Omega 3 supplement

Omega 3 supplement Omega 3 supplement

4.1

on 12/17/2015 2:57:00 PM

No. Nonononono.

I started taking these as it's supposedly supposed to help with hormones and acne. Literally two days after starting these pills, I broke out something fierce all over my jawline and chin area. Big red inflamed pimples, too. I *almost* persevered thinking this was just a phase, but my skin looked so bad that I couldn't do it. After stopping them (and drinking a lot of water) I immediately cleared up. I'm glad this method works for some people, but it was bad for me.

So if you start breaking right away, just stop. It's not worth it. :(

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

It feels weird to give only one lippie to Omega 3, which is definitely healthy and necessary for optimal health. However, this review is for the supplement/ fish oil, a common ingredient in omega 3 supplements. Like others have touched on, there's a dozen reasons to take these, for beauty and for health. I'd read that omega 3/fish oil was good for the dry skin/whitehead skin type, which is usually me, so I figured this would be helpful and picked up a quality brand fish oil supplement from an organic produce store, it was called Carlson Eco-smart omega 3.

This brand was a large clear liqui-gel pill, and gave me no strange side effects such as 'fish burps'. First day or two, I thought my skin did seem brighter/more glowy, so I figured I'd found the beauty pill as most ladies here experienced it, and kept up with them.

My skin- I usually have mild/mildy-moderate breakouts, mostly in whitehead form toward the sides of my chin. Once popped, they are usually gone in a day or two, with the pinkness behind gone in another few days after that. Only thing I'd found that significantly affected my skin was birth control, so I've always figured it was hormonal, though I've tried all kinds of ways to combat it from inside and out.

A few more days into these and a small pink pimple showed up on the side of my nose, which soon became a dreaded cyst. This is not your typical pimple- it's the deep under the skin type that's big, red, swollen, and hurts. They feel like 5 pimples in one spot, and there's not much you can do to either reduce its swelling or make it come to a head. All in all, it took about two weeks for it to go away before being replaced by another one in the 'monroe' piercing spot beneath my nose, and then another one in the middle of my chin. I think one had started forming to the side of my mouth, but I'd by then stopped taking these so it wasn't as bad as the others (and it still scarred).

It probably didn't longer than a week or two to figure out that this supplement was the only thing new I'd taken and stop them. A month or two later I'm still left with a bright pink scar from each of them that probably will have to fade in more months time or be taken care of with a professional type of facial. If I remember correctly, I also had a few of these on my back as well, the kind that hurt to even lay on the wrong way.

Omega 3 is necessary for your body but this supplement is not the only way to get it. Though most of the reviews here are glowing in its favor, *please* don't ignore the dispersed reviews of other women who also broke out in disfiguring cysts. I took pills from a great brand and still experienced this, so it's not a matter of quality. Please also research alternative methods of getting your omega 3, such as from quality tuna/ salmon/ flax seeds (highest percent daily value) / and walnuts.

Here's a helpful site all about omega 3: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84
It states that research indicates that omega 3 may be better absorbed from food than from supplements anyway. Ground flax seed can easily be added to cereal in the morning for a healthy and natural way to get your omega 3- I used to do this and didn't even notice them much, they are kind of nutty. Flax seeds are a phytoestrogen though, so they may not be best for everyone (including women like me with hormonal imbalances already). The past few days I've been eating walnuts (the second highest percent daily value) in homemade granola in kefir and it's delicious. My skin is looking good- whatever little bumps were there have reduced and my overall tone is bright.

I don't want to scare anyone away from omega 3 in general, I just want to warn everyone that this sort of bad reaction from a fish oil/ omega 3 supplement is a real risk, and that you can still get the omega 3 without necessarily having to take that risk yourself. I hope this helps someone!

on 6/16/2013 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I started taking this a few months ago for a variety of reasons, including better brain function and all the other goodies that this wonderpill does. I used it consistently and noticed a lot of improvements in my mood and energy levels.

