Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

4.2

on 10/11/2015 6:59:00 PM

Hey girls!
A little bit about my skin:
I'm almost 21, and though I had not too awful acne during my teens, my lower half of my face went i n s a n e when I turned 20. (My chin had breakouts, my jawline as well) It's to the point where my upper half is perfectly fine but the lower half of my face is insanely red (due to pimples)
Anyhow! I've tried a lot of topical gels/creams, but they honestly didn't work. I didn't know what the cause was, and frankly, I still don't know what's causing this, but I did find a way to help it out: Omega 3 supplements.
A month or two ago, I was on makeupalley just reading reviews of random stuff and a little missy mentioned Omega 3. I started googling & understanding why my pimples were so darn red. The lady who commented before me explains very well why we need Omega 3.
I started taking the supplement about 3 weeks ago, and in the past week, I've noticed how less red my acne spots are! My mom is always aware of how haywire my skin is, and she's commented multiple times how much my skin looks better. I know at first I was very nervous in taking these supplements, because some peoples skins are insane after taking these, and others see a positive impact. Personal opinion of mine: try it out. It's okay if your skin doesn't agree with it; at least you'll know that you tried a new solution. You'll take care of your skin, and eventually the pimples from the omega 3 oil will leave.
Good luck ladies!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Take your omega-3's ladies!

Here's the simplified synopsis: Your darling little bodies have fatty acids in the cell wall of each of your cells. Omega 3's are just one type of fatty acid. (Another type you've probably heard a lot about are Omega 6's.)

Omega 3 and Omega 6 compete for similar jobs in your body. Omega 3's can usually get the upper hand... if you eat enough of them.

And why would you want to do that? Wellllll... guess what happens when you have too many Omega 6's running around in there?

INFLAMMATION. (ewwwww.....)

Yup. Upping your Omega 3's and reducing your Omega 6's can positively impact ANY condition that has ties to inflammation.

That means we're talking about: eczema, psoriasis, acne, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, Crohn's disease, asthma, hayfever, rheumatoid arthritis... the list goes on forever.

Are YOU getting enough Omega 3's? Probably not. Most Americans have 16 to 30 times MORE Omega 6's in their diets than Omega 3's. That's bad news.

The GOOD news is: you can fix it! You can INCREASE your Omega 3's through supplements and DECREASE your Omega 6's by refusing to eat anything cooked with a fat that is liquid at room temperature (ex: soybean oil, corn oil, olive oil, etc.).

Grapeseed oil, for example, has 696 times more Omega 6's than Omega 3's... so every time you put stuff like that in your mouth, you're creating excess inflammation throughout your body. Not a good idea.

Like all good things, you can overdo it - so DON'T take more than 3 grams (3000mg) of Omega 3's in a day.

If you're looking to balance yourself without supplements, you'd want to eat plenty of leafy greens, ground flax seed, fruits, beans, veggies, and the maximum allowable fish intake per week for your gender, age, and weight.

Remember it takes TIME for all the cell walls in your body to change out Omega 6's for Omega 3's. So be PATIENT. You should start seeing results within four weeks and will definitely see results 12 months after correcting your diet!

Happy eating!

on 6/16/2013 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I started taking this a few months ago for a variety of reasons, including better brain function and all the other goodies that this wonderpill does. I used it consistently and noticed a lot of improvements in my mood and energy levels.

I have never had acne and don't really break out from things. My whole life I got a small zit or two before my period and that was it. I could sleep in my makeup, wear stuff that broke everyone out, and treat my skin like dirt and it would be fine. Then mysteriously a few months ago my skin went berserk. I woke up one morning with more than 10 huge zits all over my face. I had my first cysts ever on my chin and forehead. I changed up my entire skincare routine, I tried everything, I went to a dermatologist, I started tretinoin, I stopped wearing foundation, NOTHING worked. I was so depressed. After changing out every single product I used on my skin and continuing to get horrible scarring acne, I was about ready to give up. I even stopped eating dairy with no help.

