Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

3.9

on 10/10/2013 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I initially started taking omega 3 fish oil at the recommendation of my eye doctor to treat my dry eyes (!). I had also been struggling with adult acne for many years. About two weeks into taking fish oil my skin was so much clearer and breakouts stopped. My skin continues to remain acne free as long as i take omega 3 fish oil. I have been taking it for more than 5 years. I initially took it with flax oil & vit E, but now only take omega 3 fish oil. I take the liquid form made by nutri- supreme. This gets absorbed and digested better than capsules. When i first started taking it, i took capsules and i felt like i was burping up the flavor the rest of the day. With the liquid there is no after taste. I take about 1 1/2 tsps about 4x a week after supper. I drink juice after to mask the taste.

Also my hair got less dry and frizzy. The one who cuts my hair keeps commenting on how quickly my hair grows.

on 6/4/2013 10:04:00 PM

Glad I only took it for a short time. I made my face super oily during the day, and I am starting to have a lot clog pores and small bumps all over my face. I will never try it again....

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

However , omega 3 truly can do wonderful things to your body and your skin,
Providing you choose the right brand, and keep a healthy life style. My skin is glowing my mother asked if I was pregnant!! I asked her why and she said well I saw you eat a pickle and your skin is glowing lmao. Yes you can freeze them and take them to help with fish burps thats how I give them to my son(his needs to stay refrigerated anyway) but I give him better ones then what I have since he has psoriasis and helps with that(his are 21.99). I got the natures best brand from cvs for myself(under 10 bucks)odorless 1200mg that says controls fish burps on it, I have tried the really cheap ones I tried(under 5) are horrid they those ones made me smell lol The natures best ones I dont have that problem.
..ok here we go

Here are the main omega 3 skin benefits
- reduces wrinkles,no, it won't "make a 80 years old look like teenager in 5 days" , but it will definitely help
-Most people relay on creams only... Why not nourish your skin from inside out?
- prevent dryness, and made my skin perfectly moistureized .
- fight against skin problems like acne and eczema and helps my sons psoriasis.
- Reduce dry, flakey skin, by preventing dehydration of cells
- Promote glowing skin and improve skin tone
- Prevent sagging skin
- Make your skin plumper and more youthful
- Maintain skinís elasticity

HAIR
Essential omega-3 fatty acids moisturize your scalp from the inside. Lack of adequate amount of Omega 3 fatty acids can lead to dry scalp,dandruff,dry hair,and hair fall. My hair is longer and I get dry scalp less often

HEALTH
-Help build healthy cell membranes
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
-Provide anti-inflammatory effects on our joints
- Reduce your risk of depression
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower triglycerides
- Lower blood pressure
-Lower the risk of certain cancers and reduce prostate tumor growth
- Improve immune function
-attention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD) this has also helped my son he has this condition and it seemed to vanish after about 4 months
-joint pain I no longer hear clicking sounds when I work out

on 9/8/2011 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

feel very strongly about warning anyone else with oily acne prone skin that this us a definite no no! my skin was going well until I used this - within 2 days of use I completely broke out - along my chin and forehead big big time ! overnight really and as others have mentioned deep within the skin - seems more like sn allergic reaction - I've not used or had a different diet or amyyhmg - this oil was the only thing different - have actually noticed a fishy smell too to be honest and an unsettled stomach - so disappointed coz this was supposed to do the opposite to my skin - now I've gone 100 steps back !! hoping to clear it out of my system very soon and not feel disfigured for very long -

I was so excited about getting this fish oil because I heard so many positive reviews and people swearing that it got rid of breakouts in days. I have been taking the fish oil for six days now and haven't seen any positive results. My chin has not had so many terrible breakouts in god knows how long. The bumps near my mouth are so bad that they hurt especially at night when my face touches my pillow and they are definitely not pleasant to look at. I am going to stop the oil for a couple days and see what happens to my chin. Also want to add that I did not change my diet or do anything drastic just added the fish oil. I also remember something similar like this happening when I used a different brand. I broke out in the same area, on my chin and mouth area. Ughhh I guess fish oil just isn't for me. Gonna stick to eating fish instead and maybe hemp seed oil.

on 8/27/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use Puritan's Pride Omega-3 Supreme fish oil. It contains 950 mgs. of fatty acids (DHA & EPA) per each 1360 mg. capsule of fish oil. I take 2-3 capsules daily--this much only because a cardiologist suggested fish oil as a treatment for a heart irregularity (PVCs) I was experiencing. I was amazed that the PVCs improved in three weeks and were gone by seven weeks. I had been experiencing them for over six months and prescription changes were not helping at all. I rarely have fishy burps but some people have to adjust to fish oil. Change brands if you burp too much. Purtain's has periodic Buy1/Get 3 Free sales.
My chronic acne problems did not seem to worsen or improve when I began using fish oil. Hair, nail condition, vision, mood or skin oiliness...no change. Fish oil lowers triglycerides but can raise total cholesterol in some people. That happened to me but the ratio of HDL/LDL stayed about the same. UPDATE: I have switched to the Nature Bounty 1,400mg. Fish Oil that I have only found at Costco. With this I can take one capsule daily and get much more omega acids because it is very concentrated.

