Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

Filtered by age: 36-43
Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

3.0

on 1/27/2013 5:28:00 PM

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation is (or was) a truly amazing product with build-able coverage and a better match for my skin tone, in Creamy Natural, than any other product I have tried. Unfortunately, this foundation was destroyed in the market by its poor brush-on squeeze applicator, which always began to break (leak) about half way through the bottle. The secret to successful application, I found, was to pull off the brush from day one and just dispense it in that manner. Sadly, the applicator was just frustrating enough that many people, including myself initially, did not get past their frustration with the product's packaging to appreciate the formula itself and this frustration pretty much skewed any and all reviews for this product online from Day One.

I used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation for my wedding and while I appreciated the staying power it really felt and looked, due to both the color and texture, very artificial. In fact, the gal who sold it to me suggested I use a primer but doing so with any foundation, in my experience, only alters a foundation's staying power for the worse. For this reason, I am of the belief that a decent foundation ought to deliver a pleasing texture without having to layer on multiple products.

What I like about this PF product, by contrast, is that it provides department store foundation staying power but without the unnatural or heavy feel. Notably, it did not transfer to my cell phone like so many "luminous" or tinted moisturizing (anti-aging) formulas, yielding instead a neutral finish with the blemish, wrinkle and discoloration concealing power I was looking for. In fact, I would say this is the first foundation I have used that offers better-than-average coverage yet somehow manages to remain natural without an overt made-up finish. This is also the first foundation I have used on my combination skin where I have found it actually looks better by the end of the day than it did starting out. That NEVER happens with any other product I've owned.

Needless to say, I am seriously disappointed that nobody is stocking CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation any more. Although the manufacturer, who does not officially list it at this time as "discontinued", still stocks this product, what actually occurs is that buyers are redirected to check out through Drugstore.com, at which point one is informed that the product is no longer available.

In comparing the new line of PF YouthWear products to this line, there is very little overlap. From what I recall, the YouthWear foundation does not have GABA or any other "cosmecutical" ingredient. The new formula/product does not claim to minimize wrinkles, just the "appearance" (which is subjective, regardless).

As drugstore brands go, Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation was in a class by itself. I was able to ditch under-eye concealer and it did not dry my skin or break me out with regular use. When applied without the brush in the way I typically apply foundation it had no streaky, cakey, plastic, pasty, waxy or greasy "issues" (I also believing that *not* using the same brush every day to apply it made the application of this product more sanitary, probably another reason I broke out less). In conclusion, absolutely every other foundation I have tried is flawed in one of the aforementioned ways but not this one. In fact, the worse I can say other than the brush-on applicator is that it had a mouthful of a name.

on 8/1/2010 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The first time I bought this, I hated it but now I know why. The product looked hard to spread and the brush was too hard to apply. Also, the shade was off. The product that I got before was an old product and that is why the product was completely useless. I gave this another try because of the ingredients. My skin responds so well to GABA. I am NC 30 and the Natural Beige shade was a perfect match. I apply this without a primer under my bronzer and my skin looks and feels great. I had these little break outs around my lower lip that disappeared after starting using this. Overall, this is a great product but you need to make sure that it is not old and it has not been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

on 4/16/2008 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Quite possibly the most sucktacular foundation I've ever tried.

First of all, the price. I paid thirteen dollars for this crap and you better believe I took it back to the store and got my money back.

Second, the attached brush. Since I'd done my MUA homework, I knew that the brush was pretty much useless, so once I got home I immediately unscrewed the brush from the base (really not hard at all, you just twist it a few times while pulling) and put it in the cabinet. The makeup itself flows out of a few holes with a plug in the center, so it's easy to just dab some on a makeup wedge and apply.

Last, the wear. The color I chose, Classic Ivory, was the lightest and was an okay match. It didn't give my face much color or brightness...it's pretty much a neutral ivory color, not warm nor cool (I have oily, PPP, very cool-toned skin with no yellow tones whatsoever). I applied some one evening at home over clean skin and the few hours that I had it on, it wore okay. No nasties or shinies or whatever (I wore Corn Silk loose powder on top to set it). I didn't really notice a great deal of wrinkle reduction, but then I've been blessed with a "young" look so I don't have a lot of wrinkles to start with. People always think I'm younger than I am (I am 38), but I've started to notice little lines at the corners of my eyes and on my forehead that I'd just like to cover or camouflage if at all possible. While this did cover nicely, I didn't notice any huge, remarkable difference. The texture of my skin really didn't change.

