Avene High Protection Tinted Compact SPF 50

Avene  High Protection Tinted Compact SPF 50
High Protection Tinted Compact SPF 50

4.1

Active: Titanium Dioxide (18), Zinc Oxide (4.9). Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Talc, Squalane, Polyethylene, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Silica, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyglyceryl-3, Diisostearate, Water, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Microcrystalline Wax, Phenoxyethanol Tocopheryl Glucoside, Tribehenin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines.(per Paula's Choice; this is a cream)

on 10/27/2016 8:31:00 AM

Really good compact which provides very high spf cover, it comes in a handy case with a mirror intact, easy to use to touch up your makeup, it gives really good coverage and is quite thick but not cakey. The only down side is that it doesnt come in more shades!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love, love, love this product!!!

Bought this on a whim while on holiday and it was perfect. I have very dry fair skin and always wear foundation as I have broken veins on my cheeks. I bought the honey which gave me a lovely glow and I didn't wear foundation once!

Back home now and still using it. Looks so natural and so easy to apply. No dry skin either.

Best purchase I have ever made and will continue using it and not my Clinique even better foundation.

Please do not discontinue as for the first time ever I have found something so great!

on 6/15/2015 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Pros:
- You can get some really good coverage with this product, I didn't need concealer to cover my acne scars
- Built in sunscreen, which is fantastic

Cons:
- Limited availabilities in colour (I think there are only 2 shades)
- Does not reduce shininess/oiliness of skin. My face was pretty shiny and required powder touch ups.

My skin also reacts to this product when I use it in hot weather (small, numb bumps along my chin and forehead) so I will not be using it again. Definitely test it out before you use it!

Love the color & the coverage

I used this compact in both Beige and Honey and did not notice much of a difference in shades between the two. Honey is very very slightly darker but not by much. This sunblock has a white/pink cast on my yellow toned NC 30 skin. (Think Bobbi Brown foundation stick in 4.0 Natural). This gives good sun protection and medium coverage and can definitely take the place of foundation if it matches your skin. Although it comes in a compact this is not a powder but rather a cream type of formula. The compact itself is sturdy and practical and I did not have any problems with it breaking the few times it was dropped.

It emphasizes any flakes on skin and feels heavy and moist on my oily skin after an hour or two. My skin also gets itchy after a few hours with this on. I applied this using a fluffy brush, not the sponge that came with the compact, and that worked well to control the amount of product I was putting on.

I wish there was 1) an option for yellow-toned skin and 2) that it didn't emphasize skin flakes so much, since I use Retin-A. Exfoliating very very well helps, but when I have to get up early in the morning it would be nice to just put on something and go. I would not repurchase due to the white/pink cast. It is just too obvious and if I try to layer products on top to mask the cast it feels too heavy on my face since I have oily skin. I can see this product working well for people with combination to slightly dry skin who have a pink undertone.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Skin: decent, breaks out during menstrual cycle or stress (or wine); living in Miami so the humidity can get you here.
I tried the first Garnier BB cream, ... I broke out.
Tried the Salicyclic acid version, I broke out.
I should stick to what works, this WORKS!
I went to a pricey dermatologist in Miami Beach by recommendation of a friend.i didn't love her and she tried to sell all of her products in me, however the on good thing that came out of that was learning of this product. I worked on a racetrack with race cars and race car drivers al day around oil, grease, humidity and heat all day. I'd use this and it NEVER caused a breakout. I worked in production in the sweltering Orlando heat and on set this would just make my skin flawless, wouldn't melt off and stayed through until nighttime.
It's amazing,you won't regret it and with sunscreen how can you go wrong

This compact is reviewed well on this website
most ladies agree:
the two colors are surprisingly forgiving and look far different in the compact than when applied, while the thick texture is also a lot more blendable and easy to work with than it looks.
The sponge is perfect, just keep it clean as it picks up any dead skin cells and dirt as you are smearing it over your skin; if you are touching up during the day - crucial for actual sun protection - then assume this sponge is getting covered in bacteria, dust, etc.
the package is not pretty but who cares; it's sunscreen and it's solid and has a separate space for sponge which is excellent for not contaminating the product quite as much with each pass of the sponge.
The coverage, being non-chemical and high in spf means you really are getting a superb sun protection with no worries about absorbing nano particles or chemicals or the host of other ingredients inside the chemical sunscreen lotions.

...I will def update in two weeks when I can see for sure how it has performed under various weather conditions, workouts, hikes, etc and whether there are break out issues):
IN THE MEANTIME, here's my NOTES
what I've found the following in my past three days of using this daily:

DOES NOT apply well over my lovely skin oils (ex blend of tamanu and grapeseed oil or my jojoba oil and tamanu mix) so I have to save my tamanu for night treatment under my glycolic moisturizer. That's fine. I think a 24 hour coating of tamanu is over kill anyways.

