homework, and if you do buy the pill form, freeze them so the fish burps are rectified.

on 3/4/2009 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Great product for both health and beauty. But remember to check your bottle for USP CERTIFIED or USP VERIFIED to ensure you are getting quality, clean, healthy oils :)

I wanted these to work, but they have an awful side effect. Do not take this if you want any man to be attracted to you or you ever want loving from your husband/boyfriend/significant other! Horrible fishy smell overpowered my private parts about two weeks after starting the pills. Took over a month after stopping to get the smell out! Omega-3 fish oil may have great health benefits, but definitely not worth it for me.

Popular Other Products