Coconut Milk Hair Mask

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
No Image

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is what I use in my henna treatments--it adds extra bulk and shine to fine/dry hair.
Coconut cream is too heavy for my hair, leaving it crunchy.

If you leave either of these on too long, it gives the opposite effect and dries the hair with too much grease n 'protein' (?) that is hard to get out. A few hours max, don't leave it overnight.

It is fine for the occasional dry skin 'mask'...
Also fine for a bath add-in, but plain oils are better for me. This leaves anunpleasant film that doesn't absorb that well.

on 3/16/2014 11:05:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

My mum had extra coconut milk and told me to wash my hair with it. I thought she was kidding but I made it into a mask. Soaked my hair and then covered it with a hairwash cap for around an hour or two.

After washing it off and shampooing + conditioning as usual, my hair smelled so yummy and it was so.... sooooo soft! The first time it was as soft as a baby's hair. It's lovely and I'd do it again in the future as a treat to my hair.

on 12/5/2013 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Let me tell you gals that there is a difference between coconut cream and coconut milk. Coconut cream is derived when you mix a small quantity of water into a whole grated coconut and squeezed and sieved through a muslin cloth and the liquid is called coconut cream. Coconut milk is just a diluted version of this.
I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk just the same as many prefer to use extra virgin olive oil instead of olive oil. It is easy in the place I live to purchase freshly squeezed coconut cream because consuming curries is part of our culture. You can keep fresh coconut cream in the fridge preferably up to 3 days and if you want to keep it longer you can freeze it. What I do now is freeze it in an ice cube container and is so convenient.

As a hair mask, you can mix some coconut cream with essential oils like ylang ylang, lavender, rosemary, etc and apply it for about 2 hours and shampoo and condition as usual. But what I love the most is mix some coconut cream with my sulphate and paraben free shampoo and it gives you a nice lather. For a long time, I have not enjoy shampooing my hair because the sulphate free shampoo does not give you lather and makes your hair frizzy but coconut cream change all that. I do not even have to blow dry my hair but just let it air dry and you have so much body and bounce. I was so amazed with the result that I kept wondering how did grow so much hair out of nowhere. Coconut cream it seems will help in preventing hair shedding.

Ok, let me give you a tip in culinary in cooking curries. Chill the coconut cream in the fridge until you see a layer formed at the top. Scoop this layer out. You can even use it for you skin but in cooking you use this by gently cooking under slow fire until you see a separation of oil and then you can stir in your pounded spices. Do not add in other type of oils. When you do this, I can guarantee your curries will taste awesome.

PHEW!!! This is the longest review I have written but I hope it helps.

Okay, I had tried coconut milk some time before and I didn't see much results from the couple of times I tried it, not to mention the mess and experiencing fallout like one of the reviewers here. Was very disappointed with that remedy that I heard worked wonders. But a couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a can of coconut cream at a local asian store just to see the difference between the milk. Next day I tried it out, combed my hair so that there wouldn't be any tangles or fly aways, opened the can and scooped out the cream and just massaged big spoonfuls of it in my hair. I didn't make that much of a mess like I did with the milk because the cream is thick. Anyway, I waited 2 plus hours before taking a shower and washing my hair. I knew I had to because the cream was drying up and looking like excessive dandruff. Hopped in the shower, rinsed out the cream and shampooed, after that I waited for my hair to dry. My hair felt sooooo smooth and silky, not to mention the coconut aroma, that was really nice. Tried it again a couple of days ago experienced same good results. My hair is definitely shinier than before, darker and more easier to manage, since I'm used to having frizzier hair, that problem has gone away.
So, what I'm saying is, if you felt like coconut milk didn't really work out for you, try coconut CREAM! IT WORKS!! :)

on 5/25/2008 8:34:00 AM

Okay, so I tried this two different ways. The first time I did it just like the previous reviewer, RococoRose, and also had no change in my hair at all. Then I was talking to a friend of mine from Hawaii that said what you're supposed to do is boil the coconut milk until much of the water evaporates and you're left with clumps of white in the bottom of the pan (be sure to not leave it on for too long so it won't burn). Let it cool some and then rub that through your hair, put a cap on your head and a warm towel on top. I left it on for 1/2 an hour and then rinsed and did a conditioning wash. I have to say that after all of this and having my hair start to dry it was still very greasy, thankfully I had nowhere to go so it wasn't a big deal. But then the next morning I did the conditioning wash again and WOW!!! My hair has never looked so healthy and shiny!! I am absolutely in love with this now and plan on doing it at least once a week!! Give this a try and see if it doesn't work better than just pouring the coconut milk on your head!

Fantastic, ultra-cheap remedy for dry/damaged and color-processed hair! I find coconut cream (easier to use than coconut milk, in my opinion) at my local Asian grocery store for only 99 cents a can! A can easily lasts me a few uses. The cream is much easier to work with than coconut milk, as it spreads easier and stays in better. If you heat your hair, make sure to use a protective cap, as the cream will "melt" and start to get runny as it gets warmer. I do recommend (like the previous user) that you use this on dry hair instead of wet hair. I just rinse it out and give my hair a full shampoo in the morning. This leaves my hair so moisturized and gorgeous that I don't need to do anything but just dry my hair - no finishing cream or anything, it looks beautiful as it is! One of the best beauty secrets I've found here so far.