Omega 3 supplement

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
 Omega 3 supplement
Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

It feels weird to give only one lippie to Omega 3, which is definitely healthy and necessary for optimal health. However, this review is for the supplement/ fish oil, a common ingredient in omega 3 supplements. Like others have touched on, there's a dozen reasons to take these, for beauty and for health. I'd read that omega 3/fish oil was good for the dry skin/whitehead skin type, which is usually me, so I figured this would be helpful and picked up a quality brand fish oil supplement from an organic produce store, it was called Carlson Eco-smart omega 3.

This brand was a large clear liqui-gel pill, and gave me no strange side effects such as 'fish burps'. First day or two, I thought my skin did seem brighter/more glowy, so I figured I'd found the beauty pill as most ladies here experienced it, and kept up with them.

My skin- I usually have mild/mildy-moderate breakouts, mostly in whitehead form toward the sides of my chin. Once popped, they are usually gone in a day or two, with the pinkness behind gone in another few days after that. Only thing I'd found that significantly affected my skin was birth control, so I've always figured it was hormonal, though I've tried all kinds of ways to combat it from inside and out.

A few more days into these and a small pink pimple showed up on the side of my nose, which soon became a dreaded cyst. This is not your typical pimple- it's the deep under the skin type that's big, red, swollen, and hurts. They feel like 5 pimples in one spot, and there's not much you can do to either reduce its swelling or make it come to a head. All in all, it took about two weeks for it to go away before being replaced by another one in the 'monroe' piercing spot beneath my nose, and then another one in the middle of my chin. I think one had started forming to the side of my mouth, but I'd by then stopped taking these so it wasn't as bad as the others (and it still scarred).

It probably didn't longer than a week or two to figure out that this supplement was the only thing new I'd taken and stop them. A month or two later I'm still left with a bright pink scar from each of them that probably will have to fade in more months time or be taken care of with a professional type of facial. If I remember correctly, I also had a few of these on my back as well, the kind that hurt to even lay on the wrong way.

Omega 3 is necessary for your body but this supplement is not the only way to get it. Though most of the reviews here are glowing in its favor, *please* don't ignore the dispersed reviews of other women who also broke out in disfiguring cysts. I took pills from a great brand and still experienced this, so it's not a matter of quality. Please also research alternative methods of getting your omega 3, such as from quality tuna/ salmon/ flax seeds (highest percent daily value) / and walnuts.

Here's a helpful site all about omega 3: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84
It states that research indicates that omega 3 may be better absorbed from food than from supplements anyway. Ground flax seed can easily be added to cereal in the morning for a healthy and natural way to get your omega 3- I used to do this and didn't even notice them much, they are kind of nutty. Flax seeds are a phytoestrogen though, so they may not be best for everyone (including women like me with hormonal imbalances already). The past few days I've been eating walnuts (the second highest percent daily value) in homemade granola in kefir and it's delicious. My skin is looking good- whatever little bumps were there have reduced and my overall tone is bright.

I don't want to scare anyone away from omega 3 in general, I just want to warn everyone that this sort of bad reaction from a fish oil/ omega 3 supplement is a real risk, and that you can still get the omega 3 without necessarily having to take that risk yourself. I hope this helps someone!

on 12/29/2011 3:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There are so many health benefits, there is no reason why anyone should not give Omega 3 Fish Oil a try. Too many benefits for me to post all of them in this review. It's a relatively easy and inexpensive way to improve your health

I take the Vitacost brand Mega EFA Mini Gel Omega-3 EPA & DHA Fish Oil. I have a hard time swallowing large pills and most fish oils capsules are huge. 1 serving is supposed to be 4 capsules, but I take 6 daily. Besides being small, this brand has a high DHA ratio compared to other brands. High DHA is important to me since it seems to have the most benefits.

This supplement is def cumulative and it took about 2-3 months for me to start to feel physical improvement. Surprisingly when I went away last Oct and didn't take them for a week, I could have sworn I felt a decline. This could be mental, but I felt it in my joints upon my return.

