Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

2.8

on 4/16/2008 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Quite possibly the most sucktacular foundation I've ever tried.

First of all, the price. I paid thirteen dollars for this crap and you better believe I took it back to the store and got my money back.

Second, the attached brush. Since I'd done my MUA homework, I knew that the brush was pretty much useless, so once I got home I immediately unscrewed the brush from the base (really not hard at all, you just twist it a few times while pulling) and put it in the cabinet. The makeup itself flows out of a few holes with a plug in the center, so it's easy to just dab some on a makeup wedge and apply.

Last, the wear. The color I chose, Classic Ivory, was the lightest and was an okay match. It didn't give my face much color or brightness...it's pretty much a neutral ivory color, not warm nor cool (I have oily, PPP, very cool-toned skin with no yellow tones whatsoever). I applied some one evening at home over clean skin and the few hours that I had it on, it wore okay. No nasties or shinies or whatever (I wore Corn Silk loose powder on top to set it). I didn't really notice a great deal of wrinkle reduction, but then I've been blessed with a "young" look so I don't have a lot of wrinkles to start with. People always think I'm younger than I am (I am 38), but I've started to notice little lines at the corners of my eyes and on my forehead that I'd just like to cover or camouflage if at all possible. While this did cover nicely, I didn't notice any huge, remarkable difference. The texture of my skin really didn't change.

The next day, I applied around noon and went about my day. I would like to point out that I did not apply a ton of this...in fact, I was pretty conservative in my application, considering I was using a makeup wedge and could therefore more accurately control how much product I was using than if I was using the brush. I again used the Corn Silk powder to set it. After a few hours, I noticed the foundation was starting to break down around my nose, and I was getting the dreaded "spotty nose syndrome". You know, where the foundation wears off on the skin of your nose but stays in the pores, leaving a spotty look. I looked in the mirror while outside, and even with a very conservative application this looked cakey after a few hours. By the end of the day, my face was an oily mess, with the foundation breaking down and looking splotchy and goopy.

But the best was yet to come. That night, I noticed a weird red, bumpy rash along the right side of my jawline, extending down onto my neck area under my chin. The next morning, the red bumps were still there, but they were joined by their friends the pimples, which had appeared all over my chin and cheeks. That sealed it...I was going to try it with a primer underneath, or trying it with the matching pressed powder, but if it's going to give me zits and a rash then forget it. I work too hard to keep my skin clear to have some stupid, nasty foundation ruin it.

Oh yeah, and about SPF? Putting SPF in makeup is just to fool consumers into buying a product. You can't put on makeup with SPF and expect it to protect you all day. In fact, you can't put on SPF lotion/cream alone once a day and expect it to protect you all day. You have to reapply during the day for continuous protection. So unless you're prepared to take off all your foundation at least once a day, possibly more, and reapply, then SPF is pretty much useless in makeup. Carry an umbrella or wear a hat.

If it works for you, great, but it didn't work at all for me. I would say, if this is a foundation that works for you, just take off the stupid brush (why does PF resort to such gimmicks, anyway?) and use a makeup wedge. Once you've applied, stick the square fat part of the makeup wedge over the hole and screw the lid back on, with the skinny flat part scrunched up in the lid. This keeps the foundation from leaking all over the place.

on 1/23/2007 11:13:00 PM

This foundation does what it claims--it does diminish the appearance of wrinkles because it contains GABA, the key ingredient in all those ice/freeze creams. Unfortunately, after the foundation dries, you're left with a very stiff Kabuki-like face, which is obviously made-up and unnatural. The lightest shade--Porcelain Ivory, I think--looks dark in the bottle but actually runs quite pale, which makes me think the formula has a lot of titanium dioxide in it. In fact, this foundation's texture remind me quite a bit of Illuminare liquid mineral foundation, which, too, comes in a very pale shade. To warm the foundation up and give it a more natural appearance, I blended some moisturizer into it and that seemed to do the trick. I obtained a semi-matte foundation with excellent coverage that seemed to suppress the lines running from my nose to my mouth.