on 1/27/2010 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I was using fish oil supplements for about a month and a half and I've pretty much had it. I was hoping it would improve my skin and control my acne but it did nothing. In fact, it actually made it worse, especially my back and chest. FYI-my back and chest almost never break out, only my chest occasionally. The fish oil caused big inflammed acne all over my back, it was disgusting! I'm pissed because I always had beautiful skin on my back (I know, it's just the back but hey, summer's rolling around) and always looked forward to wearing tank tops. Now I'm embarrassed and I'm also left with ugly acne scars. I don't understand why fish oil gave me inflammed acne when it's suppose to be an anti-inflammatory component. I have a pretty healthy diet, I work out, take care of my skin and I've also tried two of the best brands, Nordic Naturals and Carlson. It seems so unfair that I take care of myself and my skin but still have bad breakouts. I noticed my breakouts were getting worse but kept using it hoping to get to a point where it would finally stop and I would just be left with great skin. There was about a week where my skin actually looked pretty good (with a lot of attention to skin care) and I thought the fish oil was finally improving my skin but unfortunately, almost like it was waiting dormant before letting me have it, I got one of the worst breakouts in a while. It was all throughout my forehead, which is an area that doesn't really break out, and along my jaw and neck. It just seems like fish oil caused me to breakout in areas that aren't prone to break out. I wanted to keep taking this in hopes that this wasn't all in vain but I honestly couldn't stand the breakouts anymore. I'm disappointed that this didn't work for me.

on 1/25/2010 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Crazy cystic acne within 3 weeks of starting the gel capsules--from one of the best vitamin companies---both my neurologists use the same formulation.

It must be a valuable supplement since so many "brain" drs take it, but if you break out from iodine in multi-vitamins, or from excessive seafood, this will put mountains on your face.

Five weeks after stopping the product and my face is still breaking out. At least it is slowing down.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I consider fish oil a beauty staple. I prefer to get nutrients from whole foods, but this is a great addition to food given that I can't afford wild caught fish as frequently as I'd like. In general when I consume a lot of essential fatty acids my dry hair looks better and my sensitive scalp is somewhat soothed. I also notice that my oily skin is a bit more balanced, and as this happens, I break out less. I do want to mention that this only happens when I consume both omega-3 and omega-6 fats, whereas a big imbalance in either direction can make matters worse. I eat hemp seeds and/or oil to help with this because they have a decent amount of omega 6, including GLA (the anti-inflammatory kind). I've also taken evening primrose for their GLA. But as long as I keep the two types of fatty acids in balance, my skin and hair looks incredibly healthy and oil/moisture is balanced.

on 1/17/2010 5:01:00 PM

I have battled acne for 17 years, and AHA and BHA products have really helped, but I've been curious about the underlying causes of acne and why there are some parts of the world where acne is virtually unheardof. I did some web research and found that 2 dietary factors are repeatedly mentioned in literature as causes/aggravators of acne: The imbalance of Omega 3s vs Omega 6s in the common western diet, and a high glycemic diet.
When my mom suggested to me in the past that my diet was a factor in my acne, I became really upset, because avoiding foods like chocolate and french fries that are commonly thought to aggravate acne didn't seem to do anything for me. But I finally realized that even what we consider to be a healthy western diet is pretty unbalanced when you look at the kind of diet we have evolved to eat. Think of how much vegetable oil is in everything we eat, which has very high ratios of Omega 6 to Omega 3 (the exact ratios depend on the type of oil, but all are not great with the exception of flax oil). Some research I read said that we have evolved to eat a diet of 1:1 or 2:1 Omega 3:Omega 6. But the ratio of the typical western diest is skewed way towards Omega 6s, which are more inflammatory fatty acids.
Also, we eat refined foods that have been stripped of fiber and therefore are high on the Glycemic index scale. You may think eating white rice or crackers or mashed potatoes is not going to aggravate your acne, but they are higher on the glycemic index than ice cream (which has fat in it which slows digestion) and therefore the sugars in these foods are quickly digested and send a rush of insulin into your bloodstream that can aggravate acne.
I have been eating a diet of steamed vegetables and brown rice, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, yams, 2% unsweetened yogurt, lentils, nuts and seeds, using only flax seed oil (and vinegar) as a garnish or salad dressing and making sure there was no extra sugar or oil in what I bought (they even put oil and sugar in trail mix!) and eat 2 fish oil capsules a day, and even without the AHA and BHA my skin has been amazingly clear. Its a hard diet to follow but I wanted to test if diet really worked, and it finally did for me. If I want a sweet desert, I eat fresh fruit or mix up some agave nectar (low glycemic sweetner) with cocoa powder and silken tofu in the blender, or use agave nectar on unsweetened yogurt.
Years ago I tried just fish oil capsules without changing my diet and it didn't improve my acne. I think you really have to go all out and be diligent about eating high in omega 3s, low in omega 6 and 9, and low on the glycemic index to see results.
Read about the imbalance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in the common western diet on the University of Maryland Medical Center webpage: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

Popular Other Products