3.5

Reviews

1.0
from

4 years ago

Better than Walking in Air, but still altogether too much of a strong dirt note. I can smell a little "cold" in this one, however.

About reviewer (763 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Other, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

10 years ago

This is the sort of nostalgic and personal scent that I’m a sucker for, although I really did, do, and will forever, hate winter. The winters from my childhood were much colder than they were for Mr. Brosius, this isn’t blowing snow and minus forty wind chills, just cool, peaceful earth. Apart from the earthiness, trying to focus on the story he’s telling with it is too much work for me, but it can be enjoyed as a pleasant, slightly spicy scent. But be warned, it does evoke memories and emotions and if you wear it around me, I’ll probably try to hug you and tell you how much I love you.

About reviewer (65 reviews)

Age

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairOther, Straight, Fine

11 years ago

The second I smelled this I was amazed to witness the dead on duplication of melting snow encrusted on wool mittens. It's superb, and almost dangerously evocative. I'm still fairly uncertain if I would purchase this again,simply due to the slightly high pitched edges of the notes. I smell snow, water, gentle undertones of amber, all of which dissipates ridiculously fast. I love CB I Hate Perfume for creating these fragrances, and less so for marketing them as wearable fragrances at 60 dollars a pop.

About reviewer (46 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

3.0

12 years ago

I like CB perfumes very much, and try to sample as many as I can. I always find them interesting, though many are not what I would call wearable. Winter 1972 is no exception. I got a strong dirt note at first. Not the pretty wet soil note that I loved in To See a Flower. This was musty, stinky dirty dirt. Then the "wet mittens" note. Wet wool is not as bad as wet dog smell, but not far off. I'm not liking Winter at all here. Then a faint mint note comes out. This must be the "frozen earth" part. It's not toothpaste mint. It's just something extremely light and just slightly cool to the nose. It's very delicate and pretty. I wouldn't know what snow smells like, anyway, except cold, so this is as good an interpretation as any. A very light mint over pine, but distant and faint. I will finish up my little decant of this over the summer, as light, cool scents are preferred in the heat, but I wouldn't buy this one again.

About reviewer (511 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

12 years ago

This smells cold like L'Eau d'Hiver but L'Eau d'Hiver is more of a perfume. This is more of a scent memory just like it is supposed to be. Ld'H has a hay note. This has a mild smell of dirt but over that is an ozonic, wet scent that smells, as one reviewer described it, like detergent in the wet winter clothes as they dry out. It is just like coming in after making snow angels in the snow and warming up in front of the heater with your snow clothes still on. The heater begins to spot warm but you are still very cold. The mild dirt note gives it the "cold" feeling. I love it. I don't usually like ozonic scents but this one is only mildly so. Great scent.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

SkinOther

HairBrunette

EyesGreen

3.0

12 years ago

Winter 1972 smells . . . fine. I can't tell the difference between this fragrance and Demeter's "Snow". It just doesn't smell like winter to me -- nothing about it suggests cold. It doesn't have any sharpness like L'eau d'Hiver. And it's sweet. Is it supposed to be the smell of winter indoors?

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinDry, Other

HairBlack

12 years ago

I guess I'm the odd person out here because I'm not getting that dirt note that others are. I get clean laundry. This totally makes me think of being little and coming in from the cold and all the times my Mother put my wet mittens and snowpants on the radiator to dry. It would smell like steam, water, and the detergent that was in those clothes. I say this is a good way. It does conjur up images of my childhood for me. There is also a faint fir note after it had completely dried.I don't know what to call that snow scent, it's ozonic, clean, watery smelling. Very interesting scent. I decided to spend my money on Mr Brosius's other holiday scent, Gingerbread, this time but I think there may be a bottle of this in my future for sure. There is nothing else like this out there anywhere in the perfume world.

About reviewer (418 reviews)

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

12 years ago

(WaterPerfume) This smelled at first like muddy snow (like the trampled, dirty snow of a sidewalk or trail), then the wet woolen mittens emerged, and I swear now I can even smell a brand-new Krazy Karpet! I suspect Mr. Brosius actually used melted snow for the water in this water perfume. This to me is not new-fallen, pre-holiday snow in December but gives a sense of late winter, like early February. I am liking this, it really does have a cold sense to it, like winter air, though it isn't 'crisp' at all. This is like nothing else and makes me want to sample everything from CB. I'm not sure if I would personally wear this as a body scent but it certainly isn't unwearable by any means. It's an interesting little journey in a bottle (or vial or whatever). I'd say save sampling this one for summertime if you can, I feel one might appreciate it more then. But do sample this. UPDATE: I decided to sample this on a hot and muggy summer afternoon, and it smells essentially the same, but somehow more wearable and pleasant. It reminds me of the faintly-chlorinated wafts you get while approaching the indoor pool area in nice hotels. It makes me feel relaxed and serene but does not really suggest winter to me under the present conditions. UPDATE: Here's a thought: to me, in general, Winter 1972 smells like EL Pleasures minus the flowers...

About reviewer (489 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

13 years ago

This is an unusual scent. The first note I get is dirt. Just plain dirt. But strangely, I like it. As it develops, however, the dirt note becomes less prominent. I can't tell you what the other notes are, because I don't get any particular scent from it, other than to say that it does, indeed, smell like winter. I don't know how Christopher Brosius captured the smell of winter, but he did. Winter 1972 smells like a light frost in a forest. It also has a slightly dusty note, something like Passage d'Enfer does, at least to me. It's a thoroughly strange scent, and I keep thinking "I shouldn't like this," when I'm wearing it, and yet, I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

About reviewer (312 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrunette

13 years ago

Full disclosure: I Hate Demeter. I have just never gotten the deal with that line of "fragrances." I mean, Playdough? Gin and Tonic? Jelly Bellies? Who wants to smell like that?? So, knowing that Christopher Brosius introduced the Demeter line before leaving to form CB I Hate Perfume was not exactly a selling point for me to try this line. However, I couldn't help but be sucked in by some of the reviews - fragrance memories I actually had and enjoyed - so I gave this one a try. I was immediately struck by how much this fragrance reminded me of another fragrance I love, L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer. True to its name, this is a chilly perfume, and it stays cold on me. That's not a bad thing at all, and I would look forward to wearing this, as I do Passage d'Enfer, on those hottest days of summer when snow is a longed-for memory. What's most present for for me is the cold, cold earth: wet, green, slightly sweet, with all the potential of spring and rebirth bound up in it. There also seems to be a touch of myrrh and incense like that in Passage d'Enfer. I think that Winter 1972 evokes for me an early spring snow in a churchyard, tiny flowers in suspended animation under snowfall, the sweet, dank earth of newly turned soil, the wet wool of the caretaker's gloves, the cold feel of wet stones, and the slightly dank smell of the old stone church. It is absolutely a memory fragrance, but it's one that I would happily wear.

About reviewer (221 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool