Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

4.2

on 5/17/2017 2:15:00 PM

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine

I wasn’t going to write a review until I was at least 3/4 months into taking this product but my god, as I was applying my make up this morning I realised how, dewy, hydrated and healthy my skin looks; I am only 4 weeks in so this is a very pleasant surprise.

I take the PerriconeMD’s Omega 3 product, and yes, it’s expensive but I have zero side effects, no fishy burps, I don’t have to freeze them neither do I have any horrible skin issues as a result. It is worth paying just that little bit more for such quality in my opinion.

I haven’t noticed any faster hair growth but I don’t expect that at this stage. But my hair is noticeably shiny, more manageable and softer, sometimes too soft really. I definitely don’t need to use as much conditioner anymore which is an added bonus. There’s a significant reduction in hair fall also.

One of the best reasons is I have so much more energy to do things. I have so much more focus and concentration and I can get a lot more done at work.

I realise this is a long term solution and will continue to repurchase based on these early good results.

on 12/17/2015 2:57:00 PM

No. Nonononono.

I started taking these as it's supposedly supposed to help with hormones and acne. Literally two days after starting these pills, I broke out something fierce all over my jawline and chin area. Big red inflamed pimples, too. I *almost* persevered thinking this was just a phase, but my skin looked so bad that I couldn't do it. After stopping them (and drinking a lot of water) I immediately cleared up. I'm glad this method works for some people, but it was bad for me.

So if you start breaking right away, just stop. It's not worth it. :(

on 3/13/2012 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

There are numerous of health benefits from fish oil, and cardiac health being the primary. There has been so many rumors going on over the internet yet facts are often unwritten and mostly only hypothesis and animal studies.

I'm sure you guys and gals who are obsessed with superficial beauty already understand the benefits of fish oil for the inside health, but what about the outside?

Here I'll give you some links for reference about omega-3 and skin health:

In summary, EPA+DHA mainly protects the skin from inside out, mainly from UV damage.
There's an article regarding EFA and lipid peroxidation(or, destruction of lipid by free radical), theoretically, leads to aging, but it should be noted that it's referring to the EFA itself, the destruction of long chain fatty acids like omega 3 because of its own instability, making it the primary source for being a martyr in free radical assault, thus protecting other structures from being targetted by free radicals(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm no expert nor I am a researcher, therefore prefer to refer to the researches that have been done by experts(and well documented) instead of relying on my own experience.(Although I, myself take 2000mg of EPA+DHA every day)

If you're too lazy to read, and I understand that most people are, here is the guideline for taking omega 3:
-For cardiac health 650mg of EPA+DHA
-For weight loss, 660mg EPA+600mg DHA
-**For significant internal UV protection, 1800mg EPA+ 1200mg DHA

**it should be noted that in the guideline, upper limit for omega 3 is 3000mg EPA+DHA, more than that can cause adverse effect on blood clotting or increases the chance of hemorragic stroke, although only theoretical, I suggest not taking more than 3000mg EPA+DHA.

**high omega 3 dose is usually used in many research, this is mainly to see a distinct and visible value to the parameter used, and not to be used as the guidline per se(for example, for UV protection, 3000mg of total EPA+DHA is used to prove it, basically you can get UV protection from a lower dose.)

There is a myth regarding PCB and mercury in supplements but the case is rare and just a media hysteria, I've read Doctor Chopra's book regarding supplements and nutrition(you can google him), and he said that fish oil supps are unlikely to be contaminated and much safer than eating bigger fishes(which are higher in the food chain, accumulating more mercury).

There's also "pharmaceutical grade fish oil"(and uh, by the way, not regulated by FDA anyway, they're allowed to say whatever they want and put it on a higher price), or EE(ethy ester) or TG(triglycerides) form, both forms work well and absorbed well, and the term pharmaceutical is just a nonsense to me. Although I must say, if I could buy it, I would(okay, so deep down, outside the facts I've read,I happen to believe that the pricier the better), but for those who are on the low budget, no need to worry, the "normal"(EE form) and "non-pharmaceutical" fish oil is fine.

It seems that EPA and DHA makes not so much difference in the ratio, rather, the sum of them, and they work synergically. Aim for the total of EPA+DHA 500-1000mg a day for general health.

As for the acne, there has been a non-conclusive(although with a proof) research suggesting that higher omega-3 intakes are beneficial in reducing acne severity(numbers of acnes) and the lessions(you know, the redness...) None of the participants showed an increase of acne severity after 2 months of ingesting omega-3 rich capsules.
The information regarding the amount of omega-3(EPA+DHA) used is not known, it was only said, "...taking 4 capsules of a day." Nonetheless the research is pretty astounding and a great news for acne sufferers.

The omega-3 content in the body will reach its plateau or near-maximum saturation in 3 weeks, so if you're taking fish oils and get more acnes in 1-2days or 1-2 weeks(..or in hours) when taking it, it's unreasonable to blame fish oil. It should be noted that omega 3 fish oil is not a miracle product for eradicating the existence of acnes entirely and relying it entirely is again, unreasonable, other products should be used in conjunction to reduce acnes significantly(like Benzoyl Peroxide or BHA). If everything else fails, consult to a dermatologist.

I'm not promoting any brands and try not to measure it through my own experience(although I do have it), just so I don't sound so biased and rather tell you the well-documented and researched facts. Have fun with fish oil, and don't forget to put your sunscreen on everyday for the sake of beauty!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This should be the number one beauty secret out there. While makeup can do a great deal for us, you can't beat Mother Nature and her offerings. I guess this is why my skin usually looks great. My mom had forced fed me these forever. I remember being 6 and forced to drink the Barlean's fruity liquid version. Then she changed that when I was 13, and starting giving them to me in the GNC gel pill form. I always asked why I had to drink these and she would always tell me: So you can stay a pretty and bright girl. Then she would later tell me that my dad's side has a history of cardiovascular problems, and these would help decrease my chances. I have stuck to using these ever since. They have never been absent from my medicine cabinet. As a result my I have a sharper memory than most (and have the grades to prove it lol), a lot of energy, super soft and even skin, great eye sight, and my hair grows nice and moisturized. Meaning I get no more "scab hair" when I try to stretch my relaxers. The benefits of these are way too much to put in one review. The biggest benefit, to me at least is, that I don't have to worry about eating fish often. I used to when I was younger, but now I barely have the time and the money to invest. Seafood can get expensive!

To those who don't like the pill version, there is a liquid version. In my opinion Barlean's makes the best ones. They have very delicious flavors. I used to take the kids version, and later on the smoothie flavored kinds. They're really good. I've become keen towards the gel ones because I can carry them around. I don't have to worry about spillage or missing any because I was afraid of spills. I love taking these with Country Life's Maxi Hair pills. These have a high concentration of B-12 vitamins. Since taking them both I no longer need a separate multi vitamin, and my periods hurt less. Before I was one of those girls whose periods hurt like $&^&! And it has helped with my depression. I've had it for years, but these help me feel better throughout the day. I recommend these to anybody. You've got nothing to lose, but a lot to gain as I and everyone reviewing these can tell you.

on 5/7/2011 10:06:00 AM

Tip for people who hate the burps: Sometimes the burps are less bothersome if you take the n-3 supplement before bed.

on 4/4/2011 6:05:00 PM

I've been taking fish oil since my 20's to help with arthritis. My nails aren't any great shakes, but my cholesterol level is pretty good, in spite of my needing to lose about 30 lbs.

However, my skin has always been good. And while I've been diligent about wearing sunscreen my entire life, and can count on one hand the number of times I've gone to bed without washing my face, two days before my 45th birthday, I got carded. I give at least partial credit to the fish oil.

I take these regularly and find that along with my vitamin E they keep my skin looking in tip top condition.

on 10/16/2009 1:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I started supplementing with Carlson's Finest Fish oil (liquid) 4 months ago. Within a month my combo/oily face became super oily. I thought it was my imagination but I stopped taking it for a few weeks and lo and behold my face went back to normal. Strange but true- fish oil (and flax/primrose) makes my skin VERY oily-which I am not interested in - more oil= more breakouts:(

on 10/6/2009 12:36:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Unfortunately, this broke me out and clogged my pores. I had already been taking it for 3 weeks before it happened, so it actually took me a couple of days to figure out what I changed in my routine and this was the only thing. There were not any noticeable benefits to my skin or anything else during that time I took it. It took about a month for my skin to get back to normal after I stopped taking it. The specific brand I used was Vitafusion Omega 3 with DHA, and the DHA they use is derived from algae, not fish. Not interested in trying any other brands, though, after this bad experience.

My family has a history of heart disease, so I wanted to supplement my predominately (I do eat fish once or twice a week) vegan diet with fish oil: the omega fatty acids are supposed to be good for cardiovascular health. Anyway, after about two weeks of taking 2 pills a day, I started to break out. I was taking high quality fish oil, purchased at a local health foods store, so I don't think it was the quality, rather the oil itself. Anyway, my breakouts were predominately concentrated on my chin, and were what I consider cystic acne: deep below the skin, painful, and swollen. I was alarmed because I have never had problems with my skin besides the occasional bump or two, and I am well into my mid-20s, so I shouldn't be developing any new acne issues. I tried tons of different facial washes, to no avail; the problem was underneath my skin. I finally figured out the fish oil was probably the problem (thanks to a search on MUA), and I stopped taking the pills. Within a month was skin was clear and blemish free. Maybe one day I will take them again (if the doctor orders) but for now, I am steering clear of the supplements because of the absolute havoc it wreaked on my skin.

Popular Other Products