DOES apply over a simple good lotion, your regular not-greasy day moiturizer. If you have one with sunscreen you like, well even better - now you are super protected!
I don't mind the OLAY Complete Sensitive SPF 30 (very low key chemicals; great for acne folks like me) and on its own I found it a tiny bit too much shine, but then I put a thin layer of Avene spf 50 compact tint over it and it sets to a gorgeous semi-matte finish like powder but not dry and not flat; there is def a glow and the glow improves over the day.
(a note on that Olay: I used it on my chest/neck/decolletage for two summers and saw not a single trace of tan, no tan line on my tank tops out with my dog in sun everyday. IT WORKS. REALLY works. No breakouts ever, which is amazing for me. See the reviews on that product if curious; it is highly rated on every site I've ever checked. Get it on sale at walmart or shoppers or whatever and it's a great deal. I like it better than many many higher end expensive ones out there.)

I DO blot a bit and reapply the Avene compact after say five or six hours, again, expected for a mineral sunscreen product and a good idea for spf efficacy.

I have NOT set with powder and don't want to so hopefully this won't become necessary as I get used to this. The trouble with powder for me is my eyes. So I am hoping that this avene negates the need to use powder - I used a mineral spf 20 powder all last summer but to keep the spf up, I kept reapplying and found that a) I had more "makeup look" going on than I like and b) my eyes eventually got pissed off; I get irritated dry eyes (combined with oily clogged lids so they easily get little sties which is hugely inconvenient and makes mascara or any real makeup a nightmare as I have to carefully wash the eyes sometimes in the middle of the day and not ruin the rest of my makeup or whatever !)

IF YOU HAVE sensitive eyes to fragrance, powders, chemicals etc,
THIS AVENE compact is so far AWESOME. Yep, on the eye front, I can confirm: no issues after day three, and if that changes, I'll update that comment.

IF I am at all flaky from my night treatment of glycolic and sometimes Benzoyl Peroxide, I MUST exfoliate gently and moisturize well before applying. This compact WILL look like crap if the skin is dry and rough. It DOES sit on top of raised pimples a bit and I don't love that, but it is not foundation nor is it formulated to behave that way so if you have terrible skin that is acting up, then this won't look superb, but no makeup looks good on terrible skin, as I KNOW, so you're best with high quality minimalist products like this that protect your skin so it can heal and not scar too much.

IT DOES cover scars and discolorations very well. I find it covers my red cheeks and old scars nicely. I put a dab of concealer over anything it doesn't cover and this amounts to just the tiniest drop here and there as the avene really does cover well as claimed.

I won't be able to see how effective it is on my suntan vs no suntan yet as it's just March in BC here and hardly hot out, but I am outside a lot and anticipate, as last year, to wear a sun hat often, big sunglasses, avoid super heat, and stay the same NC20 colour all through summer, maybe just a hint of a tan in August when it's hard to avoid.

OVERALL: I like the finish, the look, the colour, the coverage, the packaging, the ingredients, and the company. The price is fine as I expect this to last a while and it is absolutely no more or less than we all spend on "good" sunscreens and high end makeup, some of which turns out to be terrible or ineffective for more money. I will update in a while

UPDATE:
I stopped using it for a while to deal with some break out issues that were oil related (and I have abandoned my whole oils experiment. We acne prone gals just get sick of pimples so it's not worth the hassle when your skin is angry regardless of how "amazing" and "healing" and whatever those natural oils are claimed to be....)
I will go back to this soon and decide what it is like over my Neutrogena Rapid tone that I am digging again.

This makeup compact works very well for my dry, sensitive skin. Although the colour appears quite dark/deep in the compact, the coverage is actually quite sheer. I have fair skin, and the beige colour worked very well for me. It's nice to have substantial sunscreen coverage included in a foundation that still has a pleasant consistency.

on 1/20/2014 8:49:00 PM

Me gusta mucho este compacto con color. La única contra que le veo es la escasa variedad de tonos, lo bueno es que es de subtono beige (no naranja como los protectores con color fluidos de Avéne), pero el mas claro es muy claro para mí y éste color (Doré) es un poco oscuro.
Hay que controlar la aplicación con la esponja que trae porque se carga mucho y puede quedar con mucho efecto "mascarita", pero a pesar de eso (recordemos que es un protector solar con color y no una base) su acabado es aterciopelado, ofrece una protección segura y se siente MUY confortable en la piel.
Es ideal para pieles sensibles porque es muy confortable, es hipoalergénico, no comedogénico y trae agua termal.
No lo compraría de nuevo por los escasos tonos, quizás la próxima pruebe con Shiseido o Bioderma a ver si se adaptan mejor a mi color de piel.

on 1/12/2015 4:38:00 AM

I bought this a little late into the summer, after I had darkened already in the color beige, which was too ashy on my skin at the time. Now that I'm back to my usual color, I feel it will match better. I read on Paula's Choice that this is a good product for sun protection so I decided to keep it, also it doesn't expire for another 2 years. The coverage is sheer but natural and the spf is high enough so you wouldn't have to worry. I would use this for casual use when I don't want to wear makeup but don't want to be bare-faced.