Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

3.5

on 1/27/2013 5:28:00 PM

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation is (or was) a truly amazing product with build-able coverage and a better match for my skin tone, in Creamy Natural, than any other product I have tried. Unfortunately, this foundation was destroyed in the market by its poor brush-on squeeze applicator, which always began to break (leak) about half way through the bottle. The secret to successful application, I found, was to pull off the brush from day one and just dispense it in that manner. Sadly, the applicator was just frustrating enough that many people, including myself initially, did not get past their frustration with the product's packaging to appreciate the formula itself and this frustration pretty much skewed any and all reviews for this product online from Day One.

I used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation for my wedding and while I appreciated the staying power it really felt and looked, due to both the color and texture, very artificial. In fact, the gal who sold it to me suggested I use a primer but doing so with any foundation, in my experience, only alters a foundation's staying power for the worse. For this reason, I am of the belief that a decent foundation ought to deliver a pleasing texture without having to layer on multiple products.

What I like about this PF product, by contrast, is that it provides department store foundation staying power but without the unnatural or heavy feel. Notably, it did not transfer to my cell phone like so many "luminous" or tinted moisturizing (anti-aging) formulas, yielding instead a neutral finish with the blemish, wrinkle and discoloration concealing power I was looking for. In fact, I would say this is the first foundation I have used that offers better-than-average coverage yet somehow manages to remain natural without an overt made-up finish. This is also the first foundation I have used on my combination skin where I have found it actually looks better by the end of the day than it did starting out. That NEVER happens with any other product I've owned.

Needless to say, I am seriously disappointed that nobody is stocking CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation any more. Although the manufacturer, who does not officially list it at this time as "discontinued", still stocks this product, what actually occurs is that buyers are redirected to check out through Drugstore.com, at which point one is informed that the product is no longer available.

In comparing the new line of PF YouthWear products to this line, there is very little overlap. From what I recall, the YouthWear foundation does not have GABA or any other "cosmecutical" ingredient. The new formula/product does not claim to minimize wrinkles, just the "appearance" (which is subjective, regardless).

As drugstore brands go, Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation was in a class by itself. I was able to ditch under-eye concealer and it did not dry my skin or break me out with regular use. When applied without the brush in the way I typically apply foundation it had no streaky, cakey, plastic, pasty, waxy or greasy "issues" (I also believing that *not* using the same brush every day to apply it made the application of this product more sanitary, probably another reason I broke out less). In conclusion, absolutely every other foundation I have tried is flawed in one of the aforementioned ways but not this one. In fact, the worse I can say other than the brush-on applicator is that it had a mouthful of a name.

on 8/1/2010 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The first time I bought this, I hated it but now I know why. The product looked hard to spread and the brush was too hard to apply. Also, the shade was off. The product that I got before was an old product and that is why the product was completely useless. I gave this another try because of the ingredients. My skin responds so well to GABA. I am NC 30 and the Natural Beige shade was a perfect match. I apply this without a primer under my bronzer and my skin looks and feels great. I had these little break outs around my lower lip that disappeared after starting using this. Overall, this is a great product but you need to make sure that it is not old and it has not been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

on 7/15/2008 5:21:00 PM

I really expected to hate this product because of the terrible reviews. In fact I almost returned it without even trying it because I was so sure I would hate it. I don't though. I actually like it pretty well so far. It has medium coverage and will not completely cover blemishes, but I think it looks very nice. It's not heavy like I expected it to be. It doesn't feel or look masklike to me. I did notice however that it WILL grab a hold of the powder you use over it and therefore using too much powder gave me the mask look. I recommend a translucent powder with this product. My skin looks really smooth and it actually makes my pores look really small. It's a very humid day today in Texas and my hair is frizzy, but my makeup looks just fine. I will wear this for a few days and give an update, but so far I think this stuff is super and am hoping that it can be my HG.
**UPDATE: I used this foundation for about a week and took it back. It felt nice and looked ok, but after one week my blemish free skin looked like a Totino's Pepperoni Pizza. I am NOT happy about this. I work very hard to keep my skin clear only to have it destroyed by one week of this foundation. Also, the crazy thing is, I swear it actually accentuated my wrinkles! I'm only 30 and am really not wrinkly but noticed myself seeing lots of new wrinkles while wearing this foundation. I thought it was just because I was focused on them since I was using a wrinkle fighting foundation, but now that I've quit using it for about a week I never see those wrinkles anymore. So, it made me look old and pimply. ICK! Never again!

I got the color in Sand Beige and bought this when summer was just starting. It was a little bit darker than my usual NC30/35 color, but it was perfect for the summer. Towards the end of my bottle, the color fit perfectly.

Even though I do not have tons of wrinkles, I got this because all of my other foundation at the time would settle in harsh lines, making me appear older than my actual years. This product did what I wanted in that aspect.

I think this product helped my skin from getting too darker. I actually felt my skin get a little lighter.

I kinda wished I had gotten the Wrinkle Therapy Powder, but I'm a student. I already had a good bottle of powder sitting at home and didn't need to spend money elsewhere, but I wonder if that would helped set my makeup better?

on 4/29/2007 9:49:00 AM

This has to be one of the worst, if not THE WORST, foundations I have ever used! I'm in my mid-40s and thought I could benefit from this foundation. Instead of smoothing out the fine lines and pores, it only accentuated them, making them look bigger and deeper. And talk about a dry, pasty, cakey look! I always always use a very light hand with makeup, especially since I hit 40. I've found that lighter always looks better, but with this foundation, no matter how light I apply it, it looks heavy, thick, & cakey -- just absolutely awful. I tried applying it with every tool I had available to me -- the brush attached to the tube, with a sponge, my fingertips -- even my MAC and Valerie Beverly Hills foundation brushes didn't help! Using over primer didn't help either. Once again, I fell for the unique concept and packaging that PF is famous for and was once again, I was majorly disappointed!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is an interesting idea for a makeup--adding GABA for wrinkles. It does a decent job of taking care of the creases. Because it is such a thick liquid, I usually only apply it to areas of my face where there are creases. You do not have to apply a lot. In fact, it looks much better if you apply this makeup sparingly--for heavens sake, use a sponge, not the silly brush that's attached. I haven't had ANY of the problems of the reviewers below. It doesn't settle into my fine lines, either. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good product IF you want some boost your fight against wrinkles. If you are young (20s, early 30s), please don't buy it. It's not made for you.