Finally after months of awful breakouts and acne, I tried cutting the fish oil. I finally stopped getting breakouts within a few days of stopping, and finally several weeks later I am mostly healed on my face. I have pitted scars on my forehead and dark purple scars on my chin, as well as stringy white scar tissue around my nose. I don't have sensitivities to much of anything. No special dietary needs, "weird food things," so this was really weird for me. I have been reading around and apparently fish oil has caused a lot of people to break out. I would go into these with caution.

on 3/13/2012 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

There are numerous of health benefits from fish oil, and cardiac health being the primary. There has been so many rumors going on over the internet yet facts are often unwritten and mostly only hypothesis and animal studies.

I'm sure you guys and gals who are obsessed with superficial beauty already understand the benefits of fish oil for the inside health, but what about the outside?

Here I'll give you some links for reference about omega-3 and skin health:

In summary, EPA+DHA mainly protects the skin from inside out, mainly from UV damage.
There's an article regarding EFA and lipid peroxidation(or, destruction of lipid by free radical), theoretically, leads to aging, but it should be noted that it's referring to the EFA itself, the destruction of long chain fatty acids like omega 3 because of its own instability, making it the primary source for being a martyr in free radical assault, thus protecting other structures from being targetted by free radicals(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm no expert nor I am a researcher, therefore prefer to refer to the researches that have been done by experts(and well documented) instead of relying on my own experience.(Although I, myself take 2000mg of EPA+DHA every day)

If you're too lazy to read, and I understand that most people are, here is the guideline for taking omega 3:
-For cardiac health 650mg of EPA+DHA
-For weight loss, 660mg EPA+600mg DHA
-**For significant internal UV protection, 1800mg EPA+ 1200mg DHA

**it should be noted that in the guideline, upper limit for omega 3 is 3000mg EPA+DHA, more than that can cause adverse effect on blood clotting or increases the chance of hemorragic stroke, although only theoretical, I suggest not taking more than 3000mg EPA+DHA.

**high omega 3 dose is usually used in many research, this is mainly to see a distinct and visible value to the parameter used, and not to be used as the guidline per se(for example, for UV protection, 3000mg of total EPA+DHA is used to prove it, basically you can get UV protection from a lower dose.)

There is a myth regarding PCB and mercury in supplements but the case is rare and just a media hysteria, I've read Doctor Chopra's book regarding supplements and nutrition(you can google him), and he said that fish oil supps are unlikely to be contaminated and much safer than eating bigger fishes(which are higher in the food chain, accumulating more mercury).

There's also "pharmaceutical grade fish oil"(and uh, by the way, not regulated by FDA anyway, they're allowed to say whatever they want and put it on a higher price), or EE(ethy ester) or TG(triglycerides) form, both forms work well and absorbed well, and the term pharmaceutical is just a nonsense to me. Although I must say, if I could buy it, I would(okay, so deep down, outside the facts I've read,I happen to believe that the pricier the better), but for those who are on the low budget, no need to worry, the "normal"(EE form) and "non-pharmaceutical" fish oil is fine.

It seems that EPA and DHA makes not so much difference in the ratio, rather, the sum of them, and they work synergically. Aim for the total of EPA+DHA 500-1000mg a day for general health.

As for the acne, there has been a non-conclusive(although with a proof) research suggesting that higher omega-3 intakes are beneficial in reducing acne severity(numbers of acnes) and the lessions(you know, the redness...) None of the participants showed an increase of acne severity after 2 months of ingesting omega-3 rich capsules.
The information regarding the amount of omega-3(EPA+DHA) used is not known, it was only said, "...taking 4 capsules of a day." Nonetheless the research is pretty astounding and a great news for acne sufferers.

The omega-3 content in the body will reach its plateau or near-maximum saturation in 3 weeks, so if you're taking fish oils and get more acnes in 1-2days or 1-2 weeks(..or in hours) when taking it, it's unreasonable to blame fish oil. It should be noted that omega 3 fish oil is not a miracle product for eradicating the existence of acnes entirely and relying it entirely is again, unreasonable, other products should be used in conjunction to reduce acnes significantly(like Benzoyl Peroxide or BHA). If everything else fails, consult to a dermatologist.