I have never had acne and don't really break out from things. My whole life I got a small zit or two before my period and that was it. I could sleep in my makeup, wear stuff that broke everyone out, and treat my skin like dirt and it would be fine. Then mysteriously a few months ago my skin went berserk. I woke up one morning with more than 10 huge zits all over my face. I had my first cysts ever on my chin and forehead. I changed up my entire skincare routine, I tried everything, I went to a dermatologist, I started tretinoin, I stopped wearing foundation, NOTHING worked. I was so depressed. After changing out every single product I used on my skin and continuing to get horrible scarring acne, I was about ready to give up. I even stopped eating dairy with no help.

Finally after months of awful breakouts and acne, I tried cutting the fish oil. I finally stopped getting breakouts within a few days of stopping, and finally several weeks later I am mostly healed on my face. I have pitted scars on my forehead and dark purple scars on my chin, as well as stringy white scar tissue around my nose. I don't have sensitivities to much of anything. No special dietary needs, "weird food things," so this was really weird for me. I have been reading around and apparently fish oil has caused a lot of people to break out. I would go into these with caution.

on 6/4/2013 10:04:00 PM

Glad I only took it for a short time. I made my face super oily during the day, and I am starting to have a lot clog pores and small bumps all over my face. I will never try it again....

on 9/8/2011 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

feel very strongly about warning anyone else with oily acne prone skin that this us a definite no no! my skin was going well until I used this - within 2 days of use I completely broke out - along my chin and forehead big big time ! overnight really and as others have mentioned deep within the skin - seems more like sn allergic reaction - I've not used or had a different diet or amyyhmg - this oil was the only thing different - have actually noticed a fishy smell too to be honest and an unsettled stomach - so disappointed coz this was supposed to do the opposite to my skin - now I've gone 100 steps back !! hoping to clear it out of my system very soon and not feel disfigured for very long -

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Dear everybody,
hey....okay i dont know for sure but i think fish oil might be the reason ive constantly kept losing my hair for the past 3 years. i had full density before. crapp. look i dont know for SURE if its causing it but its probable because of the high mercury and toxins in fish oil. ummm...i really dont know what to do. cuz i just realized that i didnt have any problems until i added fish oil. i cant believe it took me so long to realize this. im so angry. im going to do a further investigation and i promise ill get back to you guys.

also, please dont let my review stop u from taking fish oil. omega 3 is wonderful and your body absolutely needs it. please just be careful okay? be wary of anything out of the ordinary.

will get back to you in a week or so. take care <3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HORRIBLE!!! a couple weeks into taking fish oil pills almost daily i REEKED of fish oil!! it was so sick and weird. also my scalp and t zone became more oily than it has ever been it was nuts. my face broke out in a bunch o those under the skin type pimples all around my mouth!! plz take wth caution!

I've been taking Webber Naturals omega 369 fish oil supplement for about a week. I started because I wanted help to control my acne (I have very mild acne). I recently read that omega 369 supplement can actually cause acne instead of prevent it and that it's best to just take omega 3. I stopped taking the omega 369 because I've been getting tiny pimples with little white heads on them (I NEVER get these). I bought Nature's Bounty to try which is JUST omega 3 fish oil so I'm hoping to see some improvement!

on 1/25/2010 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Crazy cystic acne within 3 weeks of starting the gel capsules--from one of the best vitamin companies---both my neurologists use the same formulation.

It must be a valuable supplement since so many "brain" drs take it, but if you break out from iodine in multi-vitamins, or from excessive seafood, this will put mountains on your face.

Five weeks after stopping the product and my face is still breaking out. At least it is slowing down.

on 10/6/2009 12:36:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Unfortunately, this broke me out and clogged my pores. I had already been taking it for 3 weeks before it happened, so it actually took me a couple of days to figure out what I changed in my routine and this was the only thing. There were not any noticeable benefits to my skin or anything else during that time I took it. It took about a month for my skin to get back to normal after I stopped taking it. The specific brand I used was Vitafusion Omega 3 with DHA, and the DHA they use is derived from algae, not fish. Not interested in trying any other brands, though, after this bad experience.

Popular Other Products