I must mention this product's container because, like those of many PF products, it's sort of weird. The cap has a foundation brush attached, which is not the world's greatest idea because you have to leave the foundation uncapped in order to wash the brush after each use.

I purchased this product because it was free with rebate and unless PF changes the packaging, I don't plan to repurchase. Neverless, if you play with this foundation and add a little primer or moisturizer, you can get excellent coverage and the benefit of the GABA, which is a premium ingredient. I tried it around my eyes and it was a better concealer than PF's CoverTox ten concealer, which was far too thin for my taste.

on 1/27/2013 5:28:00 PM

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation is (or was) a truly amazing product with build-able coverage and a better match for my skin tone, in Creamy Natural, than any other product I have tried. Unfortunately, this foundation was destroyed in the market by its poor brush-on squeeze applicator, which always began to break (leak) about half way through the bottle. The secret to successful application, I found, was to pull off the brush from day one and just dispense it in that manner. Sadly, the applicator was just frustrating enough that many people, including myself initially, did not get past their frustration with the product's packaging to appreciate the formula itself and this frustration pretty much skewed any and all reviews for this product online from Day One.

I used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation for my wedding and while I appreciated the staying power it really felt and looked, due to both the color and texture, very artificial. In fact, the gal who sold it to me suggested I use a primer but doing so with any foundation, in my experience, only alters a foundation's staying power for the worse. For this reason, I am of the belief that a decent foundation ought to deliver a pleasing texture without having to layer on multiple products.

What I like about this PF product, by contrast, is that it provides department store foundation staying power but without the unnatural or heavy feel. Notably, it did not transfer to my cell phone like so many "luminous" or tinted moisturizing (anti-aging) formulas, yielding instead a neutral finish with the blemish, wrinkle and discoloration concealing power I was looking for. In fact, I would say this is the first foundation I have used that offers better-than-average coverage yet somehow manages to remain natural without an overt made-up finish. This is also the first foundation I have used on my combination skin where I have found it actually looks better by the end of the day than it did starting out. That NEVER happens with any other product I've owned.

Needless to say, I am seriously disappointed that nobody is stocking CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation any more. Although the manufacturer, who does not officially list it at this time as "discontinued", still stocks this product, what actually occurs is that buyers are redirected to check out through Drugstore.com, at which point one is informed that the product is no longer available.

In comparing the new line of PF YouthWear products to this line, there is very little overlap. From what I recall, the YouthWear foundation does not have GABA or any other "cosmecutical" ingredient. The new formula/product does not claim to minimize wrinkles, just the "appearance" (which is subjective, regardless).

As drugstore brands go, Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation was in a class by itself. I was able to ditch under-eye concealer and it did not dry my skin or break me out with regular use. When applied without the brush in the way I typically apply foundation it had no streaky, cakey, plastic, pasty, waxy or greasy "issues" (I also believing that *not* using the same brush every day to apply it made the application of this product more sanitary, probably another reason I broke out less). In conclusion, absolutely every other foundation I have tried is flawed in one of the aforementioned ways but not this one. In fact, the worse I can say other than the brush-on applicator is that it had a mouthful of a name.

on 8/1/2010 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The first time I bought this, I hated it but now I know why. The product looked hard to spread and the brush was too hard to apply. Also, the shade was off. The product that I got before was an old product and that is why the product was completely useless. I gave this another try because of the ingredients. My skin responds so well to GABA. I am NC 30 and the Natural Beige shade was a perfect match. I apply this without a primer under my bronzer and my skin looks and feels great. I had these little break outs around my lower lip that disappeared after starting using this. Overall, this is a great product but you need to make sure that it is not old and it has not been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

on 5/10/2009 8:23:00 PM

When I moved from Michigan to South Florida I found that my regular foundation now felt like a mask and I started breaking out due to blocked pores. After trying maybe a dozen different types of foundation and getting little success I tried covertoxten and found the foundation that really worked for me. It provides an even coverage which is light and doesn't make my skin feel like it is covered with a layer of plastic. I really love this product however I hate the container. The brush always starts leaking at the base and only about 2/3 of the foundation can be squeezed out of the container. Also when using a powder over it if not used carefully it tends to cake. I will continue to use this product because it works for me in this (extremely humid) climate.

