Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

3.6

on 12/17/2015 2:57:00 PM

No. Nonononono.

I started taking these as it's supposedly supposed to help with hormones and acne. Literally two days after starting these pills, I broke out something fierce all over my jawline and chin area. Big red inflamed pimples, too. I *almost* persevered thinking this was just a phase, but my skin looked so bad that I couldn't do it. After stopping them (and drinking a lot of water) I immediately cleared up. I'm glad this method works for some people, but it was bad for me.

So if you start breaking right away, just stop. It's not worth it. :(

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Dear everybody,
hey....okay i dont know for sure but i think fish oil might be the reason ive constantly kept losing my hair for the past 3 years. i had full density before. crapp. look i dont know for SURE if its causing it but its probable because of the high mercury and toxins in fish oil. ummm...i really dont know what to do. cuz i just realized that i didnt have any problems until i added fish oil. i cant believe it took me so long to realize this. im so angry. im going to do a further investigation and i promise ill get back to you guys.

also, please dont let my review stop u from taking fish oil. omega 3 is wonderful and your body absolutely needs it. please just be careful okay? be wary of anything out of the ordinary.

will get back to you in a week or so. take care <3

on 8/27/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use Puritan's Pride Omega-3 Supreme fish oil. It contains 950 mgs. of fatty acids (DHA & EPA) per each 1360 mg. capsule of fish oil. I take 2-3 capsules daily--this much only because a cardiologist suggested fish oil as a treatment for a heart irregularity (PVCs) I was experiencing. I was amazed that the PVCs improved in three weeks and were gone by seven weeks. I had been experiencing them for over six months and prescription changes were not helping at all. I rarely have fishy burps but some people have to adjust to fish oil. Change brands if you burp too much. Purtain's has periodic Buy1/Get 3 Free sales.
My chronic acne problems did not seem to worsen or improve when I began using fish oil. Hair, nail condition, vision, mood or skin oiliness...no change. Fish oil lowers triglycerides but can raise total cholesterol in some people. That happened to me but the ratio of HDL/LDL stayed about the same. UPDATE: I have switched to the Nature Bounty 1,400mg. Fish Oil that I have only found at Costco. With this I can take one capsule daily and get much more omega acids because it is very concentrated.

I take these regularly and find that along with my vitamin E they keep my skin looking in tip top condition.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have just started taking fish oil again after a short break (few months) and I'm really regretting it now. Three weeks into it I've broken out pretty bad, I currently have six pimples on and around my chin/mouth area. I can't remember the last time I had a break out this bad. I took fish oil for a year or so previously and I found pimples were constant - thought it might be the fish oil so decided to stop taking it for a while. Can't believe I decided to start taking them again.. mostly because they were expensive and I hadn't finished the bottle. The recommended dosage is two capsules a day but I only took one a day. This is the Nordic Naturals brand of Omega 3 fish oil. I've found that it does help with improving the overall complexion of my skin but that's the only postive and that alone is not enough for me to continue because I'm certain this is what's causing the breakout as I have not added anything else to my diet or changed/started using any new products.

on 9/13/2009 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

People always suggest taking fish oils but every time I take them, I get HUGE cystic pimples. I tried it two different times to make sure and the pimples each time were sizes of dimes. It was horrible.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

After reading the reviews for fish oil pills here on MUA, I went out a bought a huge jar. I have been taking the them for about a week now and have noticed a huge improvement in my complexion. It looks so much more radiant and healthy! My cheeks are rosier and I have lost that ashy tone my skin had. It works better than any cream or exfoliant. I am so delighted and think it is the best beauty buy I have ever made. These should be part of everyone's beauty routine imo.

I have also suffered from a sore neck with cracking joints for ages. Well, since I have been taking these pills my neck hasn't become sore and I'm very surprised! My joints still crack though, but at least there's no pain.

Overall, I give fish oil full marks. Just try it, you will be amazed at the difference in your skin!

EDIT: 22/04 I am continuing to be wowed by these pills! I have noticed the KP on my thighs is suddenly much improved. I haven't been doing anything different and because of my complexion has improved, I think MUST be these pills: they are really improving my skin. I have even noticed the skin on my lower legs is much less dry as well. I'm taking these pills for the rest of my life!! HG!!!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use Nordic Naturals Complete Omega 3-6-9 fish oil pills, one in the morning and one at night. This is a high quality brand that was recommended by my doctor and does run a little pricier than grocery brands---plus side there is not fishy smell or taste whatsoever!! It is important to be careful about just taking Omega 3 or 9 alone because one thins the blood and one thickens it (think emergency situation) so this one is great because its the combo. First thing that was very noticeable was my hair, I could never grow it out before because its fine and thin and flat, but I was getting married and determined to grow it long just for the special day. With these pills my hair not only grew faster it was thicker and healthier than ever before!! No one can believe it, now I get approached about how beautiful my long shiny hair is, and my family thinks I got extensions. My skin hasn't been as noticeable, but it definitely did not get worse and I am very acne prone. My husband just got a checkup for his allergies and they recommended the same pills (for general health not allergies). I was worried about the monthly cost getting pretty expensive so I did some investigating and it turns out you can get a huge bottle on Amazon for a great deal! Its worth a try, go for quality it makes the difference!!

