Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

2.8

on 1/27/2013 5:28:00 PM

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation is (or was) a truly amazing product with build-able coverage and a better match for my skin tone, in Creamy Natural, than any other product I have tried. Unfortunately, this foundation was destroyed in the market by its poor brush-on squeeze applicator, which always began to break (leak) about half way through the bottle. The secret to successful application, I found, was to pull off the brush from day one and just dispense it in that manner. Sadly, the applicator was just frustrating enough that many people, including myself initially, did not get past their frustration with the product's packaging to appreciate the formula itself and this frustration pretty much skewed any and all reviews for this product online from Day One.

I used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation for my wedding and while I appreciated the staying power it really felt and looked, due to both the color and texture, very artificial. In fact, the gal who sold it to me suggested I use a primer but doing so with any foundation, in my experience, only alters a foundation's staying power for the worse. For this reason, I am of the belief that a decent foundation ought to deliver a pleasing texture without having to layer on multiple products.

What I like about this PF product, by contrast, is that it provides department store foundation staying power but without the unnatural or heavy feel. Notably, it did not transfer to my cell phone like so many "luminous" or tinted moisturizing (anti-aging) formulas, yielding instead a neutral finish with the blemish, wrinkle and discoloration concealing power I was looking for. In fact, I would say this is the first foundation I have used that offers better-than-average coverage yet somehow manages to remain natural without an overt made-up finish. This is also the first foundation I have used on my combination skin where I have found it actually looks better by the end of the day than it did starting out. That NEVER happens with any other product I've owned.

Needless to say, I am seriously disappointed that nobody is stocking CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation any more. Although the manufacturer, who does not officially list it at this time as "discontinued", still stocks this product, what actually occurs is that buyers are redirected to check out through Drugstore.com, at which point one is informed that the product is no longer available.

In comparing the new line of PF YouthWear products to this line, there is very little overlap. From what I recall, the YouthWear foundation does not have GABA or any other "cosmecutical" ingredient. The new formula/product does not claim to minimize wrinkles, just the "appearance" (which is subjective, regardless).

As drugstore brands go, Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation was in a class by itself. I was able to ditch under-eye concealer and it did not dry my skin or break me out with regular use. When applied without the brush in the way I typically apply foundation it had no streaky, cakey, plastic, pasty, waxy or greasy "issues" (I also believing that *not* using the same brush every day to apply it made the application of this product more sanitary, probably another reason I broke out less). In conclusion, absolutely every other foundation I have tried is flawed in one of the aforementioned ways but not this one. In fact, the worse I can say other than the brush-on applicator is that it had a mouthful of a name.

on 12/7/2011 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral

I am here to give this wonderful product justice! I don't understand the bad reviews at all. CoverTox is great! I am actually a teenager believe it or not! So I don't know about the wrinkle part, but for coverage, it's excellent! I had 2 zits that were at a head and I couldn't resist popping them :( So anyways they looked pretty bad after doing so, but they did get flattened out, so it was easy to conceal them with this gem. The brush makes the application go on smoother and blend for a 'no makeup on' look. The shade I used was in sand beige. It matches me perfectly. I actually stole it out of my mom's makeup drawer when I was in a dilemma and am so glad I did! I guarantee she will be missing this one! P.S. I know she uses it to conceal mainly, and to use for under her eyes for fine linesand she loves it and she looks sooo young for her age! So its great for all ages! Must buy at the drugstore!

on 8/1/2010 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The first time I bought this, I hated it but now I know why. The product looked hard to spread and the brush was too hard to apply. Also, the shade was off. The product that I got before was an old product and that is why the product was completely useless. I gave this another try because of the ingredients. My skin responds so well to GABA. I am NC 30 and the Natural Beige shade was a perfect match. I apply this without a primer under my bronzer and my skin looks and feels great. I had these little break outs around my lower lip that disappeared after starting using this. Overall, this is a great product but you need to make sure that it is not old and it has not been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

on 5/10/2009 8:23:00 PM

When I moved from Michigan to South Florida I found that my regular foundation now felt like a mask and I started breaking out due to blocked pores. After trying maybe a dozen different types of foundation and getting little success I tried covertoxten and found the foundation that really worked for me. It provides an even coverage which is light and doesn't make my skin feel like it is covered with a layer of plastic. I really love this product however I hate the container. The brush always starts leaking at the base and only about 2/3 of the foundation can be squeezed out of the container. Also when using a powder over it if not used carefully it tends to cake. I will continue to use this product because it works for me in this (extremely humid) climate.

Great for deep forehead wrinkles and brow furrows. Also seemed to finally give me a poreless, velvet complexion. The trick is to sleep with it on. Then wash face in morning and don't wear it during the day. Nothing else has ever helped my forehead lines or my oily skin and large pores. I do not wear this during day, I don't have too, this has literally changed the look of my face and I don't even need make up in the day time. I wish I had found it years earlier, I think my forehead and brow lines would never have progressed to the depth they are now.

I am a fair skinned/olive complected combo skin having freak when it comes to foundations.

Having hit my 30's I started to notice fine lines and wanted to start doing all I could to combat them as well as hide and or correct dark eye circles that are inevitable in being a mother.

I picked up the foundation and the concealor and used them both today for the first time. I wanted to wait a couple of hours to see how it was wearing etc. before reviewing.

So far so good! I have had no issues with facial "freezing" or caking(I made sure to use a good mouturizer underneath) and really didn't have any issues in application.

The tube didn't leak near the brush, and I found taht when using it the same as you would any foundation brush presented no issues.

All in all I would say I would 100% repurchase.

on 7/15/2007 10:20:00 PM

It has been off the market for a long time now, but CoverToxTen50 sort of reminds of a foundation once made by Coty called Chronologix. I bought this PF foundation in Buff Beige and it's the perfect color for my skin tone. Use this product sparingly, otherwise, it will emphasize your pores and wrinkles rather than diminish them. A small amount will go a long way. I think it covers nicely. I dislike the packaging. When I squeezed out the foundation, it leaked around the edge of the tube. The brush that is attached to the tube is useless, but as far as the foundation itself, I like it. Just use a light hand.

I got the color in Sand Beige and bought this when summer was just starting. It was a little bit darker than my usual NC30/35 color, but it was perfect for the summer. Towards the end of my bottle, the color fit perfectly.

Even though I do not have tons of wrinkles, I got this because all of my other foundation at the time would settle in harsh lines, making me appear older than my actual years. This product did what I wanted in that aspect.

I think this product helped my skin from getting too darker. I actually felt my skin get a little lighter.

I kinda wished I had gotten the Wrinkle Therapy Powder, but I'm a student. I already had a good bottle of powder sitting at home and didn't need to spend money elsewhere, but I wonder if that would helped set my makeup better?

Skin: Oily, Other, Neutral

EDIT. I no longer use this foundation and have reverted to my favorite Maybelline Stay Pur powder foundation instead. After giving this a break for awhile, I tried it again and realized, even when applied sparingly, how incredibly mask like and "made up" it looks. Please disregard everything that I wrote before. When somebody asks you what makeup you're wearing, and doesn't say....."you have nice skin", you KNOW it's not a good look. Still use the L'Oreal mineral glow loose powder mentioned below as my blush.....a dead ringer for BE clear radiance, and actually apples much more evenly.

I agree that the packaging of this foundation leaves a lot to be desired. But if you use just a TINY bit of this foundation, I think the results are terrific. I am in my fifties, have good skin, and this makes it look even better. In fact, a woman I've known for years and who has never commented on my makeup actually asked me what I was wearing because she said my skin looked so even toned. I top it off with L'oreal's all over mineral color in either nude glow or pink glow, used as blush. I'm quite fair, so I chose the "classic ivory" in this foundation. . If you squeeze just a bit on the brush and then put your fingers in the product and apply it to your face with your fingers, being careful to MOISTURIZE first (I use Banana Boat Sunscreen), I think this foundation does a good job. I'm pleased with it, and I think part of the problem with this foundation may be if you're using too much.

I bought this only because it was packaged with the concealer that I wanted to try, well the concealer is nothing note-worthy, but this foundation has some benefits. the first time I tried it, I hated it. It was too thick, the applicator worked horribly, and it seemed to make my pores look huge! I wasn't leaving the house, so I left it on. Ten minutes later, I looked in the mirror and any creases or wrinkles I had were "plumped". Now I have learned to use my Laura Mercier foundation on my entire face and just squeeze a tiny bit of this out of the tube and apply to problem areas, such as the "11" on my forehead and my marionette lines. It is not a miracle product, but for anyone with slight creases, it seems to help.