The next day, I applied around noon and went about my day. I would like to point out that I did not apply a ton of this...in fact, I was pretty conservative in my application, considering I was using a makeup wedge and could therefore more accurately control how much product I was using than if I was using the brush. I again used the Corn Silk powder to set it. After a few hours, I noticed the foundation was starting to break down around my nose, and I was getting the dreaded "spotty nose syndrome". You know, where the foundation wears off on the skin of your nose but stays in the pores, leaving a spotty look. I looked in the mirror while outside, and even with a very conservative application this looked cakey after a few hours. By the end of the day, my face was an oily mess, with the foundation breaking down and looking splotchy and goopy.

But the best was yet to come. That night, I noticed a weird red, bumpy rash along the right side of my jawline, extending down onto my neck area under my chin. The next morning, the red bumps were still there, but they were joined by their friends the pimples, which had appeared all over my chin and cheeks. That sealed it...I was going to try it with a primer underneath, or trying it with the matching pressed powder, but if it's going to give me zits and a rash then forget it. I work too hard to keep my skin clear to have some stupid, nasty foundation ruin it.

Oh yeah, and about SPF? Putting SPF in makeup is just to fool consumers into buying a product. You can't put on makeup with SPF and expect it to protect you all day. In fact, you can't put on SPF lotion/cream alone once a day and expect it to protect you all day. You have to reapply during the day for continuous protection. So unless you're prepared to take off all your foundation at least once a day, possibly more, and reapply, then SPF is pretty much useless in makeup. Carry an umbrella or wear a hat.

If it works for you, great, but it didn't work at all for me. I would say, if this is a foundation that works for you, just take off the stupid brush (why does PF resort to such gimmicks, anyway?) and use a makeup wedge. Once you've applied, stick the square fat part of the makeup wedge over the hole and screw the lid back on, with the skinny flat part scrunched up in the lid. This keeps the foundation from leaking all over the place.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Ok, I am a sucker for makeup products with anti-aging ingredients. I knew better but I bought this anyway. First the packaging it is in is terrible. A tube of foundation with an attached applicator is oh so unsantitary. But even if it did not have the attached brush, the foundation still looks fake no matter how I apply it. Gives little to no coverage. The pictures on the packaging are great. Look at the results you will get in ... 10 minutes!! And then after 10 days, you will be a new person. Absolutely nothing happens to my skin from using this. The active wrinkle fighters used in this are hexapeptide-6 and vitamin C both of which degrade rapidly. Which makes me ponder why this is in a tube that always stays open due to the attached brush. ( yes, you can put the lid back on the brush but the tube opening is still getting way too much air exposure. Worst purchase I've made in a year.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I returned this makeup after one use. I did not like the way that you had to squeeze the foundation through a foundation brush that was attached to the top of the tube. I found application with this brush a bit tricky and had to use my own sponge to finish it off. I also did not like the way that the foundation actually seemed to call attention to my wrinkles. I am 37 and am beginning to develop wrinkles on my forhead and around my eyes, and this stuff seemed to accentuate my wrinkles, not smooth them. I did not give the make up a chance to do any of the repairing of the skin that it claims to do, because I couldn't stand the way I looked. I even had a rebate that would have made the makeup free, but I returned it instead. Definitely will not repurchase.

on 4/12/2007 11:55:00 AM

I see all the negative reviews.I on the other hand really liked this product.Although I agree..Y need to use a sponger for application..I use this for work and it holds up better then most evewn my..merle norman foundation comes off on my clothing while I work...This however didnt.cudos..And since I have oily skin it didnt seem to clog my pores and cause acne which is a battle for me at the age of 39..I will buy this again..The only problem I have is that it leaked from the side of the tube...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is an interesting idea for a makeup--adding GABA for wrinkles. It does a decent job of taking care of the creases. Because it is such a thick liquid, I usually only apply it to areas of my face where there are creases. You do not have to apply a lot. In fact, it looks much better if you apply this makeup sparingly--for heavens sake, use a sponge, not the silly brush that's attached. I haven't had ANY of the problems of the reviewers below. It doesn't settle into my fine lines, either. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good product IF you want some boost your fight against wrinkles. If you are young (20s, early 30s), please don't buy it. It's not made for you.

on 1/27/2007 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I'm a PPP and I wear BB Porcelain. I'm a pale ivory with yellow undertones.

I bought this in Classic Ivory. The color was a good match.

I was skeptical about the brush, it seems like a cheap knock off of YSL Touch Eclat foundation, I was surprised that it did blend the product nicely, but I wondered how to wash the brush without getting water into the foundation? I can't just leave the brush unwashed, that seems gross!

My skin is combination and I don't need a lot of coverage. What made me dislike this product is that it settled into my pores like little flesh toned dots and it stayed that way all day! My pores aren't so big and I don't get this effect from other foundations.

I didn't notice any facial firming effect (and to be honest,I wasn't expecting any). I suggest you save your money. I'll be returning this to Walgreens.