I started taking this for health, not for beauty (that's what I tell myself anyway.. truthfully I started taking them for both!). Unfortunately I started getting very painful, large acne (unlike I have EVER had). It was so bad I had to stop the pills. And luckily the acne went away. I'm going to research more alternatives though, because I do believe omega 3's are very important for health. Maybe I'll just eat more tuna?? :)

on 12/29/2008 8:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I am writing this not only to document my own research/experience from taking and eating Omega 3s, but also to put a fair, countered perspective to the reviewer below who believed fish oil has a placebo effect.

Q: Are there any scientific studies that prove fish oil improves skin conditions?

YES!! I recommend “The Clear Skin Diet” by Harvard faculty member - Dr. Alan C. Logan, 242 pages of research and background. After reading the book, I am convinced our diet has a direct correlation to our skin (and health), ESPECIALLY for those who are genetically predisposed to certain conditions. Prior to this, I was a skeptic like many others - reluctant to jump on a fish oil fad without understanding the science behind it. (Read the book, it will feed your logical and investigative side). It transformed my understanding of the Western medical industry.

Personally I begin taking fish oil after going off Spirolactone (the side effects just weren’t agreeing with me). I saw a benefit in my skin within 2 weeks in high dosages (I stress high dosages). Usually at this time of the month I always get cysts as my hormones inevitably fluctuate. This time combined with an understanding of a non-inflammatory diet, I didn’t have any noticeable ones! This was really amazing for me so I continue to take it for 6 month now with great results. I have also found cutting out diary products (milk, ice cream) reduced my outbreaks noticeably.

Unfortunately, I love baked goods, chocolate and eggs, as well as a night owl lifestyle – which I have all experimented to be trigger points in breakouts for me personally. To completely cut those items and lifestyle changes out 100% is unimaginable. I’ve got to live a little sometimes you know! I would say fish oil provides clearance about 80 - 90% of the time, but not 100% as an antidote when I do indulge. So now I am also experimenting with GLA (Gamma-linolenic acid), found in Evening Primrose Oil and Borage Oil, which seems be an equally popular holistic avenue - on par with Omega 3 in the anti-inflammatory department.

Q: How can one product confer so many benefits? Reviewers have documented benefits to heart, vision, skin and hair?

To answer this question, you need an understanding of nutrition and how the Western medical industries currently operate. (A reviewer below’ comment on a placebo effect is unfortunate but understandable given the educational system we are fed today). Essentially, our bodies need a 1:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 to function in the utmost balance. Unfortunately our modern diet and lifestyle has catapulted this ratio to be 20:1, causing an inundation of inflammatory conditions manifested as acne, heart problems, arthritis, just to name a few. Fish oil contains EPA and DHA, omega 3 fatty acids that dampens and counters inflammation from a high intake of omega 6, as well as foods like walnuts and flax seeds. Essentially omega 3 in fish oil DOES NOT CURE those problems in the conventional sense in which the medical industry isolate a compound, patent it, and chemically transform ingredients into pills to be taken and sold. But rather by putting our bodies in balance, perhaps more so with the way nature intended and thereby alleviating many conditions. Again Omega 3 is not the only antidote to inflammation, there are documented other holistic avenues such as GLA from evening primrose oil.

Given that our human body is born to function as one unit…and if you examine closely, the common root of inflammation plays a critical component in acne, arthritis and heart problems….are those many benefits from fish oil really such a wonder? Are they really such a miracle?

Q: I am taking fish oil daily, but I am not seeing any noticeable benefits, why?

There are two reasons for this – quality and quantity. Fish oil tablets are bottled from a variety of fish skin oils – salmon, anchovies, mackerel and from a variety of environmental water conditions, some more pristine than others. Manufacturers are jumping on the fad for obvious revenue reasons, thus it is up to consumers to become educated on what to buy. Omega 3 intakes should be calculated not in the number of pills (this is misleading), but in the mg of EPA and DHA it contains per pill (it is at the back of the bottle). A value size bottle from Wal-Mart versus a quality brand from a nutrition boutique will contain remarkably different levels of EPA and DHA.

From The Clear Skin Diet (pg 72): “The editorial in the Journal of Rheumatology (2000) stated, ‘….Dietary fish oil supplements should now be regarded as part of standard therapy for rheumatoid arthritis.’…guidelines for arthritis suggest at least 2,000 mg (of EPA) daily… Check the labels and make sure your brand has enough EPA.”

So what this means is that for a value sized brand that has about 100 to 150 mg of EPA per pill, 2,000 mg means 13 to 20 pills a day (yes per day!!!) to see much of a difference in a chronic condition. For a quality brand that has 500 mg of EPA each, 2,000 mg would mean only 4 pills a day. For skin problems I would suggest 2,000 mg of EPA to start as treatment, than gradually go down to 1000 to 2000 in maintenance dosages (adjusted per the individual).

I have found both Carlson’s fish oil and Nordic Naturals to be highly reputable brands. I personally take the Carlson’s Very Finest Fish Oil in the 16.9 oz glass bottle. I do buy the pills for travel though. As it is highly concentrated with 800 mg of EPA per teaspoon, I prefer getting 2000 mg of EPA from 2-3 teaspoons daily, rather than having to swallow 8 – 10 huge pills. An added bonus is that the bottled format contains lemon extract, so there is no discernable fishy taste or burps.

I hope this answers many questions about omega 3 and fish oils.