on 1/7/2009 11:58:00 PM

This is the WORST foundation ever! Found this at 40% off at Long's drugstore and thought I'd give it a try. My usual HG Revlon colorstay was out of my color. My skins been looking a little dry. Probably because of having to use my heater more than ever due to record cold temps in Southern Calif (35 at night!). ANYWAY when I attempted to squeeze out the product the tube split below the lame application brush. The coverage was minimal and I made the mistake of wearing it all day. My face was an oily mess by the end of the day and 3 days latter I have 5 huge cystic zits. Run away from this toxic product!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Ok, I am a sucker for makeup products with anti-aging ingredients. I knew better but I bought this anyway. First the packaging it is in is terrible. A tube of foundation with an attached applicator is oh so unsantitary. But even if it did not have the attached brush, the foundation still looks fake no matter how I apply it. Gives little to no coverage. The pictures on the packaging are great. Look at the results you will get in ... 10 minutes!! And then after 10 days, you will be a new person. Absolutely nothing happens to my skin from using this. The active wrinkle fighters used in this are hexapeptide-6 and vitamin C both of which degrade rapidly. Which makes me ponder why this is in a tube that always stays open due to the attached brush. ( yes, you can put the lid back on the brush but the tube opening is still getting way too much air exposure. Worst purchase I've made in a year.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

DRYING!

I bought this only because it was packaged with the concealer that I wanted to try, well the concealer is nothing note-worthy, but this foundation has some benefits. the first time I tried it, I hated it. It was too thick, the applicator worked horribly, and it seemed to make my pores look huge! I wasn't leaving the house, so I left it on. Ten minutes later, I looked in the mirror and any creases or wrinkles I had were "plumped". Now I have learned to use my Laura Mercier foundation on my entire face and just squeeze a tiny bit of this out of the tube and apply to problem areas, such as the "11" on my forehead and my marionette lines. It is not a miracle product, but for anyone with slight creases, it seems to help.

on 4/29/2007 7:56:00 PM

So far I like this product. I've tried a lot of foundations and find most of them have problems, but I have pale skin and look very bare and unpolished with nothing. Plus, I have some days that I really seem to furrow my brow, although I have few wrinkles and I'm in my 40's. I bought this after having one of those days. I find this product really does relax my involuntary muscle contortions. I also use Freeze 24/7 on problem areas, but this foundation does more. It is thick, I'll give you that. I use just a drop or two on my whole face. It and it really lasts. It covers almost too well, as I like to see my natural skin texture. However, it makes my skin look more 'pillowy" if that makes any sense and smooth but not shiny. I wear a lot of sunblock and most foundations are too greasy (who determined that everyone over 25 has dry, dry skin. This is an urban myth). This one goes on feeling like it will be greasy, but it firms up and I don't find it to be any more mask-like than other foundations with medium to full coverage. I've checked it in several light conditions and outdoors and it doesn't look shocking in any of those conditions. At first I bought Classic Ivory (very light, yellow) on the advice of a clerk at ulta. I thought this would be too light and it was. I next got Buff Beige (light and neutral). This matches really well. I'm about NC 20, but most NC 20 foundations are too yellow and it ages me. Now Physicians Formula needs to come out with a thinner consistency with the same concentration of GABA. The packaging is weird; I use the brush just in corners that are hard to reach. EDIT: Still wearing this almost every day. Went on a vacation and noticed no difference in this product in outdoor light. the dumb brush fell off, but it is easier touse now because there is a small stem the foundations goes through. however, it leaks but only inside the cap. Other foundations are definitely not as lifting and plumping as this one.