The only con for me is that I have to keep them in the freezer and take them with food to avoid fish burps.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This should be the number one beauty secret out there. While makeup can do a great deal for us, you can't beat Mother Nature and her offerings. I guess this is why my skin usually looks great. My mom had forced fed me these forever. I remember being 6 and forced to drink the Barlean's fruity liquid version. Then she changed that when I was 13, and starting giving them to me in the GNC gel pill form. I always asked why I had to drink these and she would always tell me: So you can stay a pretty and bright girl. Then she would later tell me that my dad's side has a history of cardiovascular problems, and these would help decrease my chances. I have stuck to using these ever since. They have never been absent from my medicine cabinet. As a result my I have a sharper memory than most (and have the grades to prove it lol), a lot of energy, super soft and even skin, great eye sight, and my hair grows nice and moisturized. Meaning I get no more "scab hair" when I try to stretch my relaxers. The benefits of these are way too much to put in one review. The biggest benefit, to me at least is, that I don't have to worry about eating fish often. I used to when I was younger, but now I barely have the time and the money to invest. Seafood can get expensive!

To those who don't like the pill version, there is a liquid version. In my opinion Barlean's makes the best ones. They have very delicious flavors. I used to take the kids version, and later on the smoothie flavored kinds. They're really good. I've become keen towards the gel ones because I can carry them around. I don't have to worry about spillage or missing any because I was afraid of spills. I love taking these with Country Life's Maxi Hair pills. These have a high concentration of B-12 vitamins. Since taking them both I no longer need a separate multi vitamin, and my periods hurt less. Before I was one of those girls whose periods hurt like $&^&! And it has helped with my depression. I've had it for years, but these help me feel better throughout the day. I recommend these to anybody. You've got nothing to lose, but a lot to gain as I and everyone reviewing these can tell you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HORRIBLE!!! a couple weeks into taking fish oil pills almost daily i REEKED of fish oil!! it was so sick and weird. also my scalp and t zone became more oily than it has ever been it was nuts. my face broke out in a bunch o those under the skin type pimples all around my mouth!! plz take wth caution!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Me: 22 years old, not always as healthy an eater as I should be, but avid about my exercise and always looking for things to boost energy and muscle tone.

The product: Omega 3 in general, but Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil (lemon flavor) in particular. I buy this online, usually from the Vitamin Shoppe, and take 1-2 teaspoons a day...usually about 1.5 teaspoon. The cool thing about taking liquid fish oil is you can decide exactly how much you want to take every day. I get the 16.7 ounces in a big, hefty glass bottle, for around $25 including shipping. To be honest, the taste isn't that good and the texture is, of course, oily...in fact, taking it straight up can make me gag. I usually mix it in something else. But the upside is it tastes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like fish at all. I do get some "repeating" but I wouldn't call it fish burps...more like lemon burps.

One of the best ways to gauge whether your fish oil is fresh and effective is to put some of it in the freezer. Good fish oil should NOT freeze. I'm happy to say that my Carlson's didn't freeze even when I wish it would've - swallowing a fish oil ice cube would be easier than taking it plain!

Another good thing about this product line is they come fortified with vitamin E. Omega-3 requires vitamin E to work properly or it will be unstable and ineffective. In fact, not only will it not work as well, but it will also drain vitamin E from your own body's stock to work half as well as fish oil that comes with vitamin e in the liquid/capsule.

My experience: One of the things I can say for absolute certain is my weight management is a lot easier with vitamin E. I'm a person who watches and calculates my weight and intake every single day. Even when I go through a day of junk food and laziness I record everything I ate and my weight too...and I've definitely been losing more with omega-3s. This is with exercise, yes (at least 3 miles of walking a day), but that was something I did before taking these. Less easier to measure and yet significant for me is the improvement I've seen in my skin and hair, both of which are more balanced since I've begun. The dry areas of my face are more hydrated and the oily areas are more matte. My hair suffers the same combo, with an oily, itchy scalp and brittle, dry hair. Both have come closer to a happy medium.