I'm not promoting any brands and try not to measure it through my own experience(although I do have it), just so I don't sound so biased and rather tell you the well-documented and researched facts. Have fun with fish oil, and don't forget to put your sunscreen on everyday for the sake of beauty!

on 12/29/2011 3:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There are so many health benefits, there is no reason why anyone should not give Omega 3 Fish Oil a try. Too many benefits for me to post all of them in this review. It's a relatively easy and inexpensive way to improve your health

I take the Vitacost brand Mega EFA Mini Gel Omega-3 EPA & DHA Fish Oil. I have a hard time swallowing large pills and most fish oils capsules are huge. 1 serving is supposed to be 4 capsules, but I take 6 daily. Besides being small, this brand has a high DHA ratio compared to other brands. High DHA is important to me since it seems to have the most benefits.

This supplement is def cumulative and it took about 2-3 months for me to start to feel physical improvement. Surprisingly when I went away last Oct and didn't take them for a week, I could have sworn I felt a decline. This could be mental, but I felt it in my joints upon my return.

The only con for me is that I have to keep them in the freezer and take them with food to avoid fish burps.

I was so excited about getting this fish oil because I heard so many positive reviews and people swearing that it got rid of breakouts in days. I have been taking the fish oil for six days now and haven't seen any positive results. My chin has not had so many terrible breakouts in god knows how long. The bumps near my mouth are so bad that they hurt especially at night when my face touches my pillow and they are definitely not pleasant to look at. I am going to stop the oil for a couple days and see what happens to my chin. Also want to add that I did not change my diet or do anything drastic just added the fish oil. I also remember something similar like this happening when I used a different brand. I broke out in the same area, on my chin and mouth area. Ughhh I guess fish oil just isn't for me. Gonna stick to eating fish instead and maybe hemp seed oil.

on 4/4/2011 6:05:00 PM

I've been taking fish oil since my 20's to help with arthritis. My nails aren't any great shakes, but my cholesterol level is pretty good, in spite of my needing to lose about 30 lbs.

However, my skin has always been good. And while I've been diligent about wearing sunscreen my entire life, and can count on one hand the number of times I've gone to bed without washing my face, two days before my 45th birthday, I got carded. I give at least partial credit to the fish oil.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HORRIBLE!!! a couple weeks into taking fish oil pills almost daily i REEKED of fish oil!! it was so sick and weird. also my scalp and t zone became more oily than it has ever been it was nuts. my face broke out in a bunch o those under the skin type pimples all around my mouth!! plz take wth caution!

on 8/27/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use Puritan's Pride Omega-3 Supreme fish oil. It contains 950 mgs. of fatty acids (DHA & EPA) per each 1360 mg. capsule of fish oil. I take 2-3 capsules daily--this much only because a cardiologist suggested fish oil as a treatment for a heart irregularity (PVCs) I was experiencing. I was amazed that the PVCs improved in three weeks and were gone by seven weeks. I had been experiencing them for over six months and prescription changes were not helping at all. I rarely have fishy burps but some people have to adjust to fish oil. Change brands if you burp too much. Purtain's has periodic Buy1/Get 3 Free sales.
My chronic acne problems did not seem to worsen or improve when I began using fish oil. Hair, nail condition, vision, mood or skin oiliness...no change. Fish oil lowers triglycerides but can raise total cholesterol in some people. That happened to me but the ratio of HDL/LDL stayed about the same. UPDATE: I have switched to the Nature Bounty 1,400mg. Fish Oil that I have only found at Costco. With this I can take one capsule daily and get much more omega acids because it is very concentrated.

on 1/27/2010 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I took an Omega 3 supplement once a day for a couple weeks and I noticed my nails were getting stonger. They weren't breaking as easily and they were also growing more. I'm not really sure if my hair got shinier, if it did, I didn't notice it, but I did notice the nails. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to try. The only reason I gave them 4 lippies is because they are soo big and a little hard to swallow. There are gummies you can also with Omega 3, but they don't contain as much as the capsule supplements.

Popular Other Products