I can't and wouldn't say that omega-3s are a miracle, but my supplement has become an essential and integral part of my daily regimen and I can't imagine not taking them anymore!

Ingredients:

continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Although I don't have dramatic results when I take these pills, I feel healthier and I think I look a little "healthier". My skin is slightly more glowy, my nails seem stronger, my knees pop less (which used to be a problem for me being a dancer), and my body acne is almost gone. Great stuff!

on 5/14/2008 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I take one of these pills each morning, and it strongly effects the rest of my day. I feel uplifted, and don't seem to get as irritable for small dilemmas. My skin is a bit better, but where ive noticed the most difference is in my hair, the oil has eliminated some split ends and those little dry dots. My nail beds are stronger, and my periods go by like any regular day. NOOO cramps as well, none. With all of this said, I am a strong believer in this product, every one should be taking these!

on 3/22/2008 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Just had to add my 2 cents here, especially after reading such glowing reviews about this alleged "miracle" vitamin/pill/supplement. I have been taking Omega-3 daily for over a year now, mostly because a doctor told me it helps lower your cholesterol. Has it done that? I doubt it- but I honestly haven't had a blood test in a while, so I have no proof. (I will come back and update this review if it has indeed lowered my level.)
I am taking the Natrol brand, same as pictured on this site. There were times when I took 2-3 pills a day; though not lately. Women here have claimed that taking this supplement has eliminated their menstrual cramps, cleared-up their skin, reduced/eliminated wrinkles, and thickened their hair... just to name a few of Omega 3's many supposed miracles. I say, "HAH!" Either I got a sequence of bad bottles... or this has a placebo effect on a lot of gullible females... because I still have monthly cramps, my skin still breaks out, I see more and more wrinkles on my face every day, and my hair is just as fine- and graying- more rapidly than ever! Did I mention that I also still have ridges in my fingernails? How can this little, rubbery, pill be doing all these remarkable things for so many people... and nada for me? I have been taking these pills DAILY since January 2007... and I have no medical or "beauty" miracles to report. NONE. I keep taking them because I am hoping that this is helping my cholesterol levels, but besides that, nothing else has improved because of me taking these supplements. No miracle supplement for me to report... sorry!
:o\
However, if my next blood test shows improvement in my cholesterol levels... I will faithfully come back and edit this review. But I wouldn't highly recommend these as any kind of cure-all for what ails the average woman... 'cuz it obviously just isn't so.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I try take 3 of these a day, one after a meal/snack. I find that keeping them in the freezer does indeed eliminate most fish burps. As to the benefits: when I take it, my skin becomes clearer and takes on a nice dewy glow, my nails don't peel or break off several times a week, and my hair is softer and easier to control. When I don't take it, a very persistent patch of crusty skin appears at the corner of my mouth. This is not helped by any balm, exfoliant or moisturizer I've tried; only the fish oil. I keep taking it just because I don't want a scar right there on my face! I also know that when I stopped the fish oil for a couple of weeks, my blood pressure rocketed up to 150/95. Not good. Of course none of these perceived benefits can be proven scientifically, but I'm willing to believe the fish oil helps. So yes, I will repurchase. EDIT: As of 2009, I now buy this with added evening primrose oil because it cuts down on the fish burps further and has added possible health benefits of its own - namely help with female concerns.

on 10/16/2007 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm using a brand called 'Nature's Bounty' 1000mg and taking 3/day (as recommended on bottle) and I am loving the results! I also take 'Life Fitness - Hair Skin and Nails supplement' (see my reviews- it's fantastic!). I find this stuff is perfect for drier air and during the winter time (I dont use during summer because I'm oily enough then lol) My tiny little fine lines around my nose VANISH! I've used some of the most expensive skin creams known to man (including La Mer, Sothys etc) and nothing can compare to taking supplements- it comes from within- can't beat it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: I've noticed that I bruise very easily since taking these. Changing score to 2!

Popular Other Products